HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Rule change on shot blocking?

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBruin View Post
Why would anyone complain last year. Two of the top offensive teams in the league played in the Cup finals.
I saw a lot of "complaints" about the Caps, but now that they're out there's little point continuing it.

I don't know. I don't have to know, I'm not making a point in favour of a rule change. Plenty of people had problems with their ultra-defensive style back then as well. If they were in the conference finals right now instead of the Rangers people would be all over them too. The team being successful while employing a strategy that's not appreciated will get more heat than the team employing the same strategy and not being successful with it, seems quite obvious to me. Some can state valid criticism and leave it at that while others overreact and demand rule changes, that's just the way it is. No need to get your knickers in a twist and scream conspiracy.
So when the CFs start, that's when people decide to complain and think of new rules? If they actually want it changed, how come this is starting now? It's like "OMG the ECF started. Now let's all think of new rules." Is there a deadline or something? Is thinking of new rules not allowed during previous rounds?

05-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Maybe you should only be allowed to block shots with your face.

Old
05-15-2012, 07:34 PM
2Cowen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
So now that we are doing it in a winning fashion it's a bad thing? No one would care if we block shots and lose.
I never said it was a bad thing. You do something that helps you win and its obviously more noticeable, not sure whats so hard to understand about that.

Old
05-15-2012, 07:36 PM
defense447713

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDevil View Post
No one is calling to completely eliminate shot blocking. The question is if their may be a possible change in the rules on how you can block a shot.
Any change would be awful imo. Don't want to sound like a broken record but I think some fail to understand the degree of sacrifie it takes to get in front of one of those shots. Not every player is willing to do it, believe me they arent. Its one of the unique aspects that showcases the level of passion in the sport.

Old
05-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Dactyl
T Glass Fan Club

Quote:
It's fine and I started this thread because they where talking about it on NHL home Ice on SiriusXM. Just curious if their might be a rule change based on How you block the shot. No one is calling for a rule change to completely eliminate them.
that makes a little more sense than what some people in this thread are calling for

Old
05-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Dactyl
T Glass Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
I never said it was a bad thing. You do something that helps you win and its obviously more noticeable, not sure whats so hard to understand about that.
yes defense can help you win good observation

Old
05-15-2012, 07:42 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Is this thread for real?

Old
05-15-2012, 07:43 PM
Punkeater

There should be no rules about blocking shots. If a team have the heart and guts to block more shots, then props to them.

Old
05-15-2012, 07:43 PM
towely

Quote:
With today's equipment everyone is willing to block shots because barely anyone is getting hurt. It's not just blocking shots but how you block them. For example maybe players will get penalized who leave their feet to stop a shot.
laying down in front of a shot has always been considered one of the many ultimate sacrifices one can do for his team and takes balls to do.

todays equipment is better but it is not that good, callahan broke his ankle one time from it and also broke his wrist, mat zuccarello broke his wrist at seasons end.
guys get hurt all the time doing it.

so what now? we take away a guy laying his stick down to block a pass?
do we take away the team on offenses abillity to deflect a shot because if it is not fair to keep a teams shot from getting to the goalie then it can not be fair altering the pucks direction on the goalie.

i don't get this thread, its like can we pussify the sport any more.

what makes this sport what it is, is the fact the hockey players are real men, they play hurt, they play often, and when something becomes difficult they find a way.
guys been laying down in front of shots since the begining and yes equipment has come a long way but it still is not that good because if it were the goalies would be shedding some pounds in equipment if it were and they are not.

threads like these are made by people who have such a hatred for a particular team that they cherry pick anything they do to discredit them.

defense wins championships and stanley cup playoffs are not and never were goal scoring fests for the 43 years i been watching unless one team was over matched or both teams have lousy defense, you know like the penguins, flyers series. but we see what lighting up the lamp 8 times in a game gets you in the playoffs because they are all golfing right now.

Old
05-15-2012, 07:44 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
Is this thread for real?
I don't know. There's a lot of fans here that masquerade as hockey fans. But when you suggest ludicrous stuff like a rule against shot blocking, it begs the question.

Old
05-15-2012, 07:45 PM
DaRags30

Maybe switch to basketball if you want high scoring? Or hockey can go completely 3 on 3 full ice? Or no padding whatsover for any player on the ice?

