HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How Did This Kings Team Finish 8th in the West?

Old
05-13-2012, 08:39 PM
FromTheSide

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fahrenheit View Post
You realize they went 9-1 in the playoffs against the president trophy winners and the #2 seed blues right?
So which team did LA brutalize so bad that they counted it as 5 wins?

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 08:39 PM
LordCyrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitat View Post
Umm your forgeting vancouver is in an easy division... any other division they would be at max the #6 seed. St louis first year in playoffs since being sweeped years ago.......
St Louis still had a great year and won probably the toughest division in the league. Another excuse?

LordCyrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 08:42 PM
TTOMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajuabju View Post
Kings lost on purpose so they could face Vancouver in the 1st round
Haha, yup. It was an ambush!

TTOMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 08:44 PM
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
So which team did LA brutalize so bad that they counted it as 5 wins?
Vancouver. They tore Luongo's heart out of his chest which counted for another.

irishlaxburger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 08:51 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Phoenix and San Jose went on a win streak at the end of the season while LA lost their last two. In the end, the Pacific division finished with:

Phoenix 97 points
San Jose 96 points
LA 95 points

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 09:57 PM
Mad Max

In actuality, they're better than the 8th seed. They were 2 wins away from being 3rd.

Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 10:07 PM
HookKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
This. One of the worst coaches I've ever had the displeasure of seeing. And we once had Marc Crawford. Don't get me wrong Terry is great at the defensive side but his "offensive scheme" was just brutal and absolutely stifled the offense.
This is it precisely, Sutter has them playing hockey -- not run and stick to a spot on the perimeter when you cross the blueline.

HookKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlaxburger2 View Post
Just wondering if anyone could give me a breakdown of how this team finished 8th. Kopitar, Brown, Richards, and Carter up front. Doughty and Quick in the back. Quick obviously had a Vezina-type year.

What happened? What glaring deficiencies did they have? Were those deficiencies solely regular season-based (ie. short term injuries) or could they rear their head again these playoffs?

Is this the best 8th seed ever?
They had a lot of problems scoring under Terry Murray ... after a coaching change and the trade deadine deal bringing in Carter, they became a much improved team. I had Kopitar and Brown in my hockey pool, and I had to endure long slumps when the Kings couldn't score. It's a real shame they had to put it together just in time to eliminate my favourite team. What trolls!

Best 8th seed ever? Well, they'll have to make the finals first to beat out the '06 Oilers. If you're into Sabremetrics, the folks at Hockey Prospectus did call the Kings "the best 8th seed since the lockout" before the playoffs and predicted them to beat the Canucks based on advanced stats.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Alisa
Quickie fangirl

We underperformed, had holes in our team, and the wrong coach for where we wanted to be.

Those problems were corrected, which added a huge boost to our confidence and things started happening.

Sutter and Carter are kinda like the ruby slippers. We think that's why w are winning, but they had it in them all the time. Just needed to feel confident enough to play correctly.

We had these components all along, it just didn't click right until the end of the season.

Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 10:53 PM
cheap77
Go Kings!

A HUGE Thank You to the San Jose Sharks!!! If they didn't come back against us and win the last 2 games of the season.. Things could be very different. Instead, we get Vancouver and they get St. Louis. We move to the next round and they get bounced in the first. Things are going good!

cheap77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 10:56 PM
fools russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
They had a lot of problems scoring under Terry Murray ... after a coaching change and the trade deadine deal bringing in Carter, they became a much improved team. I had Kopitar and Brown in my hockey pool, and I had to endure long slumps when the Kings couldn't score. It's a real shame they had to put it together just in time to eliminate my favourite team. What trolls!

Best 8th seed ever? Well, they'll have to make the finals first to beat out the '06 Oilers. If you're into Sabremetrics, the folks at Hockey Prospectus did call the Kings "the best 8th seed since the lockout" before the playoffs and predicted them to beat the Canucks based on advanced stats.
Even one of the guys at canucksarmy.com predicted the Kings would win the series in 6 based on advanced stats.

fools russian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Alisa
Quickie fangirl

Respect to Terry Murray and his system though. It's having that defense first mindset before getting aggressive with our newly found offense which is helping us shut teams down.

Well, two teams. Only one game down, Coyotes are nowhere near not scaring me yet.

Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
It's quite simple: they underachieved.
Pretty much 90% this. The other 10% was that it was Murray's time to go. Murray served a great purpose in teaching a young team a solid defensive structure. Hell, Kopitar is the solid 2-way center he is today because of Murray. But in saying that, Murray had no idea how to teach the offensive side of the game and it became clear that the Kings started to tune him out, no matter what they say.
Enter Sutter, who had the same defensive structure as Murray but could also teach the team how to add offense to that defensive structure. It took a bit to get the Murray taught mindset out, but the addition of Carter seemed to really help. Now we are seeing the Kings everybody expected and more.
Since the trade deadline the Kings have been one the top teams in the league in not only points but also offense. It might read 8th seed beside their names in the playoffs bracket, but by no means is this an 8th place team.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:15 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlaxburger2 View Post
Just wondering if anyone could give me a breakdown of how this team finished 8th. Kopitar, Brown, Richards, and Carter up front. Doughty and Quick in the back. Quick obviously had a Vezina-type year.

What happened? What glaring deficiencies did they have? Were those deficiencies solely regular season-based (ie. short term injuries) or could they rear their head again these playoffs?

Is this the best 8th seed ever?
They under-achieved all year long, very frustrating for a season-ticket holder, believe me.

Their power play sucked all year long, and still sucks. Other than that, I can't complain at all the last quarter of the season and the playoffs (obviously).

They were 13-5-3 in their last 21 and with a 9-1 playoff record, that makes them 22-6-3 in the past 31. Sutter himself is 34-12-10 since he came on.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:24 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Terry Murray is a great coach to a young team needing defensive structure. He implemented that in the Kings when they were rebuilding.

However, his biggest faults lie in his lack of adaptability, his lack of communication, and his lack of emotion. His system limited aggression; when there was a 50/50 puck, the Kings were told to hang back and not take any chances, thus creating an emotionally devoid team who, despite their talents, didn't have aggression, and thus the offensive play suffered.

Since Sutter has been brought in, there has been a lot more communication, passion, and the players play aggressively, battling for every puck and forcing turnovers. However, there's still the defensive system and structure that Murray implemented.

It took a long time, after Murray's firing, for the Kings to start regaining confidence in themselves and having that emotional attachment to the game.

Finally, Brown really struggled as a captain for most of the season. He started leading by example after rumors of Brown being shopped were circulating. The team, in turn, has responded to Brown's increased intensity.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:26 PM
Sybil227

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
This. One of the worst coaches I've ever had the displeasure of seeing. And we once had Marc Crawford. Don't get me wrong Terry is great at the defensive side but his "offensive scheme" was just brutal and absolutely stifled the offense.
TM was a really good coach - who just couldn't take us to the next level or adjust his style to the players we had after 'Zues, Simmonds, and Smyth left.
But he was a Godsend after the debacle known as Marc Crawford. He gave a really young team structure, stability, and poise. He made Kopitar into the player who should be a finalist for the Selke this year. He created the structure and poise on this team that allowed Darryl Sutter to come in & ramp it up.
TM reached his limits - and we floundered because of it. But to call him a horrible coach is just wrong in so many ways. Quite frankly, if I was Tampa or the Islanders, I'd be giving TM a good hard look. He teaches the game the right way and can get a team playing and moving the right way. So he's one dimensional. Without that dimension we wouldn't be where we are.

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:27 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
In my opinion this is a completely different team than the last 20 regular season games. In the last regular season games they played a 1-2-2 if my memory recalls correctly. They were very passive and relied on great team defense in the d-zone w/ goaltending by Quick to steal games.

Now - we have a team that is playing almost like Phoenix did through the first two rounds. The north/south aggression is just as good as Pittsburgh did it in 2009. It's amazing. Phoenix is forcing east/west passes and it's getting them nowhere.

The transformation is amazing, but the players are 100% bought in. Their transition, tenacity, and aggression is just superb to watch. It's the way hockey should be played.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:30 PM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

There is so much misinformation in this thread it's not even worth quoting it all.

Over the last 15 games of the season the LA Kings were the best team in the league.

Mostly, adding Jeff Carter (great 2-way forward) and losing Jack Johnson (defensive disaster) really got them going.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:36 PM
RewBicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitat View Post
Umm your forgeting vancouver is in an easy division... any other division they would be at max the #6 seed. St louis first year in playoffs since being sweeped years ago.......
Nope.

RewBicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:41 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Most of the posters have covered most of the reasons already, but I just want to say it's not just one specific thing. It's a combination of factors that have this post-season Kings team performing at levels that we Kings fans could only dream about during the regular season. The combination of having Sutter at the reins since December; having King, Nolan, and Voynov called up and performing way above what you'd expect from what are essentially still rookies; the Carter trade; Brown being mentioned in trade rumors (which really seemed to wake him up); Kopitar waking up from his annual mid-season slumber... so many things have come together to make this team what we've seen in the post-season.

Can you imagine what we'd be seeing if Lombardi had done what he should have done and fired Kompon (the Kings PP coach) as well as TMurray?

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:47 PM
dogyekcoh*

Here is a humor answer. Someone forgot to turn on the switch until PO time.

dogyekcoh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:50 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

best 8th seed in sports history ... SERIOUSLY

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:51 PM
sharksohnoes!
yeahokayidiot

Because Dan Boyle in overtime? Damn you Boyle. DAAAAMN YOUUUUUU.

sharksohnoes! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:52 PM
cheap77
Go Kings!

Sutter has this team playing some amazing hockey. The old kings would take a lead and then back off. Now they take a lead and just keep coming with 2 forecheckers. The mindset seems to be if they get a long stretch pass we got quick to bail us out. This team is very exciting to watch or TMs team.

cheap77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:58 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

I think I can finally forgive Clowe.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote