HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

whats your guys opinion of the Capitals?

Old
05-15-2012, 10:42 AM
HOLDITHERE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89 View Post
Ovy semin and Backstrom are way overrated.

holtby is the number 1 and is incredible.

Decent depth

Mediocre defense

Good systems
Ohhhh, I get it. You started watching hockey 2 months ago. All makes sense now.

HOLDITHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:46 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Bandwagon since 2008

I think they're a terribly constructed team offensively. The forwards looked like they had no chemistry.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:55 AM
DCRedhawk21

This is an incredibly important off-season for the team... say what you will about Boudreau's style, it at least fit the personnel... with Hunter gone they are a team with a lot of holes and no real identity.

They are a team with a quite a few good peices but a ton of questions about where everyone fits and how to deal with the remaining openings:

Ovechkin
Backstrom
Johannson
Laich
Brouwer
Chimera
Alzner
Calrson
Orlov
Green
Holtby
Neuvirth

They need a plan going forward and I'm not really sure GMGM has one. I will glady eat crow if wrong though.

DCRedhawk21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:57 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

My opinion is they should sign Suter.

05-15-2012, 10:58 AM
EverettMike

I realize they just played "great" defensively, but I think that team could reeeeeally use Suter.

Suter would allow them to be a lot better defensively, without requiring the complete abandonment of offense, which is what they did to be "great" defensively.

He would allow them to have a better (some!) balance that they lacked in these playoffs.

EverettMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:02 AM
SupremefartMachine

Really boring, remind me of a dead puck era team.

SupremefartMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89 View Post
Ovy semin and Backstrom are way overrated.

holtby is the number 1 and is incredible.

Decent depth

Mediocre defense

Good systems
Almost everything you said here is completely false. Our defense is good apart from Wideman and Schultz, take away Semin/Backstrom/Ovechkin there's hardly any scoring depth. And Backstrom overrated? Ha.

Dr John Carlson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:16 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Thinkin' they'll lose Semin at least.
Is that really a loss? The money could be better spent elsewhere IMO.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:26 AM
DCRedhawk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Is that really a loss? The money could be better spent elsewhere IMO.

On what though?

I'd argue that unless they get Suter or Parise, the team doesn't get better spending that money elsewhere. And I don't see either of those happenings. They don't need more bottom 6ers, and if they decide that it would be beneficial to add one, they don't need to clear Semin's salary to sign them. They need a 2C (unless MoJo makes major progress), another 2nd line winger (if Semin walks) and a top-4 LD partner for Green. Suter's too perfect of a fit to not at least kick the tires on, but unless they can get him or Parise (and why would either want to sign in DC?), losing Semin makes the team worse, not better.

EDIT - just to be clear, I'm not debating you're premise that there's better ways to spend 6.7 million in an ideal circumstance, but I just don't see anyone available.

DCRedhawk21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:31 AM
socratic

The late second round exit is a disappointment compared to pre-season expectations, but I don't think they should be upset with how the playoffs went.

If you took any team about to start the playoffs with a goalie who had played a total of 21 NHL games, told them they'd be playing the stanley cup champions in round 1, and the best team in the East in round two, there isn't a team in the league that wouldn't say yes to being offered a round 2 game 7.

I also don't think they have a ton of re-tooling to do.

They need to re-sign some defensemen.

It looks like they'll lose semin, so they'll probably want to try and replace some of his offense up front (I've heard plausible trades offered up between SJ and other teams), or free agent signings, possibly going after a solid second line centre rather than a big name winger.

They'll start next year with Holtby and Neuvirth battling for the starting job.

They have a little work to do, but I expect them to be back in the playoffs next year and at least making noise.

socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Badger36

The Caps have all the pieces to be a cup winner, they just need an on-ice leader and less inner conflict.
IMO, they need to get rid of Ovechkin. He is a crybaby diva who thinks the team should revolve around him even though he isnt the leader that a captain should be and isnt the goalscorer that he once was.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Lshap

I really liked watching the Caps reinvent themselves within a single season. Most teams continue playing past their best-before date (San Jose, Chicago, etc), but Washington did its retool on the fly -- and it worked. Hunter comes in, scraps the old system, shifts the focus from superstar Ovi's crew to a new attitude with guys like Chimera and Laich, with the dramatic emergence of some unknown kid named Holtby. They looked like they were out of the playoffs, then roared back to being right on the doorstep of the final four, separated by a single goal. I have a lot of respect for what they accomplished.

Moving forward, so much depends on who's behind the bench and what that means for Ovechkin. I won't even speculate.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:48 AM
TOML

They took 'The East's Team of Destiny' to game 7 in round 2. That's about as far as they could push it this season. So mission accomplished.

GMGM has some work to do still. Unfortunately that requires finding a new coach now as well. The good news is that it shouldn't take a mountain of cash to extend Mike Green and John Carlson. The bad news is that Semin will be leaving, but perhaps that's addition through subtraction. Vokoun is as good as gone. But what of Knuble and Wideman? The latter had a pretty good season and there may be a market for him.

The main focus should once again be towards getting OV going again. Should he be the captain? I know the odds of this are slim, but why not throw a barrel full of cash to Shane Doan and make him the captain? That way OV can concentrate on his offensive game and Doan can take away some of his crash and bang responsibilities. OV-Backstrom-Doan would be a helluva line. Cheers.

TOML

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey36 View Post
IMO, they need to get rid of Ovechkin. He is a crybaby diva who thinks the team should revolve around him
Oh? What information do you base this on? The fact that he is a Russian superstar?

Dr John Carlson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:42 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH1 View Post
I disagree with this conventional wisdom. The only reason that the Caps did anything this postseason is because Braden Holtby went all Jeremy Lin on us and carried his team.

The Caps core is Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green, and Wideman. Trying to force those guys to play a strictly defensive system is a huge waste of their talent.

Either the Caps need to find a coach who can take advantage of his best players' skills, or they need to completely blow things up and start again. I suggest the first option.
wideman is not our core, hes a 3rd pairing D

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Aeroforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
The people who say Holtby was a huge factor weren't watching anything except the box scores. He would constantly give up juicy rebounds that were cleared by the fact that they played a system that essentially never had a player past the circles in their own zone and when the opponents had the puck everybody had to be back in their own zone(see: zero forecheck). He was rarely tested as #HunterHockey said "go ahead and tee off perimeter shots all game, we don't care" leading to inflated save%. Holtby let in a number of softies as well. He was "good" yes, but it wasn't Conn Smythe worthy(had they made the finals...bahahahahaha) by any sense of the imagination.
Definitely agree. They were either watching only the box scores or listening to Pierre Maguire.

Aeroforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:59 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 153
I think they've got a pretty good thing going on over there. They're one of the few teams that feels comfortable drafting Russian players, eventually that will give them a significant advantage. If their GM spends the money a little better (as far as cap hits), they're in a much better spot - probably playing for a Cup.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Kevin8se7en
Former Flyers Fan

Sign Ryan Suter, trade Mike Green for a good 2-way dman and a pick, and let Ovie play the run and gun while Suter has his back... That's what I would TRY and do.

My opinion is that they need to be an offensive minded team, with a very solid top 4 D core, and for that to happen, they need toswap green for a legit top.pairing guy who is very good at playing D. Otherwise, they are a good.team with no cup.in sight.

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:35 PM
n3ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post
Sign Ryan Suter, trade Mike Green for a good 2-way dman and a pick, and let Ovie play the run and gun while Suter has his back... That's what I would TRY and do.

My opinion is that they need to be an offensive minded team, with a very solid top 4 D core, and for that to happen, they need toswap green for a legit top.pairing guy who is very good at playing D. Otherwise, they are a good.team with no cup.in sight.
I'd love to see Suter in and Green's rights traded, but they're gutted offensively. No offensive depth at all after MoJo, who needs to discover HGH this off season.

n3ss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 04:15 PM
Drij

To many russians on the team.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Liked them much better when they were a run and gun team.

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 04:22 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
Did anyone have the Caps as cup favorites?
They were getting plenty of hype over the offseason after signing Vokoun for peanuts, and adding the grinders and vets like Ward, Brouwer and Hamrlik that everyone thought they needed. Plus many people expected a big bounce-back year from Ovy, most thought his 85 point season in 2010/11 was an outlier, and that he'd be back to 50+ goals, 100+ points in 2011/12. When the Caps started out 7-0-0, with a 7-1 win over the Red Wings as that 7th win, there were plenty of people calling them the best team in the league. Then they went 5-11-1 over their next 17 games, and the hype died, but for awhile (offseason + start of the season) there were tonnes of people predicting that this would finally be the Caps' year.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 06:00 PM
canada eh

backstrom is sick for those who think he's underrated

caps realistically have pretty good d-core, mike green just hasnt been the offensive catalyst he used to be

they have alot of options for their team, such as moving another of their young goalies for help elsewhere, but i wouldnt count on them signing suter or parise

canada eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 06:05 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
So Aaron Baddeley

Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
They should make semin captain.

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 06:55 PM
Nolanitis

I think the Caps can put together a good team for next year. The coaching position is the key to the season.

Nolanitis is offline   Reply With Quote