HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Who wants to buy some Handguns? (Off-Season Speculation Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2012, 05:35 PM
OrrNumber4

vCash: 500
I hope that DW waits until the coaching staff situation is 100% before any trades happen...

Old
05-18-2012, 05:54 PM
murdock1116

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I'm not sure how Nash came into the conversation then...

Pavelski is one of the most talented goal scorers on the team as well, and most clutch.

My point is, Pavelski is not a #3 center, he's a solid (and one of the best) #2 center or top line winger (in a crunch).

I've been advocating for awhile, if this team is really serious about rebuilding, make Couture the #1c (he has the talent) trade Marleau and Thornton, and put Pavelski where he belongs at #2. You can then replace all the wingers (except Havlat) with the young players brought in from those trades and FA. I wouldn't mind Nash on Couture's wing in that scenario as he'd be the only high paid player in the top-6 anyway. I just don't see putting him with Thornton at the cost of Pavelski as being all that productive.

Really, Parise would be ideal:

Parise - Couture - (new RW)
(new LW) - Pavelski - Havlat

Slot a high draft pick in there, or a young stud you get in return for Thornton/Marleau/Boyle and you've got a pretty good, very young, top-6. Hell throw Nash on that RW at that point, I don't care.
Yeah that's totally a fine idea if you feel like its time to rebuild/retool (whatever you want to call it) And maybe its the right way to go.

But my idea comes from the premise that we have atleast 1 more year to win the cup. I don't devalue the 3C position. I don't mean to slap Pavelski in the face by saying he's a 3C, I think the 3C is a more important position than the 1LW and 1RW.

But if we look at our team and what it will probably look like based on the moves people are calling for is something like this:

Marleau - Thornton - Pavelski
Clowe - Couture - Havlat
Galiardi - ? - ?
Winnik - Desjardins - Wingels

Boyle - Brad Stuart
Vlasic - Burns
Demers - Braun (maybe one of those guys traded for a Left hander)

Niemi

According to cap geek and with that setup that will leave us with 4.8 million in cap space for two players.

Lets pretend a guy like Selanne (put all your preconceptions aside, he is my example of a sniper wing who can get 25 goals with thornton) was willing to sign with us for 3.5 mil (500k paycut). Then we picked up a RW grinder for 1.3. A solid checker similar to Winnik

We could then field a line up of:

Marleau - Thornton - Selanne
Clowe - Couture - Havlat
Galiardi - Pavelski - Solid Grinder

That's the route I would like to go and imho is a great top 9 capable of winning a cup. (not to mention that we have the best defensive core we've had in a long time)

As opposed to another scenario in signing a 3C and leaving Pavelski on the 1RW. Lets pretend we got someone like Jarrett Stoll (who is the only guy i might be ok with for this scenario) at 3.5 mil and that same RW grinder.

Marleau - Thornton - Pavelski
Clowe - Couture - Havlat
Galiardi - Stoll - Solid Grinder.

My problem with this scenario is that Stoll isn't as good as Pavelski and there is no telling if that 3rd line gains chemistry and fits/understands our current system.

Where as in scenario 1 all we are asking of the RW is to bury the passes that Thornton will get you. They don't need to worry about defense, they don't need to worry about PP or PK.

Old
05-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Really, Parise would be ideal:

Parise - Couture - (new RW)
(new LW) - Pavelski - Havlat
Keep Marleau, don't get Nash, then run:

Parise - Marleau - Havlat
(new LW) - Couture - Pavelski

Old
05-18-2012, 05:58 PM
murdock1116

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock1116 View Post
My problem with this scenario is that Stoll isn't as good as Pavelski and there is no telling if that 3rd line gains chemistry and fits/understands our current system.

Where as in scenario 1 all we are asking of the RW is to bury the passes that Thornton will get you. They don't need to worry about defense, they don't need to worry about PP or PK.
Sorry about my long post. Also getting Pavelski on the third line and getting a fast winger also helps our top line speed.

But that being said I'm sure DW is planning on moving Clowe/Marleau/Boyle. One of those guys I'm sure won't be on the team next year.

Old
05-18-2012, 06:17 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
can't see Parise going anywhere after NJ's run this year and we'd be pretty low on his list if he did decide to leave.

Old
05-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
can't see Parise going anywhere after NJ's run this year and we'd be pretty low on his list if he did decide to leave.
New Jersey may not be able to afford paying him with their financial issues.

Old
05-18-2012, 06:38 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Also rumor is he's highly pissed off about the Kovalchuk thing.

Old
05-18-2012, 06:42 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:

Hmm, interesting. Where'd you hear that?

Old
05-18-2012, 06:46 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Hmm, interesting. Where'd you hear that?
I want to say I saw several mentions along this line when the trade went down. I think TSN even mentioned it in one of their articles, where they indicated something to the effect that they were told that by signing Kovy the Devils basically understood that Parise would not like it and that he would not consider returning.

Old
05-18-2012, 06:49 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Brodeur's $5 million contract is up after this year. He will either retire freeing up $5 million or re-sign at a much lower rate. Their money problems can't be so bad that they'd have to let Parise go. Parise already makes $6 million per year. At most it's an $8 million cap hit (maybe $10 mil in the first year with bonuses).

I don't believe that their financial troubles are as bad as you're implying. NJ spent more money this season than we did. That doesn't sound like a team that's in trouble.

Old
05-18-2012, 06:52 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Brodeur's $5 million contract is up after this year. He will either retire freeing up $5 million or re-sign at a much lower rate. Their money problems can't be so bad that they'd have to let Parise go. Parise already makes $6 million per year. At most it's an $8 million cap hit (maybe $10 mil in the first year with bonuses).

I don't believe that their financial troubles are as bad as you're implying. NJ spent more money this season than we did. That doesn't sound like a team that's in trouble.
It may be and it may not be but it wouldn't come out of the blue if they felt the need to shed some salary.

Old
05-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Thorntonfan97
Josť Bautista-20 HR

Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
I really want us to sign David Jones

Old
05-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Eighth Fret

If he doesn't stay in NJ, Parise will likely be a Wing next year.

Old
05-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

What do you guys think of this lineup:

I agree with Murdock. As long as we have the center depth we should use it to have 3 scoring lines. I would sign Brad Boyes, David Jones, and Brad Stuart. I would trade Murray and Niemi to Florida for Versteeg. I would trade Boyle to Nashville for Austin Watson and a 2nd. I would resign Winnik and Galiardi. I would trade Clowe to Toronto for Gunnarson. Lastly, I would trade Handzus anywhere for a 7th.

Lines
Marleau Thornton Versteeg
Havlat Couture Boyes
Galiardi Pavelski Jones
Winnik Desjardin Wingels

Burns Gunnarson
Demers Vlasic
Braun Stuart

Stalock
Greiss

Old
05-18-2012, 07:01 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorntonfan97 View Post
I really want us to sign David Jones
Me too.

Old
05-18-2012, 07:01 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
It may be and it may not be but it wouldn't come out of the blue if they felt the need to shed some salary.
They do have a lot already tied up in Kovalchuk.. Unless they have some issues with committing more long term dollars , I don't see why they'd let him walk. They have about $9 million tied into just Brodeur and Bryce Salvador coming off the books.

Old
05-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
What do you guys think of this lineup:

I agree with Murdock. As long as we have the center depth we should use it to have 3 scoring lines. I would sign Brad Boyes, David Jones, and Brad Stuart. I would trade Murray and Niemi to Florida for Versteeg. I would trade Boyle to Nashville for Austin Watson and a 2nd. I would resign Winnik and Galiardi. I would trade Clowe to Toronto for Gunnarson. Lastly, I would trade Handzus anywhere for a 7th.

Lines
Marleau Thornton Versteeg
Havlat Couture Boyes
Galiardi Pavelski Jones
Winnik Desjardin Wingels

Burns Gunnarson
Demers Vlasic
Braun Stuart

Stalock
Greiss
That line up isn't any better than what they iced last year. Gunnarson is a major downgrade from Boyle and same for Boyes on the 2nd line. Jones would be a good pick up though. The Panthers have no need for Niemi or Murray and I'm not a big fan of Versteeg.

Old
05-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
That line up isn't any better than what they iced last year. Gunnarson is a major downgrade from Boyle and same for Boyes on the 2nd line. Jones would be a good pick up though. The Panthers have no need for Niemi or Murray and I'm not a big fan of Versteeg.
Gunnarson is a very good dman. Boyes is a guy I would take a chance on. The 3rd and 4th lines would be way better than last year. The team becomes faster too. Tallon might want Niemi because he would better than Clemmensen and Theodore. He also had Niemi in Chicago. Murray would be a nice dman for them.

Old
05-18-2012, 07:32 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
Gunnarson is a very good dman. Boyes is a guy I would take a chance on. The 3rd and 4th lines would be way better than last year. The team becomes faster too. Tallon might want Niemi because he would better than Clemmensen and Theodore. He also had Niemi in Chicago. Murray would be a nice dman for them.
Gunnarson isn't Boyle though.

Old
05-18-2012, 07:40 PM
murdock1116

Versteeg is great, but I don't know why the Panthers would trade him seeing as how they just signed him last summer and were an overtime goal away from beating the devils. Panthers are in a good spot.

Brad Boyes is the type of player I'm talking about in signing him for 3mil and putting him next to Thornton. I'm sure we could get 25 goals outta him with that.

That being said I think he's really slow, or slower, so not sure he is the right guy to roll the dice on.

Old
05-18-2012, 08:01 PM
KirbyDots

In my opinion what it comes down to is adding 2 forwards to replace the offense we lost when we traded Seto and Heatley. Sure we got Havlat back but most of us were calling for DW to add a tweener before those two were traded, if I remember right many of us wanted an upgrade to Wellwood. The Sharks seemed to work more effectively with a 3 line attack, Pavelski was good on the top line but he plays better as a center and our depth in that position is a strength. We need two more wings to be effective, right now we have Marleau, Clowe, Havlat, and Galiardi/Wingels. If Clowe or Marleau are replaced you would still need two others in addition to the replacement. This forward group should be built around Thornton, Couture, Pavelski down the middle with fast wingers making up for that groups obvious speed deficiency. Two fast tweeners could be added for a balanced attack or if Clowe is traded I would hope its to make room for an elite forward freeagent as the team should focus on retaining picks with a tweener and grinder added for a slightly more top heavy line up similar to what we had before the Burns trade.

Last edited by KirbyDots: 05-18-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old
05-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock1116 View Post
Versteeg is great, but I don't know why the Panthers would trade him seeing as how they just signed him last summer and were an overtime goal away from beating the devils. Panthers are in a good spot.

Brad Boyes is the type of player I'm talking about in signing him for 3mil and putting him next to Thornton. I'm sure we could get 25 goals outta him with that.

That being said I think he's really slow, or slower, so not sure he is the right guy to roll the dice on.
Switch Boyes with Wellwood. I think Havlat Couture Wellwood would be a pretty crafty line.

Old
05-18-2012, 08:23 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Oh so he wants a hundred million dollars ... pass

Old
05-18-2012, 08:28 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
I hope that DW waits until the coaching staff situation is 100% before any trades happen...
This, and I want them to be straight with themselves about their plan for the team.

Are they planning on trying to be a contender next season? Are they going to do another mini-retool? Are they going to start a rebuild without completely blowing up the team? I just want to know what the team's plans are.

If they don't think we're going to be a legitimate contender, you sell a couple of your oldest players that don't fit (Boyle, JT) for some kids and you do the best you can next season while knowing that you have a weaker team. I'd much rather see this than a knee-jerk reaction trade and a couple of stupid deadline deals.

Old
05-18-2012, 08:33 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighth Fret View Post
If he doesn't stay in NJ, Parise will likely be a Wing next year.
This might be tongue-in-cheek, but why does everyone think all the free agents will go to Detroit (especially Suter)? Suburban Michigan isn't that great, and the team has a grimmer future than the Sharks right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
I hope it doesn't take that long to fix this whole coaching situation.

Closed Thread