HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Serious Question- Why All the Ranger Hate

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-15-2012, 12:49 AM
  #26
Greg02
Registered User
 
Greg02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Chariot View Post
All Hate = Fear and Jealousy

That's true in hockey as well as life.
Counterpoint: I hate the Islanders.

Personally, I love the hate. Why would I want fans of other teams to like my team?

Greg02 is online now  
Old
05-15-2012, 12:50 AM
  #27
hof2120
Registered User
 
hof2120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Chariot View Post
All Hate = Fear and Jealousy

That's true in hockey as well as life.
No. Sometimes hate is just hate.

hof2120 is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 12:51 AM
  #28
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hof2120 View Post
No. Sometimes hate is just hate.

Nope...

Hate is a fear based emotion... always

__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man
I Am Chariot is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 12:51 AM
  #29
Unpredictable1
Registered User
 
Unpredictable1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hof2120 View Post
Dubinsky is a *****y little ******
Enough reasons for this hate?
I agree he is as passionate as is your boy Hartnell, but let me guess, that's not whining on his part whenever he's flappin his gums and having a temper tantrum right? lol

Unpredictable1 is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 12:52 AM
  #30
hof2120
Registered User
 
hof2120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
Counterpoint: I hate the Islanders.

Personally, I love the hate. Why would I want fans of other teams to like my team?
This.

I love that the Flyers are one of the most hated teams in the league. We don't want you to like us. We want you to hate us as much as we hate you.

*not talking about you specifically.

hof2120 is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 12:52 AM
  #31
Affinity
Registered User
 
Affinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toms River, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,006
vCash: 500
Yo, guys. No one outside of places like Philly and Boston hate the Rangers because they're from NY. I say Philly and Boston because the other sports teams have rivalries with their teams. It's so egocentric to think that people hate the team because they play in NYC.

Affinity is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 12:52 AM
  #32
rangers5000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 510
vCash: 500
again there are bad and good fans for EVERY team, why is it that rangers fans get called out for this, while your teams get off the hook

rangers5000 is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 12:53 AM
  #33
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks
 
SlingshotVv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKing17 View Post
I can't say I hate any fans or anything... but (besides the fact that my team is still in it) the theatrics after goals and wins in the Garden kind of make it hard for me to want them to win.

Petty reason, I know, but there it is.
So, you pretty much hate NY sports fans in general then. Not saying it's wrong for you to feel that way, but check out the Yanks, Mets, Giants, Jets, or Knicks games. NYers being NYers is probably not going to change from one sport to the next.

NYers are an acquired taste for sure for some, and the object of never-ending disdain for others.

Being born and raised here, I really wouldn't have it any other way

SlingshotVv is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 12:53 AM
  #34
hof2120
Registered User
 
hof2120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
I agree he is as passionate as is your boy Hartnell, but let me guess, that's not whining on his part whenever he's flappin his gums and having a temper tantrum right? lol
Did I say the Flyers are perfect? No. I simply stated why I hate the Rangers.

Would I like Dubinsky if he was a Flyer? Probably. But he's not, so **** him.

hof2120 is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 12:59 AM
  #35
Roomtemperature
Registered User
 
Roomtemperature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 923
Because the fans are insufferable

Roomtemperature is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 12:59 AM
  #36
albator71
Registered User
 
albator71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,479
vCash: 500
I have a lot of respect for the Rangers, they are willing to pay the price and sacrifice their body to win. My Sens had two chances to knocked them out and the Rangers played almost two perfect game. I still can't believe Montreal traded McDonagh for Gomez what the well were they thinking???

albator71 is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 01:00 AM
  #37
Unpredictable1
Registered User
 
Unpredictable1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hof2120 View Post
Did I say the Flyers are perfect? No. I simply stated why I hate the Rangers.

Would I like Dubinsky if he was a Flyer? Probably. But he's not, so **** him.
Fair enough. Cheers.

Unpredictable1 is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 01:02 AM
  #38
Nuck Bonino
Registered User
 
Nuck Bonino's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,267
vCash: 50
Before joining these boards last year I wouldnt have cared and rooted for whomever after my team got knocked out (as long as it wasnt the Lames or the Oilers)
These playoffs, I found myself actively rooting against Ottawa, St. Louis and New York. So basically Ive come to the conclusion that hfboards has made me the bitter hockey fan I am today


Last edited by Nuck Bonino: 05-15-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Nuck Bonino is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 01:02 AM
  #39
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,328
vCash: 500
Somebody heff to be mad.

wolfgaze is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 01:04 AM
  #40
Corto
Faceless Man
 
Corto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Braavos
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark11 View Post
why are fans generally getting behind anyone besides new york

how can u not respect a team like this, the hard work, players who went undrafted or were drafted late who play "canadian"
Because they're boring and they play boring hockey.
Awfully dull, boring, boring, boring, boring hockey.

Much like the Kings.

Compared to them, the Devils are playing Oiler 80s style.

Corto is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 01:06 AM
  #41
hof2120
Registered User
 
hof2120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
As far as I'm concerned, the hate for the Rangers, at least from Atlantic teams is simple. We're taught to hate each other. We're supposed to hate our division rivals...that's why it's a rivalry. There's not always a good reason behind it, but it's always there.

hof2120 is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 01:09 AM
  #42
Leafidelity
Way she goes...
 
Leafidelity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,380
vCash: 1775
I'm pretty indifferent to the Rangers. Only team I'd rather not see win anything is the Devils, and even that doesn't compare at all to how hard the finals were last year.

Leafidelity is online now  
Old
05-15-2012, 01:09 AM
  #43
mikitas donut
Flowers of Antimony
 
mikitas donut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 1,894
vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind the Rangers taking it. Rooting for the Kings though.

mikitas donut is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 01:10 AM
  #44
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Because they're boring and they play boring hockey.
Awfully dull, boring, boring, boring, boring hockey.

Much like the Kings.

Compared to them, the Devils are playing Oiler 80s style.
Oh please! The only thing that enables you to say that is because you have no vested emotional interest in the Rangers winning... If your team (whoever your root for) played like the Rangers, there is absolutely zero chance you would ever make such a characterization, and everyone knows it.

Rangers are a hard-skating, physical, shot blocking team that plays a passionate brand of hockey out on the ice. They have to play that way to maximize their effectiveness due to a lack of top end skill up front. Rangers know they are not going to be scoring 4-5 goals a nice on any consistent basis, so they play a more team-oriented defense style that emphasizes shot blocking and taking away passing/shooting lanes, and they do it well! Rangers led the league in fighting majors this year so there was no shortage of scrums for the fans who still appreciate the fisticuffs. Bottom line, Rangers are not a boring hockey team to watch unless you find any of the above characterizations of their actual game, "boring".


wolfgaze is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 01:13 AM
  #45
hof2120
Registered User
 
hof2120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Oh please! The only thing that enables you to say that is because you have no vested emotional interest in the Rangers winning... If your team (whoever your root for) played like the Rangers, there is absolutely zero chance you would ever make such a characterization, and everyone knows it.

Rangers are a hard-skating, physical, shot blocking team that plays a passionate brand of hockey out on the ice. They have to play that way to maximize their effectiveness due to a lack of top end skill up front. Rangers know they are not going to be scoring 4-5 goals a nice on any consistent basis, so they play a more team-oriented defense style that emphasizes shot blocking and taking away passing/shooting lanes, and they do it well! Rangers led the league in fighting majors this year so there was no shortage of scrums for the fans who still appreciate the fisticuffs. Bottom line, Rangers are not a boring hockey team to watch unless you find any of the above characterizations of their actual game, "boring".

I find it boring watching the Rangers beat the Flyers. Therefore, the Rangers are boring.

hof2120 is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 01:14 AM
  #46
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party
 
DonCherrysSuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 918
vCash: 500
The Rangers are a big market team, which makes it a bit of a Robin Hood scenario. Coupled with resentment about burying Redden in the minors, combined with the Rangers longstanding history of signing bigshot UFAs, and it's easy to see it as a Rangers Are The 1%, Occupy type of deal. The Rangers aren't quite the Yankees, but any NY team is easy to hate because it's one of the biggest markets.

Also, with a big market comes a lot of media outlets, which leads to lots of hype

Then, the Rangers drew a great deal of resentment through the regular season for winning so many games while playing defensive hockey. Some people said they were boring, and others looked at how many games the Rangers won by one-goal margins and said that the Rangers were lucky and didn't deserve to be the 1 seed.

DonCherrysSuit is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 01:15 AM
  #47
KingLundqvistXXX
Confetti & Balloons
 
KingLundqvistXXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Because....

they are a boring team who actually plays D
Lundqvist's illegal pads
Tortorella says mean swears to the press
Refs
Bad Ice
Railings
Bad Lighting
Confetti and Balloons

KingLundqvistXXX is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 01:23 AM
  #48
Devilshark
Registered Abuser
 
Devilshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Central New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLundqvistXXX View Post
Because....

they are a boring team who actually plays D
Lundqvist's illegal pads
Tortorella says mean swears to the press
Refs
Bad Ice
Railings
Bad Lighting
Confetti and Balloons
Well at least youre honest.

Devilshark is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 01:24 AM
  #49
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hof2120 View Post
I find it boring watching the Rangers beat the Flyers. Therefore, the Rangers are boring.
No, you find it aggravating. At least get the adjective right.

wolfgaze is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 01:26 AM
  #50
hof2120
Registered User
 
hof2120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
No, you find it aggravating. At least get the adjective right.
I didn't think I really needed to add this guy for you to know I was joking.

hof2120 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.