HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Richards hired as Head Coach

Old
05-14-2012, 11:54 AM
RDriesenUD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Yes, I bet he is, but I don't know if restructuring a deal to take off a year is even possible. It isn't possible for players (unless there is a buyout), but I don't know if coaches are governed by different rules.
I don't know, but I would think they are.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
I don't find the news that disturbing. I'm interested in seeing what Richards can do this year.

Here is my take on why there was no formal search (complete speculation):

Howson has been told he has one year to turn the team around and make significant progress this year. He was told he is not able to bring in a new coach - he had made his bed with the Arniel/Richards hirings. If Richards and Howson can't right the ship, then the Jackets clean house next summer. They're only on the hook for 1 more year of Richards contract if that happens (pretty reasonable in terms of coach firings), and so that's why we see the 2-year contract instead of the standard 3.

What the benchmark for success this year is, I'm not sure. But, this hire makes sense from this perspective. If this benchmark isn't achieved, the new GM will be able to bring in their own coach.
Agree, it's also the easy way out keeping Richards, in other words avoiding another Arniel-like possibility. It does seem apparent Howson is being given one or two more years to fix the team, the two year contract for Richards seems to indicate the organization is being cautious.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:57 AM
hip check
Go North.

Not a sexy pick, but its the pick. Best of luck, Richards. Now suffer with the rest of us.

hip check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:21 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I think the key word is "formal". It doesn't mean that guys weren't talked to over the phone, or even face-to-face, without it being part of a truly all-encompassing search.

And for all we know, it could have been Lou Angotti, Ed Olczyk, and Rick Kehoe calling.
I don't care who called, I care who Howson called. If the answer is "no one" that's pathetic.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Aaron Portzline @Aportzline
#CBJ GM Scott Howson heard from 8-10 coaches interested in #CBJ job, but did not hold formal interviews.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I don't care who called, I care who Howson called. If the answer is "no one" that's pathetic.
Agree with Cap'n.

Lord knows I'm not one for conspiracies or over-reading into things not said, but the "Howson said 8-10 coaches interested" thing reads to me like a "see what a highly-desirable position we have despite the fact we didn't actually do a coaching search" comment - a possibly even made-up number that doesn't mean anything.

If the sum total of the search was to field a handful of calls and then hire Richards, that's bad. Again, I hesitate to make that assumption, but if...

Old
05-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

He did a nice job of holding things together in the midst of alot of turmoil last season. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do over the next 2 seasons.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I think the key word is "formal". It doesn't mean that guys weren't talked to over the phone, or even face-to-face, without it being part of a truly all-encompassing search.

And for all we know, it could have been Lou Angotti, Ed Olczyk, and Rick Kehoe calling.

Mike Milbury

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Mike Milbury
I hear he's available, and good !

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:38 PM
JacketsFanWest

The reason I like this is that they can start the rebuild now with a coach who knows the team, knows the players strengths & weaknesses and can make moves based on that, rather than waiting until mid-summer and having to start from scratch with a new coach.

The players know what Richards is expecting from them in training camp. They better be ready.

Richards isn't the greatest coach, but he can get the job done. Now Howson needs to get him the players he needs.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:38 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjoshjosh View Post
Good lord this board is one "WON'T SOMEONE PLEEEEEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN" away from complete hysteria.
Quote:
For Gods sake people you don't even know who called. NHL assistants, AHL coaches/asst, college guys, first timers, old timers.
I didn't realize the fans wanting an actual coaching search was such an irrational opinion. Please lecture some more, we'll all looking for you level headiness and guidance through these emotional, trying, times.

Oh, yes, you two (to start with, haven't looked further) were the first to board the fail train for the day. Enjoy your ride.

What's getting even more silly than Howson having a job is the whole... "Maybe Patrick <insert whatever nifty insight we think only Patrick was capable of coming up with, because Howson isn't capable of chewing bubble gum and walking at the same time while Priest won't fire him because he's likes people he can push around (wait does that mean that Patrick is easy to push around too? OMG!!1!!!11)>"

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:42 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
The reason I like this is that they can start the rebuild now with a coach who knows the team, knows the players strengths & weaknesses and can make moves based on that, rather than waiting until mid-summer and having to start from scratch with a new coach.

The players know what Richards is expecting from them in training camp. They better be ready.

Richards isn't the greatest coach, but he can get the job done. Now Howson needs to get him the players he needs.

RyJo never got much benefit of the doubt under Richards. I sincerely hope he constantly scratched him this past season only to try and help himself get the job, because in two years, we might be talking about another high pick in Johansen thats damaged goods.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:43 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Absolutely Capn.

Old
05-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I didn't realize the fans wanting an actual coaching search was such an irrational opinion. Please lecture some more, we'll all looking for you level headiness and guidance through these emotional, trying, times.

Oh, yes, you two (to start with, haven't looked further) were the first to board the fail train for the day. Enjoy your ride.

What's getting even more silly than Howson having a job is the whole... "Maybe Patrick <insert whatever nifty insight we think only Patrick was capable of coming up with, because Howson isn't capable of chewing bubble gum and walking at the same time while Priest won't fire him because he's likes people he can push around (wait does that mean that Patrick is easy to push around too? OMG!!1!!!11)>"
My point was simply that a great number of posters jump to the assumption nothing was done other than a number of phone calls were received. Nothing more, nothing less.

If that's jumping on the fail train...

...All Aboard.

Old
05-14-2012, 12:57 PM
blahblah

Quote:
My point was simply that a great number of posters jump to the assumption nothing was done other than a number of phone calls were received. Nothing more, nothing less.
They are responding to what has been reported. If Howson did more, he can feel free to share. Until then, the reactions are justified.

Do you really think sometime along the lines of "We interviewed a few (couple) candidates, but we feel we have the right man in the organization" would have done any harm to the point they would want to hide it?

What isn't said, that could have occurred, is that Howson reached out to some potential candidates and was told they had no interest. If so, that really speaks to the disaster they have created. Another option is that they requested interviews with people inside an organization and wasn't given permission. That is highly unlikely, to the point of not even being a consideration.

What we do know is that it wasn't leaked that Howson interviewed anyone and it was never reported that any team gave permission for the Jackets to talk to anyone under contract - including those recently canned. Highly unusual if you tried. Almost impossible these days.

Last edited by blahblah: 05-14-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old
05-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

Do you really think something along the lines of "We interviewed a few (couple) candidates, but we feel we have the right man in the organization" would have done any harm to the point they would want to hide it?
That I will agree with.

Old
05-14-2012, 01:01 PM
hip check
Go North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
RyJo never got much benefit of the doubt under Richards. I sincerely hope he constantly scratched him this past season only to try and help himself get the job, because in two years, we might be talking about another high pick in Johansen thats damaged goods.
I wondered when the 'Richards has/will inevitably ruin Johanson's career' post would come. Or did I miss an earlier one?

Old
05-14-2012, 01:07 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip check View Post
I wondered when the 'Richards has/will inevitably ruin Johanson's career' post would come. Or did I miss an earlier one?
I'm just sayin'.... There was a lot of people wondering why he was scratched a lot after Richards took over.

Old
05-14-2012, 01:09 PM
blahblah

Quote:
I'm just sayin'.... There was a lot of people wondering why he was scratched a lot after Richards took over.
He was trying to make a point obviously.

Old
05-14-2012, 01:11 PM
EDM

Isn't there a quote about insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?Well then MacJr. is truly insane. How many times has this organization done the "quick fix, two year re-tooling"? And how many times has the result been failure? Yet we are going to do it again? Heck, if that is what we want to do, let's get Doug Maclean back. Nobody does an unsuccessful two year re-build like Doug.
And at least when Doug does it the process becomes so insane that it is funny.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:13 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Howson just confirmed they contacted no one.... told guys interested that contacted them that they "Weren't ready to go external yet."

Old
05-14-2012, 01:15 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Howson just confirmed they contacted no one.... told guys interested that contacted them that they "Weren't ready to go external yet."
Wow, talk about taking a long time deciding on what direction you want to go. With such a lack of logic surrounding this. I'm wondering if this decision wasn't political or, at last, politics slowed down the decision.

Old
05-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Xoggz22

Ok, I'm just going to say it..... Portzline doesn't know what he's talking about. He's full of crap and has no connections.

Seriously, Portzline comes out with a twitter line and all of of sudden his word is trusted by many of you who find all his "reporting" incomprehensible, not possible, no nothing, etc.

I'll board the fail train because I was impressed with the effort, energy and fact we won more than we lost the last 1/4 of the season. Sure it's a small sample, but those wins were against teams trying to make the playoffs, win divisions, jockey for position, etc. I'm sure pressure could have something to do with it but I'm fine with the hire and until I hear something more concrete from additional sources, I'm not going to jump at the notion nothing happened in the front office for this decision to be made final.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:20 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
I'll board the fail train because I was impressed with the effort, energy and fact we won more than we lost the last 1/4 of the season. Sure it's a small sample, but those wins were against teams trying to make the playoffs, win divisions, jockey for position, etc. I'm sure pressure could have something to do with it but I'm fine with the hire and until I hear something more concrete from additional sources, I'm not going to jump at the notion nothing happened in the front office for this decision to be made final.
Well obviously something happened.

However your reasoning on supporting Richards doesn't really qualify for the fail train. Sorry.

Old
05-14-2012, 01:20 PM
hip check
Go North.

Quote:
I understand, and I understand why some fans were unhappy with the amount of playing time Ry Jo received. Right or wrong. The preemptive 'this prospect will be ruined because of this coach' has become nails on chalk board for me. Its way too early, but I know it will be discussed through out the season(s) until A) Ry Jo becomes what the fans imagine his potential is B) Ry Jo never reaches what fans imagine his potential is C) Ry Jo or Richards is gone.

Old
05-14-2012, 01:22 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

This does nothing to stoke my enthusiasm for next season.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote