HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Cup of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

World Cup of Hockey Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group S • May 15 • Czech Republic 8, Germany 1

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2012, 10:19 AM
zorz

vCash: 500
Prucha-Koukal-Hemsky easily the best line on the ice. I hope Lojza is not that stupid to put Nedved back on this line for the QF.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:21 AM
ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Banana View Post
We basically play with our 3rd defensive core, right now. And depth is not our strength. Without Holzer, Dietrich, Hördler and Braun who where the key to the previous success and no NHL dman helping us out this year, the depth guys (aka Reul/Lavallee) who weren´t playing more than like 4-5 mins a game last year, tripled their ice time. Not a good thing.

The only guys who would play on a normal roster, would be Krüger and Fischer.
Well with Holzers good play in the AHL we should get used to a defense without him, I absolutely see him staying in Na for some years (unlike Mueller ). Dietrich died in the jet crash from Lokomotiv (for the ones who aren't into German hockey) and Braun seems to be very injury prone. We will rely on some depth guys in most not olympic years, just like we did in the past.

ouch, it get's ugly again!

Old
05-15-2012, 10:21 AM
bp spec

vCash: 50
Way too easy.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:23 AM
Wolfy*

I feel sorry for Endras, maybe he gets pulled again.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:28 AM
ts

Oh boy, 1:6

This is like a bad horror movie. You know it will be ugly and not end well, yet you can't stop watching it.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:28 AM
bp spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
I feel sorry for Endras, maybe he gets pulled again.
He can't be blamed. Seems that he's trying at least. The deutch D is incredibly soft.

And there's the sixth.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:30 AM
zorz

Germans just watching right now.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Like Wall
I am Registered User

Seems like Latvian victory over Germany wasn't sensation at all. One weak team (German NT) was defeated by another weak team (Latvian NT). This tournament was a cold shower for all Latvian hockey fans.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Erathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
Prucha-Koukal-Hemsky easily the best line on the ice. I hope Lojza is not that stupid to put Nedved back on this line for the QF.
I'm pretty sure he will

Old
05-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Germans just watching right now.
Both Germany, Latvia and Denmark seemed to have burned all their physical and mental juice in the first 4-5 matches..the last games have all been very sub-standard for those teams. It must be lack of depth on lines that has totally depleted all the top players - burned out.
Czech has not played well in the group games but seem to have played smart and economically. They will get a boost from scoring a lot of goals now to power them up for the QF.
What do the Czech supporters think of my view here???

Old
05-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Joey Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts View Post
Well with Holzers good play in the AHL we should get used to a defense without him, I absolutely see him staying in Na for some years (unlike Mueller ). Dietrich died in the jet crash from Lokomotiv (for the ones who aren't into German hockey) and Braun seems to be very injury prone. We will rely on some depth guys in most not olympic years, just like we did in the past.

ouch, it get's ugly again!
I know, but Fischer, Hördler, Braun and Krüger should be a core we could rely on. And i have to give Goldmann some credit, he is absolutely right about the defensive system, which obvioulsy sucks.

But i think they could play solid if they wouldn´t be absolutely crushed in their confidence.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:39 AM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Both Germany, Latvia and Denmark seemed to have burned all their physical and mental juice in the first 4-5 matches..the last games have all been very sub-standard for those teams. It must be lack of depth on lines that has totally depleted all the top players - burned out.
Czech has not played well in the group games but seem to have played smart and economically. They will get a boost from scoring a lot of goals now to power them up for the QF.
well I don't think we played so bad/economically because we wanted. if that was the case, we wouldn't lose a point to Norway. But I'm happy we getting better now when it matters. It's better to suck at the beginning than at the end.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:44 AM
ts

Quote:
I know, but Fischer, Hördler, Braun and Krüger should be a core we could rely on. And i have to give Goldmann some credit, he is absolutely right about the defensive system, which obvioulsy sucks.

But i think they could play solid if they wouldn´t be absolutely crushed in their confidence.
Yes, it kinda worked up until the tournement and i don't think the other teams always played at half level and our players at 100%. But I also prefer Krupps style (and I was critical on Krupp for some years)
In the end it blewed in our face. Or moreso in Köllikers. I know, DEB said they trust him but I don't see how they will re-sign him after that tournement.

Agreed about Hördler, Fischer, Braun (if healthy) and maybe Krüger (if he comes back to Europe) being the mainstays on defense until we get some of our NA based defensmen. Add to that Schubert and Goc in more limited roles and it looks much better than the defense now. But we will always have years like that with too many Reuls/Lavallees/Schmidts/Bakos etc. (or at least playing them to many minutes). Just not enough depth . and it will stay that way until we go down in licenses for importplayers I fear.

Last edited by ts: 05-15-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old
05-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Justinov

Quote:
well I don't think we played so bad/economically because we wanted. if that was the case, we wouldn't lose a point to Norway. But I'm happy we getting better now when it matters. It's better to suck at the beginning than at the end.
Yeah.....so it's maybe not because it was the game plan but more how things happen to turn out. Anyway whether you had played fantastic or not in the group game a QF against Sweden will probably always be a bit like tossing a coin.
Sweden has shown that it suddenly can fall to pieces....third period against Denmark and against Russia. QF: A Czech lead, some counter-attack hockey and frustrating the Swedes....it looks absolutely possible!

Old
05-15-2012, 10:50 AM
zorz

Quote:
Yeah.....so it's maybe not because it was the game plan but more how things happen to turn out. Anyway whether you had played fantastic or not in the group game a QF against Sweden will probably always be a bit like tossing a coin.
Sweden has shown that it suddenly can fall to pieces....third period against Denmark and against Russia. QF: A Czech lead, some counter-attack hockey and frustrating the Swedes....it looks absolutely possible!
I hope so

Old
05-15-2012, 10:51 AM
Justinov

Quote:
I hope so
But since Sweden is on home ice......Czech needs a 1-0 lead that game. The other way around back by a home crowd it will be very tough to come back.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:52 AM
ufon68

Quote:
Our team has been improving since game 1, remember latvia for example has 14 players from the same club(at least thats what i heard), so there is a lot of chemistry whereas we had to work on that(as do other teams, but sometimes, it goes faster than other times).

I'm quite happy with the way this team performs now, but we all know how it is, it will all come down to that one QF match, it's brutal, so many games have been played and our choices have pretty much been either Sweden with the home ice advantage, or Russia with all their offensive talent.

I want to say, looking back at this tournament, that our team gave it their best shot, that they worked their butt out against Sweden, and if i can say that, i'll be happy whichever way the match goes.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:52 AM
ts

Dear god, under 80% save percentage for poor Endras.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Joey Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts View Post
Yes, it kinda worked up until the tournement and i don't think the other teams always played at half level and our players at 100%. But I also prefer Krupps style (and I was critical on Krupp for some years)
In the end it blewed in our face. Or moreso in Köllikers. I know, DEB said they trust him but I don't see how they will re-sign him after that tournement.

Agreed about Hördler, Fischer, Braun (if healthy) and Krüger being the mainstays on defense until we get some of our NA based defensmen. Add to that Schubert and Goc in more limited roles and it looks much better than the defense now.
Exactly.

And we have lots of talent waiting to gets its chance (Akdag, for example), so i don´t consider this play this year a normal german team.

But at least we have something to be happy about. Gogulla finally shows his offensive skill and is probably the best offensive player i have seen in years on this team. (Please no mention of M.Goc )

Old
05-15-2012, 11:05 AM
ts

Quote:
Exactly.

And we have lots of talent waiting to gets its chance (Akdag, for example), so i don´t consider this play this year a normal german team.

But at least we have something to be happy about. Gogulla finally shows his offensive skill and is probably the best offensive player i have seen in years on this team. (Please no mention of M.Goc )
It sure isn't normal. Normal would be fighting for a quarter final (not reaching it every year) instead of being ***** by a Norwegian team. Funny to think that we only lost 2:0 against Russia.

Goc is an offensive dissapointment so often... he is for the national team what he is in the NHL: a 2-way-forward more leaning to defensive actions who sometimes gets hot on offense. That said he mostly brings valuable elements to the team and is more often than not one of our best forwards overall IMO. I see the same in Schütz, really like him. Damn Kölliker for sitting him for 30 year old Furchner. I really hope Akdag can keep his track, (often, not today) looks so calm and more like a veteran than most other German dmen.

1:8

Last edited by ts: 05-15-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old
05-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Kim

It's the Norway game all over again for poor Germany....

Old
05-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Wolfy*

That coach of yours should be fired.

Old
05-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufon68 View Post
Our team has been improving since game 1, remember latvia for example has 14 players from the same club(at least thats what i heard), so there is a lot of chemistry whereas we had to work on that(as do other teams, but sometimes, it goes faster than other times).

I'm quite happy with the way this team performs now, but we all know how it is, it will all come down to that one QF match, it's brutal, so many games have been played and our choices have pretty much been either Sweden with the home ice advantage, or Russia with all their offensive talent.

I want to say, looking back at this tournament, that our team gave it their best shot, that they worked their butt out against Sweden, and if i can say that, i'll be happy whichever way the match goes.
Yep one brutal QF. But at least coming from a group game without playing very well, you can only surprise. The Swedes will have a lot more pressure, being called final candidate and on home ice. Thats why a czech lead can give you big chances in that match.

Old
05-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Like Wall
I am Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufon68 View Post
You think it's good? That is a fairly weak club and it only means we cannot find better players. We have no NHL caliber players, our KHL people are cannon fodder, and supposed team leaders aren't leaders at all.

Old
05-15-2012, 11:15 AM
bp spec

The Germans just want to get on the plane home so bad.

Closed Thread