HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tangradi's next contract

Old
05-15-2012, 09:16 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong. I was only going off of this thread. I'm amazed actually that there are that many people out there that think he should be in the top 6 to start next season.

If he starts playing well and puts up points, then we can revisit the conversation, but as of right now he should only be guaranteed a spot on the 4th line and go from there.
I agree 100%. I like him on the 4th line for now. I think he will find his scoring touch and could be a really solid 3rd liner by seasons end.

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
I agree 100%. I like him on the 4th line for now. I think he will find his scoring touch and could be a really solid 3rd liner by seasons end.
The best thing would be for him to find a spot on our 2nd powerplay early in the season. Would help him build up confidence and cement a position for him.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:23 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
The best thing would be for him to find a spot on our 2nd powerplay.
I agree. I think that could get him some confidence offensively.

edit: I quoted you before you added the rest

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I agree. I think that could get him some confidence offensively.
are you from the future?

Old
05-15-2012, 09:24 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
are you from the future?
Great minds think alike.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:46 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Person one: Tangradi should get a chance
Person two: He should have to earn a chance
Person one: Well lets give him a chance to earn it
Person two: But he has to earn that chance!!!

The sad thing is if Bylsma continues like this it will be the same with Bennett & Das Kuhn. Mean while we will be stuck with stop gaps like Sullivan instead of long term solutions.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:44 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Person one: Tangradi should get a chance
Person two: He should have to earn a chance
Person one: Well lets give him a chance to earn it
Person two: But he has to earn that chance!!!

The sad thing is if Bylsma continues like this it will be the same with Bennett & Das Kuhn. Mean while we will be stuck with stop gaps like Sullivan instead of long term solutions.
Disagree. Sullivan did wonders for our powerplay and Tangradi had no business playing anywhere where Sullivan did. I will grant you Park, but isn't Shero the GM?

I actually would like to have Sullivan back. Let the flaming begin. If anybody needs me, I will be under my bed!

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:15 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Disagree. Sullivan did wonders for our powerplay and Tangradi had no business playing anywhere where Sullivan did. I will grant you Park, but isn't Shero the GM?

I actually would like to have Sullivan back. Let the flaming begin. If anybody needs me, I will be under my bed!
No need to hide, he did just what he was brought in to do.

I would have him back as well.

It's really not about offense, and they shouldn't be targeting forwards this off season.

Being responsibly defensive from the forward group is needed while bringing in more defensive D-man who actually will play defense.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:23 PM
TheEdge27

vCash: 543
Quote:

With such a weak FA market outside of Parise, I wouldnt be shocked if Sully is back for one more, assuming no major move is made.

TheEdge27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:25 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I don't think Sullivan was bad this year, and was pretty good a lot of the time. But he was rarely "great", and in the playoffs it was clear he was a weak link. I see no reason to believe that will be any different for a 38 year old Sullivan next year.

The way I see it, there were 3 really weak links in the chain of our team in that playoffs that -- if we improved those spots -- could really strengthen the group as a whole. Those 3 players were Sullivan & Adams up front, and Martin on the back end.

What is also clear from both the discussions on this board (and rightfully so) and from an asset management point of view is that there are 2 forwards who really need to be given a chance: Tangradi & Jeffrey.

So I see very clearly that Tangradi & Jeffrey replace Sullivan & Adams. If Tangradi is playing better, then he gets more time on the top 2 lines; if Jeffrey is, then he gets the spot. There's the internal competition you want, but also the versatility to move guys up & down the line-up and experiment with chemistry. Both guys should see 2nd unit PP time, and Jeffrey has great upside as a penalty-killer.

So, problem with Tangradi (and Jeffrey) is nicely solved there.

Then, on the back end, to replace Martin's weak link is some 2-out of-3 combination of Bortuzzo, Strait, and perhaps Despres, with the possible option of dressing 7 Dmen. Doing that and getting rid of Martin's contract gives us all the money we need to sign Staal. Wam, bam, thank you Shero.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:48 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:

I'm not saying Sullivan was a bad stop gap but he was still a short term solution. If you develop younger players that's several years before they are lost to free agency & maybe if they are important enough you keep them. With Free Agency getting worse & worse every year it's going to be the only option soon.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:20 AM
Jacob

I like ET on the 4th line for now, with the odd shift on the power play. When injuries hit [and we know they will] he'd be the first guy to get bumped into the top 9.

Contract wise it'll be a 1 or 2 year one-way deal near the league minimum.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:22 AM
Honour Over Glory

Going through the pages of this thread again.

I hope the team just trades the kid, it'd be better for his career.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:05 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:

Shero bringing in guys like Sully and Park was not the problem. That was done for the sake of depth and it worked out perfectly pretty much. Bring in enough guys that we never have to go too deep into our WBS forwards during injury spells. Remember when we were playing Tangradi, McDonald and Williams? Not to mention OReily and MacIntyre. If we don't have those vets but we still have the same number of injuries, who would our callups have been? Especially when your two best players missed half of last season with injuries, you don't want to go into a season without that kind of depth. Under the circumstances, I think Park and Sullivan were both good signings.

The problem is that when the injuries happened and Tangradi was up he wasn't actually given much of a chance. That's Bylsma, not Shero. If you want to blame Shero for allowing his coach to use his team in a way he didn't seem to intend, that's up to you. I don't know enough about those relationships in pro sports to know how that sort of thing usually goes.

Old
05-16-2012, 07:29 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Shero bringing in guys like Sully and Park was not the problem. That was done for the sake of depth and it worked out perfectly pretty much. Bring in enough guys that we never have to go too deep into our WBS forwards during injury spells. Remember when we were playing Tangradi, McDonald and Williams? Not to mention OReily and MacIntyre. If we don't have those vets but we still have the same number of injuries, who would our callups have been? Especially when your two best players missed half of last season with injuries, you don't want to go into a season without that kind of depth. Under the circumstances, I think Park and Sullivan were both good signings.

The problem is that when the injuries happened and Tangradi was up he wasn't actually given much of a chance. That's Bylsma, not Shero. If you want to blame Shero for allowing his coach to use his team in a way he didn't seem to intend, that's up to you. I don't know enough about those relationships in pro sports to know how that sort of thing usually goes.
I'm just concerned about ET because it was obvious DB had a problem with him. Me and a few others kept pointing out how odd it was that when he played well, his minutes got scaled back. It was like he couldn't win no matter what he did. When you refuse to give the kid a regular 4th line shift when he is playing well, something is fishy.

Then later Molinari said some in the org don't like ET... Madden followed that up by specifically saying he heard from several reliable sources DB didn't like him.

DB is still a young coach with a lot of room to grow. That is why I don't want him fired and don't bust his balls on here very often. The way he handled ET and Vitale was messed up... There is no other way to put it.

But getting his ass kicked by a team of rookies I think may be an ephiany for him. Maybe seeing the Devils, Rags, Coyotes, and Kings, all teams in the final four with rookies contributing for them, may also wake him up.

He is still learning how to be a coach at this level and many of us forget that.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:41 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I'm just concerned about ET because it was obvious DB had a problem with him. Me and a few others kept pointing out how odd it was that when he played well, his minutes got scaled back. It was like he couldn't win no matter what he did. When you refuse to give the kid a regular 4th line shift when he is playing well, something is fishy.

Then later Molinari said some in the org don't like ET... Madden followed that up by specifically saying he heard from several reliable sources DB didn't like him.

DB is still a young coach with a lot of room to grow. That is why I don't want him fired and don't bust his balls on here very often. The way he handled ET and Vitale was messed up... There is no other way to put it.

But getting his ass kicked by a team of rookies I think may be an ephiany for him. Maybe seeing the Devils, Rags, Coyotes, and Kings, all teams in the final four with rookies contributing for them, may also wake him up.

He is still learning how to be a coach at this level and many of us forget that.
I agree that Bylsma has things to learn. I just hope he is willing to do it. He has a lot of good things going for him so hopefully he can improve on his flaws.

Did you have a problem with how Vitale was handled up until the playoffs? That's what really bothered me.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 05-16-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old
05-16-2012, 07:56 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I agree that Bylsma has things to learn. I just hope he is willing to do it. He has a lot of good things going for him so hopefully he can improve on his flaws.

Did you have a problem with how Vitale was handled up until the playoffs? That's what really bothered me.
Ya I thought DB benched him in the reg season because he was a rookie, no other legit reason.

You have to try and be objective and realize he at least put him on the roster this season, but I still maintain if Crosby was healthy, Vitale would of been put on waivers.

DB would of never put Adams or Park on waivers for Vitale. He just has a narrow mindset towards rookies that has to change.

He can work out his flaws, we just have to be patient with him.

After what he has seen this playoff with rookies and he still has a hard on for vets, he doesn't work on in game adjustments, etc, then maybe it will be time for a change. Not until then though.

Old
05-16-2012, 08:03 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Ya I thought DB benched him in the reg season because he was a rookie, no other legit reason.

You have to try and be objective and realize he at least put him on the roster this season, but I still maintain if Crosby was healthy, Vitale would of been put on waivers.

DB would of never put Adams or Park on waivers for Vitale. He just has a narrow mindset towards rookies that has to change.

He can work out his flaws, we just have to be patient with him.

After what he has seen this playoff with rookies and he still has a hard on for vets, he doesn't work on in game adjustments, etc, then maybe it will be time for a change. Not until then though.
I think all of those basically require him to get over his stubbornness.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 05-16-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old
05-16-2012, 08:11 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I think all of those basically require him to get over his stubbornness.
He got his ass handed to him by a team full of rookies, while his vets:

- lost their composure the entire series
- got suspended and embarrassed the owner and org
- were responsible for one of the worst PK units in modern playoff history

If that doesn't open his eyes, then maybe he is too stubborn for his own good. Only a fool wouldn't get a wake up call by something that obvious.

Old
05-16-2012, 08:16 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
He got his ass handed to him by a team full of rookies, while his vets:

- lost their composure the entire series
- got suspended and embarrassed the owner and org
- were responsible for one of the worst PK units in modern playoff history

If that doesn't open his eyes, then maybe he is too stubborn for his own good. Only a fool wouldn't get a wake up call by something that obvious.
I guess we'll find out pretty quickly if he's a fool or not then. This team is good enough that he would have to basically sabotage the line-up to knock them out of a playoff spot. We could very well start next season winning games even if he doesn't show any improvement. But if he shows these same problems a month or two into next season do you think Shero waits for another playoff loss to dump him? I don't know how thin a line he is walking.

Old
05-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I guess we'll find out pretty quickly if he's a fool or not then. This team is good enough that he would have to basically sabotage the line-up to knock them out of a playoff spot. We could very well start next season winning games even if he doesn't show any improvement. But if he shows these same problems a month or two into next season do you think Shero waits for another playoff loss to dump him? I don't know how thin a line he is walking.
As much as his stubbornness to play rookies pisses me off, it is his in game decisions that need a lot of work.

The Pens have only shown some warts during the season, but he generally has them playing winning hockey, until the playoffs.

So I doubt he gets fired unless there is another playoff melt down.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:34 AM
Pens1566

Tangradi isn't slow. He isn't a great skater, but he is a good skater for his size. It's deceptive.

As for his next contract, I'd guess that it'll be for 2 years at less than his QO but more than league minimum. First year likely 2-way, 2nd NHL only.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566 View Post
Tangradi isn't slow. He isn't a great skater, but he is a good skater for his size. It's deceptive.

As for his next contract, I'd guess that it'll be for 2 years at less than his QO but more than league minimum. First year likely 2-way, 2nd NHL only.
2-way doesn't change his waiver situation right? It just means if he does clear waivers he'd get payed less in the AHL right? video games still confuse me with this stuff sometimes but I think I got it.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:41 AM
Pens1566

Quote:
2-way doesn't change his waiver situation right? It just means if he does clear waivers he'd get payed less in the AHL right? video games still confuse me with this stuff sometimes but I think I got it.
It's just different salaries depending on where you play.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:41 AM
TheEdge27

vCash: 543
Quote:
As much as his stubbornness to play rookies pisses me off, it is his in game decisions that need a lot of work.

The Pens have only shown some warts during the season, but he generally has them playing winning hockey, until the playoffs.

So I doubt he gets fired unless there is another playoff melt down.
Id say even game-to-game changes as well. We lost 3 playoff games in a row 2 years straight now....

TheEdge27 is offline   Reply With Quote