HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

question about officials

Old
05-13-2012, 09:07 PM
gambitlebo

vCash: 500
question about officials

We all know/heard that the officials are rated per game to get to the playoffs, then series to series so the advance.

The question I have is if the officiating crew works the first round of an east series and is graded high enough to work round two, do they stay in the eastern conference?

Or are the shipped west to work those games?

Isn't to bash the officials, just curious if they are rotated for east to west each series?

That would make sense to me, keeps them from working the same winning team over and over again.

Just wondering how the officiating rotation works.

gambitlebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 09:08 PM
One7nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambitlebo View Post
We all know/heard that the officials are rated per game to get to the playoffs, then series to series so the advance.

The question I have is if the officiating crew works the first round of an east series and is graded high enough to work round two, do they stay in the eastern conference?

Or are the shipped west to work those games?

Isn't to bash the officials, just curious if they are rotated for east to west each series?

That would make sense to me, keeps them from working the same winning team over and over again.

Just wondering how the officiating rotation works.
Interesting question.

One7nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 09:15 PM
alcoraces

They have been mixing them up pretty well these playoffs. Familiarity breeds contempt, and you don't want to see the same faces night after night.

So yes, they rotate them. They keep the same guys together for the playoffs as much as possible though, but they do give them different teams as much as is logistically possible.

alcoraces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 09:34 PM
gambitlebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcoraces View Post
They have been mixing them up pretty well these playoffs. Familiarity breeds contempt, and you don't want to see the same faces night after night.

So yes, they rotate them. They keep the same guys together for the playoffs as much as possible though, but they do give them different teams as much as is logistically possible.
So do you think they rotate Round 1 officials on the east coast to round 2 where they have to work west coast games?

the best way to to keep them from having favorites is by rotating them east to west/west to east each round.

I hope they do that, but I'm not sure?

gambitlebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
So do you think they rotate Round 1 officials on the east coast to round 2 where they have to work west coast games?

the best way to to keep them from having favorites is by rotating them east to west/west to east each round.

Why don't you check? Box scores usually include officials names check which officials did each series in each round.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:52 AM
NJDevils11

Officials don't work games based on conferences. In I think every series to date, there hasn't been an officiating crew that has worked more than two games in a series. Referees are grouped in pairs in playoffs and so are linesman, but they can work a game in Vancouver and later in the week work one in New York and then go to Phoenix for the next game. Also, they are graded individually not as a pair.

NJDevils11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:57 AM
skolgoar

Quote:

In the last few years, there have been more refs living in the West. I think the league has adjusted regular season schedules to take advantage of the costs savings. In the playoffs, I think I have seen Western crews reffing in the Eastern games.

skolgoar is offline   Reply With Quote