HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

pre season(a little early I know)

Old
05-16-2012, 12:35 AM
Rexy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Well, no...but since you're from Ontario I'll pretend you do so we can be Hawks board friends.

The fact you specified "Ontario" makes me know deep inside that you're not from Toronto...which makes you suspect. But until someone from Toronto turns up we're still friends.
I'm from Scarborough. Recently moved to London though.

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:36 AM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
wrigley is a dump. My finest memory as a chicago sports fan was going to a cubs game where fielder hit two home runs and chanting "curtain call" while sitting in the 10 row behind third. So many buttsore cubs fans.
Finest memory as a Chicago sports fan? Man this is the typical Sox fan who cares more about the Cubs losing than the Sox winning...

committedindian86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:37 AM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelugasandBHawks View Post
Wrigley Field, not at all impressed. I mean, come on, horse troughs for urinals? And the ivy-covered outfield wall and the W flag are both just incredibly tacky. However, US Cellular is an incredibly walkable and fan-friendly park. Open concourses and it's always easy to find your way back to your seat. It's a shame not that many people enjoy it each night.
Ivy covered wall tacky? Have you looked at the batters eye at the cell? It's ivy... Wonder where they got that idea from?...

committedindian86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
i'm glad you guys are hawks fans, but just wondering, how come you don't like the leafs?

and i gotta say, toronto is an amazing city
when you grow up in Toronto, you are either a Leafs fan, or you ****ing HATE them since they are constantly shoved down your throat.

I hate them, the stupid team, the idiot fanbase, I hate everything about them. I probably hate them more than the Canucks to be honest with you.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:39 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
i'm glad you guys are hawks fans, but just wondering, how come you don't like the leafs?

I do like the Leafs...I'm quite fond of the team and I want them to do well. A very hard match up would be the Hawks/Leafs in the Cup final and what team I'd chose...not gonna lie...it would probably be the Leafs. Luckily, the odds of that particular match up happening is slim to none (forget about the play of each team and just look at stats - and it's unlikely).

Living in Toronto, I definitely see more Leafs games than Hawks games.

The reason I like the Hawks isn't b/c I hate the Leafs...and it's not b/c the Hawks won the Cup...it goes back to my own family. My family is Canadian but my aunt moved to Chicago (when she got married) when I was about 7 years old...to age myself, that was in the late 80s. To make a long story short, i ended up becoming a hawks fan b/c i've had family in Chicago (or, for the Chicago snobs, technically it's Lake forest).

going back to the Leafs...you know that Captain Picard facepalm meme? That's how i feel about the team.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:40 AM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
“It's powered by tradition, my friend, something you wouldn't know about at Mobile Phone Park."
Not a Cubs hater or Sox fan or any of that crap, but honestly...tradition of what?

They've never won anything when they played in Wrigley other than a few Pennants.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:47 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
I will not lie, going to a Sox game isn't all that bad. Was there Friday night. 35th Street Red Hots is ****ing legit. So damn good. The tickets are cheap and there are modern amenities at the park. However, the place reeks of sauerkraut. I'm sure some love it, but I hate it. And if anyone agrees with that and tells it to a Sox fan, they'll just say our park smells like piss. That is so far from beyond the truth. Not a bad crowd of good-looking ladies. Maybe it was a good night. Will go to more games on the cheap even as a Cubs fan if there is a consistent amount of those at each game.
Sauerkraut? Place is known for smelling like grilled onions..don't think I've EVER seen sauerkraut in the park.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:53 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by committedindian86 View Post
Ivy covered wall tacky? Have you looked at the batters eye at the cell? It's ivy... Wonder where they got that idea from?...
Probably half the league has some type of plant on their batters eye. Putting it within the field of play is another story.

I got no problem with the ivy. I'd certainly hate to play outfield there and not have any padding on the wall like every other park, though. Just 1 more thing the players shouldn't need to worry about.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:10 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:

sorry, i meant to add...i think chicago is an amazing city, too. i've been going there for more than 20 years (stretching back to when i was a wee girl). i don't spend a ton of time in the US (outside chicago) ... but my fave us cities are Chicago, NY, Boston, and SanFran...and I'd put Chicago first.

For those of you Chicago-ites who've never visited Toronto, you should come here soon...if you like Chicago i think you'd certainly like Toronto. It's smaller than Chicago...but a big north american city...so not too small. We've messed up our waterfront...so it's not like what you guys have done...but compared to chicago our downtown and tourist area is probably the cleanest you'll see in North.Am...and it's full of fun bars, restaurants, and museums!!

Old
05-16-2012, 01:23 AM
TwistedWrister90

toronto is one of the most similar cities to chicago in north america IMO. tall buildings, lakeshore with beaches, lots of finance, world class, the weather, etc. downtown TO is awesome. the hall of fame was my favorite part. went into maple leaf gardens and saw a jays game too. saw niagara falls and that big mall in downtown. forgot the name of it. didn't go to the top of the cn tower though. it's been about ten years but good memories. except for some of the french lol

Last edited by TwistedWrister90: 05-16-2012 at 01:30 AM.
TwistedWrister90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:32 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
toronto is one of the most similar cities to chicago in north america IMO. tall buildings, lakeshore with beaches, lots of finance, world class, the weather, etc. downtown TO is awesome. the hall of fame was my favorite part. went into maple leaf gardens and saw a jays game too. saw niagara falls and that big mall in downtown. forgot the name of it. didn't go to the topof the cn tower though. it's been about ten years but good memories. except for some of the french lol
probably the Eaton Centre.

Yeah...like I said...toronto/chicago have big similarities...Chicago is bigger, has maintained its architecture better, and has maintained its waterfront better. toronto is really a smaller and cleaner version of chicago.

Old
05-16-2012, 01:48 AM
Rexy

Quote:
toronto is one of the most similar cities to chicago in north america IMO. tall buildings, lakeshore with beaches, lots of finance, world class, the weather, etc. downtown TO is awesome. the hall of fame was my favorite part. went into maple leaf gardens and saw a jays game too. saw niagara falls and that big mall in downtown. forgot the name of it. didn't go to the top of the cn tower though. it's been about ten years but good memories. except for some of the french lol
French people in Toronto??

Out of all the languages in Toronto, French is likely the least spoken.

Old
05-16-2012, 02:05 AM
TwistedWrister90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
French people in Toronto??

Out of all the languages in Toronto, French is likely the least spoken.
doesn't mean french speaking people aren't there. in the place i was staying, there were some rude french people fulfilling the stereotype. and compared to chicago, there seems to be quite a few french speaking people in toronto

Last edited by TwistedWrister90: 05-16-2012 at 02:11 AM.
Old
05-16-2012, 02:19 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
doesn't mean french speaking people aren't there. in the place i was staying, there were some rude french people fulfilling the stereotype. and compared to chicago, there seems to be quite a few french speaking people in toronto
you hit a bad hotel. toronto isn't french speaking at all...in fact, the worst francophone experience i've had outside quebec is being stuck with my mom at a condo near Ft. Lauderdale filled with Quebecois (Canadian retirees - franco and anglo - love Florida).

i've lived in toronto my entire life and can assure you there's nothing francophone about toronto at all. if anything, as much as everyone outside toronto hates toronto (kinda similar to ppl hating NYC)...a francophone would hate toronto even more.

Old
05-16-2012, 02:27 AM
TwistedWrister90

fair enough. but you gotta realize, to someone from chicago, toronto seems to have a noticeable, albeit small, amount of french speaking people.

Old
05-16-2012, 02:45 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
fair enough. but you gotta realize, to someone from chicago, toronto seems to have a noticeable, albeit small, amount of french speaking people.
no, again...you hit the wrong spot, unfortunately. and it's too bad you ended up with a bad situation in toronto.

toronto is as francophone as chicago. i've grown up in toronto - lived here my entire life. New Orleans has a more impressive french tradition than does Toronto. While Toronto is an english speaking city if you're concerned about linguistic problems in this city forget about french - you'd want to know cantonese or hindi.

while canada has two official languages, canada is not a francophone country...in fact outside quebec you'll have trouble finding people who know french. not only that...if you spend time with dedicated francophones in quebec you might find they are no fans of toronto (or vancouver).

Last edited by UsernameWasTaken: 05-16-2012 at 02:51 AM.
Old
05-16-2012, 02:56 AM
TwistedWrister90

yeah they must have been tourists. to be fair, in the first post where i mentioned the french, i didn't actually say they were from toronto. appearantly only ~2% of torontonians have french as their first language. which is still a lot more than chicago

Last edited by TwistedWrister90: 05-16-2012 at 03:02 AM.
Old
05-16-2012, 02:59 AM
TwistedWrister90

but who cares though lol. let's talk about the main topic

Old
05-16-2012, 03:11 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
but who cares though lol. let's talk about the main topic
yes, we should. but still...i feel bad that toronto wasn't kind to you...we are very nice people. and take pride on being friendly to visitors!

i promise...next time you come back, unless you have a bad hotel experience, you will find we are just as nice as everyone in chicago - and we all speak english (...and maybe cantonese and hindi).

Old
05-16-2012, 03:23 AM
TwistedWrister90

haha don't even worry about it. besides that one little incident, everyone was great. i'd say toronto is more friendly than chicago for sure. i prolly shouldn't even talk considering how i act when i drive in chicago. my middle finger is used a lot towards bad drivers lol. can't wait to go back to TO though. great city

Last edited by TwistedWrister90: 05-16-2012 at 03:29 AM.
Old
05-16-2012, 03:43 AM
Rexy

Quote:
yes, we should. but still...i feel bad that toronto wasn't kind to you...we are very nice people. and take pride on being friendly to visitors!

i promise...next time you come back, unless you have a bad hotel experience, you will find we are just as nice as everyone in chicago - and we all speak english (...and maybe cantonese and hindi).
lol I guess it's a Toronto thing, since where I'm from in the city (Scarborough) everyone does not speak english lol

Old
05-16-2012, 03:45 AM
Rexy

Quote:
while canada has two official languages, canada is not a francophone country...in fact outside quebec you'll have trouble finding people who know french. not only that...if you spend time with dedicated francophones in quebec you might find they are no fans of toronto (or vancouver).
oh ******* the Quebecois. Bunch of whiners. I'm from an Acadian background, and we have gone through a lot more than the lousy Quebecois (which is why there are more Acadians in Louisiana now then there is in Canada lol

Old
05-16-2012, 07:45 AM
BBH
34|38|61|10|13

Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by committedindian86 View Post
That's the only part I don't like about the Cell. It's just one of those things that brings up bad memories for me. (Don't want to talk about it.) Trees and a waterfall I'm alright with, ivy?

BBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:25 AM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

Quote:
no, again...you hit the wrong spot, unfortunately. and it's too bad you ended up with a bad situation in toronto.

toronto is as francophone as chicago. i've grown up in toronto - lived here my entire life. New Orleans has a more impressive french tradition than does Toronto. While Toronto is an english speaking city if you're concerned about linguistic problems in this city forget about french - you'd want to know cantonese or hindi.

I live in NB and 1/2 of our population is French. But after living all over Canada most people in Ontario think Canada stops at Quebec anyways.

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:27 AM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
oh ******* the Quebecois. Bunch of whiners. I'm from an Acadian background, and we have gone through a lot more than the lousy Quebecois (which is why there are more Acadians in Louisiana now then there is in Canada lol
I take it you have never been to New Brunswick?

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote