HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012/2013 Bruins Prospect Thread (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
07-18-2012, 08:28 AM
Beesfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
There are too many excuses made about Knight. He had a disappointing year, no way around it. He played on a stacked team and didn't score enough goals. For people asking why Griffith got more oppertunity it's because he scored 45 goals, he flourished all years long. Knight hasn't been that consistent of a goal scorer since he was 17. I still love Knight as a prospect, love his character and his skill set but I'm not absolutely sold on his offensive upside. His hands really aren't that top notch and his creativity isn't up to par of someone like Griffith. I agree with all that Brock said, interesting he isn't quite so down on Camara like a lot of you are.
There's actually something to this. On the bright side, at worst Knight should be a more physical version of Dan Paille or Chuck Kobasew.

Old
07-18-2012, 09:39 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
I'm putting together a Knight hate list that will make Keyser Soze look like Dale Carnagie.

Here is a video of some of Knight's goals- sure looks like a mucker to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUyxPRa4Vt0

i'm probably one of the few people who doesn't run and hide around here when they are wrong and will take my medicine. That said, if Knight ends up as many of you bashers think I'll own up- hope you guys will do the same

just to add, this year when he got the concussion he was the leading +/- forward at the time in the OHL and T-O-L-D by Dale Hunter his role would be changing as more a shut down guy....

I'll get jake77 to weigh in on this since he has forgotten more than I'll ever know

Old
07-18-2012, 09:44 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
There are too many excuses made about Knight. He had a disappointing year, no way around it. He played on a stacked team and didn't score enough goals. For people asking why Griffith got more oppertunity it's because he scored 45 goals, he flourished all years long. Knight hasn't been that consistent of a goal scorer since he was 17. I still love Knight as a prospect, love his character and his skill set but I'm not absolutely sold on his offensive upside. His hands really aren't that top notch and his creativity isn't up to par of someone like Griffith. I agree with all that Brock said, interesting he isn't quite so down on Camara like a lot of you are.
From all I have read (much from OOG) who`s arguably seen him play more than anyone here, it`s the fact that the Hunter`s were far more confident in Knight`s ability to play a defensive role in shutting down opponents top lines rather than a guy like Griffith.

Griffith is a shooter, a goal scorer, he`s hardly looked at and viewed as a guy who has the defensive game (nor foot speed) to play that style. The Hunter`s love guys who are responsible defensively, and Knight was, by far, more reliable than Griffith would have been on a 3rd line shutdown role.

Knight accepted that role, and produced a very solid season as a PPG player, he did get PP time, but Griffith has been, and most likely, always will be viewed as a guy who`s offense is his ticket, Knight brings a much better rounded package to the table.

There`s a reason why his name has come up more than once involving other teams inquiries to aquire him via trade etc.... I am one who can see Griffith never making an ounce of impact at the pro level unless he can bring or accept adding another dimension to his game. Knight`s game, his drive, his internal approach of driving the net without hesitation can`t be taught and I think will translate very well to the NHL game, doesn`t mean he`ll ever be a prolific scorer, never was at the Junior level, but I can see him being a solid contributor.

Griffith???? Hmm, I only watched him play maybe 6 times, and what he was able to do at the Junior level, I`m not sure can be duplicated with success at a Pro level playing against men who are experienced. He`ll need to add some things to his arsenal.
, listened to, and watched quite a few of the "experts" on draft day talk about him, they all loved his hands but the kid was referred to as someone who`ll need to develop more to his game to have it better round out to play in the NHL

Old
07-18-2012, 09:48 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I'm putting together a Knight hate list that will make Keyser Soze look like Dale Carnagie.

i'm probably one of the few people who doesn't run and hide around here when they are wrong and will take my medicine. That said, if Knight ends up as many of you bashers think I'll own up- hope you guys will do the same

just to add, this year when he got the concussion he was the leading +/- forward at the time in the OHL and T-O-L-D by Dale Hunter his role would be changing as more a shut down guy....

I'll get jake77 to weigh in on this since he has forgotten more than I'll ever know

Guy has NHL bust written all over him

With ya, some think or appear to think that those who are Knight supporters believe the guy is a 40-50 goal scorer which I`ve not seen one fan state, ya just can`t teach hustle/drive/willingness and effort, top that off with a great shot, speed and a willingness to play physical, I just can`t understand why others aren`t excited about a kid that 29 other teams would love to have??

He appears to be as ready for Pro hockey as they come, may spend a year or part of the year in Providence to be fully assimilated but...

Old
07-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Guy has NHL bust written all over him

With ya, some think or appear to think that those who are Knight supporters believe the guy is a 40-50 goal scorer which I`ve not seen one fan state, ya just can`t teach hustle/drive/willingness and effort, top that off with a great shot, speed and a willingness to play physical, I just can`t understand why others aren`t excited about a kid that 29 other teams would love to have??

He appears to be as ready for Pro hockey as they come, may spend a year or part of the year in Providence to be fully assimilated but...
ODAAT, you and I have both been around long enough to know that there is a certain segment of the population that isn't happy unless it's miserable.

I don't have a crystal ball. I have no idea how fast or far Knight will develop. But damn, I am so looking forward to watching it happen!

Old
07-18-2012, 10:08 AM
The Special K
Hoss MOFO, Hoss.

I don't know why folks are talking as though it would be a bad thing if Knight turned into a Kobasew type player. To be a solid checker who could pot 20-25 goals per season is nothing to be discounted. I would love for him to be 30-35 guy, but I will be more than happy with the 20-25 guy.

Old
07-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post

I am the morning DJ.....

From what I've read from people who have actually seen him play, and maybe even know him a little, I'm very excited about Knight.

When I hear him compared to Ryan Callahan, I get....well, don't want any board infractions!

Old
07-18-2012, 12:18 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
ODAAT, you and I have both been around long enough to know that there is a certain segment of the population that isn't happy unless it's miserable.

I don't have a crystal ball. I have no idea how fast or far Knight will develop. But damn, I am so looking forward to watching it happen!
Me too, what a time to be a Bruin fan with a young crop like Segs already there, then potentially, Koko/Knight/Spooner/Hamilton, man, if the man/woman upstairs is listening, can u please have all meet maximum potential and bring us Bruin fans loads of Cups with them

Old
07-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Fire Julien

You're not going to be a 25 g scorer in the NHL when you only score 25 in juniors, it's that simple. A low goal total like that shows that your shot isn't really good, and the difference between the OHL and the NHL is HUGE.

Old
07-18-2012, 12:21 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss The Ring View Post
You're not going to be a 25 g scorer in the NHL when you only score 25 in juniors, it's that simple. A low goal total like that shows that your shot isn't really good, and the difference between the OHL and the NHL is HUGE.
Rick Nash had 30 and 31 goal years in London. I'm not saying Knight will be but sometimes those junior numbers don't mean ****

Old
07-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Fire Julien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan_37 View Post
Rick Nash had 30 and 31 goal years in London. I'm not saying Knight will be but sometimes those junior numbers don't mean ****
as a 16 and 17 year old. A 19-20 year old true goal scorer should be scoring 40-50 goals with ease , not a mere 25 g.

Old
07-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Fire Julien

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special K View Post
I don't know why folks are talking as though it would be a bad thing if Knight turned into a Kobasew type player. To be a solid checker who could pot 20-25 goals per season is nothing to be discounted. I would love for him to be 30-35 guy, but I will be more than happy with the 20-25 guy.
Some folks like getting a player with good offensive upside when picking early in the 2nd round, such as Tyler Toffoli (picked after Knight, who has actually regressed in the last 2 seasons)

Old
07-18-2012, 12:37 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
as a 16 and 17 year old. A 19-20 year old true goal scorer should be scoring 40-50 goals with ease , not a mere 25 g.
On the third line with the Hunter's asking him to take on a defensive role this year with some PP time. Your theories are suspect at best about how a Junior's numbers will or won't translate at the pro level

Old
07-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Fire Julien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
On the third line with the Hunter's asking him to take on a defensive role this year with some PP time. Your theories are suspect at best about how a Junior's numbers will or won't translate at the pro level
There is nothing suspect about projecting junior stats into NHL stats, and it's nothing new.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/projecting_to_nhl.php

Quote:
If he’s 20, on average, he’ll retain just 26% of his scoring

Old
07-18-2012, 12:54 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
There is nothing suspect about projecting junior stats into NHL stats, and it's nothing new.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/projecting_to_nhl.php
Classic, stats tell the whole story do they??? Sorry, been watching/following this game too long to strictly go on stats, if I didn't work full time, school full time I could sit here and produce a lengthy list of Juniors who popped goals on a regular basis and did squat in the pro's, I'll wager this, when all is said and done waaay down the road, Knight has more goals/pts than Griffith but........your stats source says otherwise so we'll see

Old
07-18-2012, 02:05 PM
agreen23

Quote:
Yes, he should have potted 40-50 goals playing only 52 games... Why cant he be a god **** GPG player?

Calm down, he had 36 goals his 17 year old season (more than Nash). Hes been a PPG player the last 3 years. Also, in the most recent season, his roll changed. He did not play top gun with Kadri as his center. He played a third line checking roll, was very responsible defensively, had a +23 rating matching up with other teams top lines and still managed 52 points in 52 games.

Old
07-18-2012, 02:44 PM
Beesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special K View Post
And the benefit is that Knight hits like a truck, where Kobasew isn't all that physical.

Old
07-18-2012, 03:21 PM
DKH

Quote:
I used to think you had a clue about hockey and were just looking for attention with your posts, but you 'jumped the shark' with the shot comment.

You can say Knight has no hockey sense, picks his nose on camera, but insinuating his shot isn't that good just shows you don't watch

hate to do this because I sound obnoxious which I can be- but Sweeney in a private moment (I'm paraphrasing and might be off a word or two but pretty close) has said 'Jared has a fantastic shot and needs to take use it -start being selfish (and worrying about everyone on his line)....that is was Sweeney in the Spring off record but hey, he would have zero reason to make up anything; he also said he needs to work on his game to be fair but overall insinuated with more polished linemates he should adapt even better- some guys do, and he projects him as one.

Last edited by DKH: 07-18-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old
07-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Fire Julien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesfan View Post
And the benefit is that Knight hits like a truck, where Kobasew isn't all that physical.
Kobasew wasn't a grinder, he was a scorer who wasn't good enough to score at the NHL level and couldn't stay healthy and turned into a two-way plug. Knight is a grinder who was thought to have some offensive skill, which he didn't show in his last 2 years of junior hockey.

Old
07-18-2012, 04:10 PM
jake77

Quote:
I'm going to start off by saying that I've seen in person, probably 80% of the games that Jared Knight played in the OHL. What separates Knight from all the other Junors mentioned recently in this post is his compete level. He will take a hit to make the right play whereas that IS NOT the case everyone else. Physically he's very close to being NHL ready whereas many who are being recently mentioned are years away from being physically ready.

In Knights third year in the OHL he lead his team in scoring while being asked to play with 2, 16 year old first year players. In his 4th year he was faced with the same situation. One must also remember that in his 2nd year in the league he scored 28 five on five goals which is just a couple less than Tyler Seguin, who probably logged 8 to 10 minutes more ice time per game than Knight. This in a league were it seems that most goals are scored on the power play.

I'm convinced that Jared Knight will be better pro than a Junior, given that he will be playing with better players. He does have to become more focussed on scoring goals instead of passing to teamates. And finally, for those who do not think that he possesses an NHL shot, all I can say is that you simply do not know what your talking about.

Old
07-18-2012, 04:14 PM
jake77

Quote:
Kobasew wasn't a grinder, he was a scorer who wasn't good enough to score at the NHL level and couldn't stay healthy and turned into a two-way plug. Knight is a grinder who was thought to have some offensive skill, which he didn't show in his last 2 years of junior hockey.
Bet you didn't know that Knight lead his team in scoring in his third year, which fyi is 2 years ago. Perhaps you should ge your facts right.

Old
07-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Fire Julien

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake77 View Post
Bet you didn't know that Knight lead his team in scoring in his third year, which fyi is 2 years ago. Perhaps you should ge your facts right.
So did guys like Taylor Beck, Greg McKegg, Christian Thomas, who were picked after Knight and played better than him last season. I don't read fans of the teams that picked them going crazy over them.

Old
07-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Beesfan

Quote:
No. Knight drafted as a scorer, which is why he went 32nd overall. He is not a prolific scorer, but he does have genuine offensive talent.

Old
07-18-2012, 04:44 PM
DKH

Quote:
So did guys like Taylor Beck, Greg McKegg, Christian Thomas, who were picked after Knight and played better than him last season. I don't read fans of the teams that picked them going crazy over them.
dude, trust me this guy AND his offspring, friends, and other family members knows a little bit about the game- just a little bit

funniest line since I been on this board

Old
07-18-2012, 05:24 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Not a fan of how KTR goes about his business but he does raise some valid points IMO on being able to score goals in the "O" as a 20 year old....It's odd his career high in goals was a full two years ago.

that being said, his draft year, HockeyProspect compared his shot to Brett Hull. That my friends, is pretty elite company.

Closed Thread