HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unofficial Rumor & Proposal Thread | Offseason Recon: Part V

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2012, 08:28 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastman View Post
Eberle

For

Staal
2nd rounder
um no

Old
05-28-2012, 10:27 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I dont think we've seen the last of Paajarvi or Hartikainen.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Yakupov
Hartikainen-Horcoff-Hemsky
Eager-Belanger-Jones
Lander/Pitlick

Dubinsky is not needed and his salary definitely is not needed
as long as Paajarvi strengthens up, he's a great project, he sure can skate. I am a fan of Hartikainen already an love that you don't have Smyth in your lineup cause he's not helping out the kids with his attitude.

I would like to see Hall translate to center though, have two future #1 lines rolling but I still see too many marshmallows in the top 9.

Old
05-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Ringo13

I think we have 2 top lines (if we draft Yakupov).
Hall Gagner Eberle
-played well together when RNH went down.
Hemsky RNH Yakupov
-potential to light it up.

We should attempt to acquire Moen IMO and run a third line of
Smyth Horcoff Moen

Leaving the fourth line as
Eager Belanger Jones

By somehow acquiring a couple of solid dmen we could be a playoff team, but I see our d as
Missing. Missing
Petry. Smid
Whitney. Schultz

Old
05-28-2012, 11:04 PM
rockinghockey

Not interested in Dubi with that contract.
Hemsky does not play on the 3rd line.
You don't play Eberle, RNH, Yak on one line, at least split them up with either of Eberle or Yak playing with Hall.

Old
05-29-2012, 12:15 AM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

IMO T.Pearson would be a great 2nd round pick-up (LW) for you guys. Fit nice on the left wing and isn't a marshmallow. Could pick up a nice D-man faller in the 15-20 spot for Hemsky for a 1st.

Hall-Gagner-Yakupov
Pearson-RNH-Eberle
Harti-Horcoff-Paajarvi
- -Jones

Old
05-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Magnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
RE: Late 1st, how about taking on a bad contract?

NYR have Dubinsky at $4.2M/yr for 3 more years.

This offseason and next offseason they have MDZ, Stralman, McDonagh, Sauer, AA, Hagelin and Stepan as RFA's. No other real big contracts will come off the book either at that time.

Dubinsky didn't really have a good year for his contract, but he was still physical, took FO's(but his game is suited to LW IIRC), played on the PK, PP and ES. Offensively he was pretty horrid, like Horcoff levels of bad. In addition to that, took too many penalties. But he has scored 20g the last 2 seasons before this, and gives us the type of LW we would want if he cuts down the stupid penalties and finds his scoring touch. He's also 26 and IIRC was a bit of a known leader on the NYR.
That's actually something I've been thinking of ever since I heard NYR might be looking to unload that contract. I think it would be a good idea actually. I don't think Dubinsky will ever be a big offensive threat, but he'd be good for about 40-50 pts a year. Which is what Gagner has been delivering, but unlike Gagner, he's big and plays tough.
I think something like this might work:

To Edmonton: Dubinksy, 2nd round pick
To Rangers: Belanger, LAs 3rd round pick

Dubinsky is a salary dump. Still a decent player, but a risk at his salary. The Rangers would still have to sweeten the pot for us to take him. This would also allow them to make a trade for Nash or sign RFAs. Belanger gives them a serviceable player for half the salary cap, and they would still have the option of buying him out or sending him to the minors if they didn't want his cap hit at all.

Of course, if we made this move, we would have to forget about making a play for a high-priced defenseman unless more salary was traded away.

Old
05-29-2012, 12:38 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafer97 View Post
IMO T.Pearson would be a great 2nd round pick-up (LW) for you guys. Fit nice on the left wing and isn't a marshmallow. Could pick up a nice D-man faller in the 15-20 spot for Hemsky for a 1st.

Hall-Gagner-Yakupov
Pearson-RNH-Eberle
Harti-Horcoff-Paajarvi
- -Jones
No a kid with some size and who is generally better would be a better fit.

Old
05-29-2012, 12:44 AM
Bergeron47

For a second I mis-read and thought Toby Peterson was mentioned. Then I resumed normal breathing.

Old
05-29-2012, 12:57 AM
jmoss45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
That's actually something I've been thinking of ever since I heard NYR might be looking to unload that contract. I think it would be a good idea actually. I don't think Dubinsky will ever be a big offensive threat, but he'd be good for about 40-50 pts a year. Which is what Gagner has been delivering, but unlike Gagner, he's big and plays tough.
I think something like this might work:

To Edmonton: Dubinksy, 2nd round pick
To Rangers: Belanger, LAs 3rd round pick

Dubinsky is a salary dump. Still a decent player, but a risk at his salary. The Rangers would still have to sweeten the pot for us to take him. This would also allow them to make a trade for Nash or sign RFAs. Belanger gives them a serviceable player for half the salary cap, and they would still have the option of buying him out or sending him to the minors if they didn't want his cap hit at all.

Of course, if we made this move, we would have to forget about making a play for a high-priced defenseman unless more salary was traded away.
That is perfect.. we can take on Dubinksy and lose Belanger. That would make the contract very workable with the current team. The only thing is I bet NY will try to move in for Nash, or for something more than Belanger.

Old
05-29-2012, 01:47 AM
MPStoEberletoHall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
No a kid with some size and who is generally better would be a better fit.
Tom Wilson

Old
05-29-2012, 02:23 AM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPStoEberletoHall View Post
Tom Wilson
Personally not high on Wilson.

Would rather take Samuelsson.

Old
05-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Bobblehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I'm wondering if Chicago isn't the team that we might acquire a pick from? A deal around Gagner for McNeill or Beach and their 1st maybe?
Thought I recall hearing at deadline that Tambellini was interested in Jimmy Hayes. Big winger, bangs bodies, supposedly skates well. Of course there would have to be more, like a first round pick or something.

Old
05-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post

Exact opposite for me. I don't mind Samuelsson and would not beef if we took him but I'd rather have Wilson.

Old
05-29-2012, 10:46 AM
MPStoEberletoHall

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post

Lander is our Samuelson. 3rd line center. What we need is a Lucic type guy in our top 6

Old
05-29-2012, 10:51 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPStoEberletoHall View Post
Lander is our Samuelson. 3rd line center. What we need is a Lucic type guy in our top 6
Lander to Samuelson?

Lander doesn't play with that edge that Samuelson does.

I don't see what's so great about Wilson. Seems like every big guy that can skate gets so much comparison to Lucic nowadays.

Old
05-29-2012, 02:54 PM
joestevens29

The Chicago Blackhawks signed defenceman Johnny Oduya to a three-year contract worth $10.125 million on Tuesday.

The deal is worth an average of $3.375 million per season.

I really don't understand this. Oduya was brutal in WPG this year, being called an ECHLer at times. This seems like a lot of money on a 3 year deal.

With that being said something has to give in CHI now. I can't see them keeping 4 guys over 3.3mil, Montador at 2.75mil and then Leddy who played quite well last year. Montador or Hjarmllson probably on the move IMO.

Old
05-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Skm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The Chicago Blackhawks signed defenceman Johnny Oduya to a three-year contract worth $10.125 million on Tuesday.

I really don't understand this. Oduya was brutal in WPG this year, being called an ECHLer at times. This seems like a lot of money on a 3 year deal.
Yeah from reading the opinion of Blackhawk fans I think he is a slightly better version (if at all) of Corey Potter. A lot of them are not too happy with this deal to say the least.

Old
05-29-2012, 03:03 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmingswerth View Post
Yeah from reading the opinion of Blackhawk fans I think he is a slightly better version (if at all) of Corey Potter. A lot of them are not too happy with this deal to say the least.
Bowman doesn't seem all that smart. This is a deal that happens on July 1st not a month before free agency. Not sure what the rush was at that price.

Old
05-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Part of the reason he got so much could be just the terrible free agent class we have this year.

Old
05-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Part of the reason he got so much could be just the terrible free agent class we have this year.
He's a bottom pairing defence man who will be making more than 3 million a year. That's a bad deal imo.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
05-29-2012, 03:31 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
He's a bottom pairing defence man who will be making more than 3 million a year. That's a bad deal imo.
I agree with Cloned. There might be very little in terms of elite ufa talent, but this isn't even an everyday top 4 d-man.

Old
05-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post

With that being said something has to give in CHI now. I can't see them keeping 4 guys over 3.3mil, Montador at 2.75mil and then Leddy who played quite well last year. Montador or Hjarmllson probably on the move IMO.
Hjalmersson (I know I didn't spell it right. ****. Haha) is someone that would be a good pick up as a cap dump.
I would look hard into it as management.

Old
05-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Skm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointteen View Post
Hjalmersson (I know I didn't spell it right. ****. Haha) is someone that would be a good pick up as a cap dump.
I would look hard into it as management.
Now that I think about it, he is very similar to N.Schultz. Pretty good positionally, not overly physical, almost negligible offence, $3.5M cap hit. He doesn't really bring anything that we don't already have in Smid and Schultz but could be worth considering if we are going to try the "defence by committee" route because he could probably play effectively on the second pairing, especially if Whitney can't get close to where he used to be.

Old
05-29-2012, 04:46 PM
Riverboat Danglers

All i know if we can do 3-4 minor moves I would put all my faith in Tambi

I feel that the 4 things that need to get done are

1.Draft Yakupov or Galynchuck Both kids are generational talents. I love the way Yakupov plays and his intensity but Galy would be a great 2nd line center with size. Either or I dont think you can go wrong

2. Sign Justin Schultz I feel that we need to give this guy the full meal deal treatment. The Oilers highlights video, nuge signed shaving kit, hall signed crutches, anything we can muster up. The kid will become a elite puck moving dman. Hes got a bit of an edge as well and would look damn good paired up with Schultz

3. Sign either Jackman or Allen We need a decent bottom pairing dman that can get Peckham out of the games and make us use Sutton as a 7th dman. I think Jackman would make a great pairing with Whitney

4. Get a third line 2 way winger with speed and intensity. These guys seem hard to come across. I wouldnt mind seeing Tootoo there. Ditto with Dubinsky. Maybe a clarkson or even Fehr if we could get our hands on one of those guys.

If tambi and CO can do 3 of these moves I will be extremely happy. I think this whole off season is gonna rest on him signing Schultz and a depth guy to help with tough minutes

Old
05-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmingswerth View Post
Now that I think about it, he is very similar to N.Schultz. Pretty good positionally, not overly physical, almost negligible offence, $3.5M cap hit. He doesn't really bring anything that we don't already have in Smid and Schultz could be worth considering if we are going to try the "defence by committee" route because he could probably play effectively on the second pairing, especially if Whitney can't get close to where he used to be.
my thoughts were that he is an upgrade on Peckham, Sutton and Potter.

I am getting to the point where I am tired of Whitney. I would strongly prefer a player who actually plays for most of the season. That being said Whitney is valuable when he plays. Brings something not many Oiler defenders do. Would be nothing but useful if he can stay in the lineup.
I'm not saying trade Whitney for Hammer, but a Hammer Schultz pairing would be pretty nice.
Hammer Schultz
Smid Petry
Whitney Sutton/Potter

A huge improvement.

Closed Thread