Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

no more twinkies

Old
11-17-2012, 12:19 PM
OLD51JOHN

vCash: 500
no more twinkies

A real union coes onion goes on strike ... Result 33,000 on the bread line.. Nhl gets lockout result Europeon vacations.. If the nhl got rid of markets that have no real support from fans... Result Over 100 players would be looking for work,,,

OLD51JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:04 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

yes?

BrainOfJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Ratty

Wait, Donald Fehr represents the Bakers Union, too?

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Gonzothe7thDman

So twinkies caused the lockout?

Gonzothe7thDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:00 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

vCash: 50
take away all competition for the NHL owners to have to worry about? not the best idea

that would turn pro hockey from an oligopoly to a monopoly...

give the NHL owners no competition and the players only one choice, then the players would be happy with a 20/80 split

wKetch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
Just as pot is getting legalized, too?! There would have been so much potential money with all of the munchies.

Also I stand with the other 4, what does this have to do with the NHL lockout...?

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Salem13

Most Hostess products were sickly sweet corn syrupy shadows of their former selves anyways.

Salem13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:04 AM
don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salem13 View Post
Most Hostess products were sickly sweet corn syrupy shadows of their former selves anyways.
but I prefer them to Lil' Debbie's like products.

don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 10:07 AM
BIG BAD BRUINS

We still have Twinkie's in Canada, make a road trip and load up!

BIG BAD BRUINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 11:07 AM
wetcamelfood

I liked Ho-Hos better than Yodels because they used milk chocolate instead of the dark on the Yodels

wetcamelfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD51JOHN View Post
A real union coes onion goes on strike ... Result 33,000 on the bread line.. Nhl gets lockout result Europeon vacations.. If the nhl got rid of markets that have no real support from fans... Result Over 100 players would be looking for work,,,
I dont know the situation well enough to blame the hostess thing 100% on an unreasonable union... seems there might have been bad management too

but your point is a good point. Ultimately whether management is 'bad' or not... a shutdown will result in the union losing jobs. Whether the union is at fault or not... a shutdown will result in the union losing jobs.

sometimes the jobs arent worth keeping if the union needs to make too many concesions. Perhaps with hostess, the jobs werent worth keeping? Perhaps its a favor to these 33 000 people that they are jobless now. I dont know there situation well enough to judge that...

i think the nhl jobs are worth keeping though even if they need to make some concesions. RIGHT OR WRONG management... the league is in a lockout. RIGHT OR WRONG management, the decesion has been made no jobs until concesions are made.

I dont know how realistic it is for the NHL to contract teams now... but we certainly have seen it in the past. We saw leagues like the IHL and WHA and USFL and XFL go poof. It happens. Even when these leagues are owned by billionares, it still happens.

If the economics dont make sense to the billionare owners of these sports leagues/teams... they will shut them down.

The union is playing russian roulette if they are trying to insist to keep an unworkable business model. Im not the one making this judgement... the owners are. So ultimately its between the players and the owners whether the league gets shut down or teams get contracted... but sadly its us fans that get hurt again if its our own team that goes poof.

ill miss the twinkies

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:03 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
Just as pot is getting legalized, too?! There would have been so much potential money with all of the munchies.

Also I stand with the other 4, what does this have to do with the NHL lockout...?
Oreos are the only thing that satisfies munchies.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:30 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
I dont know the situation well enough to blame the hostess thing 100% on an unreasonable union... seems there might have been bad management too

but your point is a good point. Ultimately whether management is 'bad' or not... a shutdown will result in the union losing jobs. Whether the union is at fault or not... a shutdown will result in the union losing jobs.

sometimes the jobs arent worth keeping if the union needs to make too many concesions. Perhaps with hostess, the jobs werent worth keeping? Perhaps its a favor to these 33 000 people that they are jobless now. I dont know there situation well enough to judge that...

i think the nhl jobs are worth keeping though even if they need to make some concesions. RIGHT OR WRONG management... the league is in a lockout. RIGHT OR WRONG management, the decesion has been made no jobs until concesions are made.

I dont know how realistic it is for the NHL to contract teams now... but we certainly have seen it in the past. We saw leagues like the IHL and WHA and USFL and XFL go poof. It happens. Even when these leagues are owned by billionares, it still happens.

If the economics dont make sense to the billionare owners of these sports leagues/teams... they will shut them down.

The union is playing russian roulette if they are trying to insist to keep an unworkable business model. Im not the one making this judgement... the owners are. So ultimately its between the players and the owners whether the league gets shut down or teams get contracted... but sadly its us fans that get hurt again if its our own team that goes poof.

ill miss the twinkies
The issue with Hostess had to do with a glut of production on the market -- the jobs were worth keeping, but the bosses didn't feel that they were worth paying for, and the union took exception to what the ownership and management was willing to pay for and how many workers they intended to keep. so thanks to their spirit of solidarity and union action, all of their workers out out of a job instead of merely some.

If your job isn't worth keeping, walk. If it is worth keeping, work. Or don't and get fired, your call. I have yet to see any good a union does that's worth all the trouble. Back when no one in Washington really took labor's side, maybe I could see it, but labor has one party in their pocket right now and the other is largely out of power -- I see little use for individual unions in that environment.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Strafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post

ill miss the twinkies
WOW!
"sometimes the jobs arent worth keeping if the union needs to make too many concesions. Perhaps with hostess, the jobs werent worth keeping? Perhaps its a favor to these 33 000 people that they are jobless now. I dont know there situation well enough to judge that..."

Are you kidding???? People are hurting. People bought territories and took out long term mortgages. THIRTY THREE THOUSAND plus people are going to lose out just prior to the holidays and perhaps never recover since they are part of the old economy and don't sit at desks shuffling papers at their computers. The union shot its members plus thousands more in the foot and now many thousands will lose out short and long term.

Strafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strafer View Post
WOW!
"sometimes the jobs arent worth keeping if the union needs to make too many concesions. Perhaps with hostess, the jobs werent worth keeping? Perhaps its a favor to these 33 000 people that they are jobless now. I dont know there situation well enough to judge that..."

Are you kidding???? People are hurting. People bought territories and took out long term mortgages. THIRTY THREE THOUSAND plus people are going to lose out just prior to the holidays and perhaps never recover since they are part of the old economy and don't sit at desks shuffling papers at their computers. The union shot its members plus thousands more in the foot and now many thousands will lose out short and long term.
i guess you dont follow the logic so ill try again...

im not totally anti-union. and i will admit that in the past there were 'slave labor jobs' where the workers were so abused that unions were needed.

i will conceed that sometimes... it was worth having a union to break a company cause the jobs sucked so much... it was worth it.

now in my post, i didnt say that hostess fit into this catagory. I said that i didnt know. I dont want to know. Im not interested enough to care. The union seems to have made that judgement themselves. They are in a better position to care about it then i am. They made their choice. It doesnt effect me alot because i think some other company will buy the rights to twinkees and ill get them anyhow even if hostess isnt the label on the package.

so ultimately i have very very very little invested in the hostess situation other then i found it was a good way to draw a parrallal to the world of hockey.

The hostess story is done now. The hockey story goes on. Was there a lesson to be learnt?

Bettman says... lets take a 2 week break from talks... the hostess company shuts down... and suddenly the players say lets negotiate...

did they suddenly feel their jobs are worth keeping?

its clear the nhl is willing to lose this season. theyve made their choice. maybe not all the owners think its the best idea... but enough do.

so ball is in the court of the players now. Do they want to keep their jobs?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 10:01 PM
chizzler

Man................I like twinkees. Someone has to by the rights to this marvelous product...........please.

chizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 11:06 PM
BubbaBoot

Friend of mine worked as a mechanic for the delivery trucks. Up at 5:30 every morning, worked til 3:30 officially, often put in overtime because the garage was constantly understaffed, he was on call for any trucks that broke down on the road and them trucks were old. Often worked on Saturdays and had to rush out to get to the rink for our skate, (he's a GK so he's important).

Busted his ass at work, he's 56 this week and he's out of work...I wonder what the golden parachute is for the execs?

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 11:14 PM
DanielEtvs
stuck on stoopid

LOLOL speaking of twinkies , check out this weird (yet funny) youtube video i just came across, and notice the Twinkie reference at the end! haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To8e24stUEc

DanielEtvs is offline   Reply With Quote