HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Rule change on shot blocking?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-15-2012, 08:30 PM
  #176
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Screw You Rick Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,258
vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I don't know what boards you were reading, but I saw a ton of fans complaining about the play of both the Rangers and Capitals
And how many people in the media complained about the Caps? THN just wrote an article saying the Rangers are ruining hockey. The Rangers. Not the Caps. Like they had nothing to do with it.

__________________
++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<
-]>++++++.>+.+++++++++++++++.>+++++++++.<-.
>-------.<<-----.>----.>.<<+++++++++++.>-------------
-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is online now  
Old
05-15-2012, 08:31 PM
  #177
dtones520
Registered User
 
dtones520's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Midland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,746
vCash: 500
How about players start waiting before they shoot? Watch some Nicklas Lidstrom tape, he'll show a lot of players how to not shoot into a block.

dtones520 is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 08:32 PM
  #178
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
And how many people in the media complained about the Caps? THN just wrote an article saying the Rangers are ruining hockey. The Rangers. Not the Caps. Like they had nothing to do with it.
well they want 99-98 goal games they really should stick to basketball and leave hockey alone

Dactyl is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 08:32 PM
  #179
Hockeyplayer99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country:
Posts: 330
vCash: 500
How about a rule that goalies aren't allowed to flop around and also goalies can't be fat like Marty because he is fat and he takes up more net

Hockeyplayer99 is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 08:33 PM
  #180
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtones520 View Post
How about players start waiting before they shoot? Watch some Nicklas Lidstrom tape, he'll show a lot of players how to not shoot into a block.
this or passing easily eliminates the effectiveness of a block it amazes me that no one has figured this out yet

Dactyl is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 08:33 PM
  #181
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyplayer99 View Post
How about a rule that goalies aren't allowed to flop around and also goalies can't be fat like Marty because he is fat and he takes up more net
well then there should be a rule against lundqvists huge pads

Dactyl is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 08:34 PM
  #182
Skrimpy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I agree that low scoring games with lots of chances are the most exciting. I also find that the trend to clog the slot with bodies reduces the number of chances greatly, and even when you do get a chances, it's more often of the "shoot the puck into the mess of bodies and hope you get a lucky bounce" than a clean play.
A blocked shot is a clean play. Its an exciting play, especially when the blocker is out of position and makes the play. They arent taking the skill out of the game, they are making the more skilled plays that more impressive and goals even more exciting.

Skrimpy is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 08:34 PM
  #183
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,973
vCash: 500
Yeah, this thread was basically doomed as soon as the OP made it about the Rangers. Definitely comes across as sour grapes, even if that's not how it's meant.

I think the NHL is going to take a serious look at how the new equipment has greatly increased the amount of shot blocking from even 10 years ago. It's the single greatest thing driving down the number of scoring chances right now.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now  
Old
05-15-2012, 08:35 PM
  #184
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Yeah, this thread was basically doomed as soon as the OP made it about the Rangers. Definitely comes across as sour grapes, even if that's not how it's meant.

I think the NHL is going to take a serious look at how the new equipment has greatly increased the amount of shot blocking from even 10 years ago. It's the single greatest thing driving down the number of scoring chances right now.
well not all teams can be like the pens or flyers now can they

Dactyl is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 08:36 PM
  #185
Skrimpy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
And how many people in the media complained about the Caps? THN just wrote an article saying the Rangers are ruining hockey. The Rangers. Not the Caps. Like they had nothing to do with it.
I think THN is ruining hockey.

Skrimpy is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 08:36 PM
  #186
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
And how many people in the media complained about the Caps? THN just wrote an article saying the Rangers are ruining hockey. The Rangers. Not the Caps. Like they had nothing to do with it.
If the Caps won the series, the article would probably be about them. I definitely read several articles decrying how Hunter was neutering the skill of his team... And winning games with it

TheDevilMadeMe is online now  
Old
05-15-2012, 08:38 PM
  #187
Skrimpy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Why is it that if a goalie makes a save its a great play but if a player does its not? In fact its seen as making the game boring? If players stopping the shot is boring, goalies stopping the shot is boring and they should be eliminated from the game too.

Skrimpy is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 08:38 PM
  #188
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtones520 View Post
How about players start waiting before they shoot? Watch some Nicklas Lidstrom tape, he'll show a lot of players how to not shoot into a block.
And a tape to tape breakout pass from a defenseman could also break the Neutral Zone Trap. The NHL still removed the Red Line (and added the trapezoid).

TheDevilMadeMe is online now  
Old
05-15-2012, 08:39 PM
  #189
NYR MacTruck
Registered User
 
NYR MacTruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 379
vCash: 500
one of the dumber threads I have ever read. Its been the same way since mites:

Blocked shots, win games.

NYR MacTruck is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 08:41 PM
  #190
Uncle Sam
Registered User
 
Uncle Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: America
Country: United States
Posts: 526
vCash: 500
If the debate is now about new and improved pads then should there be a rule about where you can shoot from? Composite sticks make shots exponentially more accurate and more powerful. Should a rule be put in place where you cant shoot from a certain distance?

Uncle Sam is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 08:42 PM
  #191
Devilshark
Registered Abuser
 
Devilshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Central New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc55 View Post
stepan is still gonna block shots...
Not if he blocks one with his face, which is what Im implying.

Shoot hard, shoot high. Keep doing it until that next potential shotblocker gives it a second guess.

Devilshark is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 08:43 PM
  #192
MartyForVezina
Aspiring 1%er
 
MartyForVezina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,368
vCash: 500
It is the Devils own fault for not having players that can hammer the puck from the point and handle it with poise. I knew this was gonna be a tough system for the Devs to beat in a series considering more offensive bluelines that had Green and Karlsson couldn't beat the Rangers.

The way you discourage people diving all over the place is by ripping one timers and hard slappers. Truth of the matter is, a team wont hesitate from doing this unless you give them something to fear. Human nature, I dont care what anyone says. I'd love to see a Ranger dive out infront of a slapper from Kovy again. Bet they will think twice. Sadly, he is the only player on the Devs who can bring it from the point and obviously doesnt play there aside from PP.

MartyForVezina is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 08:43 PM
  #193
Uncle Sam
Registered User
 
Uncle Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: America
Country: United States
Posts: 526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
Not if he blocks one with his face, which is what Im implying.

Shoot hard, shoot high. Keep doing it until that next potential shotblocker gives it a second guess.
Boyle took one to the face, hes still going strong .

Uncle Sam is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 08:45 PM
  #194
Skrimpy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
If the debate is now about new and improved pads then should there be a rule about where you can shoot from? Composite sticks make shots exponentially more accurate and more powerful. Should a rule be put in place where you cant shoot from a certain distance?
Yeah, lets go back to no helmets, no pads and wooden sticks.

Skrimpy is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 08:46 PM
  #195
Uncle Sam
Registered User
 
Uncle Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: America
Country: United States
Posts: 526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
Yeah, lets go back to no helmets, no pads and wooden sticks.
glorious days, eh?

Uncle Sam is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 08:47 PM
  #196
Skrimpy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyForVezina View Post
It is the Devils own fault for not having players that can hammer the puck from the point and handle it with poise. I knew this was gonna be a tough system for the Devs to beat in a series considering more offensive bluelines that had Green and Karlsson couldn't beat the Rangers.

The way you discourage people diving all over the place is by ripping one timers and hard slappers. Truth of the matter is, a team wont hesitate from doing this unless you give them something to fear. Human nature, I dont care what anyone says. I'd love to see a Ranger dive out infront of a slapper from Kovy again. Bet they will think twice. Sadly, he is the only player on the Devs who can bring it from the point and obviously doesnt play there aside from PP.
This argument doesnt hold water. Most of them have laid down in front of a Chara shot and would do it again if asked.

Skrimpy is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 08:48 PM
  #197
Skrimpy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
glorious days, eh?
Yeah then maybe that big market club we all hate will go back to the basement where we love them to be.

Skrimpy is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 08:49 PM
  #198
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
Not if he blocks one with his face, which is what Im implying.

Shoot hard, shoot high. Keep doing it until that next potential shotblocker gives it a second guess.
so injure the player is your only answer to our system?

Dactyl is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 08:50 PM
  #199
Razor29
52-22-8
 
Razor29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,178
vCash: 50
Is this thread serious?

Razor29 is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 08:50 PM
  #200
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,995
vCash: 500
not having your shot blocked requires just as much skill as blocking one i dont get this argument at all

Dactyl is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.