HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who wants to buy some Handguns? (Off-Season Speculation Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2012, 03:09 PM
WantonAbandon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks for Cup View Post
Trading JT is horrible unless you are 100% blowing up the team and re-building it. Couture and Pavelski both have shown they aren't ready to play against top defensive pairings. If you are doing this then you may as well trade Havlat too...
Pavs is the Sharks top shutdown forward and can score 25 to 30 goals with a cap hit of 4 million. I would not dismiss him so lightly. If you are referring to his inability to score against the Blues, his situation is similar to Ovechkin in that he is over used. Its easy to defend when the defenders know where the puck is going.

As for your fire Todd quote... unless there is a clear upgrade available not giving McLellan a chance to adapt would be a bad move in the short and long term.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:09 PM
irregardless
Registered Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
When they go for a vet AC, it usually means that the HC is on thin ice.
He says a 'lengthy NHL career' though, so I don't think he means a vet AC, more like a vet player. The next paragraph:

Quote:
29. Last week, we mentioned Bryan Marchment as a possible contender. Mike Ricci might be another as both already work for the organization. Would McLellan, though, want to go "off the board" and recruit a former Red Wing?
The two named are pretty obvious options. No idea who this former RW would be though.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:11 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurious View Post
He says a 'lengthy NHL career' though, so I don't think he means a vet AC, more like a vet player. The next paragraph:

The two named are pretty obvious options. No idea who this former RW would be though.
I'm unsure as to whether "lengthy NHL career" means like NHL player or ex-coach.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:13 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
JT is finding himself in the same place as Sundin was almost a decade ago. Too good to miss the playoffs, not good enough to do anything once there. It put them in the position of never getting a high enough pick to get elite talent.

I don't think the Sharks want to go without playoffs, but if they don't do without at some point, it will just delay the eventual rebuild. Shifting the deck chairs on a retooling won't do it either. IMO, it doesn't matter either way as their recent drafting hasn't been good enough to get enough of the high-end complementary pieces which need to precede elite picks. Couture is the only one. If they want to make it quick, they have to fix drafting/development first.

I see DW going in the Philly direction which is reactionary. Increased trading activity to find the perfect mix. Probably misses out along the way as they dump guys in lateral to negative moves and never getting that silver thingy. The other fix is to pull in the horns in the front office, a lot more scalpel, no more meat cleaver.
Michalek isn't that far removed from Couture.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:14 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:

Marchment doesn't seem obvious to me. Has he coached at any level before?

Old
irregardless
Registered Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I'm unsure as to whether "lengthy NHL career" means like NHL player or ex-coach.
Yeah, I had to reread it and I'm still not completely sure. The stuff about Marchment, Ricci, a former Red Wing made me think he meant player even though my first assumption was ex-coach.

Old
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Its pretty obvious TMac is now on the hot seat. Its going to be an interesting summer.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:16 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I see a few options here, and while I tend to jump from one to the other a bit, I am not really advocating one 'big picture' over the other just yet, just the details of each.

1) Sharks fire McLellan, get a new coach. In this scenario I see switching out our slowest players for faster players and getting a solid 'net' improvement in speed being enough of a change, but for most part going with the same roster. This might buy us a year, or two, before a rebuild.

2) Sharks don't fire McLellan, get new assistants. Frankly I doubt this will be enough as while it may fix ancillary issues like the PK, it won't fix basic strategy issues like overcoming the trap. The Sharks got spanked by a team that frankly was not that good playing behind a system that was easily exploited by a competent coach. McLellan did not seem to be able to come up with a strategy to counteract the Blues, he won 1 game out of 9, that's just miserable. In this scenario frankly I'm leaning towards trading at least one 'star' player at least and getting some value to try and curb a full rebuild in a few years.

3) Sharks don't fire McLellan, do not get new assistants. You might as well get value for the aging players on expiring contracts because this team is hosed.
Your two predictions in number one are not mutually exclusive. The Sharks have been trying to get faster and will likely continue to do so if McLellan is back. Speed would benefit McLellan greatly.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Its pretty obvious TMac is now on the hot seat. Its going to be an interesting summer.
As he should be, but (if the reports are accurate) it only took 3 days to decide to keep him. That's 3 days for DW to talk to him, talk to the owners and give him the news. That's not really a sign that they've lost faith in him to right the ship.

Well, that was another in a long series of regrettable life choices
Old
05-15-2012, 03:23 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Michalek isn't that far removed from Couture.
Still too far. He will be over 30 before the Sharks rebuild even if it is a mini-rebuild. I was figuring 05 and up. Braun could surprise, but he would have to become a solid 3/4 to be considered a complementary piece. Complementary means the #4-#10 skater positions, preferably #4-#8. Vlasic barely qualifies.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:27 PM
SJeasy

Quote:

We'll see if he means AC, HC or player. If it is AC or HC, then yes thin ice.

Former RW's would include Shanny (Why would he leave NY?), Chelios, Hull (unlikely), Maltby, Draper, Larionov, Schneider.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
When they go for a vet AC, it usually means that the HC is on thin ice.
Are they adding a vet AC or a vet player? The ref says long career which makes me think Ricci or Marchmant.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Iron Chef

Heres a question. Do you guys think that McGinn would tell the Avs that he'd prefer to go back to San Jose? Or do you think the way things went down rubbed him the wrong way and hes going to go for it with a contract in Colorado?

Old
05-15-2012, 03:34 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
We'll see if he means AC, HC or player. If it is AC or HC, then yes thin ice.

Former RW's would include Shanny (Why would he leave NY?), Chelios, Hull (unlikely), Maltby, Draper, Larionov, Schneider.
Is Lidstrom coming back again? That would be interesting heh.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:35 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Heres a question. Do you guys think that McGinn would tell the Avs that he'd prefer to go back to San Jose? Or do you think the way things went down rubbed him the wrong way and hes going to go for it with a contract in Colorado?
Why would McGinn want back in SJ? He's got a sweet set-up on a team that's his own age and whose window is just opening, and he gets to be fed pucks by Paul freakin' Stastny. Why would he want to go back to a team that misused him, traded him away while he was on a plane, and whose window is closing fast?

Quote:

Old
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

Quote:
McLellan is coming back. Assistants' jobs are at stake.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html
****!!!!!! Well, gotta hope that both assistants are toast and that DW brings in some competent coaches. Of course I want Havi (Assuming he's not scooped up for a HC job somewhere) and Havi told that he's the heir-apparent to take over this team if TMac is canned next year (since another disappointing season will surely mean TMac is gone), as to the other AC, I'm fine with a newcomer to coaching like Marchment. Havi to coach the special teams and forwards, Marchment to coach the defense (With input from Havi, who coached also coached the D during the Hawks Cup Run).

I guess it's better than nothing, but God help us if it's exactly the same coaching staff as last season.

Old
murdock1116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Maybe that was the plan all along?

Would be nice

Old
05-15-2012, 03:36 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Still too far. He will be over 30 before the Sharks rebuild even if it is a mini-rebuild. I was figuring 05 and up. Braun could surprise, but he would have to become a solid 3/4 to be considered a complementary piece. Complementary means the #4-#10 skater positions, preferably #4-#8. Vlasic barely qualifies.
Ok how about Devin Setegouchi

I really don't think the Sharks have focused on drafting top talent since 2007, so I'm not sure how meaningful your analysis is.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
****!!!!!! Well, gotta hope that both assistants are toast and that DW brings in some competent coaches. Of course I want Havi (Assuming he's not scooped up for a HC job somewhere) and Havi told that he's the heir-apparent to take over this team if TMac is canned next year (since another disappointing season will surely mean TMac is gone), as to the other AC, I'm fine with a newcomer to coaching like Marchment. Havi to coach the special teams and forwards, Marchment to coach the defense (With input from Havi, who coached also coached the D during the Hawks Cup Run).

I guess it's better than nothing, but God help us if it's exactly the same coaching staff as last season.
Yeah, tell the new AC that if the team fails he gets the HC job. Nothing can go wrong there

Old
05-15-2012, 03:38 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Why would McGinn want back in SJ? He's got a sweet set-up on a team that's his own age and whose window is just opening, and he gets to be fed pucks by Paul freakin' Stastny. Why would he want to go back to a team that misused him, traded him away while he was on a plane, and whose window is closing fast?

Uhhhh there appears to be something not quite right with the Avs org. Seems dysfunctional to me.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:39 PM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Yeah, tell the new AC that if the team fails he gets the HC job. Nothing can go wrong there
Wishful thinking, I know.

Old
MarleauApologist
#FireDougWilson

Quote:
Pavs is the Sharks top shutdown forward and can score 25 to 30 goals with a cap hit of 4 million. I would not dismiss him so lightly. If you are referring to his inability to score against the Blues, his situation is similar to Ovechkin in that he is over used. Its easy to defend when the defenders know where the puck is going.

As for your fire Todd quote... unless there is a clear upgrade available not giving McLellan a chance to adapt would be a bad move in the short and long term.
McLellan refuses to adapt. The Blues were not a great team, but they beat us because T-Mac refused to change the team playstyle. The past 4 Series' we have lost under McLellan, we've lost because he showed an inability to change the style of play. If he did, we might have success. Were not losing because we choke, were losing because the other teams are playing better, and that's cause McLellan is a ****** coach. Dale Hunter would be great tbh.

Old
SJeasy

Quote:
Yeah, but I have a feeling that he is heading across the pond when his career ends. He has made more than enough for a comfortable retirement. I was picking primarily on the names that didn't make so much as players. Guys who need the $. It is very unlikely that the Sharks could grab a Blake or Shanny just because of the pay differential unless it was for an HC or GM job. The league does pay those vets that they hire. The pay for players in the 90s was not so good unless they were at the very, very top of the food chain.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Iron Chef

Quote:

You never know. He may miss going out to Drake concerts with Couture enough to put that behind him

Old
05-15-2012, 03:43 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Uhhhh there appears to be something not quite right with the Avs org. Seems dysfunctional to me.
Really? How so?

From where I see it, it's a good time to be an Avs fan. Duchene, Stastny, Landeskog, Johnson, Downie, Mueller, McGinn, Siemens, Elliot, Barrie, and Varlamov, all under 26. For references' sake, we have Couture, Wingels, Demers, Galiardi, Vlasic, and Desjardins in the same age group.

Closed Thread