HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012/2013 Bruins Prospect Thread (Part 3)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-29-2012, 07:41 PM
  #476
Spooner st
Registered User
 
Spooner st's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,498
vCash: 500
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boston-...0698--nhl.html


Quote:
Exactly half of the list is made up of centers, including good friends and self-defined bromance partners Ryan Spooner and Jared Knight at second and third place, respectively. Spooner is done with his junior career, but he's had a big one, including an impressive 62 points in 50 games for the Kingston Frontenacs in 2010-11. He'll most likely take his scoring skills to Providence with Knight, who's also put together a big junior career with a standout 2010-11 season. Knight also went deep into the Memorial Cup playoffs and his London Knights quite nearly won the Cup itself.

Spooner st is offline  
Old
08-30-2012, 04:48 PM
  #477
Alan Ryan
Registered User
 
Alan Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,921
vCash: 500
Here are excerpts from an article about Ryan Spooner's preparation for his first professional season. He has added some weight and is up to 186 pounds.


The 20-year-old Spooner said that he’s all the way up to 186 pounds from the 174 pounds when he was drafted in the second round by the Bruins back in 2010, and he's still working on building size and strength headed into camp next month.

“I’ve been doing a lot of edge work and a lot of evasive stuff with spins and stick-handling to develop my game when I’m in tight [with the puck in heavy traffic]. In the gym I’ve focused on strengthening muscles that are weak like my hip flexors and my groin. It’s better to be in the lineup than to be hurt, and that gives me the best chance to make the big club.”

“It’s my third camp and I’m excited to get back at it. I’ve been skating with a lot of pro guys, so hopefully that helps me out in main camp when it starts. If that doesn’t work out then I’ll start off in the American Hockey League and have plenty of fun.”



http://www.csnne.com/hockey-boston-b...5&feedID=10428

Alan Ryan is offline  
Old
09-05-2012, 12:15 AM
  #478
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL
 
VeddarRants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 12,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
Spooner at 5'11 215 lbs will do it. nice call- although if Knight had his hair sticking straight up and puffed out his chest he might have gotten Ryan
There's no way Spooner's at 215...

VeddarRants is offline  
Old
09-05-2012, 12:15 AM
  #479
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL
 
VeddarRants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 12,451
vCash: 500
Hockey's Future rankings are in: Subban is an 8C

VeddarRants is offline  
Old
09-08-2012, 09:42 AM
  #480
Kirk- NEHJ
Registered User
 
Kirk- NEHJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: CAV Country!
Country: United States
Posts: 12,745
vCash: 500
Per Brendan Ross, Seth Griffith had 2g (PP, SH), 1a in 6-4 London win over Plymouth in preseason action last night.

Kirk- NEHJ is offline  
Old
09-08-2012, 11:56 AM
  #481
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
Per Brendan Ross, Seth Griffith had 2g (PP, SH), 1a in 6-4 London win over Plymouth in preseason action last night.
Other sources say it was a five point night (2 goals, 3 assists), I know it was at least four points because it was 4-3 when I left and he had two goals, two assists then. Absolutely dominated, the hands on the first goal were ridiculous and the first assist was an exceptional pass to Rupert. Could lead the league in scoring.

bruinsfan46 is offline  
Old
09-08-2012, 12:37 PM
  #482
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 27,662
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
There's no way Spooner's at 215...
he isn't it was in response to that poster who goes out of his way to bash Knight....read what he said. Knight is 210 so if Spooner is bigger according to poster than I put him at 215 tounge in cheek. Ryan I believe is between 180-185

DKH is offline  
Old
09-08-2012, 12:46 PM
  #483
Ratty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Rive Gauche
Posts: 5,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Other sources say it was a five point night (2 goals, 3 assists), I know it was at least four points because it was 4-3 when I left and he had two goals, two assists then. Absolutely dominated, the hands on the first goal were ridiculous and the first assist was an exceptional pass to Rupert. Could lead the league in scoring.
Just wondering, and I looked up his London stats, why he dropped to the fifth round?

Ratty is offline  
Old
09-08-2012, 12:59 PM
  #484
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Just wondering, and I looked up his London stats, why he dropped to the fifth round?
Not real big, not real fast. He went undrafted his original draft year in 2011 which never should have happened IMO.

bruinsfan46 is offline  
Old
09-08-2012, 01:17 PM
  #485
Ratty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Rive Gauche
Posts: 5,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Not real big, not real fast. He went undrafted his original draft year in 2011 which never should have happened IMO.
Kinda describes Adam Oates, eh?

Ratty is offline  
Old
09-08-2012, 01:47 PM
  #486
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 27,662
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Just wondering, and I looked up his London stats, why he dropped to the fifth round?
what is bizarre is Lightning GM Steve Yzerman was often in London to watch fellow Knights and linemate Namestikov play and the the Bolts had a boatload of picks and not only didn't use one on Seth but EVEN traded the pick to Boston to draft him.

The other wierd one to me atleast was the Capitals with double digit picks passing on him- Dale Hunter was the coach and certainly knows Griffith (like his adopted son) and you'd think have told GM George McPhee about him.

He certainly looks great, not even good, in the OHL and if he starts adding some jam and playing consistently in the high traffic areas, puts on some more muscle he could be in Boston in a few years

DKH is offline  
Old
09-08-2012, 02:38 PM
  #487
redsox7327
Registered User
 
redsox7327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Hockey's Future rankings are in: Subban is an 8C
And Jared Knight dropped to a 6.5B. Jamie Arniel territory... /sadface!!!

redsox7327 is offline  
Old
09-08-2012, 06:49 PM
  #488
JL17
Registered User
 
JL17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Just wondering, and I looked up his London stats, why he dropped to the fifth round?
It was his play away from the puck as well.... committing to his own end was tough often would fly the zone and leave his team a man down in there own end. At times he takes some very selfish penalties which come at the wrong times. It certainly doesn't come down to his offensive abilities it's his play away from the puck early on that kept him from getting drafted.

Why Yzerman passed over him is another story...

JL17 is offline  
Old
09-08-2012, 07:20 PM
  #489
Ratty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Rive Gauche
Posts: 5,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
It was his play away from the puck as well.... committing to his own end was tough often would fly the zone and leave his team a man down in there own end. At times he takes some very selfish penalties which come at the wrong times. It certainly doesn't come down to his offensive abilities it's his play away from the puck early on that kept him from getting drafted.

Why Yzerman passed over him is another story...
It appears like his issues can be addressed by good coaching and experience. It was not only Yzerman but, as DKH pointed out, Washington as well. It seems odd that a guy who has soft hands, can pass and shoot, and has correctable flaws, wasn't picked up earlier.

Ratty is offline  
Old
09-08-2012, 08:56 PM
  #490
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 27,662
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox7327 View Post
And Jared Knight dropped to a 6.5B. Jamie Arniel territory... /sadface!!!
you get to any Bruins games?

DKH is offline  
Old
09-08-2012, 09:46 PM
  #491
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Kinda describes Adam Oates, eh?
It does but it also describes Zach Hamil and probably hundreds of other top Junior scorers who never made an impact in the NHL.

This is not meant to knock Griffifth. he sounds like a kid who has a shot, and was a steal for the Bruins in the draft, but he is a long shot to ever play more than a bit role as an NHL player, and a miniscule shot of becoming a hall of fame player like Oats

JoeIsAStud is offline  
Old
09-09-2012, 09:10 AM
  #492
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co
 
Dom - OHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stratford, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,005
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
what is bizarre is Lightning GM Steve Yzerman was often in London to watch fellow Knights and linemate Namestikov play and the the Bolts had a boatload of picks and not only didn't use one on Seth but EVEN traded the pick to Boston to draft him.

The other wierd one to me atleast was the Capitals with double digit picks passing on him- Dale Hunter was the coach and certainly knows Griffith (like his adopted son) and you'd think have told GM George McPhee about him.

He certainly looks great, not even good, in the OHL and if he starts adding some jam and playing consistently in the high traffic areas, puts on some more muscle he could be in Boston in a few years
Hunter also promised Griffith before he joined the Knights he would do everything he possibly could to get him drafted. Not going to argue if it was deserved or not - but he gave him top line duties immediately, all the top quality minutes, on the PK (although he eventually turned into a quality PK'er) at the expense of players that deserved it more then him initially.

I was a big fan of Griffith's back in his Junior B days with the St Mary's Lincolns where he was an offensive threat. His game has come a long way. Kirk and I had some chats about him 2 seasons ago, and I don't want to speak for Kirk, but I think we were both surprised he wasn't drafted last year.

He's a smart hockey player, very bright. Can't remember if you had a chance to talk to him after game 7 in the finals? Julia was to busy wanting pictures with everyone lol. He soaks things up. If he can improve his skating (and it is possible) good coaching will bring him a long way.

As for Washington, had Hunter remained with the Caps, I'm pretty sure they would have selected him at some point.

Dom - OHL is offline  
Old
09-10-2012, 08:51 AM
  #493
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 27,662
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Hunter also promised Griffith before he joined the Knights he would do everything he possibly could to get him drafted. Not going to argue if it was deserved or not - but he gave him top line duties immediately, all the top quality minutes, on the PK (although he eventually turned into a quality PK'er) at the expense of players that deserved it more then him initially.

I was a big fan of Griffith's back in his Junior B days with the St Mary's Lincolns where he was an offensive threat. His game has come a long way. Kirk and I had some chats about him 2 seasons ago, and I don't want to speak for Kirk, but I think we were both surprised he wasn't drafted last year.

He's a smart hockey player, very bright. Can't remember if you had a chance to talk to him after game 7 in the finals? Julia was to busy wanting pictures with everyone lol. He soaks things up. If he can improve his skating (and it is possible) good coaching will bring him a long way.

As for Washington, had Hunter remained with the Caps, I'm pretty sure they would have selected him at some point.
I would have him watch tape after tape from 25 years ago to the 7th game of the 2011 SC Finals of Mark Recchi; I would tell him to live it, dream it, be it. Griffith has a lot of the same characteristics of Recchi to me, and if can develop permanent offensive zone edge and battle win at all costs mindset he's got a future in hockey

DKH is offline  
Old
09-10-2012, 09:53 AM
  #494
Schnurvel
Registered User
 
Schnurvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Växjö/Linköping
Country: Sweden
Posts: 257
vCash: 500
I'm guessing that most of you don't care at this point, but Carl Söderberg's Linköping played against Malmö (!) yesterday (the last pre-season game), first time ever that Söderberg has played against them. Fortunately, he didn't seem to mind, since he scored 1+3 and apparently played in "a league of his own" (according to Linköping's live twitterfeed) The game ended 9-5, disasterous performances by both teams, but hey, at least Carl did well! He's been our very best player so far this pre-season, with 11 points (5+6) in 7 games, doing even better than Mattias Weinhandl (2+5 in 8 games).

I really, really hope that he decides to try the NHL at some point, but he seems to love Linköping too much to leave. I'm happy that he likes my hometown and all, but at the same time I would love for him to go over there and show all the haters how amazing he really is.

Schnurvel is offline  
Old
09-10-2012, 10:06 AM
  #495
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 18,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnurvel View Post
I'm guessing that most of you don't care at this point, but Carl Söderberg's Linköping played against Malmö (!) yesterday (the last pre-season game), first time ever that Söderberg has played against them. Fortunately, he didn't seem to mind, since he scored 1+3 and apparently played in "a league of his own" (according to Linköping's live twitterfeed) The game ended 9-5, disasterous performances by both teams, but hey, at least Carl did well! He's been our very best player so far this pre-season, with 11 points (5+6) in 7 games, doing even better than Mattias Weinhandl (2+5 in 8 games).

I really, really hope that he decides to try the NHL at some point, but he seems to love Linköping too much to leave. I'm happy that he likes my hometown and all, but at the same time I would love for him to go over there and show all the haters how amazing he really is.
I really, really hope I get a unicorn for Christmas this year.

Artemis is offline  
Old
09-10-2012, 10:20 AM
  #496
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!
 
Roll 4 Lines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bear Country
Country: United States
Posts: 5,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I really, really hope I get a unicorn for Christmas this year.
I may be able to help you with that.

Roll 4 Lines is offline  
Old
09-10-2012, 10:59 AM
  #497
Shaun
beauty
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 21,331
vCash: 50
Johan Franzen didn't come over until later either just got to be patient.

Shaun is offline  
Old
09-10-2012, 11:48 AM
  #498
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL
 
VeddarRants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 12,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
he isn't it was in response to that poster who goes out of his way to bash Knight....read what he said. Knight is 210 so if Spooner is bigger according to poster than I put him at 215 tounge in cheek. Ryan I believe is between 180-185
Got ya.

Knight's body type is starting to remind me of Marty Lapointe...the kid is jacked. It would be great if he produces and plays like Lapointe circa 2000-2001. Can't wait to see this kid hit TD Garden ice.

VeddarRants is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 04:31 PM
  #499
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,161
vCash: 500
Alexander Khoklachev's KHL career has quietly gotten underway: http://en.khl.ru/players/15860/

Five games, one goal, no assists, -2, 2 PIM, playing 15:30 a night. The team doesn't score, in five games they're 3-1-1 with nine goals for, seven goals against. Tough to put up individual numbers when the team doesn't put the puck in the net but at least he's playing decent minutes and has one of the nine goals.

bruinsfan46 is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 06:58 PM
  #500
KnightofBoston
MVP
 
KnightofBoston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Easthampton, Ma
Country: United States
Posts: 12,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Alexander Khoklachev's KHL career has quietly gotten underway: http://en.khl.ru/players/15860/

Five games, one goal, no assists, -2, 2 PIM, playing 15:30 a night. The team doesn't score, in five games they're 3-1-1 with nine goals for, seven goals against. Tough to put up individual numbers when the team doesn't put the puck in the net but at least he's playing decent minutes and has one of the nine goals.
This will be good for his development I think, I don't think he was challenged enough in Windsor

KnightofBoston is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.