HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

Memorial Cup

Old
05-19-2012, 09:58 PM
KnightRanger

vCash: 500
I know it's only one game, but to me it was pretty evident the Sea Dogs didn't have to beat a worthy opponent to get here. Let's see how they do against the Oil Kings. 2 weak goals by Houser and a huge save on Knight or the game isn't even close. No effort from the Champs in game 1.

Knights continue to relish in underdog role. Keep it going!!!

KnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:06 AM
OHLTG

Looking at the Q playoffs, the highest rated team Saint John had to face was Rimouski, who was 7th or something in the standings (overall). Not that I'm saying STJ isn't good, because clearly their 50-win regular season says they are, but, yeah, their road to the Cup wasn't overly difficult.

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 04:48 PM
aresknights

Game 2 for the Knights in about 1 1/2 hrs.

Same gameplan boyz!

You just cant afford an off game in this tourney format.

aresknights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:17 PM
big papa

I think if London wins tonight it would be Smart to rest Houser even if you let him play the First Period of the 3rd game just incase he does get hurt

big papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:05 PM
SignThornton
BEAST MODE

Send a message via AIM to SignThornton Send a message via MSN to SignThornton Send a message via Yahoo to SignThornton
Shawinigan came out to play tonight, showed London up 6-2.

Impressive.

Gonna be a tough game Tuesday night for the Knights.

SignThornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 08:06 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Waved off London goal in the 3rd should have counted.

rule book: Should the puck strike the spectator netting at the ends and the corners of the arena, play shall be stopped and the ensuing face-off shall be determined as if the puck went outside the playing area. However, if the puck striking the spectator netting goes unnoticed by the on-ice officials, play shall continue as normal and resulting play with the puck shall be deemed a legitimate play. Players must not stop playing the game until they hear the whistle to do so.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:17 AM
youngblood10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Waved off London goal in the 3rd should have counted.

rule book: Should the puck strike the spectator netting at the ends and the corners of the arena, play shall be stopped and the ensuing face-off shall be determined as if the puck went outside the playing area. However, if the puck striking the spectator netting goes unnoticed by the on-ice officials, play shall continue as normal and resulting play with the puck shall be deemed a legitimate play. Players must not stop playing the game until they hear the whistle to do so.
Only problem with this is that it was noticed by the on-ice official. That's why the play was not deemed legitimate. The players do have to play until the whistle is blown but the ref can end a play without blowing the whistle.

youngblood10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Libbs

This anthem singer needs to blow her nose before singing.

Libbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:17 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
This anthem singer needs to blow her nose before singing.

4 1-1 teams. Momemtum and favourites changing nightly. Hopefully the Knights turn again tonight.
Edmonton goes back to back, but they got spanked so I dont expect a letdown mentally. Well see how their legs respond.
The Knights have to get back to THEIR game tonight or face a tiebreaker game.

aresknights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:19 AM
HLLYWD99

Houser looked pretty ordinary on Sunday for the first time in the post season, hopefully he finds his "A" game again.

HLLYWD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:33 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

I'd like to see a Shawinigan/St.John final. Everyone has bad-mouthed the hosts this year, and they straight up spanked the Knights.

Anyone who says London are underdogs is hoping for a storyline. They won the OHL. That's not "relishing in the underdog role".

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:16 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I'd like to see a Shawinigan/St.John final. Everyone has bad-mouthed the hosts this year, and they straight up spanked the Knights.

Anyone who says London are underdogs is hoping for a storyline. They won the OHL. That's not "relishing in the underdog role".
That's pretty funny to hear London fans talk of being an underdog. I have no issue with anybody saying Saint John are the favorites but to make it out that London is some type of underdog in this tournament below the other 2 teams is laughable. What makes London a bigger underdog than Edmonton? Both London and Edmonton should be favored over Shawinigan considering they didn't even get out of the 2nd round. Maybe pounding the drum as underdog is to use it as a crutch if they don't win the Memorial Cup.

RayzorIsDull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:37 PM
Sec108

Edmonton looks terrible out there vs London.PP is bad esp with a 5 min and at full strngth shots way off Houser.hard to believe they are the WHL champs.

Shawinigan is the dark horse be very afraid.If they play like they did against London they will win this tourney.

Sec108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:33 PM
KnightRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
That's pretty funny to hear London fans talk of being an underdog. I have no issue with anybody saying Saint John are the favorites but to make it out that London is some type of underdog in this tournament below the other 2 teams is laughable. What makes London a bigger underdog than Edmonton? Both London and Edmonton should be favored over Shawinigan considering they didn't even get out of the 2nd round. Maybe pounding the drum as underdog is to use it as a crutch if they don't win the Memorial Cup.
London has been tagged the underdog in this series for the following reasons.

1 - They are the youngest team ever to attend the Memorial Cup

2 - Most picked Kitchener over London in round 3 of the playoffs

3 - Even more picked the Ice Dogs to beat them in the OHL Final

4 - Prior to the tournament most have written off any chance of Shawingan winning, but clearly the Sea Dogs are the heavy favorites, with most picking them to play Edmonton in the final prior to the event beginning.

Very much like the Spits the first time they won! Most picked Barrie to beat them in the final that year of the playoffs and being a very young team, they didn't get the credit they deserved that year. They were the clear favorites the 2nd time around, just like the Sea Dogs are this year. Much like the Knights will be next year!!!

KnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:48 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRanger View Post

4 - Prior to the tournament most have written off any chance of Shawingan winning, but clearly the Sea Dogs are the heavy favorites, with most picking them to play Edmonton in the final prior to the event beginning.

Very much like the Spits the first time they won! Most picked Barrie to beat them in the final that year of the playoffs and being a very young team, they didn't get the credit they deserved that year. They were the clear favorites the 2nd time around, just like the Sea Dogs are this year. Much like the Knights will be next year!!!
Why did most pick Kitchener over the Knights? London was the #1 seed and Kitchener was #3 there wasn't anything that pointed to Kitchener winning a best of 7 over London. Well if you continue to stack the deck against your team even if you lose I guess you end up happy.

Old
05-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Why did most pick Kitchener over the Knights? London was the #1 seed and Kitchener was #3 there wasn't anything that pointed to Kitchener winning a best of 7 over London. Well if you continue to stack the deck against your team even if you lose I guess you end up happy.
Kitchener won more games in during the regular season. In their regular seasons games:
Kitchener won 5-4
Kitchener won 4-2
Kitchener won 8-3
London won 4-3
London won 5-1
Kitchener won 1-0

I thought London had a great chance to win the Kitchener series seeing as they ended up going to 7 games against Plymouth. Wasn't expecting to win in 4 games though.

Last edited by Grant: 05-22-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Grant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:36 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

The Cats are the clear underdog here, and showed why not to take them lightly. At the end of the day, i still think the Sea Dogs win it.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:47 PM
Bruinvasion
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It's official. No matter what London fans post, it's wrong in the other teams' fans' eyes. If London fans get excited about their team, they're called cocky and arrogant. But if they think their team might lose (which was a fair thought this season) they're still wrong. Some people need to get a life.

Bruinvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:54 PM
jjyay

Quote:
Did anyone say London was an underdog versus Shawinigan?

Before the tournement everyone was picking SNB to win, and London/Edmonton to finish second (people seemed to give Edmonton a slight edge - they did have that incredible 22 game win streak, maybe that's why).

But honestly, I think if you asked people (before the Mem Cup started) to pick either Saint John or the field, the majority would have taken Saint John, so any of the other teams could be considered underdogs.

jjyay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 06:52 AM
big papa

So Sence London Won 4-1 Against Edmonton they make the Semi Finals If Shawinigan Win sence they lost to Shawinigan but if the Sea Dogs Win London is in the Semis. Edmonton play the Looser in the Tie Breaker game.

With both London and Edmonton they have a Young team Edmonton Has 9 Players 94 or 95 Births while London has 10.

They both have a god crop of young forwards. Edmonton has 9 Players who could play next year with out any OA while London has 9 as well. London has 4 forwards 92 Born in Names, Watson, McKegg, Knight all with a high chance of playing in the AHL next year while Edmonton has 3 players 92 born in Wruck, Foster, Pelss.

Both teams have a D-core that has NHL Draft picks or Players in there draft year with Lowe, Pysyk, Gernat Drafted while Reinhart and Sautner Draft Elig for Edmonton while Harrington, Tinordi Drafted with Matta Draft Elig. Edmonton has a younger D-core with 7 of the 8 players able to return while London has 3 of the 8 Players able to return with out including OA's for Both

London Decided to get Older upfront at the deadline so that there younger players would get a good Playoff run getting McKegg, Watson While Edmonton got Peddle, Maxwell Before the Deadline.

Edmonton has a Goalie in Brossoit who has a good chance of Making the WJ team for Canada and a young 95 in Jarry who played in 14 Games while London Has Houser who has a good chance of playing pro next season while Having Patterson who is a 94 who played 6 Games and Teichmann who well was bad.

Both Teams have a good chance of making it back to the Memorial cup in the next 2 Years while both are Underdogs in the Memorial Cup London is the Older team but Edmonton has more potential in my eyes.

From the way they talk the Ice seems to get Better after every game

big papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRanger View Post

Most experts had London in the finals against St. Johns. I didnt see anyone who selected London to lose to Kitchener, as London was the best team in the OHL all year long. Intetesting about the youngest team, I think that Edmonton is just as young this season.

Does'nt really matter, but I don't see London as any kind of underdog, they are the second favourite.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 08:49 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I sort of saw Saint John as "the favourite", and then 3 other teams. Maybe Shawinigan "the underdog" if any, just given that they didn't progress too far in their league playoffs and maybe lacked some star-power name recognition factor on their roster. FWIW.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
In my opinion:

Pre Tournament:
1. Sea Dogs
2. Oli Kings
3. Knights
4. Shawinigan

Now:
1. Sea Dogs/Knights
2. Sea Dogs/Knights
3. Shawinigan/Oil Kings
4. Shawinigan/Oil Kings

If Shawinigan beats the Sea Dogs tonight (depends on the score and how the teams play as well though), I would probably change it too:
1. Knights/Shawinigan (very slight edge to Knights)
2. Shawinigan/Knights
3. Sea Dogs
4. Oil Kings

Grant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 09:47 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post
Kitchener won more games in during the regular season. In their regular seasons games:
Kitchener won 5-4
Kitchener won 4-2
Kitchener won 8-3
London won 4-3
London won 5-1
Kitchener won 1-0

I thought London had a great chance to win the Kitchener series seeing as they ended up going to 7 games against Plymouth. Wasn't expecting to win in 4 games though.
So that means Windsor should have been considered no worse than 50-50 to beat London in round 1 after all they tied the season series.

Old
05-23-2012, 09:50 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Most experts had London in the finals against St. Johns. I didnt see anyone who selected London to lose to Kitchener, as London was the best team in the OHL all year long. Intetesting about the youngest team, I think that Edmonton is just as young this season.

Does'nt really matter, but I don't see London as any kind of underdog, they are the second favourite.
Finally a voice a reason. Also I am not that sure about this whole youngest team ever at the Memorial Cup for London. In 09 Windsor was very young they had 3 OA's which might be the difference but they had more capable returnees the next year which would make their team pretty young.