HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1940!

Old
05-14-2012, 06:25 PM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

vCash: 500
One of these days, we shall have our revenge.

Didnt know about the 1940 in the Penalty Box. That's awesome.

RoseTintedVisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 06:59 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
What's our counter?

ri·val   [rahy-vuhl] Show IPA noun, adjective, verb, ri·valed, ri·val·ing or ( especially British ) ri·valled, ri·val·ling.
noun
a person who is competing for the same object or goal as another, or who tries to equal or outdo another; competitor.
a person or thing that is in a position to dispute another's preeminence or superiority: a stadium without a rival.
actually to that specifically the counter is potvin's cups

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 07:01 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
actually to that specifically the counter is potvin's cups
Honestly, that's weak.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 07:09 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Honestly, that's weak.
and potvin sucks is'nt? most ranger fans dont even know who he is despite being the best captain ever and 2nd best dman ever

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Hockify

Quote:
Honestly, that's weak.
Potvin is the one who said it though so it's really not.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
and potvin sucks is'nt? most ranger fans dont even know who he is despite being the best captain ever and 2nd best dman ever
I agree with you. But the thing is that "Potvin sucks!" is an attack. I don't like the chant, but it is a shot across the bow by Ranger fans, whether or not they actually know what they're talking about. You don't shoot back across the bow by defending your guy, you have to shoot back, and we have no ammo.

As for Potvin being the 2nd best defenseman ever, I disagree. I don't strongly disagree, but I disagree. For me, as far as putting it all together; passing, shooting, skating, hitting, quarterbacking a power play, putting the fear of God into opponents, he's the best ever! Bobby Orr was incredible, and he was a wizard with the puck and had great hockey sense, and was tremendous offensively,but I think Potvin has him beat in the all-around game.

Old
05-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
Potvin is the one who said it though so it's really not.
That's Potvin. He doesn't need to fire back. The fans firing back for him with that response is weak.

Old
05-14-2012, 08:11 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

the rivalry is not even close to being done....i am probably one of the biggest devils fans in the ny nj area for this week and a half.....

lets go devils

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
the rivalry is not even close to being done....i am probably one of the biggest devils fans in the ny nj area for this week and a half.....

lets go devils
You're claiming to be a bigger Devil fan than Devil fans? That's just silly. I'm rooting for the Devils, too, but that doesn't speak to the heat of the rivalry.

Old
05-14-2012, 08:30 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Potvin 4 cups
Entire rags org 4 cups
Lol

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:34 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

Quote:
You're claiming to be a bigger Devil fan than Devil fans? That's just silly. I'm rooting for the Devils, too, but that doesn't speak to the heat of the rivalry.
not all devils fans...haha i was exaggerating but my point is, is that my passion/hatred for the rangers organization is driving me to think about dropping the 200 dollars for a ****** ticket at the rock next monday........

Old
05-14-2012, 08:39 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

also, i don't think the rivalry is dead...i have already heard about 5 potvin sucks chants.....and those were not devils fans chanting "rangers suck"

Old
05-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
also, i don't think the rivalry is dead...i have already heard about 5 potvin sucks chants.....and those were not devils fans chanting "rangers suck"
It's stupid chant, especially since he has nothing to do with this game. It has no meaning and does not fuel the rivalry.

Old
05-14-2012, 08:57 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

it fuels the rivalry because it bothers us when they chant it while up 3-0 with 5 min to go at the coliseum....even if you claim it doesn't

the chicken dance was stupid as well, but i had a great time doing it in front of a crying ranger fan while he was walking his ass outta the coliseum after a loss

Old
05-14-2012, 09:27 PM
SaintTavares

Quote:
It's stupid chant, especially since he has nothing to do with this game. It has no meaning and does not fuel the rivalry.
Your whole original argument is that the rivalry is dead, but if pretty much every other poster in this thread is telling you the opposite, doesn't that prove to you that the rivalry is still on?

SaintTavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTavares View Post
Your whole original argument is that the rivalry is dead, but if pretty much every other poster in this thread is telling you the opposite, doesn't that prove to you that the rivalry is still on?
It tells me that people want to believe it's alive, but the reality is that it's severely lacking.

Old
05-14-2012, 09:55 PM
SaintTavares

Quote:
It tells me that people want to believe it's alive, but the reality is that it's severely lacking.
Thank god you're on the boards to tell us what's reality and what are the lies that we all believe...

Old
05-14-2012, 10:16 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Thank god you're on the boards to tell us what's reality and what are the lies that we all believe...
Don't thank God, thank me!

I'm not telling you that what you believe are lies, I'm just offering a point of view.

Old
05-14-2012, 10:25 PM
And You Feel Shame

Quote:
This.

Also the premise that the rivalry is dead because the Islanders have been pure failure for almost 20 seasons is wrong, given the whole point of the "1940" chant was to highlight the Rangers' decades of failure, several of those decades in a 6 team league. Thus, by your argument, the rivalry was dead before 1994 and it was the Rangers fault.

Yeah, the wind is out of our sails right now because we're clearly on the bottom, looking up at the Rangers, but there is no doubt that the players and fans elevate their level of intensity when these teams meet despite the disparity of quality of play.

And You Feel Shame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:38 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by And You Feel Shame View Post
This.

Also the premise that the rivalry is dead because the Islanders have been pure failure for almost 20 seasons is wrong, given the whole point of the "1940" chant was to highlight the Rangers' decades of failure, several of those decades in a 6 team league. Thus, by your argument, the rivalry was dead before 1994 and it was the Rangers fault.

Yeah, the wind is out of our sails right now because we're clearly on the bottom, looking up at the Rangers, but there is no doubt that the players and fans elevate their level of intensity when these teams meet despite the disparity of quality of play.
The rivalry is alive and well. It's completely intense! I get nervous and shake like a leaf before every head to head match up!

Old
05-14-2012, 10:54 PM
19 in a row

Quote:
The rivalry is alive and well. It's completely intense! I get nervous and shake like a leaf before every head to head match up!
records don't matter when they play, if you are at a ranger/islander game it is never just a game... I don't know why we are putting them on a pedestal.. prior to this year the rangers have been an average team overall since they won in 94, despite always being near the top of payroll and attractive to FAs... they have not been back to the cup since. unlike yankees/redsox where yanks regularly won..

I have always felt the rangers are the yankees without the success (Met fan here).

if the fans feel rivalry, then there is one..

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:10 PM
SaintTavares

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
records don't matter when they play, if you are at a ranger/islander game it is never just a game... I don't know why we are putting them on a pedestal.. prior to this year the rangers have been an average team overall since they won in 94, despite always being near the top of payroll and attractive to FAs... they have not been back to the cup since. unlike yankees/redsox where yanks regularly won..

I have always felt the rangers are the yankees without the success (Met fan here).

No, Bauer Warrior says there isn't a rivalry, so that's the end of that...who are we to argue with him?

Old
05-14-2012, 11:20 PM
And You Feel Shame

Quote:
No, Bauer Warrior says there isn't a rivalry, so that's the end of that...who are we to argue with him?
I get nervous and shake like a leaf before every BauerWarrior post I read!

And You Feel Shame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:24 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by And You Feel Shame View Post
I get nervous and shake like a leaf before every BauerWarrior post I read!
Oh, the power of intimidation!

I'm sorry, man. I'll stop.

Old
05-14-2012, 11:25 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post

I'm not putting them on a pedestal, I'm just saying that the rival is definitely not what it was prior to 1994.