HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

What does a Bronze medal in hockey mean to you?

Old
05-18-2012, 05:52 AM
Shoalzie

vCash: 500
Considering there are more than 3 really good hockey nations...any medal is an accomplishment. I'd like to see Team USA win gold again at some point...they've got the talent to contend.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:37 AM
Justinov

Well it is pretty obvious that winning a bronze medal in WC don't really mean anything (or only a little) to the top 6 nations. Slovaks might be very happy for a bronze (right?), and for all the other nations it would be like a major national event if they accomplished it.
If Swiss, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Latvia, Belarus, France managed to get one it would mean a huge boost!
Germany and Belarus got 4'th places in recent times, but otherwise we have to go back to 1953.....outside of big-7).

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:26 AM
begbeee

Yes. Slovaks would be happy. I'm just curious about Suomi. They have 2 gold from WC, are they so used to bronze and silver that they don't care?

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:36 AM
roto

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
Yes. Slovaks would be happy. I'm just curious about Suomi. They have 2 gold from WC, are they so used to bronze and silver that they don't care?
Some posters mix things a bit. As I wrote before there are at least two sides in this matter: players and fans. I've seen a lot of WHC tournaments and don't remember bronze team which hasn't been happy for their medals. It's what matters the most. If players care, then it's good to have bronze medal game.

If fans don't care it's their problem. Fans are not playing, they don't get the medals so they don't need to worry where to put those things. As a Finn, bronze medal doesn't make me crazy but pleased in some way. I see it as a positive way to finish the tournament.

roto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:44 AM
questhockey

Stanley cup for NJ, and Gold for Canada is what matters to me. WC not so much.

questhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 06:57 PM
Canuck21t

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombombadil View Post
Same thing with the WC's. Canada lost, now it's a pointless tourney again - around these boards, around the mill, and on the streets, and at the pool. I just read Getzlaf's words regarding the penalty call that cost the game. He cares. A lot. In Canada, the athletes care. A lot. As much as the Welsh do for rugby. They take the hits, from Canadians, Amercians, and Euros. They sweat, and bleed, and drive the net. They block the shots. They feel the pain of losing. In Canada, the fans do not. We make excuses, make false claims, and in the case of 2006, when there wasn't one call to blame it all on, or one team to call lucky - then we do the most shameful thing of all - we **** all over the men who didn't take a break to be with their families. Who went and threw on the most important sweater they will ever wear, for free, with pride, and worry, and physical work and pain. Then they fail, only in terms of hockey scoreboards, and we cut ties with them, disown them, call them overpaid losers. Funny, even in that, we don't give credit to the teams that beat them.
Gee Einstein, really? Nobody is saying the players who participate don't care. Of course they care, else they'd be on the golf court instead.

Canuck21t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:24 AM
SirKillalot

Well. It does look like bronze means a lot for Czech Republic.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:26 AM
YARR123

Finland lost the bronze game and I'm really pissed off so I guess it means something

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote