HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Bud Holloway staying in Sweden

Old
05-15-2012, 07:26 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

vCash: 500
Bud Holloway staying in Sweden

http://translate.google.se/translate...-skelleftea%2F

It says there's been strong interest in him from both the NHL and KHL but that he's decided to stay in Skellefteå for another year.

The GM of that team has yet to confirm it but that's probably only a formality until his signature is officially on the paper.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:38 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Could be posturing to get himself traded to a team that will give him a better shot. Wouldn't be surprised to see his rights dealt this summer.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:40 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

I will not believe it until it's confirmed, but this would be SUPER SUPER disappointing and stupid for Holloway. He will quickly become too old for NHL teams to take a chance on him, ruining any shot at the NHL or eventually a top six role there. Urgh. He should be a solid 3rd liner on the Kings next year.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:28 AM
damacles1156

If true, Good Riddance.

I want guys like Slava and Hickey. Guys that are willing to do what it takes to make the Kings Roster. Hickey was a First round pick, Does anyone hear him Pissing and Moaning ?

Maybe that team is going to offer him basically an NHL contract type money(or more). If that is the case, Well I can't really blame Holloway then.

If they are going to offer him Big Money (Millions) Then why leave ? He is already their best Forward....

If that is the case, then good for Holloway. Holloway did what's best for him.

Last edited by damacles1156: 05-15-2012 at 08:44 AM.
damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:51 AM
Capn Brown

We lack both a 2nd and a 3rd round pick in the upcoming draft. Then again, there's Holloway & Moller......

Asset management!!!

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:55 AM
damacles1156

No team is going to give up a 2nd or 3rd pick to get Moller/Holloway.

Moller is signed for another year with Sweds, Holloway probably will stay. I think the best Lombardi could do is; package Holloway and Hickey, grab a young top six Forward(or Elite prospect).

Or another Big body that has some skill, to play bottom six or top six.

Old
05-15-2012, 09:14 AM
SuperAlmeida

Det finns dock en NHL-klausul i Buds kontrakt.
– Jag har bestämt mig för att spela där (i Skellefteå) om jag inte får kontrakt i NHL. Det är dealen. Det är väl någon gång i juli det bestäms fullt ut. Ungefär som det var med Jocke Lindström ifjol. Det är väl samma klausul som alla har. Får jag ett envägskontrakt i NHL så kommer jag inte.
HÅP!
http://www.svenskafans.com/hockeyzon...IK-444836.aspx

However, there is an NHL clause in Buds contract.
- I have decided to play there (in Stockholm) if I do not get contract in the NHL. That's the deal. It is well sometime in July, it is determined fully. Much like it was with Jocke Lindström last year. It's probably the same clause that everyone has. Do I get a one-way contract in the NHL, I will not.

Last edited by SuperAlmeida: 05-15-2012 at 09:30 AM.
SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:20 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
No team is going to give up a 2nd or 3rd pick to get Moller/Holloway.

That's not true. We spent a 2nd on Brad Freakin' Richardson. Meanwhile, George Freakin' Parros was acquired with a 2nd. Dan Freakin' Cloutier cost us TWO 2nds.

And Brian Boyle, when everybody thought he was a total bust, managed to get us a 3rd.

Old
05-15-2012, 09:22 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
That's not true. We spent a 2nd on Brad Freakin' Richardson. Meanwhile, George Freakin' Parros was acquired with a 2nd. Dan Freakin' Cloutier cost us TWO 2nds.

And Brian Boyle, when everybody thought he was a total bust, managed to get us a 3rd.
And those were all Stupid moves, mostly done by the Kings... What does that tell you ?

The team that trades for them, doesn't even know if they are coming back to North America. What GM makes that move ?

Moller does not have an out clause(One more year signed). Holloway will probably make more money in Sweds, he is their best forward.

No Gm is going to give a second or third to see if Moller might come back to NA in another freakin year. Same Holloway.

Old
05-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
And those were all Stupid moves, mostly done by the Kings... What does that tell you ?
If those moves were mostly done by the Kings (and they were), and if Dean is smarter than most GMs (and he is), that tells me some GM out there will pay a 2nd for Holloway while another will pay a 3rd for Moller.

Old
05-15-2012, 09:27 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
If those moves were mostly done by the Kings (and they were), and if Dean is smarter than most GMs (and he is), that tells me some GM out there will pay a 2nd for Holloway while another will pay a 3rd for Moller.
No Lombardi got taken for a ride in most of those, A second for Richardson ? two for the disaster in goal ? Boyle still had some upside, but that is canceled out by giving up Purcell for nothing .

Old
05-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Skellhell

He will stay in Sweden unless he gets a one-way deal.

Skellhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:35 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skellhell View Post
That makes sense, Lombardi is pretty arrogant though. Don't know how trying to bully your way into a lineup is going to work with Lombardi.

Old
05-15-2012, 09:35 AM
SuperAlmeida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skellhell View Post
Yeah, and I think we have not started the discussions yet! So we're status quo!

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Ollie Weeks

God dammit, Bud.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:58 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
Det finns dock en NHL-klausul i Buds kontrakt.
– Jag har bestämt mig för att spela där (i Skellefteå) om jag inte får kontrakt i NHL. Det är dealen. Det är väl någon gång i juli det bestäms fullt ut. Ungefär som det var med Jocke Lindström ifjol. Det är väl samma klausul som alla har. Får jag ett envägskontrakt i NHL så kommer jag inte.
HÅP!

However, there is an NHL clause in Buds contract.
- I have decided to play there (in Stockholm) if I do not get contract in the NHL. That's the deal. It is well sometime in July, it is determined fully. Much like it was with Jocke Lindström last year. It's probably the same clause that everyone has. Do I get a one-way contract in the NHL, I will not.
Clarification, good. So in essence he's gonna want to be an NHL player or he's going back to Europe. Not exactly a big surprise there.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
God dammit, Bud.
My thoughts exactly. I really want this guy in a Kings uni for the clutch factor. I get the feeling he's going to be a very, very good 3RW for someone else. Argh.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

So he is staying in Sweden unless he gets a one-way deal, is this news? I thought this was the talk all year.

Playing in the AHL is not a very enjoyable lifestyle, especially for someone who is married and has a child (which I believe is the case here). The travel sucks and the money is quite a bit less than a guy like Holloway could make in Europe. There is a reason so many fringe NHL type guys end up over there rather than in the AHL.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:07 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
My thoughts exactly. I really want this guy in a Kings uni for the clutch factor.

Penner's replacement?

Old
05-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Penner's replacement?
I'd rather keep Penner.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:11 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Penner's replacement?
Gagne has one more year. If he is healthy. He will be slotted next to Richards/Carter.

Bud has to replace King or Nolan/Richardson. All those guys are under contract. Bud might not have a spot, and he has no one to blame but himself.

I would rather have Nolan and King.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:13 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I'd rather keep Penner.
I would too, Penner has been a really good forward in the Playoff's.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:14 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:

And all of those players were in the NHL at the time of the trade. Holloway and Mollar aren't. Best we'd get is some mid-round picks.

Quote:
That makes sense, Lombardi is pretty arrogant though. Don't know how trying to bully your way into a lineup is going to work with Lombardi.
It's not bullying. All he's doing is setting it up that if the NHL (LA) doesn't come calling or offer him a one-way deal, he's locked himself into a position in Sweden for next year. It's just covering your bases and ensuring job security is all. This has no impact at all on his negotiations with LA.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:21 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
And all of those players were in the NHL at the time of the trade. Holloway and Mollar aren't. Best we'd get is some mid-round picks.

It's not bullying. All he's doing is setting it up that if the NHL (LA) doesn't come calling or offer him a one-way deal, he's locked himself into a position in Sweden for next year. It's just covering your bases and ensuring job security is all. This has no impact at all on his negotiations with LA.
I get that,

But Lombardi is an earn your way type of guy. He is not going to like Bud trying to force his way into the lineup.

The Give me a one way deal or else move. He should earn his roster spot like the other kids did.

That's just me.

Bud can do what ever he wants. That doesn't mean I have to respect him for it.

He can go back to Europe, wait another year become an UFA (One more year right ?) Then do what ever the hell he pleases.

I have a ton of respect for Slava, and guys like Hickey. Hickey was a first round pick, so far that kid hasn't complained one bit.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:47 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
I get that,

But Lombardi is an earn your way type of guy. He is not going to like Bud trying to force his way into the lineup.

The Give me a one way deal or else move. He should earn his roster spot like the other kids did.

That's just me.

Bud can do what ever he wants. That doesn't mean I have to respect him for it.

He can go back to Europe, wait another year become an UFA (One more year right ?) Then do what ever the hell he pleases.

I have a ton of respect for Slava, and guys like Hickey. Hickey was a first round pick, so far that kid hasn't complained one bit.
I agree with what you're saying, just not the implication Bud is 'bullying' his way onto the team is all.

I do think where Bud erred is going to Sweden in the first place. I understand why he did it, but in hindsight it would have been better if he stayed in LA. I think personally he'd have had the spot Trent Hunter or Ethan Moreau got this year. Now it worked out for us because clearing out those two led us to recall King and Nolan, but for Bud, he'd have IMO likely had a position with the Kings out of camp on the 3rd/4th line. Especially since we needed some scoring pun ch there after letting guys like Simmonds, Handzus and Smyth walk.

I also agree, I have a huge amount of respect for Hickey. He got put into a position he didn't even ask for, being the 4th overall pick in a draft where he was projected to go around 20th overall (I know Boston was rumoured to take him 8th, but that's just rumour and not certainty). Instead of using that draft status, he sat back, put in his time and has worked very hard. Two striaght camps he's been arguably NHL worthy, but due to depth he got sent to the AHL. Two straight years he's worked hard and battled. He's put in his dues and I hope we find a way to make a move to get him into the line up next year. He and Voynov are great examples of how the Kings are doing things right IMO.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote