HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Nassau County Updates ***Post 500 Monti News***

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2012, 12:43 PM
OlTimeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
http://www.islandermania.com/index.p...post&p=1267767

Team Store In Masspk Mall Closing 6-11-12

My friend works at the store and was just informed today that they are closing on 6-11-12 and is out of a job. Talk about becoming irrelevant huh.
The store has to make enough money to pay the taxes. Welcome to everywhere, folks.

Old
05-20-2012, 01:03 PM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
The store has to make enough money to pay the taxes. Welcome to everywhere, folks.
True enough. But this can't be a good sign for the Isles prospects of staying on Long Island proper either.

Old
05-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Why can't the Islanders play at the Prudential Center?

Old
05-21-2012, 09:54 AM
IslesArchieFan
Oh Cptn, My Cptn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
True enough. But this can't be a good sign for the Isles prospects of staying on Long Island proper either.
I am surprised the store has remained open this long after they opened the store at the colli

Old
05-21-2012, 10:14 AM
nyscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesArchieFan View Post
I am surprised the store has remained open this long after they opened the store at the colli
This is probably when the lease was up.

To be honest, the store sucked anyway. Nothing there worth buying, and definitely not at the prices they wanted.

Old
05-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Those who gave everything deserve something. If you disagree and want to take the name dedicated to the veterans, you disgust me and I want nothing in the future from you.

Yes. $4M a year thrown away. Whoopididoo.

No one gets $200M for an arena's naming rights in the suburbs and even if they did, I would not take the vets off the name.

Again, anyone who would I would publicly spit on. Without hesitation.

If anyone has time, here's some stories from those who lived:
http://www.loc.gov/vets/stories/courage.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_850033.html
http://news.yahoo.com/four-decades-l...125616866.html

Oh, conversely, A bank has nice rates and gives Wang money.

Who deserves the name? The guys who gave everything of the suits who pay for advertising? $4M a year or one life?

If you would like to debate this point, saying the money going to Charles B Wang trumps a bestowed upon honor given to the men and women who have given everything, more than you or I ever would, by all means, I am up for the debate and will debate this point until you relent or cease to breath from old age.

But if you are willing to give the big F-U to the vets, the men and women never to return home for the sacrifice they made, put me on ignore and never speak to me again. Ever. I'm sure Wang needs the money.

I'm also 100% sure those who served selflessly need a LITTLE RESPECT.
So name it the TD Bank veterans memorial center. Who cares? Or better yet, build a museum for veterans. You know, something that actually honors them. How many people set foot in the NVMC for a game or show and think of veterans anyway. The idea that the Islanders should be the only team in the NHL to turn away free money is ludicrous, I don't care who it pisses off.

It's not like anyone likes naming rights. I would much rather play in the NVMC than Canon Arena, but at the end of the day naming rights are one of the biggest revenue streams in pro sports. Probably the biggest behind TV contracts. You can not like the idea (I don't like it myself) but advocating that the Islanders buck the trend and throw millions of dollars down the toilet, while none of the other NHL franchises that they COMPETE with would do the same is ridiculous.

Hell even MSG sold the equivalent of a naming rights deal to Chase. The only teams that don't have naming rights are teams that are either playing in old buildings, or teams with buildings so iconic it pays more to keep the name. Nobody is turning down naming rights out of respect, so you can come down from your high horse.

Old
05-22-2012, 01:43 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
So name it the TD Bank veterans memorial center. Who cares? Or better yet, build a museum for veterans. You know, something that actually honors them. How many people set foot in the NVMC for a game or show and think of veterans anyway. The idea that the Islanders should be the only team in the NHL to turn away free money is ludicrous, I don't care who it pisses off.

It's not like anyone likes naming rights. I would much rather play in the NVMC than Canon Arena, but at the end of the day naming rights are one of the biggest revenue streams in pro sports. Probably the biggest behind TV contracts. You can not like the idea (I don't like it myself) but advocating that the Islanders buck the trend and throw millions of dollars down the toilet, while none of the other NHL franchises that they COMPETE with would do the same is ridiculous.

Hell even MSG sold the equivalent of a naming rights deal to Chase. The only teams that don't have naming rights are teams that are either playing in old buildings, or teams with buildings so iconic it pays more to keep the name. Nobody is turning down naming rights out of respect, so you can come down from your high horse.
Whose high horse?

$2M, MAYBE, a year to remove the honor given to men who died so we can spend it on Mottau.

Oh, yeah, sign me the **** up for that!

Joe Louis says hi from his dump. Detroit chose to honor a great man. We chose to honor great men.

Or we can ditch that and maybe honor a smoothie maker or camera memory card maker and really show some love when we pay a 40 year old to suck with the extra $1-2M.

And yes, it's not a high horse. It's me thinking it's absolutely ****ing DISGUSTING to remove a simple honor given to men and women who gave far more than any corporation's ad department did for me and this country. Totally reprehensible. But they agreed to a memorial if th LHP decided to have the Golden Spoon frozen Yogurt arena. I'd aim to show a little character and leave it NVMC, but hey, who has character anymore? So passe.

Last edited by Homeland Security: 05-22-2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Let the filter do its job.
Old
05-22-2012, 02:45 AM
OlTimeHockey

BTW, I'm not picking on you or blasting you.....I'm just sick of how vital the dollar has gotten because Wang is SO CHEAP. The soldier's blood is worth more. That's all. If it's not a big deal.......well, that says a ton about modern America to me. The money would be wasted, so why bother padding Wang's pocket with it when we could just leave it as is and have SOMETHING no other team has - an undying respect for the vets? That's worth more than the naming rights bringing in what I would wager would be bottom of the barrel sums in the NHL.

For the record, that would mean less than the $844,000 GM gives the Canucks through 2015.

Yes, the Canucks. (Ottawa gets $878,000 from Corel through 2016)

So forget Mottau, too expensive after taxes.

Would you rather a league minimum salary (if we could even get that) or to keep the vets honored? Wanna make up the revenue somewhere else?

Tell the team not so suck as often.

Your quote:
Quote:
Naming rights are the single largest in arena revenue stream for any franchise. Nobody is going to throw them away, nor should they. Unless you want to sign a $200 million contract so you can name a building after veterans.
http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/s/stadiumnames.html

wanna back off now?

Old
05-22-2012, 08:47 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 400
Quote:
Whose high horse?

$2M, MAYBE, a year to remove the honor given to men who died so we can spend it on Mottau.

Oh, yeah, sign me the **ck up for that!

Joe Louis says hi from his dump. Detroit chose to honor a great man. We chose to honor great men.

Or we can ditch that and maybe honor a smoothie maker or camera memory card maker and really show some love when we pay a 40 year old to suck with the extra $1-2M.

And yes, it's not a high horse. It's me thinking it's absolutely f*ing DISGUSTING to remove a simple honor given to men and women who gave far more than any corporation's ad department did for me and this country. Totally reprehensible. But they agreed to a memorial if th LHP decided to have the Golden Spoon frozen Yogurt arena. I'd aim to show a little character and leave it NVMC, but hey, who has character anymore? So passe.
Speaking as a combat veteran, I couldn't care less if we were honored by having the words "veterans memorial" slapped onto something like a hockey arena. There are plenty of veterans memorials, some very moving and emotional, all over this great country (and more going up everyday) that are a lot more attached to what we've done and the sacrifices that some of us made.

Sadly in this day and age unless the Stadium/arena itself is a brand (MSG, Fenway, etc.) you need that naming rights revenue in order to stay competitive (or in the Isles case become competitive)

Last edited by IceAce: 05-22-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old
05-22-2012, 01:28 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Speaking as a combat veteran, I couldn't care less if we were honored by having the words "veterans memorial" slapped onto something like a hockey arena. There are plenty of veterans memorials, some very moving and emotional, all over this great country (and more going up everyday) that are a lot more attached to what we've done and the sacrifices that some of us made.

Sadly in this day and age unless the Stadium/arena itself is a brand (MSG, Fenway, etc.) you need that naming rights revenue in order to stay competitive (or in the Isles case become competitive)
Yeas....but.....

It's Nassau County. The revenue as pointed out wouldn't even be a million a year. So....I hate the idea we go from honoring vets to honoring a company or bank to snag an extra $1M if we hit jackpot when the $1M goes towards a 40 year old second liner who can barely play on the fourth line at his age.

And I'm glad we are honoring the vets. And Jane Fonda is wrinkling up and becoming irrelevant.

At the very least, at least Wang offered a memorial to replace the naming. But I would rather the new building buck the trend and continue to honor the vets. If I had the money to buy the team, I'd ensure a percentage of the building's revenue went towards the vets (hospitals and post service care) and I would wager that would be a better money making idea than taking in naming rights. But I don't have $500M or more to kick Wang's *ss to the curb.

Old
05-22-2012, 04:19 PM
denis

Quote:
Yeas....but.....

It's Nassau County. The revenue as pointed out wouldn't even be a million a year. So....I hate the idea we go from honoring vets to honoring a company or bank to snag an extra $1M if we hit jackpot when the $1M goes towards a 40 year old second liner who can barely play on the fourth line at his age.

And I'm glad we are honoring the vets. And Jane Fonda is wrinkling up and becoming irrelevant.

At the very least, at least Wang offered a memorial to replace the naming. But I would rather the new building buck the trend and continue to honor the vets. If I had the money to buy the team, I'd ensure a percentage of the building's revenue went towards the vets (hospitals and post service care) and I would wager that would be a better money making idea than taking in naming rights. But I don't have $500M or more to kick Wang's *ss to the curb.
The numbers for stadium deals you posted are years out of date. There are currently multiple arenas with deals over $100 million over a term of years. 10 out of the top 20 pay out $4 million a year or more, and 19 out of the top 20 pay out over $2 million a season.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...hts-deals.aspx

In this area, the two newest deals were Prudential at $105 million, and Barclays at $200 million. Those pay out $5.26 million and $10 million each, respectively, per season. If you are saying that an arena in Nassau County can't at least keep pace with one in Newark in terms of value in the eyes of a sponsor, then you have to wonder what the viability of professional sports on Long Island is in the first place.

Anyway, this isn't about money for Wang's pocket or to pay a fourth liner. Since whatever is done is going to be paid for with private money, the assurance of a major revenue stream like an arena's naming rights will almost certainly be a requirement to secure the financing for the building.

If the Islanders survive in Nassau or Suffolk, an arena naming deal will be done. Count on it.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:20 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis View Post
The numbers for stadium deals you posted are years out of date. There are currently multiple arenas with deals over $100 million over a term of years. 10 out of the top 20 pay out $4 million a year or more, and 19 out of the top 20 pay out over $2 million a season.

In this area, the two newest deals were Prudential at $105 million, and Barclays at $200 million. Those pay out $5.26 million and $10 million each, respectively, per season. If you are saying that an arena in Nassau County can't at least keep pace with one in Newark in terms of value in the eyes of a sponsor, then you have to wonder what the viability of professional sports on Long Island is in the first place.

Anyway, this isn't about money for Wang's pocket or to pay a fourth liner. Since whatever is done is going to be paid for with private money, the assurance of a major revenue stream like an arena's naming rights will almost certainly be a requirement to secure the financing for the building.

If the Islanders survive in Nassau or Suffolk, an arena naming deal will be done. Count on it.
Boston gets how much? A lot (they have the Celtics). Brooklyn? Nets. Prudential? Newark. Philly? $1.85M.

So how much do the Isles get with no NBA team? I said maybe, MAYBE $800k as I pointed out (the numbers are correct) as the lower rung arena deals go. Whoopi.

So.....I count on we either keep honoring the vets who in their nature don't want it but it's not for them to honor themselves - they never would - or we take the $800k.

What do you do? $800k (go ahead and PRETEND we get $4M a year. I have real estate in the Everglades for sale) or go the way of Detroit and make money on the product instead?

Old
05-23-2012, 02:49 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:

In this area, the two newest deals were Prudential at $105 million, and Barclays at $200 million. Those pay out $5.26 million and $10 million each, respectively, per season. If you are saying that an arena in Nassau County can't at least keep pace with one in Newark in terms of value in the eyes of a sponsor, then you have to wonder what the viability of professional sports on Long Island is in the first place..
BINGO! That's just 1 more example of why LI will never produce enough revenue for NYI to legitimately compete and win.

So let's go to Brooklyn!

Old
05-23-2012, 04:27 AM
Ziggy16

Welcome to the future Snapple Center? hehe

Old
05-23-2012, 06:18 AM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy16 View Post
Welcome to the future Snapple Center? hehe
As long as it's not Welcome to the Poutine Centre, we'll be okay!

Old
05-23-2012, 10:04 AM
denis

Quote:
Boston gets how much? A lot (they have the Celtics). Brooklyn? Nets. Prudential? Newark. Philly? $1.85M.

So how much do the Isles get with no NBA team? I said maybe, MAYBE $800k as I pointed out (the numbers are correct) as the lower rung arena deals go. Whoopi.

So.....I count on we either keep honoring the vets who in their nature don't want it but it's not for them to honor themselves - they never would - or we take the $800k.

What do you do? $800k (go ahead and PRETEND we get $4M a year. I have real estate in the Everglades for sale) or go the way of Detroit and make money on the product instead?
Old deals earn less, and deals in smaller cities as well, but that comparison is nowhere close to on point. Barclays and Prudential are both single-team arenas in the same metro area as Nassau. Are you saying a new single team arena in Nassau is worth a fraction as much in terms of naming rights value as those? If that's the case, it's a pretty bold condemnation of the value of putting a team there in the first place.

Anyway, as I said, if a naming deal for a new Nassau/Suffolk arena that generates enough revenue can't be secured, the odds of getting a deal to build one at all go way down.

Old
05-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Islander102

Prudential paid $103.5million over 20 years for the rights to the Prudential center, which at the time had no NBA team, and will have no NBA team next year. Under what sort of math is that 1.85 million per year?

Old
05-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Isles Junkie

All due respect to the Nassau Veterans, but they deserve a HELL of a lot better than being honored with the NVMC.

If the Isles ever get a new arena, they should sell the naming rights to the highest bidder, and the county should build a classy monument dedicated to the veterans outside the arena. Or better yet, build a US Military museum on Museum Row. Of course the $ isn't there for that, but that's a far better way to honor people than to name a crappy arena after them.

Old
05-23-2012, 10:24 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
Prudential paid $103.5million over 20 years for the rights to the Prudential center, which at the time had no NBA team, and will have no NBA team next year. Under what sort of math is that 1.85 million per year?
(Newark + Newark) - (2 Newark) + Philly = $1.85M.

Reread it. The Devs got that deal when? When the Nets were there? Wonder how Prudential is feeling about it now?

Well, Prudential's headquarters are in Newark NJ. The deal was also a perk as the nickname "The Rock" was given, and it is now the state's premier arena for concerts as well as college b-ball, etc.

Now look at every other non NBA arena NHL teams have.

$5M is a lot. $2M is above average.

And if the arena were updated, does it serve the vets more than it does now, Junkie? I TOTALLY agree it's a disservice to let the arena fall the way it has, but the government that let veterans healthcare get scary bad is also the same government that let the Coliseum fall to disrepair. They fixed (to a great extent) the VA hospitals. They have to fix the arena. I would hope the renovations happen but.....it's government. Slime being paid to be scum.

Old
05-23-2012, 10:43 PM
denis

Quote:
The Devs got that deal when? When the Nets were there? Wonder how Prudential is feeling about it now?
Prudential Center opened in 2007. The deal was done then. The Nets did not start playing there until 2010.

Old
05-23-2012, 11:11 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Prudential Center opened in 2007. The deal was done then. The Nets did not start playing there until 2010.
Yep. You're right. If I'm not mistaken, Brooklyn only became a reality in 2009, so perhaps Newark was an option rather than staying in the swamps? I dunno - I HATE basketball.

But regardless, it's a very generous amount for naming rights for any NHL team. It is THE major arena for the Garden State, though, in Prudential's hometown.

But the fact remains if you isolate NHL only arenas from NBA/NHL arenas, Newark is in no way the norm. The norm is about one Mottau or Pandolfo after taxes.

Old
05-24-2012, 02:39 AM
cfc

Native Long Islander here, used to post on Islandermania, but that place blows now. Really happy to see the Isles trying to stay on the Island.

Lets hope Brooklyn is a last restort and not last stop because of idiots and laziness.

Old
05-24-2012, 02:43 AM
cfc

Quote:
Originally Posted by oltimehockey View Post
whose high horse?

$2m, maybe, a year to remove the honor given to men who died so we can spend it on mottau.

Oh, yeah, sign me the **** up for that!

Joe louis says hi from his dump. Detroit chose to honor a great man. We chose to honor great men.

Or we can ditch that and maybe honor a smoothie maker or camera memory card maker and really show some love when we pay a 40 year old to suck with the extra $1-2m.:d

and yes, it's not a high horse. It's me thinking it's absolutely ****ing disgusting to remove a simple honor given to men and women who gave far more than any corporation's ad department did for me and this country. Totally reprehensible. But they agreed to a memorial if th lhp decided to have the golden spoon frozen yogurt arena. I'd aim to show a little character and leave it nvmc, but hey, who has character anymore? So passe.
lol!!!!

Old
05-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Original Rob

Quote:
(Newark + Newark) - (2 Newark) + Philly = $1.85M.

Reread it. The Devs got that deal when? When the Nets were there? Wonder how Prudential is feeling about it now?

Well, Prudential's headquarters are in Newark NJ. The deal was also a perk as the nickname "The Rock" was given, and it is now the state's premier arena for concerts as well as college b-ball, etc.

Now look at every other non NBA arena NHL teams have.

$5M is a lot. $2M is above average.

And if the arena were updated, does it serve the vets more than it does now, Junkie? I TOTALLY agree it's a disservice to let the arena fall the way it has, but the government that let veterans healthcare get scary bad is also the same government that let the Coliseum fall to disrepair. They fixed (to a great extent) the VA hospitals. They have to fix the arena. I would hope the renovations happen but.....it's government. Slime being paid to be scum.
You forgot to carry the Newark

Old
05-24-2012, 11:19 AM
potvins4cups

BTW For those of you who are not aware of this. barclays is paying ratner and his crew $400 million dollars over 20 years for the naming rights to the arena in brooklyn. that is a crisp $20 million annually. that is the same amount citigroup is paying the ny mets.

there is no way in hell anyone is going to pay even close to 10% of that amount towards a new arena in suffolk or nassau.

Closed Thread