HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

Memorial Cup

Old
05-23-2012, 10:36 AM
aresknights

vCash: 500
Fair to say Saint John was the fav going in (and prolly still so- althou the gaps been closed) and the rest were a coin flip.
Reading back thru this thread its not like people were saying the Knights were huge underdogs to Edm or Shaw.
Its often hard to judge, with no common opponents and the set up of the tourney to handicap it.
Its been as close as its ever been with a big factor (IMO) being back to backs. Both times the team playing its second in 2 nights looked flat.

Quote:
Why did most pick Kitchener over the Knights? London was the #1 seed and Kitchener was #3 there wasn't anything that pointed to Kitchener winning a best of 7 over London. Well if you continue to stack the deck against your team even if you lose I guess you end up happy.
I loved the Ktown matchup and posted so. I just think some of more active, less positive posters went on about it and on other boards. The reg season didnt mean a lot to me in terms of matchups.
As far as ending up happy--not sure thats it as much as some fans just kept waiting for them to fall apart and choose to look at perceived weaknesses instead of the positives and jsut really didnt believe they could do it. Almost looked like they were posting only to show they were right all year, jumping on negatives, and theyve yet to get confirmation their perception this team had too many holes, couldnt get it done type stuff

Relax and enjoy Knights fans, these type seasons dont come around often. The Knigths may or may not win the last game of the year but they definitely have a chance. And not a bad one either.

Last edited by aresknights: 05-23-2012 at 11:34 AM.
aresknights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:10 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
So that means Windsor should have been considered no worse than 50-50 to beat London in round 1 after all they tied the season series.
Personally I wouldn't have put it at a 50-50 chance but I was worried about the series against Windsor, I was surprised we swept the spits. Coaching is an underrated factor in my opinion and Windsor has coaching. I was thinking the Spits would win a game and maybe steal a game or two as well.

Grant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Otto

What an embarrassing performance by Shawinigan and thier fans

Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 09:38 PM
big papa

London Advances to the Final While Saint Johns will play either Edmonton or Shawinigan in the Semis Friday

big papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by big papa View Post
London Advances to the Final While Saint Johns will play either Edmonton or Shawinigan in the Semis Friday
I'm hoping for an extremely chippy game on friday resulting in many many many suspensions haha

Old
05-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Knighthammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
What an embarrassing performance by Shawinigan and thier fans
Yeah, it was getting nasty. Big to the guy who threatened to pour beer on the Sea Dog player who was in the box at the end of the game.

Anyways, Sunday can't come soon enough!

Knighthammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 03:51 AM
HLLYWD99

I see a Sea Dogs vs Knights final coming on Sunday and I hope and expect it to be a dandy.

HLLYWD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:42 AM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLLYWD99 View Post
I see a Sea Dogs vs Knights final coming on Sunday and I hope and expect it to be a dandy.
I see the same happening.

I think the Oil Kings will win the tie breaker due to Shawinigan having to play back to back and then I think the Sea Dogs will beat the Oil Kings again, especially since it would be the Oil Kings playing back to back now. If Shawinigan manages to beat the Oil Kings in the tie breaker, they will be just too tired (3rd game in as many nights) I think to win against the Sea Dogs in the semis. Basically whoever the Sea Dogs play in the semis will be too tired to beat them I think haha. London will have had 4 days off I think it is by the time of the finals? Hopefully they are not rusty.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:24 AM
aresknights

Well we know its a OHL/QMJHL finals.

Do the Knights get the defending champs or the host team? I wouldnt be suprised if either get thru, but Id guess SJ

Either way the Knigths will have their hands full.

Old
05-25-2012, 10:25 AM
HLLYWD99

Tonights match up St John vs Shawinigan should be interesting to say the least.

Old
05-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Well we know its a OHL/QMJHL finals.

Do the Knights get the defending champs or the host team? I wouldnt be suprised if either get thru, but Id guess SJ

Either way the Knigths will have their hands full.
I think this speaks volumes about the OHL that the Knights are in the finals. IMHO......this past season was one of a bunch of good teams (no real great standouts teams as in seasons past) with the Knights being the best.
If the Knights do win (personally I'm cheering for their opponents) I can't wait till next season in which I believe there could be 3 or 4 teams (Owen Sound, Plymouth and Kitchener and London if Houser and Harrington returns) that could be head and shoulders above any team from this past OHL season.

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:00 PM
HLLYWD99

WOW gutsy effort by the Cataracts playing 3 in 3 and putting away the Sea Dogs. Should be a great final on Sunday.

Old
05-27-2012, 10:54 AM
aresknights

HAP

Watch out for the odd man rushes

Win faceoffs (theyre good in the circles)

Houser needs his game of the tourney

Active sticks, get in the shooting/passing lanes and block shots

Win the boards

Turn em an go! Counter attack and apitilize on chances

Who wants to step up and play the hero role today?

HAP

Old
05-27-2012, 12:14 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

When will they be announcing the hosts of the 2014 Memorial Cup? Doesn't that happen before or after the game tonight?

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:22 PM
HLLYWD99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
When will they be announcing the hosts of the 2014 Memorial Cup? Doesn't that happen before or after the game tonight?
NO It;s going to Windsor for sure so don't sweat it.

Old
05-28-2012, 06:27 AM
chrysleraspen08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
During the 2013 Memorial Cup.

chrysleraspen08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:19 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

You can't ask for a better final game than that. Great job by both teams. Actually, by all four teams this year. Great tournament to watch.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happy with the outcome though.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
You can't ask for a better final game than that. Great job by both teams. Actually, by all four teams this year. Great tournament to watch.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happy with the outcome though.
To be honest....I was just as happy if the Rangers would've won the Memorial Cup!

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:24 AM
HLLYWD99

Tough loss in a great game that ended a great tournament and the Knights should hold their headss high.

I for one thought that they could have been picked off by the Rangers and gave them no chance vs the Ice Dogs.

They got to the final through the front door and I am also not a fan of the host getting a free pass to this tourney after the other 3 teams have to win a League Championship(a far more difficult a task).

The Knights organization, the Hunters and the fans should be proud of this teams accomplishments in 2011/2012.

Old
05-28-2012, 10:39 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLLYWD99 View Post
Tough loss in a great game that ended a great tournament and the Knights should hold their headss high.

I for one thought that they could have been picked off by the Rangers and gave them no chance vs the Ice Dogs.

They got to the final through the front door and I am also not a fan of the host getting a free pass to this tourney after the other 3 teams have to win a League Championship(a far more difficult a task).

The Knights organization, the Hunters and the fans should be proud of this teams accomplishments in 2011/2012.
While I agree with your sediments on the free pass. I am happy with the results.

Although I do give kudo's to the Knights on the run they had (that was tough to say). Pending on who they have come back, they could be in a similar position next year as well.

As for the tournament, it was entertaining through and through. Let the off-season officially begin!

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:31 PM
OHLArenaGuide

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysleraspen08 View Post
During the 2013 Memorial Cup.
Not exactly. The next year's organizing committee attends the current year's Cup to get an idea of organization and such. The OHL has always had a competitive bid (no back door deals or gentlemen's agreements like you occasionally see in the W or Q) so the list of bidders should be finalized by Christmas 2012, and a winner announced likely in early May 2013 before the playoffs wrap up.

Just to give you some idea, the London 2005 announcement was on May 7, 2004. Kitchener 2008 was May 9, 2007. Mississauga 2011 was May 10, 2010.

OHLArenaGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 06:39 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Any early (really early) guesses as to who may bid or even has a chance outside of Windsor.

Maybe Erie?- Renovations at Tullio should be done by 2014 and they have alot of young talent that will be around by then.

Would love to see Saginaw bid. They'll have the team for 2014 but the Dow may hold them back.

Kingpin794 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:35 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin794 View Post
Any early (really early) guesses as to who may bid or even has a chance outside of Windsor.

Maybe Erie?- Renovations at Tullio should be done by 2014 and they have alot of young talent that will be around by then.

Would love to see Saginaw bid. They'll have the team for 2014 but the Dow may hold them back.
I doubt any of the American based teams bid,mainly because the tournament is heavily sponsored by Cdn companies geared towards a Cdn market

hockeylegend11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:45 PM
Knighthammer

Knights will no doubt be bidding again, but from the east... maybe Oshawa?

Knighthammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:19 PM
OHLArenaGuide

I'd have to think it's between Windsor and Oshawa, with the newly renovated building in Erie making them a dark horse if they can actually put a decent team together. Kingston has the building but not the team or ownership necessary to pull off a successful Memorial Cup.

OHLArenaGuide is offline   Reply With Quote