HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vancouver/CBJ

Old
05-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Scurr

vCash: 500
Vancouver/CBJ

Corey Schneider, David Booth, Jordan Schroeder for Rick Nash

The Bluejackets get a young franchise goalie, replacement for Nash and a young player that's ready to make the jump this year or next. It seems to have been a nice fit in Columbus with JJ being an American from not too far away from there, the same applies to these guys.

Vancouver gets bigger and adds scoring in one move. Schneider and Schroeder are a lot to give up for an upgrade on Booth, Nash will have to produce at a high pace to make it worth it. I think he does that on a contender, playing with some pretty good players.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
For the eleventy billionth time, we're hoping to address goaltending through more cost-effective means than a Rick Nash trade. Like, y'know, in free agency. Or by trading a draft pick.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:16 PM
bikesbikesbikes

Nash is overrated and Howson thinks he's worth more than he is. Any deal would start with Edler+, which would be overpayment in my books.

bikesbikesbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:20 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post

The Bluejackets get a young franchise goalie, replacement for Nash and a young player that's ready to make the jump this year or next. It seems to have been a nice fit in Columbus with JJ being an American from not too far away from there, the same applies to these guys.

Vancouver gets bigger and adds scoring in one move. Schneider and Schroeder are a lot to give up for an upgrade on Booth, Nash will have to produce at a high pace to make it worth it. I think he does that on a contender, playing with some pretty good players.
who else gets dumped to afford Nash's huge contract?
no thanks

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Quote:

I wouldn't trade Cory Schneider straight up for Nash at this point, and I'm a HUGE Nash fan, but his contract is way to high. We'd have to trade Schneider to get him, and then trade Luongo just to be able to put him in under the cap.

No thanks.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:31 PM
blankall

Quote:

Booth has no real value with his contract and production over the last 2 years. You could pick up a player like that on free agency for free.

So basically it becomes:

Nash
and his contract

for

Schroeder + Schneider
and Booths contract

Doesn't really help Columbus all that much as Schneider becomes a UFA, in one year and may not want to stay with a rebuilding team like Columbus. He'd be better off playing the FA market and signign with a contender in a year.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:41 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
For the eleventy billionth time, we're hoping to address goaltending through more cost-effective means than a Rick Nash trade. Like, y'know, in free agency. Or by trading a draft pick.
Then what are you expecting to get back for Nash?

crazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:47 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Then what are you expecting to get back for Nash?
Rumour is they've already turned down an offer of Erixon, 1st rounder, top prospect, and Del Zotto. So add to that.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Scurr

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Samuel Pahlsson ($2.050m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Dale Weise ($0.666m) / Andrew Ebbett ($0.625m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Matt Niskanen ($2.550m)
Marc-Andre Gragnani ($0.605m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Aaron Rome ($1.350m)
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Eddie Lack ($0.960m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,508,833; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $791,167

That's how I fit it cap wise, for those interested.

David Booth has been a 20+ goal, 40+ point guy over the last two seasons. If anyone thinks Columbus is going to get a better player to come there in FA for less then Booth makes, they are kidding themselves.

IMO, these are the kinds of players Columbus needs. Guys that are hard working, good teammates and should be happy playing there. Like I said in the OP, Columbus is onto something with the JJ trade. They need to find more guys like that, guys that can get excited about playing in that part of the country. I think those guys fit the bill.

Old
05-15-2012, 01:51 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Rumour is they've already turned down an offer of Erixon, 1st rounder, top prospect, and Del Zotto. So add to that.
Ridiculous, if Howson thinks he's gonna get better than that he needs to get his head out of the sand. Nash is good and but not that good and his contract is big.

crazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:55 PM
mstad101

Too much for Vancouver to afford to deal. Would they love Nash, who wouldn't?

But Vancouver is slim on prospect depth, and we can't deal 2 of our better trading chips and a guy we just acquired for someone making too much money for his production.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:57 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Samuel Pahlsson ($2.050m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Dale Weise ($0.666m) / Andrew Ebbett ($0.625m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Matt Niskanen ($2.550m)
Marc-Andre Gragnani ($0.605m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Aaron Rome ($1.350m)
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Eddie Lack ($0.960m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,508,833; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $791,167

That's how I fit it cap wise, for those interested.

David Booth has been a 20+ goal, 40+ point guy over the last two seasons. If anyone thinks Columbus is going to get a better player to come there in FA for less then Booth makes, they are kidding themselves.

IMO, these are the kinds of players Columbus needs. Guys that are hard working, good teammates and should be happy playing there. Like I said in the OP, Columbus is onto something with the JJ trade. They need to find more guys like that, guys that can get excited about playing in that part of the country. I think those guys fit the bill.
How do Matt Niskanen and Travis Moen randomly end up on the Canucks?

05-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
No kidding. Niskanen was great for the Pens this year... Martin gets moved before Niskanen does.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I traded Raymond+ for Niskanen and signed Moen as a FA.

It doesn't really matter. Lets not get into a debate about that trade. The cap is set low and it was just to show how we could fit the salary in.

Old
05-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
who else gets dumped to afford Nash's huge contract?
no thanks
I'd expect Schneider to have at least a 3 million dollar cap hit on the new contract, so there would be minimal difference between the cap hits on each side.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:16 PM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Source? Del Zotto wasn't in the rumored offer that I saw. If he was, I think it would've been a done deal.

GoJackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Riptide

Quote:
I traded Raymond+ for Niskanen and signed Moen as a FA.

It doesn't really matter. Lets not get into a debate about that trade. The cap is set low and it was just to show how we could fit the salary in.
lol, sure. And what happens next year when Burrows and Edler need raises? As much as I dislike Vancouver, you have to admire their cap management (as well as Bostons). There's very few bad contracts.

And as much as I'd like Nash on my team, his contract/cap hit blows. There's no guarantee that the cap will continue to go up. The teams that can afford Nash are those with no major contracts on the books. There's no reason for Vancouver to go after Nash. You have a top line, fill in around it and you'll be fine. Or if you don't think the Sedins can get you a cup, then go in a different direction.

Old
05-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
Source? Del Zotto wasn't in the rumored offer that I saw. If he was, I think it would've been a done deal.
Del Zotto was the sticking point if I remember correctly. CBJ wanted him, and Sather said not a chance, and things broke down.

Old
05-15-2012, 02:37 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
The offer I recall was Erixon(flight risk), 1st rounder(late),J.T. Miller(underwhelming) and maybe Christian Thomas but I don't even think he was involved.

So basically, NYR said you can have alot of Rangers second tier prospects for Nash, and Columbus said nice try.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Del Zotto was the sticking point if I remember correctly. CBJ wanted him, and Sather said not a chance, and things broke down.
Yes. And I don't remember the "top prospect" (e.g., Krieder) being included either.

I thought it was Dubinsky, Erixon, Thomas, and a 1st.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Yes. And I don't remember the "top prospect" (e.g., Krieder) being included either.

Yeah that was what was rumored to have been turned down.

Howson's asking price was Kreider/Stepan + McD/MDZ + Dubinsky + 1st. The thought is that he doesn't actually want to trade Nash and is just asking for the moon or will otherwise keep him.

I really do not want to use Nash or the 2nd overall to get a goalie back as the main piece. Really do not want that.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:44 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Yeah that was what was rumored to have been turned down.

Howson's asking price was Kreider/Stepan + McD/MDZ + Dubinsky + 1st. The thought is that he doesn't actually want to trade Nash and is just asking for the moon or will otherwise keep him.
That is what it seemed like.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
lol, sure. And what happens next year when Burrows and Edler need raises? As much as I dislike Vancouver, you have to admire their cap management (as well as Bostons). There's very few bad contracts.

And as much as I'd like Nash on my team, his contract/cap hit blows. There's no guarantee that the cap will continue to go up. The teams that can afford Nash are those with no major contracts on the books. There's no reason for Vancouver to go after Nash. You have a top line, fill in around it and you'll be fine. Or if you don't think the Sedins can get you a cup, then go in a different direction.
Insanely concise and insightful comment, considering its a team you hate

If it was a powerfoward we needed, I would express interest in pursuing Nash. Even a sniper, or just a shoot first guy. Truth be told, we have someone that has equalled Nash's goal totals in one season that we are trying to build a second line around, and he needs a playmaker.

This is not to say I haven't any interest in Nash, but there is no reason for the Canucks to detonate their team or future for him if thats the asking price, when, contract considered, it would really potentially hurt us in the future (ie salary comparisons from the Sedins/Kesler).

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
That is what it seemed like.
Meh. I guess. On the other hand, I don't think that's a particularly strong offer from the Rangers either--a middle-six forward, a defensive prospect that projects to maybe a 3/4 defenseman, a small, boom-bust winger, and a very late 1st in a mediocre draft.

I'm not a Blue Jackets fan, but I think that would have been a pretty tough deal to accept. I don't blame Howson for holding out for one blue-chipper (Krider, Stepan, McD), though I don't think he can expect to get two.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Um, no. We insisted on Del Zotto and the Rangers told us no. The offer that was rumored to be turned down was basically a series of quality prospects we already have bunches of, a late 1st, and Brandon Dubinsky.

Quote:

They threw in J.T. Miller as well.

Quote:
Meh. I guess. On the other hand, I don't think that's a particularly strong offer from the Rangers either--a middle-six forward, a defensive prospect that projects to maybe a 3/4 defenseman, a small, boom-bust winger, and a very late 1st in a mediocre draft.
Especially considering that we already have four or five similar defense prospects and three similar small boom-bust wingers...

As I've said elsewhere, it could only have been more ludicrous if they'd also offered to throw in another injured backup goaltender.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote