HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

The issue with Canada at World Hockey Championship?

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2012, 07:49 AM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

vCash: 520
Canada has not won anything since the Olympics

After their triumph in Vancouver thanks to the golden goal by Crosby, Canadians have failed to win any other major trophy. Their gold draught on WHC is now 5 years, same at U18 WJHC and 3 years at U20.

Is Canadian hockey in decline or other countries caught up?

Old
05-17-2012, 07:51 AM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
Countries are catching up.

Rather lose to good winners like Slovakia than the US or Russia though, so good on that.

Old
05-17-2012, 07:52 AM
Avallach
Rookie User

vCash: 500
I don't know, but with most Canucks I've spoken, they seemed to consider WHC as something inferior to Stanley Cup and Olympics.
Perhaps that's why they don't put much effort in it? Just a guess.

Course, other countries are also getting better.

Note: There is no offense intended towards any Canadian in my post. Just sayin'

Old
05-17-2012, 07:53 AM
Ilyeu

The issue with Canada at World Hockey Championship?

Well another quarter final loss. I think the main point by most Canadians is that:
"We don't have our best players," or "The better players are injured" or "We don't have enough heart for this tournament" Just to name a few reasons (excuses)

Well if you look at this tournaments history, lesser teams with lesser players have won. These teams usually consisted of experienced veterans, strong minded players who are hard workers.

The last time Canada won gold was in 2007 and in that year, the team consisted of lesser players. Yet, they still won gold. The following subsequent years, (2009 +) it seems that Canada has employed a youth campaign to prepare and foster Champions for the Olympics. This tournament being a stage ground for the Olympics, yet for some reason we still want to win this, with inexperience.

Why do we employ such lousy international coaches? Why do we pick lousy players who don't fit the international game or just aren't good enough. What's the real problem?

Your opinions.

Old
05-17-2012, 07:56 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
The issue with Canada is what the issue will always be. It's not a best-on-best tournament for them, and it's simply not important enough that all the players available are willing to play. You think if this was the Olympics that Crosby and Iginila would pass on playing to get ready for the season?

For the Slovakia's of the world, this is the Stanley Cup Finals. Guys on Canada are on the team so that they either get brownie points towards being in the Olympic team, or they don't feel like going home yet.

Old
05-17-2012, 07:58 AM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avallach View Post
I don't know, but with most Canucks I've spoken, they seemed to consider WHC as something inferior to Stanley Cup and Olympics.
Perhaps that's why they don't put much effort in it? Just a guess.

Course, other countries are also getting better.

Note: There is no offense intended towards any Canadian in my post. Just sayin'
Stanley Cup > Olympics >>World Juniors>>>>WHC

is the way I, and I believe most Canadians, view this. It's not an excuse, and it is what it is. I wish we would've won, and I guess I "care." I would rather see Edmonton win the Stanley Cup though, is that so wrong?

I am mainly intersted in this tournament because I dont give a **** who wins the Cup out of these 4 remaining teams, and there are 4 Oilers on international teams. That's the extent of me giving a crap.

Last edited by Matt Ryan: 05-17-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old
05-17-2012, 08:01 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
miek yoe pls

vCash: 50
Who cares if there aren't all the best players? Sure it would be great if all the best players would be there, but they aren't. There's still very much great players that are stars in the NHL. It's still great hockey.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:02 AM
Hockeyfrilla

4 straight golds at U18 Ivan Hlinka

Old
05-17-2012, 08:02 AM
saint2e

I rank them:

Olympics > Stanley Cup > World Junior Tournament > World Championships > Spengler Cup

Any tournament poorly timed so that countries can't send their best players due to league commitments really doesn't get much credibility as a "top-tier" tournament.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Like Wall

There is no issue. They lost. Happens from time to time. These Canadian not-so-best players are better than most countries can field. Latvia would be champions every year, had we these kind of talents available.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Ilyeu

Are countries catching up?

People have been saying that since 2001. How does a country 'catch up' in just three years. It requires years of development to make a generation of winning players. Canada went through a drought in Hockey between 1998 to 2003. It's a cycle. People expecting Canada to win all the time are fooling themselves. Lets see these so called countries that are catching up, consistently medal in bronze and silvers compared to Canada. Ah, that's what I thought. I don't see Norway, Slovakia, Switzerland and Latvia doing that.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:09 AM
SeriousHabs

The WHC is barely discussed in Montreal. We talk about the playoffs and the Habs next season. I couldn't even name 10 players that played for Canada, and I didn't even know that we lost.

I only hear about the WHC when top players refuse to go. It seems to be a place for the kids to gain international experience, or for Bouwmeester to feel important.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:10 AM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

vCash: 520
Canada has not been anything epic at the Olympics as well, remember they only won on NA soil basically playing at home. They failed miserably outside of their continent

Old
05-17-2012, 08:10 AM
franfrey*

The goaltending for one...

Old
05-17-2012, 08:11 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Canadian goaltending has been **** in virtually every tournament. Again here, they go with a guy based on reputation rather than actual results. In this tournament, Ward looked shaky in every game he played yet still they have him anointed the #1 and ride him right out in the quarter-finals. A goalie who played extremely well in the last 1/3 of the NHL season and the 2+1 pre-tourney games he played, sits on the bench. You have to make tough decisions like in 2010 when Brodeur was removed from the net.

You need good goaltending to win in these tournament so Canada has to really look at how they are choosing who plays. You need the hot hand, not the guy who won something 6 years ago.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:13 AM
fireworks

First, let me say congrats to Slovakia on the victory this morning.

That being said...Unfortunately, this tournament is not very important to Canada. I can only speak for myself, I watch this tournament if I'm able to...but its not the same as NHL Playoffs and/or the Olympics. I will not miss an NHL Playoff game and the Olympics are awesome best vs best.

This tourney does provide good hockey. Many,many times the best players are not available due to playoffs,injuries,etc for all teams involved and it hurts the interest level imo.

I think "Our Game" is just fine...other countries are getting better without a doubt. But, I'll our chances in any game against any other country...just not today

Old
05-17-2012, 08:15 AM
Ilyeu

Quote:
Canadian goaltending has been **** in virtually every tournament. Again here, they go with a guy based on reputation rather than actual results. In this tournament, Ward looked shaky in every game he played yet still they have him anointed the #1 and ride him right out in the quarter-finals. A goalie who played extremely well in the last 1/3 of the NHL season and the 2+1 pre-tourney games he played, sits on the bench. You have to make tough decisions like in 2010 when Brodeur was removed from the net.

You need good goaltending to win in these tournament so Canada has to really look at how they are choosing who plays. You need the hot hand, not the guy who won something 6 years ago.
I think that's the biggest issue with our appointed coaching staff. They always do these kind of mistakes or scouting issues. Dubnyk was incredible in the games he played, but the coaching staff didn't see this.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:15 AM
fallsviewafro
Finnish goalies

vCash: 1075
olympics > stanley cup > wjc > whc from a canadian perspective. a shame really, ive gotten into the whc lately as i LOVE IIHF. would rather watch finland/norway than FLA/phx or something.

yes, good players go to the worlds, but not the best.

with that being said, i think there's a lot of hubris / "lol u guys suck were canada" and the hard work doesn't materialize. its popular to rip on goaltending, but canada has never done really well at the worlds.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:17 AM
Samcanadian

vCash: 54
Well I'll start caring when they start televising games that don't start at 5:00AM.

Case in point: Most Canadians would rather sleep in than watch them play against Slovakia in the quarterfinals.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:17 AM
Cruor

A tournament is a tournament is a tournament. The excuse that they somehow don't care is just that IMHO, an excuse. You don't switch on/off just like that, the winning mentality either is ingrained or it isn't.

Last few years something has been lacking, I'm not quite sure what. Goaltending is one part.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:19 AM
waitin425

First off, congrats to Slovakia!!!! As someone who considers himself a pretty big hockey fan, I have never really gotten into this tournament. I didn't watch even one of the games in this tournament.

IMHO the timing of this tournament could not be worse for NA hockey fans, and the tournament means very little for a number of reasons.

Firstly;

All the best players in the world are not at this tournament including a number of Canadians (Crosby, Giroux, Stamkos, Weber, Doughty, Fleury, Price)

Secondly;

The Stanley Cup playoffs is still being played.

Canada is still the deepest hockey nation in the world. Are we the best? Over the long term, I would say yes, but year to year...no.

I still think we could have two or three competitive teams in every World hockey tournament, but clearly after our top team, the winning gets a lot tougher.

Anyways, congrats to Slovakia again and good luck to the countries still in it!

Old
05-17-2012, 08:19 AM
Ilyeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcanadian View Post
Well I'll start caring when they start televising games that don't start at 5:00AM.

Case in point: Most Canadians would rather sleep in than watch them play against Slovakia in the quarterfinals.
Yet you're up at 9 am, checking the results and posting here.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:20 AM
spedico

They're too arrogant. They cancelled like half of their training sessions, went to night club night before a game..

Old
05-17-2012, 08:20 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
A tournament is a tournament is a tournament. The excuse that they somehow don't care is just that IMHO, an excuse. You don't switch on/off just like that, the winning mentality either is ingrained or it isn't.

Last few years something has been lacking, I'm not quite sure what. Goaltending is one part.
Ward is the best goaltender they had available to them from the start of the tournament. He's in the mix to be the starter for Canada in the Olympics, so if people think he's bad, it doesn't get much better.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:21 AM
waitin425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruor View Post

The only thing lacking is the best players in the world. This is like an all star game with every teams 3rd and 4th best player playing.

Closed Thread