HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Rule change on shot blocking?

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2012, 08:04 PM
KaraLupin
카라

vCash: 500
Devils fans are in no position to lobby for outlawing a successful style of play...

Old
05-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Devilshark
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
My only guess is that you lost some serious money on this first loss because I've never seen anyone in my life complain so much because their team lost. It's amazing.

It's one game. One game. For all the shot blocking happening in today's game you're only opening your mouth because a hated rival used it to beat you IN ONE GAME.

The Devils could still very well win this series. So tell me this, are you yelling uncontrollably at the TV when your boys lay down in front of a shot? Nah, didn't think so.
I dont bet on sports, takes the enjoyment out of it. Kinda why most Football fans are a joke to me, half of them will openly cheer for their team to lose if they have money on it.

Old
05-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Skrimpy

This is stupid. Hockey is not boring with low goals. Hockey is boring without scoring chances and the way I see it any shot is a scoring chance. If its blocked it just means someone SKILLFULLY AND COURAGEOUSLY got into the correct position at the correct time. Changing the rules in this regard is only being suggested because people are being babies that someone that doesnt have as much offensive skill as the star players found an effective way to defend against them. I stand by my opinion. Blocking shots makes for exciting play. Especially when one team is hemmed in and prevents a more offensively talented team from scoring. People are just crying now because their offensive team lost in the first and second round and now an offensive team lost game 1. Take your high scoring affairs and go hang them...or go watch basketball. They are boring.

Old
05-15-2012, 08:06 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDevil View Post
Serious question. Do you think their will be a change in the rules as a result of the Rangers shot blocking?
It's been annoying as **** playing the Rangers the last few years because its all they do. As a result, I can't help but smile inwardly when one of them take a Chara bomb and limp off the ice. Hate it being in the game to this extent, but there is no way to stop it. What, call a penalty for limiting scoring chances?

Old
05-15-2012, 08:07 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hof2120 View Post
Why would you want to make a rule against shot blocking? If a player is willing to lay down and take a puck to somewhere on his body to help his team win, then let him do it. Maybe more teams should get as many selfless players as the Rangers have.
Because its not aesthetically pleasing to watch a 6 goalie system and scoring is currently as low as it was before the lockout.

Not sure why the OP is singling out the Rangers, though

Old
05-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Tundra

A rule change would be unfortunate. Like other sports, the players should enforce the law of the land on the ice. If a batter in baseball is hanging over the plate consistently, the pitcher brushes him back or in some cases drills him in the back. The code of oldtime hockey goes for excessive shot blocking as well. Bobby Hull would have castrated one of the Rangers by now.

Old
05-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Uncle Sam

The funniest thing about this thread is that everyone is saying the Rangers cant do anything but block shots... We were 11th in the league in goal scoring LOL. Not spectacular but above average. Best rank left in the playoffs, although our playoff goal scoring has left a ton to be desired compared to the others.

Old
05-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Because its not aesthetically pleasing to watch a 6 goalie system and scoring is currently as low as it was before the lockout.

Not sure why the OP is singling out the Rangers, though
Are any of you watching the same sport I am or does the NHL really have you all bettman brainwashed? High scoring affairs are boring! Close games with lots of chances are exciting. If you don't like the fact that the Rangers play their system better than most stop watching hockey and go watch the NBA. It sounds like they are more your speed.

Old
05-15-2012, 08:14 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
don't really know how you could ever make a rule about it....maybe make it illegal to leave your feet to block a shot? I can't see any way that is passed

then again, they made it freaking illegal for goalies to play the puck in some areas so who the hell knows
NBA style illegal defense rule requiring man on man instead of zone coverage, perhaps a warning then a penalty if x defender stands in the slot for too long when not covering a man.

If people are serious that excessive shot blocking is becoming a problem; that's what really has to be done

Old
05-15-2012, 08:17 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Did you read my other posts? People weren't complaining when the Caps blocked shots. Just because we are winning while doing it is why people are complaining.
I don't know what boards you were reading, but I saw a ton of fans complaining about the play of both the Rangers and Capitals

Old
DutchShamrock

Whole lotta pots calling the kettle black here. Guess some fan bases got spoiled and they don't like the bitter taste of losing.

Old
Uncle Sam

Quote:
NBA style illegal defense rule requiring man on man instead of zone coverage, perhaps a warning then a penalty if x defender stands in the slot for too long when not covering a man.

If people are serious that excessive shot blocking is becoming a problem; that's what really has to be done
how is getting in the shooting lane a problem? Its not like getting in front of a shot is an easy act. It risks injury,fatigue, etc. Last season Ryan Callhan got hurt the last game of the season blocking one and was out for the playoffs. It comes with risks. Its a good defensive play.

Saying that shot blocking is becoming excessive is like saying poke checks are becoming excessive. Should those be banned too? Should forwards/defensemen just give shooters a wide open lane to shoot to?

The more this gets debated the more ridiculous it sounds.

Old
05-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Skrimpy

Hey guys! I got an idea! Malkin scores way to many goals. Its frustrating because my team cant stop him. Lets make a rule change to prevent him from scoring too much. Hes ruining the game...cough, cough for my team, cough, cough.

Old
05-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!

Send a message via AIM to Nekz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
Are any of you watching the same sport I am or does the NHL really have you all bettman brainwashed? High scoring affairs are boring! Close games with lots of chances are exciting. If you don't like the fact that the Rangers play their system better than most stop watching hockey and go watch the NBA. It sounds like they are more your speed.
Everything this guy said.

I'd rather watch a 2-1 game than a 10-3 game. Which one is more exciting really? Are you sitting on the edge of your seat during the final 5 minutes of that second game or are you already turning to a different channel?

I thought this thread was a joke attempt going in.

Old
05-15-2012, 08:23 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
Probably. Especially against Washington, the Rangers made it literally impossible to get a shot thru. Since its not a skill play, any team can dress a bunch of guys that are willing to pile up in front of the net and take the abuse, hoping theyll get a lucky bounce or soft goal in their favor.
Phoenix did that to Nashville. It worked!

Old
05-15-2012, 08:23 PM
DutchShamrock

Legislating a skill out... I wonder how many Devil fans appreciate the trapezoid. Never really thought that made the game better. Kind of felt teams should have found a way around Marty playing the puck, or work on goalie outlet passes more. Didn't really see it as a positive for the league to just outlaw a skill. And I kind of liked seeing the occasional Belfour meltdown in the corner.

Maybe the league should outlaw the forecheck. Yeah, that'll teach the Rangers to get all uppity and win.

Old
05-15-2012, 08:24 PM
Dactyl

offense and goal scoring is not suppose to be easy defense exists for a reason

Old
05-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekz View Post
Everything this guy said.

I'd rather watch a 2-1 game than a 10-3 game. Which one is more exciting really? Are you sitting on the edge of your seat during the final 5 minutes of that second game or are you already turning to a different channel?

I thought this thread was a joke attempt going in.
No. they just hate their team couldnt figure out how to beat it. Eventually somebody will, or be better at it than NY but I hope not this year.

Old
05-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Lawzy

While it's frustrating to watch, it's a legitimate strategy and they are using it to a T.

Generally speaking a team needs a lot of luck to win the Stanley Cup, the more often you throw your body in front of the puck the more likely you'll lose a player due to injury. It's not a risk free system.

Stop being bitter.

Old
05-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Devilshark
Registered Abuser

Quote:

Thats really the problem. Shotblocking is fine, but camping 3 players in front of the net and having them pull the ebrake isnt.

I still think the Devils need to shoot high and make the guys wearing Blue Jerseys pay the price. There was one shot a Ranger player blocked last night, where he has crawling on the ice in pain afterwards (forgot who it was). More of that needs to happen, just higher, so the guy who blocked knows not to the next time.

Old
05-15-2012, 08:26 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
I agree that low scoring games with lots of chances are the most exciting. I also find that the trend to clog the slot with bodies reduces the number of chances greatly, and even when you do get a chances, it's more often of the "shoot the puck into the mess of bodies and hope you get a lucky bounce" than a clean play.

Old
05-15-2012, 08:28 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
how is getting in the shooting lane a problem? Its not like getting in front of a shot is an easy act. It risks injury,fatigue, etc. Last season Ryan Callhan got hurt the last game of the season blocking one and was out for the playoffs. It comes with risks. Its a good defensive play.

Saying that shot blocking is becoming excessive is like saying poke checks are becoming excessive. Should those be banned too? Should forwards/defensemen just give shooters a wide open lane to shoot to?

The more this gets debated the more ridiculous it sounds.
A properly executed shot block isn't particularly risky anymore with the new body-armor like equipment.

The newer, better equipment is the major reason why everyone blocks shots now

Old
05-15-2012, 08:29 PM
beastly115

Funny how we didn't hear the Sens or Caps fans whining this much about it. Only seems to be Devils fans...

Old
05-15-2012, 08:29 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
More than likely, pucks are going to start being shot head height and then it'll stop.

Old
05-15-2012, 08:30 PM
Dactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
Thats really the problem. Shotblocking is fine, but camping 3 players in front of the net and having them pull the ebrake isnt.

I still think the Devils need to shoot high and make the guys wearing Blue Jerseys pay the price. There was one shot a Ranger player blocked last night, where he has crawling on the ice in pain afterwards (forgot who it was). More of that needs to happen, just higher, so the guy who blocked knows not to the next time.
stepan is still gonna block shots...

Closed Thread