HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Will LA break the Oilers Record?

Old
05-14-2012, 05:03 PM
ZetterBurger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
I watched the first round series with Vancouver (and yes, I also watched some games towards the end of the season, just to judge who my picks should be). It was an absolute snooze fest. Vancouver is one of the five most exciting teams in the NHL. The fault is on LA. Easily the most boring team in hockey.

A Cinderella story does NOT make a team exciting. They're dreadful.
Only boring people get bored. I don't find LA boring at al. They are one of the most exciting teams to watch right now, I doubt you have watched anything other than a couple of 1st round games.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
But what if it was?

The Maple Leafs would have won the Cup for the last 6 years, and they'd be considered the greatest dynasty in all of sports.

Dellstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
The most exciting game of the year for the Jets was the game against the Blues. It was an incredibly well-played game. Blues fans are also some of the classiest fans in the NHL. I like a lot of their players. I didn't base my playoff support off my favorite team to watch (Which is what I did last year with Vancouver and Montreal). I based it off who I felt deserved it the most, and that was St Louis.

For the record, Hitchcock hockey is a million times more exciting than "watching paint dry" LA Kings hockey.
You have yet to explain why that is. The Kings hit just as much as the Blues, they put equally as much pressure on the puck (if not more), and they play a very similar defensive game. On top of that, they're BETTER offensively and have an incredible breakout. It could not be more obvious that you WANT the Kings to be boring so you can rant. Maybe you're upset they beat the Canucks?

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
I watched the first round series with Vancouver (and yes, I also watched some games towards the end of the season, just to judge who my picks should be). It was an absolute snooze fest. Vancouver is one of the five most exciting teams in the NHL. The fault is on LA. Easily the most boring team in hockey.

i fail to see how you can call a team that employs a 2 man forecheck, something which not many teams do, boring. They dont put 5 players in the neutral zone like a lot of teams do.

When you compare it to the Coyotes who have 5 men back, the Blues who have 5 men back, Tampa with the 1-3-1, Capitals and Rangers who both not only have 5 men back, but collapse all 5 skaters to within 6 feet of their own net all the time

so easy translation, haters gna hate, trollers gna troll

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:13 PM
santiclaws

If you find a team that puts up 47 SOG, hits a ton and employs a really aggressive forecheck "boring," you don't like hockey.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
The most exciting game of the year for the Jets was the game against the Blues. It was an incredibly well-played game. Blues fans are also some of the classiest fans in the NHL. I like a lot of their players. I didn't base my playoff support off my favorite team to watch (Which is what I did last year with Vancouver and Montreal). I based it off who I felt deserved it the most, and that was St Louis.
Sorry - out of the hundreds of NHL games in the 2011-12 season, I must have missed that one exciting Blues vs Jets game

No, really...

What makes you think that anyone in a Stanley Cup Playoff forum would have seen such an epic battle? To coin a phrase; currently, both of those teams are entirely irrelevant in the NHL world. (true story)

Quote:
For the record, Hitchcock hockey is a million times more exciting than "watching paint dry" LA Kings hockey.
1) Apparently you missed Hitchcock's game 4 post game press conference where he couldn't say anything but positive things about the Kings play. He could obviously tell that his teams' collective ***** had just been handed to them in 4 straight games. He realized it, but you apparently didn't see any of the games or you're very misguided on what "good hockey" is (or how to understand a scoreboard) based on your viewing of some minor pond hockey game in Peace River.

Did I say 4 games? ok.

or,

2) Did someone on the Kings team run over your dog?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Dave33
Still smiling

Fellas, don't feed trolls.

I don't see the Kings breaking the record, but I'd be very happy to be wrong.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave33 View Post
Fellas, don't feed trolls.
Sadly, I don't think he's trolling. The guy has a genuine vendetta against the Kings for some unknown reason.

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Osprey

The TSN folks were saying last night that the record is 16-4, by the '93 Canadians. I'm guessing that they were wrong, though, since someone would've corrected the OP by now if he were the one in the wrong.

Last edited by Osprey: 05-15-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Choralone

vCash: 100
Careful guys, I think he's a Wendigo. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Wendigos as malevolent, cannibalistic, supernatural beings (manitous) of great spiritual power. They were strongly associated with the Winter, the North, and coldness...
It's a Canadian cousin of the troll I think.... The bit about Winter and coldness screams Winnipeg.

Choralone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:39 PM
redbeard7737

that canadian north guy has no idea what he is talking about. If I never watched any games, I would have assumed LA was boring, but in every game I have watched of them, they have forechecked like mad, and have moved the puck better than any team in hockey this post season. Team to beat for sure and its not just because of defence.

redbeard7737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:41 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Quote:

So Vancouver is one of your favorite teams to watch and you were cheering St. Louis this year.... your bitterness makes sense.

I guess it's all subjective, but to be honest, you sound more like a kid who just had his toy stolen.

WhatTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:

Thank you. I don't give a **** if they put you to sleep.

Winning, to me, is never boring.

As far as "exciting" goes, both Vancouver and Pittsburgh are very exciting right now, sitting on their ***** and wondering what could have been. I guess "exciting" equates to "losing."

Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:14 PM
mchose

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_me? View Post
If the Kings make it to the Finals, the won't lose a game to the Eastern winner.
This is why the Canucks lost last years SCF, everybody was saying the Bruins were going to get dominated.

Biggest jinx thread ever

mchose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:28 PM
Spy
resU deretsigeR

I'd put my money on not even close. But beating that kind of record basically require a miracle to happen. So, we'll see if that miracle actually happens. As I said, I wouldn't put my money on it, nor would anyone sane.

Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:32 PM
HF007
In Roy we Trust

vCash: 50
I see them going 7-2 the rest of the way which puts them 16-3 (19 games). But anything can happen "You Play to win the game!"

HF007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:40 PM
aemoreira1981

I will say no because the Rangers and Devils play a gritter style of hockey that will really test the Kings (or Yotes) unlike how the Canucks and Blues tested them.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:31 AM
12u55

How many games will the Kings lose in these playoffs?

I don't mean to troll or jinx the Kings but I just don't see them losing too many games the rest of the way.

Between now and the finals, does anyone agree they could possibly only lose 4 games at most? I honestly think they will only lose two more games the entire way. But wtf do I know

Also, does anyone know if any team has swept the entire playoffs?

12u55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:35 AM
redcard

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1189811

This thread essentially answers all of your questions.

redcard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:58 AM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra427 View Post
Brown's third period goal went under Smiths arm, soft also, not as soft as Quick's though, so 2-1, still close considering the way the kings played...
Really...?

Comparing a goal from center ice to the Brown goal and saying they are comparatively "bad" goals?

Give me an effin' break.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:26 AM
Anisimovs AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Can we put an end to these ridiculous jinx threads already?
If the kings lose im sure the media will point to this thread as the turning point

Anisimovs AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:31 AM
Anisimovs AK

How can anyone in their right mind say that Hitchcock hockey is more exciting than LA's. The run almost the same system, the Blues just play a far more passive forecheck. So forechecking a team into oblivion is not exciting, but clogging up the neutral zone is?

FACE PALM

Anisimovs AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:51 AM
Houli

The Rangers will win the SC because they're the only team left that has been in a winter classic. Last four teams to win a cup, bruins, blackhawks, penguins, redwings had all been in a winter classic before winning the SC.

Houli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:54 AM
thebigbea

i don't see the coyotes winning more than 1 game.. kings are a bit lucky though, no daniel sedin and kesler badly banged up in 1st round.. then face the blues with no halak.. i want the kings to face the rangers

thebigbea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:10 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Holy count your chickens Batman.

If this thread isnt a giant jinx on the Kings championship aspirations then call me Bob Berry.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote