HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Does TSN ever have a positive story on the Rangers?

Old
05-14-2012, 06:47 AM
sfox7076

vCash: 500
Does TSN ever have a positive story on the Rangers?

I went to the video section of TSN to see what coverage they had for tonights game. Well, it is all pro Devil. They have a feature on the goalie matchup. All it is is former Islander Jamie McLennan (I ignore that he played 4 games for the Rangers) talking about how Brodeur can beat Hank. No mention of the fact that Hank is a Vezina finalist and an MVP contender. Next is a feature on how the Devils should shoot high to the glove side of Hank and if they do, they can win the series. Another video is how New Jersey's "no name defense" is under valued. The rest is a discussion of the rivalry and the fights... Where is the positive coverage on what the Rangers can do to win? Where are the discussions of holes in Marty's game? Non-existant.

Then I went to NHL.com. Same crap.

I would love to say this is homer mentality from them, but lets be honest, no cares about the Devils, so to me it is a direct slight of the NY team. I don't get it. Why crap all over the eastern conference team remaining with the biggest fan base left? I thought you would want to be balanced in the press.

sfox7076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 07:10 AM
Levitate

They've been playing up the underdog in every series the Rangers have played so far. NBC as well, I got sick of them highlighting Ottawa in the first round.

The "shoot high glove" thing is dumb because most goalies will get beat their a decent amount if you can pick the corner consistently, but it's really hard to do and teams will miss the net a LOT if that's all they try for

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 07:45 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Ignore the idiots. Everyone and their mother had the Caps winning game 7. Those Hockey News guys are the best. After game 3,they criticized Torts for going with a short bench and it would cost him the series. These *******s can't figure out how to ship their issues to US subs in a reasonable time period. Everyone is mad at Torts for not talking to the media. Steve Simmons says Torts should not be US Olympic coach in 2012 because he is rude to the media. Some other a-hole Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun is still mad at Torts because he does give much time to the media. He was mad about Torts not telling McGuire what changes the Rangers made on their PP and he hopes the NYR lose but Brennan hates Lou just as much so he has no one to root for. Damien Cox is complaining about 2-1 games. He gets into the game for free. Tell the editor to assign another reporter and stay home.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:47 AM
Chimp

I agree it's getting rather ridiculous. When I checked the "Devils vs Rangers matchup" on nhl.com, it was ALL Devils. Not one single word about the Rangers. It was 5 minutes raving about one team. Great non-partial, professional analysis, chumps. Or, some schmucks don't know how to write a proper headline.

And now we're stuck with Devils Doc being a "non-partial" commentator, Flyer Keith Jones and "I hate the Rangers" Milbury in a Devils vs Rangers matchup. Great cast for the mute button.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Crease

The Rangers are to Canada what the Yankees are to the rest of America.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:10 AM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

Perhaps my ambivalence to this type of press/analysis stems from my disdain for the over-analysis of sporting events (especially the two weeks of Super Bowl coverage before the game) and sports talk radio, but in my opinion the only thing that matters is the result on the ice. As long as the Rangers continue to succeed, I don't care about the opinions of former players, analysts or writers. Their opinions are no more valid or justifed than anyone else. Who cares about the press? Tortorella having this team prepared and their actions on the ice are all that matters.

With that being said, LET'S GO RANGERS!!!

MortUWary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:15 AM
tomobson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortUWary View Post
Perhaps my ambivalence to this type of press/analysis stems from my disdain for the over-analysis of sporting events (especially the two weeks of Super Bowl coverage before the game) and sports talk radio, but in my opinion the only thing that matters is the result on the ice. As long as the Rangers continue to succeed, I don't care about the opinions of former players, analysts or writers. Their opinions are no more valid or justifed than anyone else. Who cares about the press? Tortorella having this team prepared and their actions on the ice are all that matters.

This. Who cares what these hacks have to say.

tomobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:20 AM
evilllempire*

Send a message via AIM to evilllempire*
Quote:

absolutely.......let's just go out and play our game and play it hard. Good things happen for us when we do that. L-G-R!!!

evilllempire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:43 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
If you haven't noticed, as the most American team in hockey, we haven't been getting a lot of support from our neighbor from the north.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:13 AM
rangers5000

im canadian, born in bc, but far enough away from vancouver they were never really my team, i think i was the only one cheering for the rangers in 94 here

the american/canada thing is laughable, how fans buy into this is beyond me, every nhl team has canadians on it, so what if 1 team has 2 or 3 more americans on it

hell the bruins had more canadians than the canucks last year, yet the canadian media was telling us cheer for canucks

i respect the fact new york plays a tough style, callahan and giradi are great players, i could care less if there canadian or american

rangers5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Levitate

If there's any Canadian bias against the Rangers it's because they beat Ottawa this year and the Sens were the last Canadian team to have a chance by the time the Rangers eliminated them

But I still think it's just the "underdog" thing

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark11 View Post
im canadian, born in bc, but far enough away from vancouver they were never really my team, i think i was the only one cheering for the rangers in 94 here

the american/canada thing is laughable, how fans buy into this is beyond me, every nhl team has canadians on it, so what if 1 team has 2 or 3 more americans on it

hell the bruins had more canadians than the canucks last year, yet the canadian media was telling us cheer for canucks

i respect the fact new york plays a tough style, callahan and giradi are great players, i could care less if there canadian or american
It may be laughable to you. But if you read the blogs, they are littered with Canadians who position their thoughts based on Canadian players and Canadian teams. I cannot tell you how many times I read "Now that there are no Canadian teams left I don't care who wins and I'm not going to watch". And you also read often pride specifically attached to a player because he is Canadian. We do the same things with Americans. But, laughable it is not. It is real and it is common.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:37 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Aside from just wanting to win it all because I'm a fan.

I want the Rangers to win it all to send a big F&%K You! to the NHL, TSN, NBC and all the pundits that didn't give them the time of day.

The Rangers gave you an interesting summer through the Brad Richards saga.

The Rangers made a brutally boring Trade Deadline interesting with their late push for Nash.

Now, when they are continuing to be one of the best teams in the league a month into the PO's, these D-Bags at the NHL, TSN and NBC give the Broadway Blueshirts no love?

Fudge You, mother-Fudgers.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:51 AM
eco's bones

It's funny our last preseason game against EV Zug of the Swiss league--we gave up 8 goals.

The most any team has scored on us since is 5. That's happened 3 times and one of those times the 5th goal was a shootout. That's 96 games and some people keep insisting we have an overrated defense. Okay. And now New Jersey's forecheck is going to eviscerate us--they're going to score tons and maybe that will happen--I don't know but they'll be setting some precedents if they do start scoring on us at will. It shows though that the Rangers do stick to their system and go about doing their business the same every night.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:22 PM
turcotte8

Here's another article by the great Ken Campbell

"Rangers shot-blocking mentality bad for NHL"

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...d-for-NHL.html

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
The Rangers are to Canada what the Yankees are to the rest of America.
Except the Rangers don't win on average a championship every four years, so I don't understand the Rangers hate whereas I understand the Yankees hate.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:01 PM
FakeKidPoker*

TSN is basically a joke network

For hockey coverage in Canada just to stick to CBC

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:37 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
Here's another article by the great Ken Campbell

"Rangers shot-blocking mentality bad for NHL"

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...d-for-NHL.html
Wow thank you for that. Just made my day.

Truly one of the worst articles I've ever read. Embarrassing.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:55 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

i lov this shigty

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:30 PM
Onion Boy

I love it.

The Rangers have been taking a giant crap all over the league/media since the Winter Classic. Keep it going.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:24 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:

This.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:29 PM
stan the caddy

I love how they talk like shooting above Hank's shoulders while he's in the butterfly is a weakness that only he has.

That's like saying Tom Brady's weakness is being sacked. No ****!!!

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Cmox

Did anyone point out the fact that Jamie McLennan was Hextall's back up in 94?

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:02 PM
rangers5000

here we go, now that the rangers are winning instead of giving them there due, now its "there ruining the game with there style"

i wonder if this was toronto instead of new york, do you think the toronto media, lets face it sportsnet/cbc/tsn all toronto based, do you think if toronto won the cup with the same style they would say the same thing

they would not only brag 24/7 but they would go so over the top, hell toronto wins 1 round and they act like they win the cup

hockeycentral i watch sometimes, kypreos is the only one that gives rangers respect, after a ranger loss they praise the other team, rangers win they will lead off with another story and spend very little time with it, and they belittle them acting like it was a fluke

rangers5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:23 PM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 50
Hey, not all of Canada hates the Rangers! I know quite a few people that are Rangers fans or have hopped on the bandwagon recently. Including quite a few Bruins fans actually. Most of the Bruins fans that I know personally really want the Rangers to win it all now.

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote