HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Who wants to buy some Handguns? (Off-Season Speculation Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
So why is everyone putting Jones on their rosters? Have there been any rumors that this is a strong possibility a la Stuart, or is this just wishful thinking? Also, not to familiar with him as a player, can someone describe his game?
Quote:
It was unclear before, but no longer: the Avalanche is interested in re-signing David Jones.
Jones’ agent, Ross Gurney, said preliminary discussions on a new contract have taken place, and that the Avalanche has indicated it wants Jones back.

Does this mean he’s coming back with the Avs? Of course not. Maybe the sides won’t agree on the numbers. The lure of the open market is always strong.
But for the Avs to express interest in one of their own potential unrestricted free agents is significant. Very often, they’ve simply let their UFAs go without so much as a word.

Gurney, incidentally, says Jones wants to come back to the Avs.
Sorry TheJuxtaposer I know you want to see a former Avs colony develop in San Jose , but as of right now it looks like Jones is close to staying in Denver.

Old
06-02-2012, 06:46 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
So why is everyone putting Jones on their rosters? Have there been any rumors that this is a strong possibility a la Stuart, or is this just wishful thinking? Also, not to familiar with him as a player, can someone describe his game?
Wishful thinking. The reason I think he's ideal is he's an above average skater, right-handed, and shown the ability to put up good goal totals when playing with a great playmaker (Stastny). The biggest gripe I have with this past season is that we never replaced Seto. Jones would be a good replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Sorry TheJuxtaposer I know you want to see a former Avs colony develop in San Jose , but as of right now it looks like Jones is close to staying in Denver.
Damnit! I was hoping that getting all those Avs players would someday result in Stastny, Duchene, Landeskog, O'Reilly, and Johnson all signing with the Sharks.

Out of curiosity, I know you guys have a lot of RFAs this summer. What kind of cap hit are you expecting for them?

Old
06-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Wishful thinking. The reason I think he's ideal is he's an above average skater, right-handed, and shown the ability to put up good goal totals when playing with a great playmaker (Stastny). The biggest gripe I have with this past season is that we never replaced Seto. Jones would be a good replacement.

Damnit! I was hoping that getting all those Avs players would someday result in Stastny, Duchene, Landeskog, O'Reilly, and Johnson all signing with the Sharks.

Out of curiosity, I know you guys have a lot of RFAs this summer. What kind of cap hit are you expecting for them?
It's tough to say because of the possible lenght of the contracts. Duchene could anywhere from 4 to 5 mil (it depends on term), O'Reilly should be at 4mil (again it depends on term), EJ close to 5mil, Downie around 2.1mil (maybe more, it depends how many of his UFA years will be covered by the new contract), Mueller will get a QO on a one year deal probably, McGinn around 2mil, Olver around 1.2mil and Wilson will get a QO (he's the most likely guy to be trade bait).

I think that both O'Reilly and Duchene will be signed to short term deals.

Old
06-02-2012, 06:58 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post

Done. I have posted a video.
What a lazy player.

Sweet pass from Bernier though. True hockey player.

Old
06-02-2012, 07:03 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
What a lazy player.

I know. Hamhuis sure took a long time to get back on defense.

Old
06-02-2012, 07:19 PM
McLovin25
Eberle=Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
There are so many issues with this, IMO, I don't know where to start.

Stuart is probably going to get at least $3 mil. Carle is probably going to get at least $3.5, more likely $4 mil plus. I have no idea why you would want to put $7 mil in the bottom pairing. Also, it's highly unlikely that Carle is going to sign with the Sharks to play bottom pairing. I honestly would be surprised if he was willing to sign with the Sharks at all after the way DW shipped him out. But in the end, if you get Carle somehow, you don't get Stuart as well. And presumably, if you get Carle, you are shipping Boyle out. Also, I'm pretty sure Carle plays right-side, doesn't he? And lastly, he's probably going to sign in Minnesota (my best guess).

Next, if the Sharks ship out Niemi, why spend another $3 mil or so in Vokoun? Vokoun took a major discount contract, and I don't think he's going to sign for a million again. Besides, if they move Niemi, it's to play Stalock or Sexsmith behind Greiss.

Next, Tootoo is probably re-signing in Nashville. If not there, you have to think he's going north to Canada. A team like Edmonton would LOVE to have guy like Tootoo. Winnipeg might also be a destination.

Next, Niemi is a decent starter. But you aren't getting a first for him. You're probably looking a 3rd and maybe a decent grade B or C prospect.

Lastly, I thought most TO fans thought that Kulimen for Clowe straight up was a no go, but you expect to get Colbourne too?
Carle plays Left Side. The only reason he is there is because i was trying to adress the lack of Left PMD, if you have a better option insert him. And he's 3rd pairing yes, but he's playing PP minutes as well.

Ill give you Tootoo. he'll likely sign in Northern Canada, he's just a player id love to have.

Niemi could get Detriots 1st from Tampa, im quite certain of it. Tampa has known goalie issues, Niemi isn't old, has a reasonable contract, has won a cup, and its rumoured Yzerman collected the picks to trade for a goalie. For arguements sake, lets say Tampa gives up 2nd + prospect.

You trade Niemi and sign Vokoun because of contracts. Niemi has 3 years left. Youd sign Vokoun to a 1 year deal. You trade Niemi while you can. Its unlikely a team will need a goalie next year, that has tons of picks to trade. You give Stalock time to prove he's ready, and time for Sexsmith to prove he's not a one year wonder.

Toronto fans overvalue their players. Thats known. I might be overvaluing Clowe, but any leaf fan that wouldnt do Clowe for Kulemin is crazy.

Old
06-02-2012, 08:01 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
It's tough to say because of the possible lenght of the contracts. Duchene could anywhere from 4 to 5 mil (it depends on term), O'Reilly should be at 4mil (again it depends on term), EJ close to 5mil, Downie around 2.1mil (maybe more, it depends how many of his UFA years will be covered by the new contract), Mueller will get a QO on a one year deal probably, McGinn around 2mil, Olver around 1.2mil and Wilson will get a QO (he's the most likely guy to be trade bait).

I think that both O'Reilly and Duchene will be signed to short term deals.
Alrighty, thanks for that. What are you expecting from Mueller?

Quote:
What a lazy player.

Funny, you call Marleau lazy and then praise Bernier in the same post.

Old
06-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Bizz06
Registered Goon

Quote:
What a lazy player.

too bad he doesn't want to play at that level anymore. Marleau's problems started when the C was taken away.

on a semi-related note, I went to Ike's for lunch this afternoon and noticed they were still selling the Patrick Marleau sandwich, I thought it was only available from October to March.

Old
06-02-2012, 08:49 PM
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

Quote:
Basically, Pavelski, Thornton, and Marleau kick ass. Murray SUUUUUCKS, and Vlasic and Burns need to be put back together. I may sound like a broken record, but those two absolutely kicked ASS when they were together at the beginning of last season. They had two of the best raw Corsi's in the entire league, despite playing pretty hard minutes.

It didn't really tell me anything I didn't know about the Sharks, but it was a great read in regards to other teams/players.
Vlasic and Burns needed to be separated or else our other 2 pairings would have been picked apart. Our other 4 were routinely poor defensively. Besides Boyle on the power play there wasn't much value out of the other guys. I'd love to get a Stuart, or someone comparable, to put with Boyle (assuming we keep him) and bring Burns/Vlasic back together.

The fact that the list seemed to perfectly describe the Sharks players made me trust it more for the other teams.

Old
06-02-2012, 08:56 PM
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
too bad he doesn't want to play at that level anymore. Marleau's problems started when the C was taken away.
I disagree strongly. He's still been a high quality player since then and has been putting as much effort in as ever. He's just not a fiery player. When I played competitive sports I wasn't "fiery" either, and some took it for not caring or trying, but there are different ways to approach sports. His, and mine, are the calm and collected approach. That mental approach to sports always seems to be discounted by the excitable players, but it makes it no less effective or viable.

Marleau may not be the most flashy, but when he's still in the correct position, hunting someone down on the backcheck instead of trying to Douglas Murray someone and getting out of position, I'm always happy about it.

Old
06-02-2012, 09:32 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnarkAttack View Post
Vlasic and Burns needed to be separated or else our other 2 pairings would have been picked apart. Our other 4 were routinely poor defensively. Besides Boyle on the power play there wasn't much value out of the other guys. I'd love to get a Stuart, or someone comparable, to put with Boyle (assuming we keep him) and bring Burns/Vlasic back together.

The fact that the list seemed to perfectly describe the Sharks players made me trust it more for the other teams.
Boyle was injured and playing poorly. Vlasic was swapped to play with him as a bandaid.

But you're right, we do need a legit #4 guy. It's been a problem for a while. Personally, I still think Jason Demers can be that guy. But we've learned our lesson about counting on an unproven player to play a certain role. Stuart could be that guy. Demers could be that guy if we swap out Boyle for Suter.

Quote:
I disagree strongly. He's still been a high quality player since then and has been putting as much effort in as ever. He's just not a fiery player. When I played competitive sports I wasn't "fiery" either, and some took it for not caring or trying, but there are different ways to approach sports. His, and mine, are the calm and collected approach. That mental approach to sports always seems to be discounted by the excitable players, but it makes it no less effective or viable.

Marleau may not be the most flashy, but when he's still in the correct position, hunting someone down on the backcheck instead of trying to Douglas Murray someone and getting out of position, I'm always happy about it.
There's no point in arguing about Marleau with Bizz. Don't bother.

Old
06-02-2012, 09:38 PM
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

Quote:
Boyle was injured and playing poorly. Vlasic was swapped to play with him as a bandaid.

But you're right, we do need a legit #4 guy. It's been a problem for a while. Personally, I still think Jason Demers can be that guy. But we've learned our lesson about counting on an unproven player to play a certain role. Stuart could be that guy. Demers could be that guy if we swap out Boyle for Suter.

There's no point in arguing about Marleau with Bizz. Don't bother.

Demers, even Braun, would be fine with Suter. If we could sign Suter, then swap out Boyle/Murray for picks, prospects, and speedy forwards everything would be fine. Demers CAN play #4, but that's why his season was so frustrating.

K. Done. Don't read enough here to know who hates who.

Old
06-02-2012, 09:41 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

Quote:
Demers, even Braun, would be fine with Suter. If we could sign Suter, then swap out Boyle/Murray for picks, prospects, and speedy forwards everything would be fine. Demers CAN play #4, but that's why his season was so frustrating.
I think that's what I'm most concerned about going into next season. Can Demers bounce back? Can he be a reliable option now and in the future? This board is so fickle, this time last year Demers was as untouchable as Couture and Vlasic could be traded for Blake Comeau.

Old
06-02-2012, 09:47 PM
sjshark91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
I know. Hamhuis sure took a long time to get back on defense.
Probably had a headache.

Old
06-02-2012, 09:52 PM
BrianSmith
Chokers

Quote:

on a semi-related note, I went to Ike's for lunch this afternoon and noticed they were still selling the Patrick Marleau sandwich, I thought it was only available from October to March.
Wrong... but I see I'm not the only one who picked up on this statement. That is just absolutely wrong. The amount of Patty hate on here is laughable sometimes.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:57 PM
Bizz06
Registered Goon

his increase in goals and points in the regular season is soley attributed to being bumped up to Thornton's line, period. his work ethic has dropped off significantly.

Old
06-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
his increase in goals and points in the regular season is soley attributed to being bumped up to Thornton's line, period. his work ethic has dropped off significantly.
lol yeah sure

Old
06-02-2012, 11:30 PM
sjshark91

Hopefully in Columbus he gets a treadmill and a diet.

Old
06-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Probably had a headache.
Yeah. Kyle Mclaren hits very hard.

Old
06-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Yeah ok sure.

Old
06-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Hopefully in Columbus he gets a treadmill and a diet.
He will only get faster if he did that. Probably a good idea for Murray.

Old
06-03-2012, 03:57 AM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloweForbidzYou View Post
Carle plays Left Side. The only reason he is there is because i was trying to adress the lack of Left PMD, if you have a better option insert him. And he's 3rd pairing yes, but he's playing PP minutes as well.
You say that to the person who didn't want to trade Carle for Boyle?

I would take Carle back in a heartbeat, as I think he's turned into an extremely good 2-way defenseman who is MUCH better defensively than was when he left the Sharks. I simply don't think he will come back to the Sharks.

I think he is going to sign in Minnesota, a team that has a need and cap space for a player like him, where his wife is from, and where he lives and trains in the off-season.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:36 AM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
Quote:
I agree wholeheartedly. It's like how Doug Murray's emergence is due to the brilliance of Christian Ehrhoff. Murray really upped his physicality after watching Ehrhoff steamroll guys. I also think Niklas Lidstrom is terribly overrated. The way he effortlessly breaks up plays. What a lazy slacker. I wish he put more effort into his play. If Lidstrom didn't have Rafalski carry him, Lidstrom would be a borderline ECHL player.

Trolling is fun. I see why Bizz loves doing it.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:59 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Alrighty, thanks for that. What are you expecting from Mueller?
It's hard to tell, if he's back at 100% (he clearly wasn't this past season, he lookes gassed out at times) he has the talent (he's probably our most talented player alongside Duchene) to score 30 goals and 60+ points. He'll probably play with Duchene and that line will get easier assignments defensively than the ones centered by O'Reilly and Stastny and they'll probably get a lot of O-zone starts.

Old
06-03-2012, 08:07 AM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Whats taking DW so long to 1) announce coaching staff for net season, and 2) provide the results of the player/coaching meetings as a "what went wrong last season and we we can do about it" analysis to the media and us speculators. Anyone recall when he had this completed last season??

Closed Thread