HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Wild Card System

Old
05-14-2012, 12:11 AM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

vCash: 500
NHL Wild Card System

I've brushed on this topic a few times and just wanted to gauge how people feel.

The NHL is realigning into 4 conferences & that seems fine. Only question is the playoffs. I like the proposed playoff format but think the NHL would benefit from a Wild Card system.

The Wild Card system would be great because it would eliminate unfairness, create excitement & spice things up a bit with uncertainty.

Here's what I propose:

-Top 3 teams (by points) in each conference get seeded 1-3 automatically.
-The final 4th spot in each conference is open to teams with highest point total not seeded 1-3rd in a conference.
-A 4th seeded team with less points than a 5th seeded team in another conference would be able to defend its 4th seed in a 1-game elimination playoff, a lightning quick "Wild Card Round" with everything on the line for the teams battling for the 4th seeds. Only a team from another conference with *more* points than a 4th seed with less points can challenge for a Wild Card spot. The Wild Card game would be played under playoff rules and treated like a playoff game, meaning unlimited overtime periods. Stats would not count towards regular season.
-1st 2 rounds of playoffs are "divisional". 4 conference champs are then reseeded according to points. Remaining 2 teams play in SCF.

The reason a Wild Card system like this would be great is because with the reseeding, you can see 2 rivals come up through different conferences and possibly meet in the final 4 or the SCF. DET/CHI or NY/PHI or NJ/NYR would be possible for the cup.

Owners, fans & the league would benefit from the excitement of the extra wild card game being played. TV ratings would probably be high. Would make for great stories.

This year would see BUF/WSH play in a single elimination Wild Card game after the 82 game season is over and before the playoffs start.

Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:19 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
How would a 4th place team not have more points than a 5th place team...?

What? I dont really understand what you mean.

If its not too much to ask, could you draw up an example of how this year's playoffs would've worked in this system?

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:59 AM
PAZ

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
How would a 4th place team not have more points than a 5th place team...?

What? I dont really understand what you mean.

If its not too much to ask, could you draw up an example of how this year's playoffs would've worked in this system?
This is what I got from it.

Theres 4 conferences, so if team A has 89 points and is in '4th' place in it's conference, and team B in a difference conference has 91 points and is in '5th' palce in it's conference get's to challenge for the 4th place team's spot.

PAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:21 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
I thought the PA had nixed the realignment?

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:33 AM
SharksFan1

vCash: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
I thought the PA had nixed the realignment?
They did... at least for now.

SharksFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:36 AM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post

Theres 4 conferences, so if team A has 89 points and is in '4th' place in it's conference, and team B in a difference conference has 91 points and is in '5th' palce in it's conference get's to challenge for the 4th place team's spot.
Correct, you are exactly right!

If applied to this year, WSH (a 5th seed in the "Atlantic" conference) would challenge BUF for the 4th spot in Buffalo's "snowbird" conference. Buffalo, though it has less points, could defend its position as the 4th seed in its very own conference.

1 game single elimination, winner gets 4th seed & goes to playoffs, loser's season is over.

Old
05-14-2012, 01:41 AM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Also, not only will the inter conference play breed rivalries, the wildcats will breed conference rivalry!

Imagine the embarrassment of a team from another conference getting the 4th seed on your conference & being crowned conference champs by making it to the 3rd round! the silly debates we have now about divisions and east/west would only be magnified & justifiable as it would be possible for a Wild Card team to spank an entirely different conference.

I think that it would create interesting toss-ups & uncertainty for the playoffs. Especially with the reseeding of the "final 4" teams in the 3rd round.

Old
05-14-2012, 01:44 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksFan1 View Post
They did... at least for now.
It's still rather incredible that they were able to do so... I'm not all against unions but they should not be able to simply veto something like this: the owners pay for everything related to travel costs.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:55 PM
coolboarder

This wildcard proposal sounds good. I like the idea but I have questions: who gets home-ice advantage? What if all 4th place teams is better than 5th place team, will this game still take place or no wildcard game? If the 5th place team points is better than 4th place team, then it should make sense to have the wildcard game to challenge the 4th place team. Then, the question is, who will get the home-ice advantage for one-game, winner takes all and joins the conference playoffs games?

In my opinion, the 4th place should defend their position for the wildcard game at home and force the 5th place team on the road, even, with better point standing than 4th place team. If all 4th place team is better then no wildcard playoff should be taken place for the year.

What if there are two "5th place teams" better than 2 "4th place teams" then how should the match-up be determined and who joins which conference bracket? What if one "5th place team" won and other 5th place lost, and this 5th place loser challenge the other 4th place team "wildcard" winner for the last-ditch effort to enter in the playoffs?

The problem with the wildcard system here: it punishes the first place team in the conference having to travel coast to coast. For example: if Vancouver is top-seeded and was supposed to face 4th place L.A. team and Buffalo is 5th place and is better than L.A. in standing. Buffalo squeaked out a win in OT on the road and face Vancouver. It will not wear out Vancouver but wore them out in travel-wise for the round 2 if normal format as following, 2-2-1-1 for the first round.

So I would propose that Buffalo will get only two home-game in the 7-game series while Vancouver get 5 home games in the playoffs. If L.A. wins the wildcard then the normal 2-2-1-1-1 format will apply here. If Buffalo wins the wildcard then punish Buffalo on the road for the series but will get home-ice for two games. The format will following as: 2-2-3. Should Buffalo wins their series, then Buffalo, again will get extra two home game but punish them with 5 road games in the playoffs for round 2. Format will be following: 2-2-3. Should Buffalo, as a wild-card emerges a conference winner then their punishment is over with normal 2-2-1-1-1 for the final 4 series but Buffalo will always be on the road due to their wildcard status regardless of better points than the other conference winners.

So I would use the 2-2-3 format for all 5th place wildcard winner even there is short travel between them but is of different conference and it punishes the wildcard team for finishing 5th place in the conference in the playoffs.

One final question: should the wildcard be taken place a day before the first round playoff game? Example: Buffalo-LA takes place on Tuesday then first round playoff game against Vancouver on Wednesday? If there is concert booked in Vancouver on a Wednesday and Vancouver's first playoff game on Thursday, should Buffalo-LA be taken place on Wednesday? It will give the first place considerable advantage otherwise it would not be fair because the wildcard winner get the momentum and potentially steal the game 1 of the series if they get a day off in between?

Thoughts?

coolboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:36 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
This wildcard proposal sounds good. I like the idea but I have questions: who gets home-ice advantage? What if all 4th place teams is better than 5th place team, will this game still take place or no wildcard game? If the 5th place team points is better than 4th place team, then it should make sense to have the wildcard game to challenge the 4th place team. Then, the question is, who will get the home-ice advantage for one-game, winner takes all and joins the conference playoffs games?

In my opinion, the 4th place should defend their position for the wildcard game at home and force the 5th place team on the road, even, with better point standing than 4th place team. If all 4th place team is better then no wildcard playoff should be taken place for the year.

What if there are two "5th place teams" better than 2 "4th place teams" then how should the match-up be determined and who joins which conference bracket? What if one "5th place team" won and other 5th place lost, and this 5th place loser challenge the other 4th place team "wildcard" winner for the last-ditch effort to enter in the playoffs?

The problem with the wildcard system here: it punishes the first place team in the conference having to travel coast to coast. For example: if Vancouver is top-seeded and was supposed to face 4th place L.A. team and Buffalo is 5th place and is better than L.A. in standing. Buffalo squeaked out a win in OT on the road and face Vancouver. It will not wear out Vancouver but wore them out in travel-wise for the round 2 if normal format as following, 2-2-1-1 for the first round.

So I would propose that Buffalo will get only two home-game in the 7-game series while Vancouver get 5 home games in the playoffs. If L.A. wins the wildcard then the normal 2-2-1-1-1 format will apply here. If Buffalo wins the wildcard then punish Buffalo on the road for the series but will get home-ice for two games. The format will following as: 2-2-3. Should Buffalo wins their series, then Buffalo, again will get extra two home game but punish them with 5 road games in the playoffs for round 2. Format will be following: 2-2-3. Should Buffalo, as a wild-card emerges a conference winner then their punishment is over with normal 2-2-1-1-1 for the final 4 series but Buffalo will always be on the road due to their wildcard status regardless of better points than the other conference winners.

So I would use the 2-2-3 format for all 5th place wildcard winner even there is short travel between them but is of different conference and it punishes the wildcard team for finishing 5th place in the conference in the playoffs.

One final question: should the wildcard be taken place a day before the first round playoff game? Example: Buffalo-LA takes place on Tuesday then first round playoff game against Vancouver on Wednesday? If there is concert booked in Vancouver on a Wednesday and Vancouver's first playoff game on Thursday, should Buffalo-LA be taken place on Wednesday? It will give the first place considerable advantage otherwise it would not be fair because the wildcard winner get the momentum and potentially steal the game 1 of the series if they get a day off in between?

Thoughts?
All great questions.

I would give the 4th seed defending its playoff berth a home game every time. The game would take place after season if over, before the playoffs with a days break before and after. Only 1 game, unlimited overtime, like the playoffs. Winner gets the 4th seed, loser is out of playoffs.

Only 1 wild card spot per conference, so potentially up to 4 games. If there is no team with higher points in a different conference there is no wild card game played. Again, due to travel purposes western teams can't qualify for an eastern wild card spot & vice versa.

I would try to keep the 2 eastern and 2 western conferences together for travel purposes, so no Van-NYR in the first round, it's just not practical. You would see 1st rounds more to what we see now: MON-FLA, BOS-NYI, VAN-DAL, etc...

This format would be a win/win for everybody for many reason. Divisional playoff supporters get their wish, fans can see their biggest rivals in the SCF. Unfairness is removed by giving a 5th place team with more points a shot at getting into the playoffs over a 4th place team in another conference. Travel is limited until the 3rd round, when reseeding happens. Fans of Wild Card get to see an exciting game even if their team is knocked out and doesn't play in the playoffs. Owners and league have extra excitement to promote and revenue.

I kinda don't see how it can lose if they adopt this format.

Old
05-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Roomtemperature

How about we just move a few damned teams. Drop the stupid 3rd or higher thing for division winners and keep this system we have now for the most part. Its not broken and the NHL wants to screw it all up

Roomtemperature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomtemperature View Post
How about we just move a few damned teams. Drop the stupid 3rd or higher thing for division winners and keep this system we have now for the most part. Its not broken and the NHL wants to screw it all up
Problem is NHL is gonna realign.

I like the idea of divisional playoffs but want to see Wild Cards added.

Only other thing I can think of is realign into 4 conferences, keep playoffs similar to now where:

Top 2 teams in each conference get top 4 seeds in east/west, bottom 4 are filled out according to points. 3rd round is reseeded.

This would work nicely for me too, but I kind of like the idea of the excitement a 1 Game Wild Card playoff would provide.

Realignment is coming one way or another, we can't argue that.

Old
05-14-2012, 02:39 PM
coolboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyrocket View Post
All great questions.

I would give the 4th seed defending its playoff berth a home game every time. The game would take place after season if over, before the playoffs with a days break before and after. Only 1 game, unlimited overtime, like the playoffs. Winner gets the 4th seed, loser is out of playoffs.

Only 1 wild card spot per conference, so potentially up to 4 games. If there is no team with higher points in a different conference there is no wild card game played. Again, due to travel purposes western teams can't qualify for an eastern wild card spot & vice versa.

I would try to keep the 2 eastern and 2 western conferences together for travel purposes, so no Van-NYR in the first round, it's just not practical. You would see 1st rounds more to what we see now: MON-FLA, BOS-NYI, VAN-DAL, etc...

This format would be a win/win for everybody for many reason. Divisional playoff supporters get their wish, fans can see their biggest rivals in the SCF. Unfairness is removed by giving a 5th place team with more points a shot at getting into the playoffs over a 4th place team in another conference. Travel is limited until the 3rd round, when reseeding happens. Fans of Wild Card get to see an exciting game even if their team is knocked out and doesn't play in the playoffs. Owners and league have extra excitement to promote and revenue.

I kinda don't see how it can lose if they adopt this format.
What if there is no 2 conference, east/west and NHL adapts 4 conferences? The problem is that there are central teams which is more closer to the eastern teams than the western teams. The wildcard system looks good only if it punishes the wildcard winner more as distance is too great or failure to secure the top 4 but it does extend their season that they do not deserve as a wildcard winner. If there is 2 conferences then it should be 9th place with more points trying for the playoff game with a wildcard against the 8th place. You said that 4 possible wildcard games, I disagreed because the way I looked, there are two possible wildcard games with 4 conferences setup and if you apply the 2 conferences system then you get only one possible wildcard system. It does not make sense to try to keep 2 western teams and 2 eastern teams for the duration of the playoffs with the 4 conference format because there is no east/west in the 4 conference set-up. With only 2 home-game in the 7-game series for the wildcard is punishment enough with additional to a road game for 5th place (4-conference) or 9th place in conference (east/west conference) due to their failure to exceed their top 4 or top 8, whatever you choose to apply the reason for punishment. If the 4th place team beat the 5th place (8-9) in the wildcard game then no punishment because it is not considered a wildcard team since it's in own conference and normal 2-2-1-1-1 format will apply.

The NHL is trying to implement the conference-based playoff system with 4 conference with NHLPA nixed the format for CBA negotiation.

If you try to apply with the current two conference, east/west, to the wildcard format that you talked about, it is 8-9 depends on the point seeding. If both conference has higher 8th seeded than 9th seed then no wildcard game. Should somehow the 9th place team wins the wildcard game then I would impose the 2-2-3 format to punish the 9th place wildcard winner for the first 3 rounds of the playoffs. Should this same wildcard emerges as a survivor of the punishment then normal 2-2-1-1-1 applies for the SCF.

If we apply the current format for wildcard in this year's standing, no wildcard playoff game is necessary because both conference has fulfilled their requirements and 9th place is not better than 8th in opposite conference. If we use 2010-2011 season, we might potentially see Dallas playing the road game at New York for a chance to win a wildcard game. Dallas finished 95 points and New York finished 93 points but New York gets its home ice for the wild card game. Calgary is out of playoffs because even though Calgary is higher than New York in 10th place and Dallas is better than Calgary so gets its opportunity to steal the thunder at the wildcard on the road. Should Dallas wins its wildcard game, Dallas will have to be on the road for the rest of the playoff with 2-2-3 format. Meaning, Dallas must play 5 road games for the first round of the playoff against Washington for the 2011 playoff as their punishment.

There is a reason for punishment: it is not fair for New York finished 8th place and Dallas gets its extra gate revenue while New York who lost the wildcard gets its wildcard revenue but missed out its first round gate revenue so punishes Dallas with maximum of two home game during the series against Washington. Also it saves the travel mileage between two cities. I would also propose that whatever New York missed out, Dallas earned must give New York one home gate revenue to New York then afterward, Dallas can keep their profits for themselves.

For the wildcard playoff to work properly, for east/west, only one wild card game but if NHL decides to go with 4 conference game, then only 2 potentially wildcard is possible. In some year, there can be no wildcard because all conference 4th place finished higher than the 5th place from other conference. I prefer top 4 teams in each conference (4 conference format) or top 8 teams (current East/West conference format) automatically with one exemption, either, 5th or 9th place from other conference who has higher point standing than the last playoff spot get an opportunity to get in the playoff using the wildcard system. No top 2 or top 3 division thing, just top 4 or top 8, whatever conference format you choose.

Last edited by coolboarder: 05-14-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old
05-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
What if there is no 2 conference, east/west and NHL adapts 4 conferences? The problem is that there are central teams which is more closer to the eastern teams than the western teams. The wildcard system looks good only if it punishes the wildcard winner more as distance is too great or failure to secure the top 4 but it does extend their season that they do not deserve as a wildcard winner. If there is 2 conferences then it should be 9th place with more points trying for the playoff game with a wildcard against the 8th place. You said that 4 possible wildcard games, I disagreed because the way I looked, there are two possible wildcard games with 4 conferences setup and if you apply the 2 conferences system then you get only one possible wildcard system. It does not make sense to try to keep 2 western teams and 2 eastern teams for the duration of the playoffs with the 4 conference format because there is no east/west in the 4 conference set-up. With only 2 home-game in the 7-game series for the wildcard is punishment enough with additional to a road game for 5th place (4-conference) or 9th place in conference (east/west conference) due to their failure to exceed their top 4 or top 8, whatever you choose to apply the reason for punishment. If the 4th place team beat the 5th place (8-9) in the wildcard game then no punishment because it is not considered a wildcard team since it's in own conference and normal 2-2-1-1-1 format will apply.

The NHL is trying to implement the conference-based playoff system with 4 conference with NHLPA nixed the format for CBA negotiation.

If you try to apply with the current two conference, east/west, to the wildcard format that you talked about, it is 8-9 depends on the point seeding. If both conference has higher 8th seeded than 9th seed then no wildcard game. Should somehow the 9th place team wins the wildcard game then I would impose the 2-2-3 format to punish the 9th place wildcard winner for the first 3 rounds of the playoffs. Should this same wildcard emerges as a survivor of the punishment then normal 2-2-1-1-1 applies for the SCF.

If we apply the current format for wildcard in this year's standing, no wildcard playoff game is necessary because both conference has fulfilled their requirements and 9th place is not better than 8th in opposite conference. If we use 2010-2011 season, we might potentially see Dallas playing the road game at New York for a chance to win a wildcard game. Dallas finished 95 points and New York finished 93 points but New York gets its home ice for the wild card game. Calgary is out of playoffs because even though Calgary is higher than New York in 10th place and Dallas is better than Calgary so gets its opportunity to steal the thunder at the wildcard on the road. Should Dallas wins its wildcard game, Dallas will have to be on the road for the rest of the playoff with 2-2-3 format. Meaning, Dallas must play 5 road games for the first round of the playoff against Washington for the 2011 playoff as their punishment.

There is a reason for punishment: it is not fair for New York finished 8th place and Dallas gets its extra gate revenue while New York who lost the wildcard gets its wildcard revenue but missed out its first round gate revenue so punishes Dallas with maximum of two home game during the series against Washington. Also it saves the travel mileage between two cities. I would also propose that whatever New York missed out, Dallas earned must give New York one home gate revenue to New York then afterward, Dallas can keep their profits for themselves.

For the wildcard playoff to work properly, for east/west, only one wild card game but if NHL decides to go with 4 conference game, then only 2 potentially wildcard is possible. In some year, there can be no wildcard because all conference 4th place finished higher than the 5th place from other conference. I prefer top 4 teams in each conference (4 conference format) or top 8 teams (current East/West conference format) automatically with one exemption, either, 5th or 9th place from other conference who has higher point standing than the last playoff spot get an opportunity to get in the playoff using the wildcard system. No top 2 or top 3 division thing, just top 4 or top 8, whatever conference format you choose.
You're correct that there is no east/west for the 4 conferences, but the way they are split up you can pair the conferences in a sense for the first two rounds as east/west for travel purposes.

I understand what ur saying about central teams being closer to the east, but there is nothing we can do about geography & traditionally those teams "play in the west" so it would make more sense for a wild card team to travel within its east/west zone than from LA to NY.

Also you might be right about the 4 games, might be 2 wild card games max, I'll have to look into that.

Perhaps one way to punish the wild card team & to make it better for the 1 seed in its own conference is to go to a 3-2-2 format, to reduce travel and give the 1st seed a real good home advantage and reward for being the regular season conference champion.

Great ideas btw though & great to see people open to discussion.

Just for arguments sake, imagine LA this year coming up as a Wild Card, spanking the Central Conference and going to the SCF... And playing PHX or VAN in the finals...What a story! People who argue X division/conference is superior because teams have more points would be exposed as fools if a Wild Card walked in and spanked another conference. Would be fun for the game! Bragging rights would be cool too.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:17 PM
coolboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyrocket View Post
You're correct that there is no east/west for the 4 conferences, but the way they are split up you can pair the conferences in a sense for the first two rounds as east/west for travel purposes.

I understand what ur saying about central teams being closer to the east, but there is nothing we can do about geography & traditionally those teams "play in the west" so it would make more sense for a wild card team to travel within its east/west zone than from LA to NY.

Also you might be right about the 4 games, might be 2 wild card games max, I'll have to look into that.

Perhaps one way to punish the wild card team & to make it better for the 1 seed in its own conference is to go to a 3-2-2 format, to reduce travel and give the 1st seed a real good home advantage and reward for being the regular season conference champion.

Great ideas btw though & great to see people open to discussion.

Just for arguments sake, imagine LA this year coming up as a Wild Card, spanking the Central Conference and going to the SCF... And playing PHX or VAN in the finals...What a story! People who argue X division/conference is superior because teams have more points would be exposed as fools if a Wild Card walked in and spanked another conference. Would be fun for the game! Bragging rights would be cool too.
That is rare and it could potentially inter-conference SCF opponent, imagine this, Pittsburgh-Philadelphia final if one of them were a wild-card, imagine the potential storyline of this rivalry. Or, how about this, a Boston-Montreal finals? Toronto-Montreal, or Edmonton-Calgary SCF finals? This wildcard system makes this possible and it will work well if used properly. You can make this dream SCF match-up that would not possible without this wildcard format.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post

Then when your star player goes down battleing over were game 7 will be?

Kelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
That is rare and it could potentially inter-conference SCF opponent, imagine this, Pittsburgh-Philadelphia final if one of them were a wild-card, imagine the potential storyline of this rivalry. Or, how about this, a Boston-Montreal finals? Toronto-Montreal, or Edmonton-Calgary SCF finals? This wildcard system makes this possible and it will work well if used properly. You can make this dream SCF match-up that would not possible without this wildcard format.
Exactly!

It's a win even for those who dislike it.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:31 PM
coolboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly23 View Post
Then when your star player goes down battleing over were game 7 will be?
One-game wildcard and I doubt they will be playing 7 games for the wildcard series. With one wildcard game, higher chance for your star player to play the next series.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

^ Ditto. 1 game elimination.

7 game series makes no sense and would delay the playoffs + I would never watch a 7 game Wild Card Series. Ever.

A single game with 2 teams and their entire season on the line? Hell yes, sign me up!

Old
05-14-2012, 04:10 PM
RaskY
Re-registered User

vCash: 50
I actually really like that idea.

RaskY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:43 PM
coolboarder

Here is a quick at glance of what Wild Card system will bring. Just a quick reminder, I will compare the two system that is of current East/West and the 4 conference format. I am going to post the standing and what it might end up with the match-up from 2000-01 season to 2009-10 season.

East/West Conference
Season8th Place in Conf.9th Place in opposite Conf.Wild Card GameWinner of Wild Card for First Round Match-up of Stanley Cup playoffs
2000-01Carolina 88 pointsPhoenix 90 pointsPhoenix at CarolinaCarolina or Phoenix at New Jersey
2001-02Montreal 87 pointsEdmonton 92 pointsEdmonton at MontrealEdmonton or Montreal at Boston
2002-03NY Islanders 83 pointsChicago 79 pointsNo Wild Card gameNY Islanders at Ottawa
2003-04NY Islanders 91 pointsEdmonton 89 pointsNo Wild Card gameNY Islanders at Tampa Bay
2004-05--Lock-out-
2005-06Tampa Bay 92 pointsVancouver 92 pointsNo Wild Card gameTampa Bay at Ottawa
2006-07NY Islanders 92 PointsColorado 95 pointsColorado at NY IslandersNY Islanders or Colorado at Buffalo
2007-08Nashville 91 pointsCarolina 92 pointsCarolina at NashvilleCarolina or Nashville at Detroit
2008-09Anaheim 91 pointsFlorida 93 pointsFlorida at AnaheimFlorida or Anaheim at San Jose
2009-10Philadelphia / Montreal 88 points St. Louis / Calgary 90 pointsSt. Louis at Montreal / Calgary at PhiladelphiaTop WC winner at New Jersey #2 in E.C. / Lowest WC winner at Washington #1 in E.C.

Now, you notice that some year, west conference is stronger than east conference, and some year, east conference is stronger than west conference.

Final stats (2000-2010):
-East Conference 8th place is lower than 9th place West Conference, 4 times.
-West Conference 8th place is lower than 9th East Conference, 2 times
-East Conference 8th place is tied with 9th place West conference, 1 time.
-West Conference 8th place is tied with 9th place East Conference, 0 times.
-No Wild Card game: 3 times

In 2005-06 season, Tampa Bay is tied with Vancouver with 92 points but because Tampa Bay is in East Conference is automatically in and no Wild Card Game is needed.

Now, new realignment 4 conference if it comes to pass in future but I will use this. Atlanta is considered Winnipeg in Conference Norris and I will show how this will work for the Wild Card game. I will pick an example from 2000-2001 season with recent proposed realignment and how wildcard will work out and which bracket.

2000-01 Season
Patrick ConferenceAdams ConferenceSmythe ConferenceNorris Conference
NJ-111Ott-109Col-118Det-111
Phi-100Buf-98SJ-95Dal-106
Pit-96Tor-90Edm-93Stl-103
Wsh-96Bos-88LA-92Nsh-80
Car-88Mtl-70Van-90Chi-71
NYR-72Fla-66Phx-90Clb-71
NYI-52TB-59Cal-73Min-68
--Ana-66Wpg-60
Wild Card: Vancouver is 5th in Smythe with 90points while Phoenix is 6th place with 90 points but both of them are better than 4th place in other conference. They are better than Boston with 88 points and Nashville with 80 points in that they finished 4th place in their respective conference. Even though Vancouver and Phoenix is better than them but they are on the road anyways for the Wild Card for travel purpose and punishment for failure to secure top 4 playoff spot for each conference.

Wild Card game #1: Phoenix at Boston (winner plays against Ottawa)
Wild Card game #2: Vancouver at Nashville (winner plays against Detroit)

Playoff bracket will look like this:

Again, this is just an example from final standing from 2000-2001 season but with 4 conference that was proposed and passed last December but nixed by NHLPA. This will give you some idea that this system can work if players are too concerned that better team misses the playoffs in the stronger conference than the weakest conference.

Edit: Just wanted to clarify that season to season is not the same, some year, Smythe is the strongest conference and some other year, Norris is the strongest conference and some year, no wild card is needed due to equal strength in conference. For example, in 2002-2003 season, no wild card is needed despite 4 conferences. Some year, one wild card is needed, and in some other year, 2 wild card games are required to justify this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2000-01 playoffs.jpg‎ (48.9 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by coolboarder: 05-15-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old
05-15-2012, 09:47 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

The length of a season and the amount of teams to make the playoffs should ideally be inversely proportional.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Here is a quick at glance of what Wild Card system will bring. Just a quick reminder, I will compare the two system that is of current East/West and the 4 conference format. I am going to post the standing and what it might end up with the match-up from 2000-01 season to 2009-10 season.

East/West Conference
Season8th Place in Conf.9th Place in opposite Conf.Wild Card GameWinner of Wild Card for First Round Match-up of Stanley Cup playoffs
2000-01Carolina 88 pointsPhoenix 90 pointsPhoenix at CarolinaCarolina or Phoenix at New Jersey
2001-02Edmonton 92 pointsMontreal 87 pointsEdmonton at MontrealEdmonton or Montreal at Boston
2002-03NY Islanders 83 pointsChicago 79 pointsNo Wild Card gameNY Islanders at Ottawa
2003-04NY Islanders 91 pointsEdmonton 89 pointsNo Wild Card gameNY Islanders at Tampa Bay
2004-05--Lock-out-
2005-06Tampa Bay 92 pointsVancouver 92 pointsNo Wild Card gameTampa Bay at Ottawa
2006-07NY Islanders 92 PointsColorado 95 pointsColorado at NY IslandersNY Islanders or Colorado at Detroit
2007-08Nashville 91 pointsCarolina 92 pointsCarolina at NashvilleCarolina or Nashville at Detroit
2008-09Anaheim 91 pointsFlorida 93 pointsFlorida at AnaheimFlorida or Anaheim at San Jose
2009-10Philadelphia / Montreal 88 points St. Louis / Calgary 90 pointsSt. Louis at Montreal / Calgary at PhiladelphiaTop WC winner at New Jersey #2 in E.C. / Lowest WC winner at Washington #1 in E.C.

Now, you notice that some year, west conference is stronger than east conference, and some year, east conference is stronger than west conference.

Final stats (2000-2010):
-East Conference 8th place is lower than 9th place West Conference, 4 times.
-West Conference 8th place is lower than 9th East Conference, 2 times
-East Conference 8th place is tied with 9th place West conference, 1 time.
-West Conference 8th place is tied with 9th place East Conference, 0 times.
-No Wild Card game: 3 times

In 2005-06 season, Tampa Bay is tied with Vancouver with 92 points but because Tampa Bay is in East Conference is automatically in and no Wild Card Game is needed.

Now, new realignment 4 conference if it comes to pass in future but I will use this. Atlanta is considered Winnipeg in Conference Norris and I will show how this will work for the Wild Card game. I will pick an example from 2000-2001 season with recent proposed realignment and how wildcard will work out and which bracket.

2000-01 Season
Patrick ConferenceAdams ConferenceSmythe ConferenceNorris Conference
NJ-111Ott-109Col-118Det-111
Phi-100Buf-98SJ-95Dal-106
Pit-96Tor-90Edm-93Stl-103
Wsh-96Bos-88LA-92Nsh-80
Car-88Mtl-70Van-90Chi-71
NYR-72Fla-66Phx-90Clb-71
NYI-52TB-59Cal-73Min-68
--Ana-66Wpg-60
Wild Card: Vancouver is 5th in Smythe with 90points while Phoenix is 6th place with 90 points but both of them are better than 4th place in other conference. They are better than Boston with 88 points and Nashville with 80 points in that they finished 4th place in their respective conference. Even though Vancouver and Phoenix is better than them but they are on the road anyways for the Wild Card for travel purpose and punishment for failure to secure top 4 playoff spot for each conference.

Wild Card game #1: Phoenix at Boston (winner plays against Ottawa)
Wild Card game #2: Vancouver at Nashville (winner plays against Detroit)

Playoff bracket will look like this:

Again, this is just an example from final standing from 2000-2001 season but with 4 conference that was proposed and passed last December but nixed by NHLPA. This will give you some idea that this system can work if players are too concerned that better team misses the playoffs in the stronger conference than the weakest conference.

Edit: Just wanted to clarify that season to season is not the same, some year, Smythe is the strongest conference and some other year, Norris is the strongest conference and some year, no wild card is needed due to equal strength in conference. For example, in 2002-2003 season, no wild card is needed despite 4 conferences. Some year, one wild card is needed, and in some other year, 2 wild card games are required to justify this.
Holy wow! Great work!

So looks like the Wild Card game would be pretty common. Seems exciting to me, hope something like this is implemented.

Even if my team is eliminated in the game, having the taste of something similar to a game 7 on the line would so exciting! Better than just straight missing the playoffs though you technically could have qualified.

Good work!!!!