HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1940!

Old
05-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Bauer Warrior*

vCash: 500
1940!

When this chant died, so did the rivalry.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 10:17 PM
JTforPres2012

I have to disagree with whoever thinks the rivalry is over. I went to an Isles Rags game at MSG when the Isles lost in OT with 6 seconds left. Even though that was the night after they blew that goal lead verse the Devils the energy in the game with the Rags with incredible. I know of people who went to games at the Coli and said crowd fights were going on and games between the two teams always are a treat.

IF the Isles were better, the rivalry would probably be enhanced, but I think these two teams always have and always will hate each other. At least the fans will!

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 10:56 PM
cfc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
The rivalry certainly did NOT die, it just stopped making it one sided.

The Rangers could beat up 10-0 at the Coliseum and it didn't matter, we had the last say with the chant. It is without a doubt the most derasive chant directed at a specific team ever created.

The proof:

--It drove Ranger fans crazy

--Even Whalers fans chanted it at Ranger fans in Hartford and Hartford had no won squat.

--Brian Leetch admitted later on that the chant did get into the heads of the players.

--Someone had written "1940" in the opposing teams penalty box at the Coliseum, when the Rangers found out about it, they complained. It remained and was never removed.

--In Vancouver for one of the games against the Rangers in the '94 finals, someone had snuck into the Rangers locker room and put a tag on every Ranger players bag "1940."

In no way has it changed the rivalry, no why? Because every Islander fan I know, including myself are pissed that the Rangers made it this far in the playoffs. Isles fans want the Devils to win more than Devils fans, yes they have a rivalry with the Rangers, but it is like NOTHING compared to what they have with us.

Seeing the Rangers win a cup is the worst thing that can happen to an Isles fan.

cfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:08 PM
Bauer Warrior*

The rivalry is dead, and the Islanders killed it!

The Islanders have never answered! Not only have they not won a Stanley Cup since the Rangers have, they haven't even won a playoff round!

There is nothing, NOTHING short of winning the Stanley Cup that the Islanders can do to piss off the Rangers or their fans! They have 1994!

The last time the Islanders made the Ranger fans quake was in 1984 in the Final against the Oilers, then we never got past the 2nd round again until 1993.

The Rangers were in the Final in 1979, then in the semi in 1986, then were real serious contenders in 1990, 91, and 92, had a setback in '93, won in '94, followed by co-misery right along with us in the mid-late 90's, save for a semis appearance in 1997. For the most part, the Rangers have always been in the game, and the "1940!" chant was the balancing act, not the scale tipper. When we lost the "1940!" chant, every chip went back onto the Rangers' side of the Libra. New York can only be a balanced market when the Islanders are superior. When they're not, it is most definitely a Ranger town.

Old
05-14-2012, 12:30 AM
SaintTavares

vCash: 578
Quote:

The Islanders have never answered! Not only have they not won a Stanley Cup since the Rangers have, they haven't even won a playoff round!

There is nothing, NOTHING short of winning the Stanley Cup that the Islanders can do to piss off the Rangers or their fans! They have 1994!

The last time the Islanders made the Ranger fans quake was in 1984 in the Final against the Oilers, then we never got past the 2nd round again until 1993.

The Rangers were in the Final in 1979, then in the semi in 1986, then were real serious contenders in 1990, 91, and 92, had a setback in '93, won in '94, followed by co-misery right along with us in the mid-late 90's, save for a semis appearance in 1997. For the most part, the Rangers have always been in the game, and the "1940!" chant was the balancing act, not the scale tipper. When we lost the "1940!" chant, every chip went back onto the Rangers' side of the Libra. New York can only be a balanced market when the Islanders are superior. When they're not, it is most definitely a Ranger town.
So one team having more success than the other means there can't be a rivalry? Before 2004, when the Red Sox didn't win since 1918, they didn't have a rivalry with the Yankees? And in a two team town, you are never going to get a even-balanced fanbase, but you can still have a rivalry

SaintTavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:32 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTavares View Post
So one team having more success than the other means there can't be a rivalry? Before 2004, when the Red Sox didn't win since 1918, they didn't have a rivalry with the Yankees? And in a two team town, you are never going to get a even-balanced fanbase, but you can still have a rivalry
Of course they had a rivalry with the Yankees. The Yankees were the envy of the entire New England region, especially when they caught fire again in the late 90's. Yeah, the Red Sox won in 04 and 07, but the Yankees were always a threat, then they won again in 09. Because of that tit for tat activity, the rivalry is still boiling. The Islanders and Rangers, on the other hand, isn't even a simmer. Hell, the pot isn't even on the stove!

Old
05-14-2012, 02:15 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Of course they had a rivalry with the Yankees. The Yankees were the envy of the entire New England region, especially when they caught fire again in the late 90's. Yeah, the Red Sox won in 04 and 07, but the Yankees were always a threat, then they won again in 09. Because of that tit for tat activity, the rivalry is still boiling. The Islanders and Rangers, on the other hand, isn't even a simmer. Hell, the pot isn't even on the stove!
No, the pot was taken to where they designed the third jerseys. (since the meth was used up during free agency)

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:25 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
No, the pot was taken to where they designed the third jerseys. (since the meth was used up during free agency)
Just as long as it's enroute to the kool-aid facotry!

Old
05-14-2012, 09:34 AM
StumpNYI

Bauer, I have been anticipating your coming out party. Is this finally it?

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:40 AM
19 in a row

The rivalry is not dead by any means, just a bit dormant. Fans are what keep rivalry alive. There may be players in sports I don't root for but there is only one team in all of pro sports that I truly HATE (irrational as it may be).

The rangers have had every advantage we have not, and to this point have not had success since 1994(prior to this year, they have gotten to the ECF once (1997) since they won the cup nearly 20 years ago). 1940 has been replaced by 1 since 40 in my mind. There are still plenty of heated conversations between Rangers/Islander fans (just we have less ammuntion).

We've been down so their fans may even outnumber us at the coliseum, but the atmosphere is definitely still a rivalry one and different from every other team.

We'll be back.

Gooooooo DEVILS!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 19 in a row: 05-14-2012 at 09:50 AM.
19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Janson
fireSNOW

This is like the last thread before the "Isles Fanbase Suicide Prevention Hotline thread". Come on guys, just one more "next year" to go, we will be back.

Janson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Noreaster96

Quote:

Yeah.... the rivalry isnt dead...

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Fantom

Quote:
maybe it died for you. However for most fans i think it is still there.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:59 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Potvin still sucks, though. right?

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Your 100% spot on..

While our team has been an utter failure for quite some time and the rivalry will obviously take a hit from that aspect but I don't buy that it's dead. Every time the horn sounds to give an Isles victory over the blueskirts its a sweet sweeeeeet feeling. But don't get me wrong I'll take an 0-6 season series with a playoff berth every single time.

Maybe it's the fact that the Rangers are 8 games from winning the cup blurring your vision Bauer Warrior.. It's frustrating for all of us to see the team we all hate succeed but hell doesn't that mean the rivalry still exists? I went out and bought a Karlsson and Ovechkin shirts over the past few weeks just so I could be vocal out at the bars against all the Rag fans! The rivalry lives and will be even better once (if) our team gets better..

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:43 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
As a Rangers fan, there is nothing more that I want than for the Islanders to get back to being an annual playoof team, a team that battles for the Conference title.

I rank the Rivalries as the Islanders, Flyers, Devils and Pens.

