HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dale Hunter Stepping Down Today

Old
05-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Halpysback

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishMeatballs1990 View Post
Hey guys on twitter saw that Marc Crawford was the leading candidate. Wouldn't mind it at all.

I remember in 09 when Bylsma was hired, the Pens fans have said that his style was much more wide open than Therrien's, but they had all the little details still drilled in their heads from Therrien's tenure, which made the end of that year quite successful. Hopefully if Crawford is the coach, something like that happens.
Watching Crawford in Dallas was physically painful.

If they don't win the cup with him (and they won't) it will be hell. And McPhee will be way too proud to fire him. Coaching carousel doesn't look good on a resume.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:10 PM
artilector

Hell no to Hartley. I remember his ATL stint very well, and he had Kovy playing big minutes with zero accountability. Seemed like a good guy, but no indication of tactical ability. One of those "motivator" coaches.

None of the candidates seem particularly promising. All the guys mentioned seems like the best you can expect is they'll be "ok".

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:12 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Watching Crawford in Dallas was physically painful.

If they don't win the cup with him (and they won't) it will be hell. And McPhee will be way too proud to fire him. Coaching carousel doesn't look good on a resume.
Yeah I'm not too familiar with him, but you never know. If he can get the young guns going, at least we could figure out if they're to fault or the system the past 2 years was.

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

I love this notion that all the candidates stink.

Well, DUH!

If they didn't they'd be employed!

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

I don't want Roy, Maurice, Martin, French, or Keenan.

Meh on Hartley, Wilson, Crawford, Gustafsson, Oates, or Eakins.

Could get behind McLellan (if fired), MacTavish, or Dallas Eakins' wife.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Capitlols

Can't help but reiterate how last off-season was the one to do a coaching change. There were far more candidates and my preference Paul MacLean would have meshed well here imo.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Can't help but reiterate how last off-season was the one to do a coaching change. There were far more candidates and my preference Paul MacLean would have meshed well here imo.
My mother teaches Bob Woods' son, and their family all expected it last off-season. According to Woods' wife, it would have been better then since they were prepared and could have relocated in the off-season.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:25 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

I still dislike Crawford left over from the Moore-Bertuzzi incident. That was some big-time bad voodoo there. (It's still in court, btw.)

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:27 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
My mother teaches Bob Woods' son, and their family all expected it last off-season. According to Woods' wife, it would have been better then since they were prepared and could have relocated in the off-season.
What about Woods? Would he be any good? I'm curious to know more about both him and Jim johnson.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Atlas

McPhee has to go.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:34 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Unless I missed it, why no discussion good or bad about Brent Sutter?

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:41 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Well at least if McPhee hires an established coach we should know right away which style of play the Caps team will have next year. McPhee won't be forcing an established NHL head coach to play an ultra trap.

Anyone have any insight on Crawford as a coach? His tendencies, gameplay, etc?

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:49 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Holtby is being interviewed on 980 right now. He just said Hunter told the team he was leaving in person and did not elaborate.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:28 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Haha. Yeah. Great way to build a relationship with your players. Never talk to them. I wonder what Hamrlik, Erskine, Halpern, Knuble, and MP thought of DH's decision.

There are some more straws up there on the top shelf. Way in the back. Keep grasping for them.
Well we all know what Green and Alzner said about Bruce leaving.

They are men getting paid whether they get their hands held or have to feed themselves. We both know 'never talking to them' is an outright lie but keep grasping for exaggerations yourself, its entertaining. Players are men too. If they don't understand something, they can be a man and stand up and ask him, am I not playing because I am old or slow, do you want younger and faster players? I am not sure they wanted to hear that, do you?

He may have chose to speak to them as a team and as a team alone. Ever consider that? Team play seemed to be a theme and the message seemed to get through.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:30 PM
LadyIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
@TarikElBashir: GMGM: "My job now is to find the best human talent I can find to coach the club."

Damnit no cyborgs.
That has to be the funniest quote I've ever seen from him. Maybe it means the cloning project of coaches past didn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
Is human the Canadian word for "no NHL coaching experience"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
Someone said it before. I'd like an actual hiring process. Credentials submitted, interviews conducted. Then hire someone with a clear vision for how to take this team to the next level.
They should do it like the blind auditions on The Voice. I don't want anyone in power getting blinded by someone's sexy, good looks.

LadyIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:39 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Wish GMGM would announce his resignation.
Look for pigs to have wings if he does.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:51 PM
IafrateOvie34

I remember Eakins in the old Jets oranization. Of the current guys out there, I wouldn't mind MacTavish. He was a great NHLer and took an over achieving Oilers team to Game 7 in 2006. Who knows, he could have won the cup that year had Roloson not been injured. I also liked him before the Hunter signing. I wouldn't be opposed to Carbonneau. Carbonneau was a leader, has cup rings as a player and would provide leadership. The question is if Evason stays .

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 06:20 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

wow, you guys took out the Cup champs, and lost by one goal in game 7 to the top team in the East. That's a pretty good post season IMO. Nothing to be ashamed about. I'm surprised so many of you are so happy about this news and equally indignant about a man's decision to go home and run the junior club he OWNS. Was the trap just that boring for you guys? If you guys had managed to win, would you still complain? I can understand the hate for the GM

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 06:22 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
wow, you guys took out the Cup champs, and lost by one goal in game 7 to the top team in the East. That's a pretty good post season IMO. Nothing to be ashamed about. I'm surprised so many of you are so happy about this news and equally indignant about a man's decision to go home and run the junior club he OWNS. Was the trap just that boring for you guys? If you guys had managed to win, would you still complain? I can understand the hate for the GM
Expectations are higher than being eliminated in the 2nd round. I said it before, but great goaltending papered over massive cracks in the system in the playoffs.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 06:44 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Expectations are higher than being eliminated in the 2nd round. I said it before, but great goaltending papered over massive cracks in the system in the playoffs.
Agree. But many here felt defensive awesomeness was papering over cracks in 70's goaltending.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 06:54 PM
sunnydaycrash

I just watched the Hunter exit interview.....he was one of my favorite players and personally I`m glad he coached the team even if it was temporary....it would`ve been a helluva story if he could`ve lead the Caps to a cup but at the same time, I`m glad he left on his terms.

The man bleeds for the Caps, he has literally and figuratively....so cheers Dale!!!!!

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 06:58 PM
artilector

also, inaccurate thread title -- it was not Dale Hunter stepping down, it was Earth stepping up!

sorry, I am bored

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 06:59 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Who stole more games for the caps in the playoffs in the modern era, or simply saved our tails, of Holtby, Varly, Neuvy.

I think Varly filled bigger cracks than the other 2.

But that's what good goalies have been doing in the playoffs for some time now.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Who stole more games for the caps in the playoffs in the modern era, or simply saved our tails, of Holtby, Varly, Neuvy.

Has to be Varly and Holtby real close behind him. Holtby had a lot of issues that were masked because we blocked and swept away everything in sight.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 07:03 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

Varly didn't have anywhere near the support Holtby had this year or the support Noovy had last year.

He straight up stole games for us against the Rags and the Pens a few years ago.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote