HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

lets say season is lost..

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-23-2012, 03:35 PM
  #1
Riddick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,356
vCash: 500
lets say season is lost..

...and the draft is life 2004 with ping pong balls to determine the order.Isles get the #1 pick. Whom would you rather have, Jones(D) our mckinnon(F)?

Yeah, draft talk is starting way too early again but for a completely different reason than usual(there's really nothing else to talk about).

But the reason i ask is this: the Isles already have their franchise center in tavares. They supposedly have their #1 dman in reinhart. Not that either would be redundant by the new draftee but whom would you rather take, if either at all(move down or trade outright)?

Basically what do you see as the biggest hole to fill at the moment

Riddick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:38 PM
  #2
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,298
vCash: 500
Tough to say. I've seen Jones and am convinced that he'll be the best Dman on the planet by the time he's 28.

I'd have to think that the Isles would take MacKinnon, and why not? They've got a number of topflight defensive prospects and one can only imagine what it'd be like to have Tavares and MacKinnon on this team.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 04:00 PM
  #3
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Johnny Rockets
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 16,951
vCash: 500
Jones because I like defensemen more, but MacKinnon seems to be the consensus #1 pick and would be awesome on JT's wing.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 04:04 PM
  #4
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,215
vCash: 725
I would prefer to see Snow draft MacKinnon and package some of his forward talent, to add a young,blueline vet.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 04:29 PM
  #5
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,940
vCash: 500
Maybe we can package the pick with several others to replace DeHaan?

McKinnon....but Jones is tempting.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 05:49 PM
  #6
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,281
vCash: 500
This is funny, I was just thinking about this the other day.

You have to go with the consensus #1 pick which is MacKinnon at the current time. He could form an absolutely lethal combination with Johnny. We've always talked about getting Yashin and now Tavares that big time winger... Nathan looks like he fits the bill to a tee. The fact that he's also a center gives flexibility. I think it's a no-brainer like Johhny was back in 2009.

With Jones though, he strikes a cord with me. Defenseman like him are so hard to pass up, he might have the bigger impact on the Isles in the long run. With Hamonic, Reinhart, and Jones - that's 3 horse defenseman that would be almost unparalleled in the league. A very nice thought and factor in big boys like Mayfield and Pedan to fill out the rest of the blue line... Hammer would be the smallest out of the bunch! We have quite a few smaller PMD's too to round out the corp.


Add in the fact that if you factor Strome, Nino, and Nelson - we have some high end forward prospects that will all conceivably be ready next season. It's almost enough for me pick Jones over MacKinnon. In the end, I refer back to 2009 and the JT vs. Hedman debate... I'll go with MacKinnon.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 06:05 PM
  #7
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 14,942
vCash: 500
This is tough, I love JONES but to have an Elite PROSPECT on wing like Mac would be crazy next to Tavares....

If Nino turns into that 30 goal guy we could have


Mckinnon-Tavares-Nino

Thats crazy....


But the top 10 is looking very solid so As long as we would get another top pick thats close to NHL ready that would be good.


But on the other hand you can only have so many prospects, mayby we should start flipping these guys for some legit established talent.

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 07:03 PM
  #8
Tavaresfan91
Registered User
 
Tavaresfan91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,605
vCash: 500
I have a mancrush on jones....with that said McKinnon

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 07:51 PM
  #9
leeroggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,259
vCash: 500
How about a little outside the box thinking?

Trade that pick plus next year's #1, Okposo, Mayfield and Bailey for Getzlaf and Perry.

That should make us instant Cup contenders!

MM / JT / Strome
Nino / Getzlaf / Perry
Ullstrom / Frans / Nelson
Martin / Cizikas / Whoever!


leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 08:31 PM
  #10
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,825
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
...and the draft is life 2004 with ping pong balls to determine the order.Isles get the #1 pick. Whom would you rather have, Jones(D) our mckinnon(F)?

Yeah, draft talk is starting way too early again but for a completely different reason than usual(there's really nothing else to talk about).

But the reason i ask is this: the Isles already have their franchise center in tavares. They supposedly have their #1 dman in reinhart. Not that either would be redundant by the new draftee but whom would you rather take, if either at all(move down or trade outright)?

Basically what do you see as the biggest hole to fill at the moment
Jones. Unless disaster strikes he should be NHL ready before Reinhart and have a significantly higher ceiling. You can't go wrong with this draft though if you are picking top 2. I hope we have that problem (via trade of course.)

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 08:36 PM
  #11
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
How about a little outside the box thinking?

Trade that pick plus next year's #1, Okposo, Mayfield and Bailey for Getzlaf and Perry.

That should make us instant Cup contenders!

MM / JT / Strome
Nino / Getzlaf / Perry
Ullstrom / Frans / Nelson
Martin / Cizikas / Whoever!

That's a pretty hefty package for a couple of pending UFA's. While they probably won't sign here, having Tavares and someone like MacKinnon or Jones with the #1 overall pick then the decision to do the unthinkable and sign on the dotted line (even if they get to UFA) wouldn't be so unthinkable. Assuming the new CBA eliminates those ridiculous front loaded contracts, then the possible limits on contract length and salary difference per year would level the playing field for us to have a chance.

Then trade the likes of Okposo, Bailey, Mayfield and the next year's 1st for a stud d-man. The first overall is virtually untouchable IMO.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 08:46 PM
  #12
leeroggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
That's a pretty hefty package for a couple of pending UFA's. While they probably won't sign here, having Tavares and someone like MacKinnon or Jones with the #1 overall pick then the decision to do the unthinkable and sign on the dotted line (even if they get to UFA) wouldn't be so unthinkable. Assuming the new CBA eliminates those ridiculous front loaded contracts, then the possible limits on contract length and salary difference per year would level the playing field for us to have a chance.

Then trade the likes of Okposo, Bailey, Mayfield and the next year's 1st for a stud d-man. The first overall is virtually untouchable IMO.
Would your opinion change if we were able to negotiate and extend them as part of the trade?

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 09:04 PM
  #13
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime
 
Richie Daggers Crime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYI fan in Atl
Posts: 9,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
Would your opinion change if we were able to negotiate and extend them as part of the trade?
That's not gonna happen.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 09:15 PM
  #14
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
Would your opinion change if we were able to negotiate and extend them as part of the trade?
ABSOLUTELY. That would change the entire equation for me.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 09:17 PM
  #15
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,215
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
How about a little outside the box thinking?

Trade that pick plus next year's #1, Okposo, Mayfield and Bailey for Getzlaf and Perry.

That should make us instant Cup contenders!

MM / JT / Strome
Nino / Getzlaf / Perry
Ullstrom / Frans / Nelson
Martin / Cizikas / Whoever!

So, two impending ufas making $6.5m each, are gonna sign team friendly extensions with Wang and pass up deeper pocketed teams? Teams with legitimate cup chances?

C'mon. Can we be realistic?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 09:46 PM
  #16
leeroggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
So, two impending ufas making $6.5m each, are gonna sign team friendly extensions with Wang and pass up deeper pocketed teams? Teams with legitimate cup chances?

C'mon. Can we be realistic?
Sounds like you are letting the lockout get the best of you . . . let's have a little fun while it lasts. It's too depressing to think we could lose another whole season.

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:42 AM
  #17
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
This is tough, I love JONES but to have an Elite PROSPECT on wing like Mac would be crazy next to Tavares....

If Nino turns into that 30 goal guy we could have


Mckinnon-Tavares-Nino

Thats crazy....



But the top 10 is looking very solid so As long as we would get another top pick thats close to NHL ready that would be good.


But on the other hand you can only have so many prospects, mayby we should start flipping these guys for some legit established talent.
What does our young 36 goal guy Moulson turn into with Mac and JT?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:34 AM
  #18
Sneekypete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Branford,Ct
Country: United States
Posts: 2,457
vCash: 500
I would be happy with either and beggers can`t be choosers

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:38 AM
  #19
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime
 
Richie Daggers Crime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYI fan in Atl
Posts: 9,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
ABSOLUTELY. That would change the entire equation for me.
Just sign them on July 1.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:31 AM
  #20
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Just sign them on July 1.
Well, now that they are moving to Brooklyn and reported to get revenue sharing in the next CBA, and hopefully more revenue from the Barclay's... it's not unthinkable that prime time FA's will actually consider the Isles now.

Wang has no excuse anymore. Great day, great day.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:14 PM
  #21
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 14,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
What does our young 36 goal guy Moulson turn into with Mac and JT?
He turns into one of the best 2nd line wingers in the league Centered by Strome

Moulson-Strome-Okposo

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.