Old
05-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Krams
what a time

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
To be fair, I don't think OP intended this thread to turn into this. He isn't the poster everyone is replying to.
It's absolutely laughable to even bring up the question.

Old
05-15-2012, 07:47 PM
SnowblindNYR

Roenick is talking about how dangerous blocking shots is. But what does he know, not like he played 20 years.

Old
05-15-2012, 07:49 PM
n3ss

Too bad Hunter won't be back next year, we could have seen record shot blocking numbers by the caps.

And they wouldn't have made the playoffs, but oh well.

Old
05-15-2012, 07:52 PM
Pi

If a player can block a hard shot, I don't mind it at all.

I remember one of Callahan or Dubinsky getting injured on a hard bomb by Chara.

Shot blocking has its positives and negatives. If it hits you at the "right" place you're as good as gone. If you can live through the pain, you're helping your team.

Shot blocking intensely like the Rangers and Caps did make for some boring ass hockey at times but I don't think their coaches were yelling at their players:

"Girardi WTF are you doing!! Hockey is boring because you blocked that shot"

Rangers have been one of the top shot blocking teams all year long..if it wasn't a problem then, why is it a problem now?

Old
05-15-2012, 07:53 PM
2Cowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc55 View Post
yes defense can help you win good observation
No need to tell me that, I already knew. Tell that to the poster I quoted.

Old
05-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Roenick is talking about how dangerous blocking shots is. But what does he know, not like he played 20 years.
Standing and deflecting pucks is too. He had to have reconstructive surgery on his jaw because he took a puck to the face. Hes just whining like everyone else because the team everyone hates found something that works for them.

Old
05-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Northlax3

I just want to mention, The NHL made a rule change to counter Martin Brodeur playing the puck all the time. Just saying I wouldn't be surprised if they made a rule preventing another teams strength.

EDIT: Granted I don't want the rule change. Just saying I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL makes more changes to cater to fans that only want to see goals.

Old
05-15-2012, 07:59 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
Standing and deflecting pucks is too. He had to have reconstructive surgery on his jaw because he took a puck to the face. Hes just whining like everyone else because the team everyone hates found something that works for them.
He wasn't whining he was praising actually.

Old
05-15-2012, 08:00 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northlax3 View Post
I just want to mention, The NHL made a rule change to counter Martin Brodeur playing the puck all the time. Just saying I wouldn't be surprised if they made a rule preventing another teams strength.

EDIT: Granted I don't want the rule change. Just saying I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL makes more changes to cater to fans that only want to see goals.
If most teams starting do this and it dragged down TV rating something might be done eventually, but nothing will get done quickly as this apparently new way to play the game will be given time to evolve.

Old
MyersMagic57*

This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. If you tired of getting your shots blocked, then take better shots!

Old
Unpredictable1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
Washington tried that, and there were no shooting lanes. Did we watch the same series? How many times did they pass back and forth along the point, for minutes at a time, because there was no shooting lanes, or room to even attempt taking a shot without risking an odd man rush?

Torts found a way to beat the system. You could put 5 Malkins out there against NYR and youll get the same result. The best way to beat it, is to copy it.
My only guess is that you lost some serious money on this first loss because I've never seen anyone in my life complain so much because their team lost. It's amazing.

It's one game. One game. For all the shot blocking happening in today's game you're only opening your mouth because a hated rival used it to beat you IN ONE GAME.

The Devils could still very well win this series. So tell me this, are you yelling uncontrollably at the TV when your boys lay down in front of a shot? Nah, didn't think so.

Old
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
With today's equipment everyone is willing to block shots because barely anyone is getting hurt. It's not just blocking shots but how you block them. For example maybe players will get penalized who leave their feet to stop a shot.
LOL. are you serious with this statement? You should go watch some other NHL games and tell me why skaters don't block if it doesn't hurt?

Old
05-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Dactyl
T Glass Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northlax3 View Post

marty is one goalie who excessively played the puck. the rangers are an entire team that blocks shots

Old
05-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

vCash: 420
While we're at it, let's make a rule disallowing players from hitting in the offensive zone, because it stops the other team from attacking

Totally not a suggestion to stop the Devils

Closed Thread