HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tangradi's next contract

Old
05-16-2012, 03:30 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge27 View Post
I wouldnt say huge amount of offensive upside, but a nice fit as a 3rd wheel on a line with 2 decent offensive players.
As in playing next to a duo like Malkin and Neal or Crosby and anybody he could very well put up 40 or so points, which isn't really saying anything. Feds did it and Poni would've as well on a longer stint. That's not an improvement over anything and it's still speculation at this point. Other than the Player X + Our Stars = Production formula this board loves to whip out I don't know how anyone has seen nearly enough from him yet to talk about a role like that for him.

He's taken some nice shifts here and there and we'll see what the future holds for him. Other than that it's mystifying to me how much bandwidth is devoted to this guy.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:30 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Funny how you leave out the fact all of them played consistent minutes throughout the year, as opposed to two and three game stints, where Tangradi spent most of the time on the bench.

Context is indeed a refreshing thing, when done correctly.
endless excuses from Team Eric

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Pens1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
Tangradi's slow development is not Bylsma's fault what so ever. It's not Bylsma's fault Tangradi has 1 (flukey) goal in 40 career games. I'm sure DB sees everything in ET that we see and wants him to fulfill that potential, but you don't waste ice time on an underachieving player just because he's a highly touted prospect.

Bylsma's players earn their ice time. Tangradi has rarely done anything to warrant more than 4th line minutes.

....plus, he's from Philly
I'd almost buy this line. And then Adams happens to get back on the ice and I realize it's nonsense.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:39 PM
mpp9

In his last couple stints, Tangradi was drawing penalties with his speed, working the boards, protecting the puck and making some nifty passes. He has to do that with more consistency. I dont care if he's not a goal scorer, he can help create space for our centers. Shouldnt that be our goal in complementary talent? When that happens is up in the air. Hopefully he can force his way into the top 9 next year.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
endless excuses from Team Eric
Endless whining from spoiled fans who have no clue how long it takes for a prospect not drafted first or second overall to develop.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:45 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Endless whining from spoiled fans who have no clue how long it takes for a prospect not drafted first or second overall to develop.
Hey man, I'm not saying Tangradi is done and won't amount to anything. All I am saying is that his play so far does not warrant more playing time like people are claiming. I actually like Tangradi, i think he could be useful some day. I just don't think that day is tomorrow.

No need to call me a clueless, spoiled fan because we disagree in this situation

Old
05-16-2012, 03:52 PM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

I'm glad coaching staff didn't lose faith in Malone.

TheRollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Hey man, I'm not saying Tangradi is done and won't amount to anything. All I am saying is that his play so far does not warrant more playing time like people are claiming. I actually like Tangradi, i think he could be useful some day. I just don't think that day is tomorrow.
It warranted regular 4th line minutes. Shero made his choice and was justly rewarded by his vets embarrassing him and the org as well as being owned by a bunch of rookies.

Quote:
No need to call me a clueless, spoiled fan because we disagree in this situation
Uh, when you blow off someone' s argument as an "excuse", that is the same thing.

Don't cast stones bro.

Old
05-16-2012, 03:56 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
It warranted regular 4th line minutes. Shero made his choice and was justly rewarded by his vets embarrassing him and the org as well as being owned by a bunch of rookies.
i don't think Tangradi would have made the difference require

Quote:
Uh, when you blow off someone' s argument as an "excuse", that is the same thing.

Don't cast stones bro.
you're right, I apologize.

Old
05-16-2012, 04:01 PM
mpp9

Tangradi over Asham in the lineup? Yeah, I think it would have made a difference. He played well for us when he got the chance.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
i don't think Tangradi would have made the difference
He setup a pivotal goal when Staal scored. He played hard when he was in as well.

Then got a seat on the bench for Adams who did jack ****. He embarrassed the org with his suspension.... Took an atrocious penalty that cost them a goal... And did nothing to help one of the most historically atrocious PK units ever seen in the playoffs.

I won't even go into how pathetic his forechecking was.

Tangradi should of been given regular 4th line minutes from Jan on, but DB doesn't think he can play his system...

Which tells me he isn't a very good judge of talent or doesn't have the balls to sit his vets when the situation calls for it (Vitale will attest to that).

If you want Tangradi to develop you invest in him... You don't dick him around like DB did.

As I keep saying, DB had karma kick him square in the nuts. We'll see if he learned anything from the experience.

Old
05-16-2012, 04:41 PM
MtlPenFan

Shero deserves almost as much blame for this as well, regardless of which side of the Tangradi argument we're on.

Hey Ray, stop signing the Richard Parks of the world right before training camp starts.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:53 PM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

Eric Tangradi: 4th Line Bust. Yeah, that's how silly the "he didn't earn his ice time" arguments sound. Well no ****. He was barely on the ice to begin with.

TheRollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
want a good time? read anaheim board posts from 08 talking about his beast potential. apportioning the blame for his plodding development is a tough task. hopefully he'll be better able to port over his WBS-playoff-play next year.

Crafton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:59 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

I wouldn't have a problem with signings like Park if when there were injuries & a guy like Tangradi would get a shot. Instead there were more times that we saw a guy like Park out on the first line. I know you want to win games but in the end regular season games just aren't that important. It wouldn't be the end of the world if we lost a couple games because some of the young guys were given shots with injuries.

The regular season is a time to find out what works. All that seeding crap doesn't mean a thing. As long as you 8th or above you are good.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with signings like Park if when there were injuries & a guy like Tangradi would get a shot. Instead there were more times that we saw a guy like Park out on the first line. I know you want to win games but in the end regular season games just aren't that important. It wouldn't be the end of the world if we lost a couple games because some of the young guys were given shots with injuries.

The regular season is a time to find out what works. All that seeding crap doesn't mean a thing. As long as you 8th or above you are good.
Pens were something like 10-1 with Tangradi in the lineup, so he wasn't exactly hurting them.

Old
05-16-2012, 10:54 PM
Superstar Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Shero deserves almost as much blame for this as well, regardless of which side of the Tangradi argument we're on.

Hey Ray, stop signing the Richard Parks of the world right before training camp starts.
That is entirely Bylsma's failing; not Shero's. Considering how overwhelmingly awful Colin McDonald and Jason Williams were in the NHL, it seemed more like the organization didn't have enough Richard Parks this past season. Ray Shero does not deserve the blame for Bylsma's inability to properly utilize his personnel.

Superstar Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Master Shake

Id give him one more year. Id offer a 3 year 6-750k contract. Because you can move that contract because someone will take the chance on him at deadline if we decide he doesnt fit in. At same time if he pans out we have a good contract.

That said, Im on the fence with him.

If I had my way we would somehow get Saad from Chicago. Not sure what it would take at this point.

I was very pissed when we didnt move up in the 2nd to get him when he was falling. If we didnt get Morrow I wanted him with our 1st... and yes, I did want Morrow very badly with our 1st. Morrow and Saad both should have been top 10 picks.

Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 06:43 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
Id give him one more year. Id offer a 3 year 6-750k contract. Because you can move that contract because someone will take the chance on him at deadline if we decide he doesnt fit in. At same time if he pans out we have a good contract.

That said, Im on the fence with him.

If I had my way we would somehow get Saad from Chicago. Not sure what it would take at this point.

I was very pissed when we didnt move up in the 2nd to get him when he was falling. If we didnt get Morrow I wanted him with our 1st... and yes, I did want Morrow very badly with our 1st. Morrow and Saad both should have been top 10 picks.
The Pens got Morrow then Harrington. I'm pretty happy with that.

Old
05-17-2012, 07:10 AM
TheEdge27

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
As in playing next to a duo like Malkin and Neal or Crosby and anybody he could very well put up 40 or so points, which isn't really saying anything. Feds did it and Poni would've as well on a longer stint.
Yeah, but at 1-1.4 cheaper than Poni or Feds. Then you can always package him in a deal or bump him down if an upgrade is needed.

TheEdge27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 07:47 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post

Park was a good signing. We needed center depth enough that we went and got Cal OReily. And then when we had injuries and were playing McDonald, Williams and Tangradi we would have had to go even deeper. Shero built a roster knowing that injuries would happen and Tangradi would have his chance to be on the big club. That is exactly what happened. At that point its up to Bylsma.

I'm still not at a point where I think we needed to give him a spot to start the year. But I am annoyed that even with all the times he came up we barely know anything about him.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 05-17-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:37 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Park was a good signing. We needed center depth enough that we went and got Cal OReily. And then when we had injuries and were playing McDonald, Williams and Tangradi we would have had to go even deeper. Shero built a roster knowing that injuries would happen and Tangradi would have his chance to be on the big club. That is exactly what happened. At that point its up to Bylsma.

I'm still not at a point where I think we needed to give him a spot to start the year. But I am annoyed that even with all the times he came up we barely know anything about him.
DB had his mind made up about Tangradi it seemed. When you put together the rumors from legit sources he didn't like him and the way he pulled back his minutes, it was obvious he didn't want him on the roster.

I think Shero is the reason he was on the roster, not DB.

But Shero isn't the type to demand he get more ice time, especially if the team is winning.

So now because of DB stubbornness, we still have no idea if Tangradi is a top six guy or not as you said, which is frustrating.

Either way, he can at least become a very talented third liner that can make an impact for this org. I have little doubt about that... If DB ever gives him a real chance.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:21 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
In his last couple stints, Tangradi was drawing penalties with his speed, working the boards, protecting the puck and making some nifty passes. He has to do that with more consistency. I dont care if he's not a goal scorer, he can help create space for our centers. Shouldnt that be our goal in complementary talent? When that happens is up in the air. Hopefully he can force his way into the top 9 next year.
This. So wasn't he handled the correct way then?? He is starting to develop. They never gave up on him, they found a way to help him advance and that is what he is finally doing. What is the argument here? People that thought he deserved more minutes last season were not paying attention on how poorly he played. They handled him with kid gloves and now it looks like he has turned a corner.

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:30 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
DB had his mind made up about Tangradi it seemed. When you put together the rumors from legit sources he didn't like him and the way he pulled back his minutes, it was obvious he didn't want him on the roster.

I think Shero is the reason he was on the roster, not DB.

But Shero isn't the type to demand he get more ice time, especially if the team is winning.

So now because of DB stubbornness, we still have no idea if Tangradi is a top six guy or not as you said, which is frustrating.

Either way, he can at least become a very talented third liner that can make an impact for this org. I have little doubt about that... If DB ever gives him a real chance.
I have so much respect for the amount of time you put in to these prospects. You have twice the amount of knowledge on them than most of us. What I am saying is you are a really smart dude, so why do you get caught up in rumors and opinions? You quoted Mark Madden for goodness sake, yesterday. The same guy who said Sid is leaving because he is mad about his concussion. You put me in my place about Tangradi not being a bust earlier this year, you were right. Well, I am saying to you that this Bylsma nonsense is just that, nonsense. He has always been complementary of him before and after the season. He continues to insert him back in the line-up. They have a plan to have him work on the small things. It is starting to pay off.

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
I have so much respect for the amount of time you put in to these prospects. You have twice the amount of knowledge on them than most of us. What I am saying is you are a really smart dude, so why do you get caught up in rumors and opinions? You quoted Mark Madden for goodness sake, yesterday. The same guy who said Sid is leaving because he is mad about his concussion. You put me in my place about Tangradi not being a bust earlier this year, you were right. Well, I am saying to you that this Bylsma nonsense is just that, nonsense. He has always been complementary of him before and after the season. He continues to insert him back in the line-up. They have a plan to have him work on the small things. It is starting to pay off.
I respect Madden. I know a lot of people who know him. I have family friends who know the guy and playing in the tourney circuit around the tri state area when I was a teen in the 90s, all I ever heard was very positive things about the type of person he is... Very giving, very kind, volunteered a lot of his time and money for youth hockey. He is very connected with the Pens brass. Just because he says a rumor, doesn't mean it will come to pass, even if he claims it will... That is all part of his schlick to get ratings. It works well for him and people buy into it. They tune in just to hear what he will say even if they hate him. His ratings are always very good.

I used to read his freelance hockey articles in Hockey Digest, Roller Hockey Magazine, etc long before he became a radio personality and he was a fantastic, insightful writer who knew the game very well. He would cover NARCH tourneys, do cover stories on legendary teams like the Leominister Rams and Long Island Dreamers, breakdown why legends like Mark Goodey were so damn good, etc. He brought those stories alive and he was a big reason I got into tourney hockey as a kid. Most kids playing hockey wanted to be like Gretz or Lemieux, I wanted to be like Tony Szabo and John Vecchiarelli. Madden's stories were a big part of that.

So ya, when he says something I put stock in it. Especially when a respected beat guy like Molinari echos what he said. It all pretty much confirmed what I suspected for months.

Let's not pretend like DB doesn't have his faults and his man love for vets is a weakness that cost him this season... In a very embarrassing way.