HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

What does a Bronze medal in hockey mean to you?

Old
05-16-2012, 06:33 AM
PJM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
.... seems about as legit as the World Hockey Championships that are on during the Playoffs that REALLY count.
Since you think the current timing of the WHC is so poor you probably have though it and found a better solution. So, if you were the IIHF when would you have the WHC?

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:07 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
Road Ice Advantage

vCash: 1068
Can we have one thread where Canadians don't come and thrash WC, please?

For me, bronze is a nice reward from the tournament. I'm happy if my team wins bronze, but if they lose, I wont be that angry.

Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:11 AM
dan1el

It means that you came in third place.

dan1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:23 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post

For me, bronze is a nice reward from the tournament. I'm happy if my team wins bronze, but if they lose, I wont be that angry.
Of course not, what if they say that the WHC actually matters and they don't win?

Romang67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:28 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
Road Ice Advantage

vCash: 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Of course not, what if they say that the WHC actually matters and they don't win?
You're right, that would be a catastrophe for them

Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:29 AM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post

exactly. If somebody doesn't give a ****, why would he even come this board? It starts to be annoying.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:43 AM
begbeee

1) They win gold: Oh Canada is superpower, which wins no matter what.
2) They don't win gold: WC is crappy tournament noone is interesting in it

Fact is, I do believe even if Canada ice they best possible roster they wouldn't win this tournament always. Actually it's becoming pretty hard for them to win it. So they bring crap here.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:11 AM
RorschachWJK

A medal is a medal. Of course a bronze means a lot! Obviously less than a gold or silver but heck of a lot more than 4th or 5th place.

RorschachWJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
1) They win gold: Oh Canada is superpower, which wins no matter what.
2) They don't win gold: WC is crappy tournament noone is interesting in it

Fact is, I do believe even if Canada ice they best possible roster they wouldn't win this tournament always. Actually it's becoming pretty hard for them to win it. So they bring crap here.
Probably the up for dumbest comment of the year award.

Canada has won 2 of the last 3 Best on Best tournaments that actually mean anything. You'd think that if we actually sent our best players to the Worlds that trend might continue.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:26 AM
begbeee

Quote:
Canada has won 2 of the last 3 Best on Best tournaments that actually mean anything. You'd think that if we actually sent our best players to the Worlds that trend might continue.
Canada has won 2 of the last 4 best on best tournaments. That shows you don't win everything by default. And you send your best players to the worlds - best available. Just like every other country. You cant win everything with your B, C, D...Z team against another B, C, D,...Z team of other countries. Just like you can't win everything even with your A-team.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:30 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Bronze medal means failure.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Quote:
Canada has won 2 of the last 4 best on best tournaments. That shows you don't win everything by default. And you send your best players to the worlds - best available. Just like every other country. You cant win everything with your B, C, D...Z team against another B, C, D,...Z team of other countries. Just like you can't win everything even with your A-team.
Many of our BEST available.... DIDN'T COME to these worlds. They chose not to simply because the Worlds are simply NOT IMPORTANT.

Why is it so difficult for you to comprehend the fact that the World Championships of hockey mean VERY LITTLE to Canada. Both the Players and the Fans care far less for this championship than they do the Stanley Cup or the Olympics. We have trouble every year trying to convince our top players to go, however in Europe the Worlds are looked at as being important so their players are more inclined to actually going.

The best player in the world, by a MILE, didn't want to come to the worlds. Why? Because as he stated, it was more important to him to get a full offseason of training in to be ready for the NHL next season than it was to go play in the Worlds.

There is a very good chance that at least HALF of the players playing for Canada right now, would NOT make the Olympic Roster.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Lux Aurumque*

All bronze means to me is failure.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Doshell Propivo

Couple of thoughts:

1. Pros in the Olympics are as much of a "contrived corporate" idea as anything the NHL has ever done (including the glowing puck). Not saying I agree or disagree with having NHLers participate in the Games but to think that it is somehow more pure than the NHL is being naive.

2. The World Championships always took place after every league (including the NHL) finished their season. The NHL has steadily increased it's schedule resulting in the playoffs and WC overlapping. Suggesting that the IIHF should adapt to the NHL may be a bit arrogant on the NHL's part, but to somehow put the blame on the IIHF is just plain insulting.

3. I can only speak for myself but as a hockey fan, I much rather prefer the Stanley Cup playoffs to the World Championships. The quality of play is not even close. Flipping between PO and WC it is remarkable how (to me anyway) much more entertaining the NHL is.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 02:02 PM
irunthepeg
#whiteout

vCash: 50
I agree with one of the early posts in the thread in that I'd rather win bronze than lose and get silver. Regardless of the fact that I'd rather win gold overall, bronze at least means you won your medal and didn't get a "Gold star for effort" prize. I almost think that after the Gold medal game and the "Bronze medal game" the loser of the gold game and winner of the bronze game should face off for silver and the loser of that gets bronze. That way, you're winning silver, nobody gives a care about bronze and we (the fans) get to see another game of hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Bronze for a team like Norway and Canada is great (in the last few years). For Russia, Sweden for example it would be OK, but generally dissapointing.
Protip: Google "Vancouver 2010 Olympics"

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 02:33 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordUp View Post
I agree with one of the early posts in the thread in that I'd rather win bronze than lose and get silver.

I remember reading about a study done a while back about perception on the part of the athletes re:medals.

Those who won the bronze were MUCH happier than those who got the silver. Bronze meant that that they could easily have gone home without a medal at all, so bronze was a good thing. The silver medalists looked at it as a failure to win the gold, so it was a negative thing.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post
Couple of thoughts:

1. Pros in the Olympics are as much of a "contrived corporate" idea as anything the NHL has ever done (including the glowing puck). Not saying I agree or disagree with having NHLers participate in the Games but to think that it is somehow more pure than the NHL is being naive.

So do national teams get moved and rebranded? Do players sign free agent deals with other countries? Do players represent their cities?

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Zuluss

Quote:
The best player in the world, by a MILE, didn't want to come to the worlds. Why? Because as he stated, it was more important to him to get a full offseason of training in to be ready for the NHL next season than it was to go play in the Worlds.
I was hearing that the best player in the world did show up and he is currently the best player of the tournament.

Zuluss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Zuluss

A medal is a medal, winning bronze is way better than finishing fourth. Getting a win after a disappointing loss in the semis feels good.
Silver to me is marginally better than bronze. Yes, losing the finals hurts, but at least you had a shot.
Gold, of course, is way better than anything.

As for how many silvers and bronzes are as good as a gold, it is definitely a finite number. Probably not that large too. Something like 2 silvers and 2 bronzes, especially in consecutive years, seem to be as good as one miracle run to the gold and losing in the quarters for several years.

Zuluss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:38 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
Canada has won 2 of the last 4 best on best tournaments.
02 olympics, 04 world cup, 2010 olympics... only one in that span they didn't win was the 06 olympics.... say what you will about the importance of the world cup but it was still best on best and winning 3 of the last 4 best on best tournaments does say an awful lot.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
exactly. If somebody doesn't give a ****, why would he even come this board? It starts to be annoying.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:40 PM
teris

It means a happy ending to the tournament to me as a Finn. Hardly anyone outside Finland would rank us third in a tournament beforehand. At least we get to end the tournament after a win.

But right now, since it's been a few years and the wounds have healed, I do prefer the silver medal in the 2007 Worlds over the bronze medal in 2008, despite how it was the opposite right after those tournaments. Just because of winning the last game. The bronze medal is to be enjoyed for that moment, unless you're France or something.

The bronze medal game suits the Olympics and the World Championships, but I also don't mind the absence of it in the World Cup. I bet Switzerland, Germany or Latvia would be absolutely delighted to win bronze and I really hope that happens soon again.

On another note, I'm not sure if it's the same in other European leagues, but the SM-liiga and the lower leagues in Finland, in my opinion, really need to get rid of the bronze medal game. It's just not suited for league games.

teris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:46 PM
weetabix

Bronze is good achievement. Since you really don't want to lose that game.

What comes to best-of-the-best tournaments, that's only happens in fantasy leagues. Take any given day/year/tournament there is never all best-of-the-best players present.

Also winning tends to be affected a lot depending what size the ice-rink is. Bigger playing arena is better for me, since even if i love good hits I prefer more "complicated" team play over more "direct" personal skilled play.

weetabix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
In the Olympics: A positive, though short of what we aspire for.
In the Worlds: Absolutely nothing.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
02 olympics, 04 world cup, 2010 olympics... only one in that span they didn't win was the 06 olympics.... say what you will about the importance of the world cup but it was still best on best and winning 3 of the last 4 best on best tournaments does say an awful lot.
Mostly that they struggle outside of north America.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote