HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

"KRONWALLED!" --- Niklas Kronwall with one of the Biggest Hits of the Year!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-15-2012, 10:47 PM
  #51
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps
 
billybudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeYarmond Edison View Post
No.


"Kronwalled" is the same in every language.
Kronwalled: to cheapshot someone then hide like a rat.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:55 PM
  #52
Flowah
#FireHolland
 
Flowah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Kronwalled: to cheapshot someone then hide like a rat.
He might hide, but he's not out there throwing cheapshots.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:41 PM
  #53
RomersWorld*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
Not saying it was a dirty hit but one day someone is gonna make this guy pay.
Mikko Koivu had a pretty sweet hit on him that knocked him on his ace and the Wings lost the game because of the hit.

Also he has paid before by getting repeatedly punched in the head and then he cowardly gets on all fours. It is so weird when it happens. He lays a huge hit and you are like "wow, this guy is tough", then someone fights him and he gets punched in the face a bunch of times but doesn't defend himself. Then you're like "oh, no he isn't".

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:45 PM
  #54
Goalie guy
Registered User
 
Goalie guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Taylor MI
Country: United States
Posts: 958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
This is absolutely not true. Kronwall would prefer to be scored on than receive a check and plays the game with those priorities in mind. On the rare occasion he doesn't have time to give the puck to the opponent so he can get out of the way, he lays on the ice like he's dead.

There's also the bit about hiding between referee's legs when confronted eye to eye, which is his patented move.

I don't really understand why anyone would decide to injure someone on a non-rival club, in a largely decided game against a team that can't beat you and has no future in the tournament. It's completely pointless.

Remember that Cherry rant where he didn't like Torres running a rookie in a meaningless game? This is that, but much worse.
If you are going to play this game at any level above pee-wee than expect it to happen.

Goalie guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:04 AM
  #55
grN1g
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,508
vCash: 500
idc what anyone says, those checks he does should not be allowed.

by league rules right now, yes it is a clean hit.

but if your a fan who respects player safety like me, then you will relize that this particular check is very dangerous. EVERY time he lays this check, the player getting hit is leaning foward with his head/neck the main point of contact. Ya you can argue to keep your head up, but regardless, kronwall himself! knows that everytime he does this the other player is in a very valnurable position, and can be seriously injured. thats just not cool. one of these times hes gonna seriously injure somone with some kind of major neck/spinal damage and ppl are then gonna outlaw this, but unfortunatly someone must suffer a possible career ending injury for it to happen, which is sad.

edit: and just for the record, i love big hits, it makes the game entertaining. I wouldn't mind these hits if he wasn't skating towards him in big strides, and lunging his hip/back into the players heads, KNOWING he can possibly injure someone and just doesnt care. Im all for the same kind of hit, but if the dman stands up to keep the puck in or w.e, but not krownwalls version.


Last edited by grN1g: 05-16-2012 at 12:10 AM.
grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:11 AM
  #56
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 32,122
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I'm not a Detroit fan or a fan of Kronwall, but the hits are awesome. That's what hockey is about. Keep your freaking head up coming out of the zone and Kronwall stops making hits like that because 2 on 1's would be ubiquitous

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:23 AM
  #57
Tomas W
Registered User
 
Tomas W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,658
vCash: 500
There is a time and a place for these predatory hits, and this wasnt one of them. Save your big hits for the final stages Kronwall!

Of course though, never bad I guess to have a bit of a rep going into the QF, maybe the Czechs will hesitate when starting a rush from there.


Last edited by Tomas W: 05-16-2012 at 01:28 AM.
Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 02:01 AM
  #58
fredligh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iceland
Posts: 553
vCash: 500
Ofc the finns think it was dirty. The league in Finland is close to figure skating in term of physical play.

fredligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 02:04 AM
  #59
duul
Registered User
 
duul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 50
Funny thing, a defenceman in my league is well known for throwing the same sort of hit. One of our guys last year did the exact same thing as the Latvian player here but knew the defenceman would be coming, so he crosschecked him as hard as he could in the back.

Didn't see him try to throw another hit like that against us the rest of the year.

duul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 02:50 AM
  #60
Jocke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
The guy he flattened plays in the Belorussian league, he's probably not as familiar with Kronwall's antics as other guys, besides it's a meaningless game in the preliminary round so he probably didn't figure that someone would try to concuss him like that
Poor Latvians. They would never do anything to hurt a player in a "meaningless" game

Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 02:57 AM
  #61
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps
 
billybudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
Poor Latvians. They would never do anything to hurt a player in a "meaningless" game
I'm a big Karlsson fan, but I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to prove. Karlsson taunted the guy and the guy tried to fight him. That's sort of the point of taunting someone.

Don't see what relevance this has to an NHL player trying to end the career of an amateur in a meaningless, decided, glorified exhibition game for no reason whatsoever.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:01 AM
  #62
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps
 
billybudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
He might hide, but he's not out there throwing cheapshots.
Of course he is. Just because this hit's non-suspendable according to NHL rules doesn't mean it's not cheap.

Marc Savard isn't sitting in a dark room because Matt Cooke did something illegal to him. He's sitting in a dark room because Cooke caught him with a cheapshot, though.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:05 AM
  #63
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
I don't really understand why anyone would decide to injure someone on a non-rival club, in a largely decided game against a team that can't beat you and has no future in the tournament. It's completely pointless.

Remember that Cherry rant where he didn't like Torres running a rookie in a meaningless game? This is that, but much worse.
Ah, come on.

This is a hockey hit all the way. The main impact hits the Latvian player in the stomach.

Look, of course I am biased. I kind of get your point. I remember being half-upset for Big E almost killing a Japanese player in the 98's Olympics during the second period when Canada was up like 6-0.

With all due respect, but if you had played the game you would have known the diffrence between Torres hit and Kronwalls hit.

-There is a few areas on the ice where a player must keep his head up if he have the puck.

-A defensemen must take the body if he stands up a player, if not, that player will get a breakaway/odd man rush.

If anything, I think Kronwall actually saves players health.

He reminds people to keep their heads up. And his hits are always clean and he never headhunts, so the damage he does is never that severe.

I know many finns hate him because he hit Teemu S. But...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:05 AM
  #64
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps
 
billybudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
Funny thing, a defenceman in my league is well known for throwing the same sort of hit. One of our guys last year did the exact same thing as the Latvian player here but knew the defenceman would be coming, so he crosschecked him as hard as he could in the back.

Didn't see him try to throw another hit like that against us the rest of the year.
This doesn't apply to beerleague, but all you have to do is drop your upper-body forward to waist height. See what Kronwall thinks about the way he plays when he's put himself in a neck-brace instead of the other guy. Guarantee he'll never do it again if he skates another shift.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:09 AM
  #65
Jocke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
I'm a big Karlsson fan, but I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to prove. Karlsson taunted the guy and the guy tried to fight him. That's sort of the point of taunting someone.

Don't see what relevance this has to an NHL player trying to end the career of an amateur in a meaningless, decided, glorified exhibition game for no reason whatsoever.
Tried to fight him? If you want to fight someone you make sure both are ready, drop your gloves and go. That guy jumped Karlsson, which is why he got a 5+20 and Karlsson could skate back to his bench.

Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:16 AM
  #66
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps
 
billybudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Ah, come on.

This is a hockey hit all the way. The main impact hits the Latvian player in the stomach.

Look, of course I am biased. I kind of get your point. I remember being half-upset for Big E almost killing a Japanese player in the 98's Olympics during the second period when Canada was up like 6-0.

With all due respect, but if you had played the game you would have known the diffrence between Torres hit and Kronwalls hit.

-There is a few areas on the ice where a player must keep his head up if he have the puck.

-A defensemen must take the body if he stands up a player, if not, that player will get a breakaway/odd man rush.

If anything, I think Kronwall actually saves players health.

He reminds people to keep their heads up. And his hits are always clean and he never headhunts, so the damage he does is never that severe.
What twisted logic. Kronwall is showing consideration by trying to injure amateurs on purpose in meaningless games for the sin of not having NHL hockey sense.

Then what you're telling me is that unless a defenseman abandons his position in the neutral zone to fly at a forward who's not his responsibility at that moment there will be a breakaway. This makes absolutely zero sense. If anything, an odd-man break is more likely playing him this way (probably one reason why the puck's in the net so much more often when Kronwall's on the ice than when any other Red Wing defenseman is).

Which Torres hit? The one on Eberle? Most of Kronwall's hits from a few years ago are far worse because he's taking 6 strides and leaping at the jaw with an extended elbow pad. Torres glided into eberle's head. That's not nearly as cheap as what Kronwall did to, I think, bonk.

Now, no. He hasn't done anything as dangerous as what Torres did to Hossa in quite a while.

But that's a completely separate issue.

Cherry's point on the Eberle hit is you don't run a guy who doesn't know any better in a pointless game just out of common human decency. This latvian knows less well and this game was more pointless.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:17 AM
  #67
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps
 
billybudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
Tried to fight him? If you want to fight someone you make sure both are ready, drop your gloves and go. That guy jumped Karlsson, which is why he got a 5+20 and Karlsson could skate back to his bench.
See the first clip before the break? That's Karlsson saying he's ready to fight whenever.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:48 AM
  #68
Dosing
Registered User
 
Dosing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ivösjön
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
What twisted logic. Kronwall is showing consideration by trying to injure amateurs on purpose in meaningless games for the sin of not having NHL hockey sense.

Then what you're telling me is that unless a defenseman abandons his position in the neutral zone to fly at a forward who's not his responsibility at that moment there will be a breakaway. This makes absolutely zero sense. If anything, an odd-man break is more likely playing him this way (probably one reason why the puck's in the net so much more often when Kronwall's on the ice than when any other Red Wing defenseman is).

Which Torres hit? The one on Eberle? Most of Kronwall's hits from a few years ago are far worse because he's taking 6 strides and leaping at the jaw with an extended elbow pad. Torres glided into eberle's head. That's not nearly as cheap as what Kronwall did to, I think, bonk.

Now, no. He hasn't done anything as dangerous as what Torres did to Hossa in quite a while.

But that's a completely separate issue.

Cherry's point on the Eberle hit is you don't run a guy who doesn't know any better in a pointless game just out of common human decency. This latvian knows less well and this game was more pointless.
Might not wants don cherry and human decency in the same sentence when you round up your argument and the only reason he does these hits is to get under opposing teams skin and make them take dumb penalties, not prove he's a "tough guy"
Also doing this even when it doesn't matter at this level is only good as he gets himself in the right mindset for quarters.

Dosing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:54 AM
  #69
LiveeviL
No unique points
 
LiveeviL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jämtland, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,370
vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
This doesn't apply to beerleague, but all you have to do is drop your upper-body forward to waist height. See what Kronwall thinks about the way he plays when he's put himself in a neck-brace instead of the other guy. Guarantee he'll never do it again if he skates another shift.
Yes lets see what Kronwall does. He will continue to hit these legal wonderful hits all of his career and exactly that is why he is a millionaire.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:08 AM
  #70
Exique*
Classless Senatroll
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country:
Posts: 322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I don't care if it's clean, it's just bad form in a game like that. Latvia isn't going to the QF, Sweden is. Just play it out with the intensity the scenario warrants. Do you want to put a guy in hospital in a game like that?

No need for punishment, I just think it's not what a good guy would do in a situation like that.
I agree! It was a totally unnecessary hit under those circumstances.

Bottom line: a player could've been injured in a pretty much meaningless game just because someone wanted to pull off a flashy hit.

Exique* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:14 AM
  #71
zorz
Registered User
 
zorz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
Tried to fight him? If you want to fight someone you make sure both are ready, drop your gloves and go. That guy jumped Karlsson, which is why he got a 5+20 and Karlsson could skate back to his bench.
this is true, but Karlsson showed him they are gonna fight later when they were both going to the penalty box, that was clear. Then he walks out of the box and acts like nothing happened and doesn't care about the other guy? Strange.

Btw. Karlsson shoud get some penalty too, because he was fighting back.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:15 AM
  #72
Hockeyfrilla
Registered User
 
Hockeyfrilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,596
vCash: 500
nice hit.

Hockeyfrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:18 AM
  #73
zorz
Registered User
 
zorz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
What twisted logic. Kronwall is showing consideration by trying to injure amateurs on purpose in meaningless games for the sin of not having NHL hockey sense.

Then what you're telling me is that unless a defenseman abandons his position in the neutral zone to fly at a forward who's not his responsibility at that moment there will be a breakaway. This makes absolutely zero sense. If anything, an odd-man break is more likely playing him this way (probably one reason why the puck's in the net so much more often when Kronwall's on the ice than when any other Red Wing defenseman is).

Which Torres hit? The one on Eberle? Most of Kronwall's hits from a few years ago are far worse because he's taking 6 strides and leaping at the jaw with an extended elbow pad. Torres glided into eberle's head. That's not nearly as cheap as what Kronwall did to, I think, bonk.

Now, no. He hasn't done anything as dangerous as what Torres did to Hossa in quite a while.

But that's a completely separate issue.

Cherry's point on the Eberle hit is you don't run a guy who doesn't know any better in a pointless game just out of common human decency. This latvian knows less well and this game was more pointless.
Personally I didn't mind the hit, but you opinion is fair.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:15 AM
  #74
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
What twisted logic. Kronwall is showing consideration by trying to injure amateurs on purpose in meaningless games for the sin of not having NHL hockey sense.

Then what you're telling me is that unless a defenseman abandons his position in the neutral zone to fly at a forward who's not his responsibility at that moment there will be a breakaway. This makes absolutely zero sense. If anything, an odd-man break is more likely playing him this way (probably one reason why the puck's in the net so much more often when Kronwall's on the ice than when any other Red Wing defenseman is).

Which Torres hit? The one on Eberle? Most of Kronwall's hits from a few years ago are far worse because he's taking 6 strides and leaping at the jaw with an extended elbow pad. Torres glided into eberle's head. That's not nearly as cheap as what Kronwall did to, I think, bonk.

Now, no. He hasn't done anything as dangerous as what Torres did to Hossa in quite a while.

But that's a completely separate issue.

Also, regarding the first bolded part, I mean come on. Ok let's put it like this, if a D steps up a player at this level and don't take the body but just tries to pokecheck the puck -- his coach will be pissed at him. It is modus operandus for a D to take the body. I cannot guarantee that there will be a break away lol. You got me there.

Cherry's point on the Eberle hit is you don't run a guy who doesn't know any better in a pointless game just out of common human decency. This latvian knows less well and this game was more pointless.
I disagree, and I hate to use this argument, but I am sure 99% of anyone who ever have played the game would. And 99% of the players hit in those situations blame themselvs after it. Or in the situation where the forward just receives a pass, you blame the player passing the puck to a player in a situation like that.

And I think its ridiculos to talk about how its a Latvian player. Come on, you learn this when you are 10 y/o.

Its a part of the game for D's to hit forwards the way Kronwall hit. You are entitled to your opinion, but I personally think that most hits from players like Rob Blake, Scott Stevens and Nik Kronwall should be a part of the game.

Kronwall is just too good at it for some fans to handle.


Last edited by Ola: 05-16-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:19 AM
  #75
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
this is true, but Karlsson showed him they are gonna fight later when they were both going to the penalty box, that was clear. Then he walks out of the box and acts like nothing happened and doesn't care about the other guy? Strange.

Btw. Karlsson shoud get some penalty too, because he was fighting back.
Yeah, but even if Karlsson is yelling like "yeah sure" to the Latvian guy in the penalty box, why should he fight him lol???

BTW, I have no problem with what the Latvian player did. He showed emotions.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.