HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Jonas Holos make a return?

Old
05-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Dalfan

vCash: 500

Dalfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

With another strong international showing, maybe the Avs can snag a decent pick for him at this year's draft.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:10 PM
teddygmr

with 4 goals and 5 assists in 8 WC games, he is 2nd among Dmen to Duncan Keith(ahead of Faulk, Sekera, Karlsson, Fowler!) in scoring and in the top 10 overall! He turns 25 in August so being 2 years older and more mature than his last experience in North america, he could be ready to use his skills more effectively. A lot of Euros take a while to adapt to North American rinks-look at Mark Streit! I could see a team offering a pick at the Draft to get his rights.
According to Hockey Buzz Cap Central, his NHL contract called for $785,000 in 2011-12 and he is a RFA this summer. So I guess he was loaned to Vaxjo and this is NOT a situation like Radulov who owed Nashville the final year on his contract when he fled to KHL.
I'm sure NHL scouts were impressed with Holos at the World Championships and if one signed him to a RFA contract, would Colorado match or just let him go?
I think if it was under $800,000 there would be no compensation....or would it be just a 3rd round pick?

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
with 4 goals and 5 assists in 8 WC games, he is 2nd among Dmen to Duncan Keith(ahead of Faulk, Sekera, Karlsson, Fowler!) in scoring and in the top 10 overall! He turns 25 in August so being 2 years older and more mature than his last experience in North america, he could be ready to use his skills more effectively. A lot of Euros take a while to adapt to North American rinks-look at Mark Streit! I could see a team offering a pick at the Draft to get his rights.
According to Hockey Buzz Cap Central, his NHL contract called for $785,000 in 2011-12 and he is a RFA this summer. So I guess he was loaned to Vaxjo and this is NOT a situation like Radulov who owed Nashville the final year on his contract when he fled to KHL.
I'm sure NHL scouts were impressed with Holos at the World Championships and if one signed him to a RFA contract, would Colorado match or just let him go?
I think if it was under $800,000 there would be no compensation....or would it be just a 3rd round pick?
If someone offers a 4th round pick he's gone for sure.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:29 PM
avs1dacup

Quote:
Pretty sure since the Avs released him from his contract, they no longer own his rights so would get no compensation if someone signed him.

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup View Post
Pretty sure since the Avs released him from his contract, they no longer own his rights so would get no compensation if someone signed him.
He's not released.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:00 AM
Drury_Sakic

Lets make this clear, the Avs did not release him from his contract, they simply allowed him to go back to Europe.

He is signed for next year and will then be a rfa.

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1754

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Adama0905

Many saw him as the most unfairly treated player in the league...?

I have a hard time believing that the amount of people that even knew he was a player in the league even qualify as "many".

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:25 AM
Adama0905

Quote:
Soooo...since he's had two years more experience, on Euro rinks, we should assume that he's better suited to play on NHL rinks now?

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:35 AM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
Soooo...since he's had two years more experience, on Euro rinks, we should assume that he's better suited to play on NHL rinks now?
Or that he has adjusted to the NA lifestyle and culture? I remember someone from the Post writing something at one time that he was not really a part of the lockeroom. Not in a bad way, but that he was often silent and that the writer felt he was not really engaged with the rest of the guys.

I am not saying that every player has to be super involved with the guys, but I got a little bit of an impression that Holos struggled at least a bit to adjust to life in the States.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 02:20 AM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
The Holos bus last sailed at the Olympics.

He performed pretty well there too against international competition. Hence the initial hype on the guy. The fact he's doing well at the Worlds really doesn't surprise me or make me believe he's made any progress.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:19 AM
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor

So the last time he played for the Avs was 2 season ago when he was 23. So is everybody here saying that any other dman can take a while to develop but Holos was done his development when he left? I'm not saying he will make it as a regular in the NHL but considering he was still fairly young and he was coming from Europe, I think he deserves another chance.

The main problem people had with him was that he was soft which was true. If he fixes that to an extent, he could be a very decent bottom pairing dman.

With that being said I don't think he was treated wrong here. He had his chances and was sent down to LEM. If his issue is that he doesn't want to play in the AHL, then I agree he should stay in Europe.

AllAboutAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 04:29 AM
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!

Colorado wants Holos back. According to Norwegian media NRK this morning Avs scouts at the WC confirmed he may return.

Wolfy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 04:45 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Colorado wants Holos back. According to Norwegian media NRK this morning Avs scouts at the WC confirmed he may return.
This will end well.

Old
05-18-2012, 05:14 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 50
I don't think anyone is against the idea of having him prove himself in training camp. A little pointless to have his potential under contract and not even take a fresh look at it. That'd just be bad asset management. If he can earn a spot, awesome. If not, back to the SEL or up on the trading block.

Although I'm wondering how his reassignment is set up. He's under contract in Sweden for one more season. I assume that since he is effectively "on loan" that there is a clause where he can return to the NHL.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 05:39 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
I don't think anyone is against the idea of having him prove himself in training camp. A little pointless to have his potential under contract and not even take a fresh look at it. That'd just be bad asset management. If he can earn a spot, awesome. If not, back to the SEL or up on the trading block.

Although I'm wondering how his reassignment is set up. He's under contract in Sweden for one more season. I assume that since he is effectively "on loan" that there is a clause where he can return to the NHL.
Every SEL contract has a NHL out clause.

Old
05-18-2012, 06:22 AM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I'm all for the dude coming and trying out.

That being said, he is a right handed shot....Elliot, Barrie, O'Byrne, and EJ are also right handers......So he's got very stiff competition. I'd honestly showcase him in the preseason to deal the guy.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:18 AM
Old Norse Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
But his lack of physicality is what prevents him from making the step to the NHL.
Spot-on

Old Norse Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:29 AM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
Many saw him as the most unfairly treated player in the league...?

I have a hard time believing that the amount of people that even knew he was a player in the league even qualify as "many".
Plus we all know TJ Galiardi was the most unfairly treated player in the league...

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 02:11 PM
caley

Poorly-translated by google article on Holos

http://translate.google.ca/translate...26prmd%3Dimvns

It seems that the Avalanche scouts like Holos, but Sacco does not.

Quote:
SA has talked to during the World Cup HolÝs on a possible NHL return, but when full-back thought it would be a problem since it is the Colorado Avalanche who have rights to him as a player "over there". HolÝs was not aware that the interest from Colorado Avalanche is still very much present.

- I love the Jonas HolÝs, that was why we brought him to Colorado in the first place. He has played great in the World Cup along with Thoresen - it seems my boss, says [Avalanche scout] Anders Carlsson told NRK.
The article theorizes that "the boss" is Joe Sacco and Sacco doesn't like Holos. It also suggests the Avalanche demoted Holos to keep him from hitting some bonuses in his contract. It's obviously very biased, but an interesting read if you can figure your way through it.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Poorly-translated by google article on Holos

http://translate.google.ca/translate...26prmd%3Dimvns

The article theorizes that "the boss" is Joe Sacco and Sacco doesn't like Holos. It also suggests the Avalanche demoted Holos to keep him from hitting some bonuses in his contract. It's obviously very biased, but an interesting read if you can figure your way through it.
I think most of the posters here think the same.

Old
05-18-2012, 02:42 PM
TatteredTornNFrayed
ocelot spleens, ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
The Holos bus last sailed at the Olympics.

He performed pretty well there too against international competition. Hence the initial hype on the guy. The fact he's doing well at the Worlds really doesn't surprise me or make me believe he's made any progress.
Well, if I remember, most of the interest generated after the Olympics was due to his ability to log top minutes, and play an effective defensive game against tough competition. But he didn't really show much scoring ability in the Olympics, with 1 assist in 4 games.

Compare that to 4 goals and 5 assists in 8 games, albeit against a somewhat lower level of competition, and it doesn't seem crazy to consider there might have been some progress in his offensive game.

Edit to Add: I still suspect he's fighting a losing battle longer term with all of the younger, seemingly more talented competition, but the flexibility he might give the Avalanche, is the possibility to let Elliot and Barrie log some more valuable minutes in the AHL to begin the season, and then when one is clearly ready to leapfrog him, they could look to find a trading partner for Holos mid-season (assuming he shows enough in camp that he's ready to play himself, which is of course not assured.)

Last edited by TatteredTornNFrayed: 05-18-2012 at 02:50 PM.
TatteredTornNFrayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:19 PM
Icebear

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post

Blame Google translate.... In Norwegian it says that Anders Carlsson and the other scouts likes what he has seen of HolÝs in WC and that Sacco also thinks that HolÝs have been performing very well.

Icebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

HolÝs isn't built for the NHL game... I think he should sign with the SEL/KHL/NLA long-term.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:31 PM
henchman24
If and if...

It would be nice if Holos could come back and play a bottom pairing role. Then hopefully Elliot can spend the whole year working on his game and getting the tough minutes in the AHL. I wouldn't even mind Barrie being forced down to the AHL by Holos.

I don't think any of that will happen though. Holos just didn'tseem like he could cut it as a NHL defenseman. I think he comes into training camp and is kept as a 7th D until we can find a taker.

Last edited by henchman24: 05-18-2012 at 03:39 PM.
henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote