HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Scoring leaders so far

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2012, 02:11 AM
JFG

vCash: 500
Granlund has been out of his groove since that missed penalty shot in the WJC. But don't worry he'll bounce back eventually.

I wouldn't agree with the poster that stated that the Finns have a "boatload" of other players that aren't too far behind Granlund though. Granlund is in a league of his own atm.

Old
05-15-2012, 02:17 AM
YARR123

People are basing their opinions on Granlund based on one or two games, both in which the whole team played very badly and Granlund's line was brutal. Sure, he hasn't played very well but you have to look at the big picture.

Old
05-15-2012, 02:33 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFG View Post
Granlund has been out of his groove since that missed penalty shot in the WJC. But don't worry he'll bounce back eventually.

I wouldn't agree with the poster that stated that the Finns have a "boatload" of other players that aren't too far behind Granlund though. Granlund is in a league of his own atm.
I think right now, MG and Vatanen are in their own league. After that Armia, MaG, Barkov etc.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:35 AM
JFG

Granlund >>>>>>>>>>> Vatanen >>>> Armia, Barkov > Granlund Jr >>>>>> The rest

For example, if Granlund was swedish he would be top 3 of the players born in the 90s. Vatanen wouldn't even crack top 10.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:41 AM
Muuri

Quote:

For example, if Granlund was swedish he would be top 3 of the players born in the 90s. Vatanen wouldn't even crack top 10.
And why is this?

Old
05-15-2012, 04:59 AM
JFG

Why is what?

The ranking I made is based on the accomplishments and potential of each player and I think that Granlund (in both aspects) is way superior Vatanen.

If your referring to the statement about swedes I can name these defensmen born in the 90s which I think are better than Vatanen:

Karlsson, OEL, Larsson, Rundblad, Hedman, Brodin, Erixon, Klefbom. And that is just defensemen.

But this is not the time and place for this discussion, my point was that Granlund is the best finish prospect BY FAR and that he will bounce back from this slump.

Old
05-15-2012, 05:03 AM
Mara

Quote:
Why is what?

The ranking I made is based on the accomplishments and potential of each player and I think that Granlund (in both aspects) is way superior Vatanen.

If your referring to the statement about swedes I can name these defensmen born in the 90s which I think are better than Vatanen:

Karlsson, OEL, Larsson, Rundblad, Hedman, Brodin, Erixon, Klefbom. And that is just defensemen.

But this is not the time and place for this discussion, my point was that Granlund is the best finish prospect BY FAR and that he will bounce back from this slump.
Granlund isn't in his own league though. Vatanen is just as good stick handler, has a better shot and is a much better skater. The only problem for Vatanen is that he plays D and is 179cm - a big problem in modern NHL. Not that Granlund will have it much easier since he is small too and doesn't have the skating ability of Vatanen.

Just to put some additional perspective, if Vatanen wasn't injured he would be in the WHC this year.

Old
05-15-2012, 05:54 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Granlund isn't in his own league though. Vatanen is just as good stick handler, has a better shot and is a much better skater. The only problem for Vatanen is that he plays D and is 179cm - a big problem in modern NHL. Not that Granlund will have it much easier since he is small too and doesn't have the skating ability of Vatanen.

Just to put some additional perspective, if Vatanen wasn't injured he would be in the WHC this year.
I allways wondered how did skillfull guy like Vatanen end up playing D.. When I were kid, the worser players were put to play D and the worst was the goalie.

Old
05-15-2012, 06:21 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Is Faulk doing enough to get real consideration for 2014? I think we are very lucky to have stolen him in the 2nd Round a few years back...

Old
05-15-2012, 06:52 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Anton View Post
Is Faulk doing enough to get real consideration for 2014? I think we are very lucky to have stolen him in the 2nd Round a few years back...
If guys like Faulk and Patches aren't getting serious consideration for spots on the Sochi team, then USA Hockey needs to start paying attention.

Old
05-15-2012, 07:09 AM
YARR123

Quote:
Why is what?

This again is OT but I would say that based on somewhat limited viewings, right now Vatanen is a better player than Rundblad, Brodin, Erixon or Klefbom. Then again judging by potential you are probably right about all of the above you listed.

This because I've never seen anyone dominate the SM-liiga from a defenseman position like Vatanen has. Simply he's a very good pro player. Also judging by this past SM-liiga season it would be a tough choice to say which of Vatanen and Granlund was the better player, though again, Granlund has the higher potential because it's easier to become a top NHL forward at 5'10 than it is to become an NHL defenseman at 5'10.

Old
05-15-2012, 07:41 AM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Patrick Thoresen is now #1.

Numero Uno.

Old
05-15-2012, 07:57 AM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post

Numero Uno.
Awesome! And Norway has scored the most goals by any team not named Canada.

edit: including 11 goals more than Finland...

Old
05-15-2012, 09:51 AM
SkilledViking
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post

Numero Uno.
Thoresen continues to impress! Today in Norways 6-2 win against Danmark. He ended up with 1 goal and 3 assist for a total of 4 points. He also has 10 (!) points in his last two games

Bringing him up to a total of 16 points (6 G 10 A) in 7 games

Old
05-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Lee Van Cleef*

Thoresen is dominating these scrubs

Old
05-15-2012, 10:40 AM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 50
Thoresen is in beast mode. Who would of thought Norway would be #2 in offense so far.

Old
05-15-2012, 11:21 AM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH15 View Post
For Team Canada Tavares & Skinner have been dynamic and incredibly fun to watch. I loved them with Sharp before that line was split up. John Tavares is slowly becoming (in my eyes) one of the most complete players in the world. He does everything well.
Tavares is a hidden gem in hockey. Nobody watches this guy play except for Isles fans. There aren't many Isles fans left, there's zero media that follows the team and they get no presence in Canada except the odd Saturday night game.

Having seen almost all his games in the NHL, and many in junior, this guy is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT player than he was even a year ago. He has improved his skating tremendously and has gotten his man-strength at the same time. This has given him a fraction more time and space that allows his hockey sense to create offense out of nothing.

Nice to see the hockey world starting to appreciate this guy. He's not the flashiest but he's among the most effective players in the world.

Would love to see Tavares-Stamkos-Crosby (as others have said) in the Olympics - maybe one day soon.

Old
05-15-2012, 01:16 PM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:

Shows that you have very little clue about Finland's prospects, where is Pulkkinen in your little list?

Old
05-15-2012, 02:58 PM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Bach View Post
Shows that you have very little clue about Finland's prospects, where is Pulkkinen in your little list?
Hopefully nowhere near the top-10. Pulkkinen shouldn't be mentioned with names like Vatanen and Granlund.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Didn't a notable part of Thorensson's come from the Germany mutilation?

EDIT: Yep he had 3+3=6 that game http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/272/IHM272S46_74_3_0.pdf

Old
05-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Hopefully nowhere near the top-10. Pulkkinen shouldn't be mentioned with names like Vatanen and Granlund.
Sadly I think Pulkkinen will fade like Rajala... Damn it

Old
05-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Duncan Keith is first in assists and third in points. That's pretty impressive for a defenseman.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Didn't a notable part of Thorensson's come from the Germany mutilation?

EDIT: Yep he had 3+3=6 that game http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/272/IHM272S46_74_3_0.pdf
Even so, he's having quite an impressive tournament - as is the entire Norwegian squad.

Old
05-15-2012, 04:32 PM
Skellhell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
Duncan Keith is first in assists and third in points. That's pretty impressive for a defenseman.
Not anymore

Old
05-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Even so, he's having quite an impressive tournament - as is the entire Norwegian squad.
Oh no I'm not discrediting him as a player at all. Without that game he still has very respectable points. It's just inflated la Forsberg's WJC when he had 10 points vs Japan.

Closed Thread