HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Thornton or Marleau

View Poll Results: Who would you rather keep on the team if we had to move one or the other?
Joe Thornton 99 86.09%
Patrick Marleau 16 13.91%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-17-2012, 07:57 PM
  #1
ilikebigjoe
Registered User
 
ilikebigjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 724
vCash: 500
Thornton or Marleau

In debating this with PF just recently, I'm curious to see what all you sharks fans on HF think and how you feel?

If we only kept one and not the other, who do you keep going forward? salary is equal so that should be a moot point.

Joe Thornton or Patrick Marleau?

I vote Thornton. I feel he is more dominating and makes players around him better. I think he means more to this team than marleau, and brings a more consistent game. Despite Marleau's advantage in speed, I do not think Joe is slow; and i would argue that marleau is just as one-dimensional as thornton. he shoots in stride, and at the crest on the jersey.

ilikebigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:52 PM
  #2
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin
 
Hatrick Marleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: With JR
Posts: 4,308
vCash: 500
Thornton

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:02 PM
  #3
Mrguy17
Registered User
 
Mrguy17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: East Bay California
Country: United States
Posts: 59
vCash: 500
damn it, wrong button, take one from Marleau and add one to Thornton. Even though it looks like it doesn't really matter...

That's sad

Mrguy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:33 PM
  #4
gonegonegone*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,338
vCash: 500
don't know how anyone could pick marleau.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:32 PM
  #5
Winky
Registered User
 
Winky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
don't know how anyone could pick marleau.
It's really a no brainer imo.

Winky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:42 PM
  #6
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys
 
MarleauApologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,299
vCash: 500
Thornton has turned into a better Two-Way player and is the best player on the team. Thornton has a certain talent level that Marleau just isn't quite at.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:46 PM
  #7
ilikebigjoe
Registered User
 
ilikebigjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 724
vCash: 500
case and point PF. thank you sharks fans.

ilikebigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:51 PM
  #8
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,725
vCash: 500
While I think Patty would step up huge if he were to become "the man" again, Thornton is a step above.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:54 PM
  #9
ilikebigjoe
Registered User
 
ilikebigjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
While I think Patty would step up huge if he were to become "the man" again, Thornton is a step above.
joe is a step above for sure, and patty never broke 60 when he was "the man" (pre-thornton trade) - and that was in an NHL that had higher point totals on a general level.

ilikebigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:56 PM
  #10
Bizz06
Registered Goon
 
Bizz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Jose
Posts: 2,455
vCash: 50
I'd rather keep Michal Handzus than Patrick Marleau....

Joe Thornton is literally the only reason the Sharks are not a perennial lottery pick team. Marleau is a 7M waste of cap space.


Last edited by Bizz06: 05-17-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Bizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:57 PM
  #11
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebigjoe View Post
case and point PF. thank you sharks fans.
Not an issue of comparison. This year JT was better. The issue is not who is better. The issue is what is better for the team attaining the cup. IMO, keeping JT as THE star of stars is not the answer if they ever hope to get a cup. Keeping him as a star among stars might work. No one is going to mimic his style of play for the team going forward. What is he going to teach the next generation? The window is closed and they need to figure the path for the next evolution of the team and what is best for that evolution. I can very easily see the Sharks following the Leafs if they keep JT as the Star of Stars. I am willing to listen to keeping or losing Marleau on the same basis, but you are using the WRONG criteria in individual skills rather than effect upon team play.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:04 PM
  #12
ilikebigjoe
Registered User
 
ilikebigjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Not an issue of comparison. This year JT was better. The issue is not who is better. The issue is what is better for the team attaining the cup. IMO, keeping JT as THE star of stars is not the answer if they ever hope to get a cup. Keeping him as a star among stars might work. No one is going to mimic his style of play for the team going forward. What is he going to teach the next generation? The window is closed and they need to figure the path for the next evolution of the team and what is best for that evolution. I can very easily see the Sharks following the Leafs if they keep JT as the Star of Stars. I am willing to listen to keeping or losing Marleau on the same basis, but you are using the WRONG criteria in individual skills rather than effect upon team play.
no, you are misunderstanding my main point. my point was that i think thornton is a better asset to this team going forward than marleau. hence if only keeping 1 of the 2, i would vote joe.

ilikebigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:13 PM
  #13
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebigjoe View Post
no, you are misunderstanding my main point. my point was that i think thornton is a better asset to this team going forward than marleau. hence if only keeping 1 of the 2, i would vote joe.
What is he going to teach the next generation? How to hold onto the puck and slow play? Please . . . Is he going to be leading them around the weightroom for hours after practice? Bicycling 30 miles each way to his daily workouts? Dedicating his offseason to hockey both in work level and learning new strategies? Skating hard each and every practice? Getting everyone in before self-imposed curfews during the season? Understanding the shortcomings in his game and evolving his game as the league changes as an example to others? (For others, the examples above are not Marleau, they are drawn from a pool of others, one being JT himself)

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:28 PM
  #14
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I can very easily see the Sharks following the Leafs if they keep JT as the Star of Stars.
Gimme a break, this is ridiculous. The leafs have nowhere near the team the Sharks do, and first and foremost in that account IS Joe Thornton, they never had a player of his caliber in the modern era.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:30 PM
  #15
Chubbs
Toasty
 
Chubbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 3,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
What is he going to teach the next generation? How to hold onto the puck and slow play? Please . . . Is he going to be leading them around the weightroom for hours after practice? Bicycling 30 miles each way to his daily workouts? Dedicating his offseason to hockey both in work level and learning new strategies? Skating hard each and every practice? Getting everyone in before self-imposed curfews during the season? Understanding the shortcomings in his game and evolving his game as the league changes as an example to others? (For others, the examples above are not Marleau, they are drawn from a pool of others, one being JT himself)
I don't even know what your point is or what relevancy it has to do with the topic.

Chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:36 PM
  #16
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,156
vCash: 567
Yeah, let's give everyone another excuse to hate on Marleau.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:37 PM
  #17
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
I don't even know what your point is or what relevancy it has to do with the topic.
The window is closed. What are they going to do for the next generation? What do they truly provide as vets?

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:41 PM
  #18
Chubbs
Toasty
 
Chubbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 3,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
The window is closed. What are they going to do for the next generation? What do they truly provide as vets?
Then neither player has the complete toolset you described, and if I had to pick one, it'd still be Thornton. But again, I still don't see how this is relevant to the topic.

Chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:43 PM
  #19
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,560
vCash: 500
I honestly can't decide. It's too situational, it depends on what the plan is, what the return is, who is brought in, who else is traded... And I like both players equally as Sharks.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:44 PM
  #20
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
The window is closed. What are they going to do for the next generation? What do they truly provide as vets?
Lol one fluke season and the window is closed. Amazing. Fluke seasons can happen both ways ...

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:44 PM
  #21
Led Zappa
Oy vey...
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Yeah, let's give everyone another excuse to hate on Marleau.
Just because some will use it as an excuse to bash him doesn't make it an unworthy discussion. Some try and paint it as if it's a toss up. If it were, the poll wouldn't be as lopsided as it is IMO. I'm pretty sure that when it was "who's your favorite player" the poll was a lot closer.

__________________

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:48 PM
  #22
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
Lol one fluke season and the window is closed. Amazing. Fluke seasons can happen both ways ...
I'll tell you what. I'll admit you were right and apologize if the Sharks get the shiny thingy in the next two years. Your part is an apology is an apology if they don't. No excuses. I am very certain after watching hockey likely for more years than you have been around and studying it for a number of years recently. The trends are that overwhelming and go beyond this past season.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:50 PM
  #23
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,156
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
Lol one fluke season and the window is closed. Amazing. Fluke seasons can happen both ways ...
I'm sorry, but did you watch this team this season? Because at no point did they look like a contender. even when they were winning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Just because some will use it as an excuse to bash him doesn't make it an unworthy discussion. Some try and paint it as if it's a toss up. If it were, the poll wouldn't be as lopsided as it is IMO. I'm pretty sure that when it was "who's your favorite player" the poll was a lot closer.
Who's the better player? Thornton, obviously. But if I had to bet, I'd say ~10% of the posts in this thread will end up as:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
I'd rather keep Michal Handzus than Patrick Marleau....

Joe Thornton is literally the only reason the Sharks are not a perennial lottery pick team. Marleau is a 7M waste of cap space.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:58 PM
  #24
sjshark91
Registered User
 
sjshark91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 23,591
vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
I'd rather keep Michal Handzus than Patrick Marleau....

Joe Thornton is literally the only reason the Sharks are not a perennial lottery pick team. Marleau is a 7M waste of cap space.
Wha wha wha WHAT THE ****???????????????

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:00 AM
  #25
WTFetus
Moderator
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
Wha wha wha WHAT THE ****???????????????
He'd rather have Wallin than Ehrhoff, even if both were at 2.6 million.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.