I do hope some of the moves that you have made and some of the moves you are going to make pan out so that we can get this Rangers/Islanders thing back to where it once was, that being one of the most heated rivalries in ALL of NHL History.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Hip Of Rick

The rivalry is still around but its not what it was and it is the Isles fault. Almost 20 straight years of being a bottom feeder ( save for a few years) its hard to have rivals. Why would Rangers fans care about the Isles when we have been irrelevant for so long. The Redsox/Yankees are the same when 1 team sucked for 15 years it was not the same.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:52 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

The rivalry is still alive for me. Not the same, but it will always be there. I hate the raggies and their fans with a passion. I used to really hate the players, but now its more the fans i cant stand. I actually have grown fond of a few of their players like Callahan and Stepan. Two american boys doing a good job in the NHL. I respect the Queen and the others i dont really hate as much as i used to when i was younger. Douchey Avery being the exception. Anyway, **** the Rags.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:14 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
The rivalry is still alive for me. Not the same, but it will always be there. I hate the raggies and their fans with a passion. I used to really hate the players, but now its more the fans i cant stand. I actually have grown fond of a few of their players like Callahan and Stepan. Two american boys doing a good job in the NHL. I respect the Queen and the others i dont really hate as much as i used to when i was younger. Douchey Avery being the exception. Anyway, **** the Rags.
Pretty much how I feel, the only player I truly hate on the Rangers is Dubinsky. It's the ****ing fans that piss me off more than anything. Anyways, like others have said...the rivalry is NOT dead, it's just extremely lopsided at this point which makes it A LOT less fun.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:39 PM
LongIslandCircus

I was actually a big fan of the rivalry in 2001-02 to be honest. The Webb/Cairns vs McCarthy/Purinton/McKenna/Fleury was always entertaining. Didnt hurt that the Isles were enjoying their best season in years while the Rags were.... well.... living up to their reputation of overpaid underacheivers.

Today, the on ice tension appears to have died down (mainly because we have a roster of kids) but the hate between fans seems to still exists. Being from Calgary, I finally made my first trip to New York in February and noticed that there is no common ground between fanbases. My friends and I decided to wear Isles jerseys to a pub by MSG (Flying Puck?) to root for the Caps who were playing the Rangers that night. It got pretty loud as both Ranger fans and us tried to drown each other out the entire first period. By the midway mark it died down as they couldn't figure out why we would all of a sudden boo the Caps whenever Hunter's ugly mug was shown on the screen.

Great times and a beautiful city you guys have.

LongIslandCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCircus View Post
I was actually a big fan of the rivalry in 2001-02 to be honest. The Webb/Cairns vs McCarthy/Purinton/McKenna/Fleury was always entertaining. Didnt hurt that the Isles were enjoying their best season in years while the Rags were.... well.... living up to their reputation of overpaid underacheivers.

Today, the on ice tension appears to have died down (mainly because we have a roster of kids) but the hate between fans seems to still exists. Being from Calgary, I finally made my first trip to New York in February and noticed that there is no common ground between fanbases. My friends and I decided to wear Isles jerseys to a pub by MSG (Flying Puck?) to root for the Caps who were playing the Rangers that night. It got pretty loud as both Ranger fans and us tried to drown each other out the entire first period. By the midway mark it died down as they couldn't figure out why we would all of a sudden boo the Caps whenever Hunter's ugly mug was shown on the screen.

Great times and a beautiful city you guys have.
You, sir, may have just presented the best argument for the rivalry having a pulse at some point since 1994.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:27 PM
startainfection

they still chant potvin sucks, the rivalry is not dead

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:47 PM
JTforPres2012

I say besides the rivalry between Canadian teams, the Isles Rags rivalry is one of the best in the NHL.

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
they still chant potvin sucks, the rivalry is not dead
What's our counter?

ri·val   [rahy-vuhl] Show IPA noun, adjective, verb, ri·valed, ri·val·ing or ( especially British ) ri·valled, ri·val·ling.
noun
a person who is competing for the same object or goal as another, or who tries to equal or outdo another; competitor.
a person or thing that is in a position to dispute another's preeminence or superiority: a stadium without a rival.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:59 PM
TROLLPOSO

As long as their douchy fans persist acting the way they do, I will always hate that franchise.

Plus now all the non-hockey fans acting like die-hards come out of the wood work. The ones that can't name more than one player at best.

Ugh. I hope the Devils get rid of them quickly.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote