HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Would you consider Iginla in top 5 today?

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2004, 01:28 PM
Accord

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Accord
Iginla is definitely top 5, but certainly in the latter half of it.

Old
12-17-2004, 09:14 PM
skariya18

1) Joe Sakic
2) Martin Brodeur
3) Peter Forsberg
4) Nicklas Lidstrom
5) Markus Naslund
6) Chris Pronger
7) Jarome Iginla
8) Roberto Luongo
9) Marian Hossa
10) Ilya Kovalchuk

That was easy...

Old
12-17-2004, 09:35 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by skariya18
1) Joe Sakic
2) Martin Brodeur
3) Peter Forsberg
4) Nicklas Lidstrom
5) Markus Naslund
6) Chris Pronger
7) Jarome Iginla
8) Roberto Luongo
9) Marian Hossa
10) Ilya Kovalchuk

That was easy...
I would say you forgot the best power forward in the game in Joe Thornton. I cannot believe everyone forgot this guy. He has done more for his career int he same time frame than Iggy has.

I would say:

1). Forsberg
2). Brodeur
3). Lidstrom
4). Thornton
5). Naslund
6). Iginla

Iggy may have took the Flames to the Final, but so have alot of other players just to have their teams stink the next season.

Also Iggy's consistency is a problem. I remeber his steller 2002 campaign only to be mediocre in 2003, and then come back in 2004.

Thornton has slowly gotten better and better, and Forsberg, Naslund, Brodeur, Lidtsrom, Sakic... they are models of consistency.

Old
12-17-2004, 09:42 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
Thornton has slowly gotten better and better, and Forsberg, Naslund, Brodeur, Lidtsrom, Sakic... they are models of consistency.
Like how Naslund dropped 20 points last year? Real consistant. Oh, and if you are using his injury as an excuse, then please remember that Iginla had a broken hand in the season he scored 35 goals.

You also give your boy Naslund ANOTHER pass when you say Thornton has done more then Iginla in the same time frame.. yet.. Iginla won the Art Ross, Rocket Rickard, Lester Pearson tropies when he was 24. When Naslund was 24 he had a 40 point season.

An amazing double standard you have there.

Old
12-17-2004, 09:56 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

I'd put Kovalchuk, Naslund, Sakic, Lidstrom, St. Louis, and Brodeur ahead of him at this very moment. Just barely out of top five, IMO. Top five if you count forwards.

On a completely different note, if I was going for the Stanley Cup, the only player I'd rather have on my team than Iginla is Brodeur. Iginla is the perfect playoff forward.

Old
12-17-2004, 09:58 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
I'd put Kovalchuk, Naslund, Sakic, Lidstrom, St. Louis, and Brodeur ahead of him at this very moment. Just barely out of top five, IMO. Top five if you count forwards.
Novalchuk, Naslund, St. Louis?

No no no. Especially Kovalchuk.

Old
12-17-2004, 10:05 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Thank you for your deep rebuttal. I will consider your points and I sincerely look forward to future interaction with you.

Old
12-17-2004, 10:07 PM
x-bob

Yes he should be in the top 5

Old
12-17-2004, 10:20 PM
billabong55

If you include all players, and not just forwards, then I am not sure I would have him in the top 5 just yet. But I have no doubt he will be there very soon. And I would love to have him on my team.

He was one player I was really looking forward to watching this season. He was great last season and in the playoffs, and I wanted to see how much more he was able to progress this season. I have no doubt he will continue to get better.

Old
12-17-2004, 11:28 PM
skariya18

Quote:
I would say you forgot the best power forward in the game in Joe Thornton. I cannot believe everyone forgot this guy. He has done more for his career int he same time frame than Iggy has.

I would say:

1). Forsberg
2). Brodeur
3). Lidstrom
4). Thornton
5). Naslund
6). Iginla

Iggy may have took the Flames to the Final, but so have alot of other players just to have their teams stink the next season.

Also Iggy's consistency is a problem. I remeber his steller 2002 campaign only to be mediocre in 2003, and then come back in 2004.

I have Thornton, Bertuzzi, Hejduk, Sundin, Blake, Nash, Heatley all in the 11-20 range...no doubt once you get past the top 4 players, it's pretty much a toss-up 5-20.

-Vik

Old
12-18-2004, 10:48 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm
Like how Naslund dropped 20 points last year? Real consistant. Oh, and if you are using his injury as an excuse, then please remember that Iginla had a broken hand in the season he scored 35 goals.

You also give your boy Naslund ANOTHER pass when you say Thornton has done more then Iginla in the same time frame.. yet.. Iginla won the Art Ross, Rocket Rickard, Lester Pearson tropies when he was 24. When Naslund was 24 he had a 40 point season.

An amazing double standard you have there.
I was taling about Thornton, not Naslund.

Old
12-18-2004, 12:21 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
I was taling about Thornton, not Naslund.
Yes, I noticed it.

It was just funny the things you slagged Iginla about you gave Naslund a total pass on.

Old
12-18-2004, 12:43 PM
LaVal

Quote:
Naslund has been in the top-5 scoring the past 3 years, something that no other player has done. in fact, the only other player to make 2 out of the past 3 was his linemate Bertuzzi. he may have dropped 20 points, but the scoring leader dropped 12. in 02-03 we saw three 100 point scorers, in 03-04 we saw none. top end scoring dropped pretty signifigantly on the whole last season.

and i'd EASILY take lasts year's Naslund, who although scored fewer points, became a model backchecker and more well-rounded player. he didn't regress, he improved.

Old
12-18-2004, 12:54 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVal575
n.
and i'd EASILY take lasts year's Naslund, who although scored fewer points, became a model backchecker and more well-rounded player. he didn't regress, he improved.
Are you attributing his point loses due to the fact he became a "model backchecker"?

Well, okay. I've seen guys who are a model of backchecking.. for some reason Marcus Naslund has never been one of them.

Old
12-18-2004, 02:52 PM
LaVal

Quote:
Are you attributing his point loses due to the fact he became a "model backchecker"?

Well, okay. I've seen guys who are a model of backchecking.. for some reason Marcus Naslund has never been one of them.
i'm attributing his point total loses due to the top end point production drop, as i said in my post. i then backed it up further with an argument that he was a better player last year than the year before.

and yes, Naslund was a model backchecker for the Canucks. i don't see how that's so hard to believe.

Old
12-18-2004, 07:32 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Yes, I noticed it.

It was just funny the things you slagged Iginla about you gave Naslund a total pass on.
This post was never about Naslund, and I never brought him into this until I mentioned others, that you could easily slag on as well.

I just brought in a point about a player that if I had to choose between Iginla and Thornton, Forsberg, Brodeur, Lidstrom, and Naslund, I would take them because of their consistency.

I never said Iginla was a horrible player, and that Naslund was a god. You did that all by yourself princess.

Old
12-18-2004, 07:47 PM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
Thank you for your deep rebuttal. I will consider your points and I sincerely look forward to future interaction with you.
Run away with me.

Old
12-18-2004, 10:41 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

wow, Iginla is in my top5 for sure.

What doesn't he bring on and off the ice? He is EVERYTHING you want a hockey player to be.

some players are very gifted, yet they are not hitters and vice versa.....but this guy has it all.

I dont respect any other player in the game under the age of 30 more than Jerome Iginla.... well, maybe saku koivu.

Old
12-18-2004, 10:44 PM
NYRangers

Naslund, Forsberg, Bertuzzi (pre incident), Kovalchuk, Nash, Heatly (pre incident), etc. I'd take over Iginla. But he is a Superstar, probably top 10 IMO.

Old
12-19-2004, 12:34 AM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

I would take him over anyone other than Brodeur. The guy is beyond amazing. He does it all. Generating goals from nothing, grit, fighting. And he did it all playing with mediocre offensive players around him.

The only forward I might take before him would be Foppa, but he's starting to get injured a lt, and I think that will just get worse.

Old
12-19-2004, 02:29 AM
Evman*

Markus Naslund gets points.....

And that's it.

One of the worst captains in the league, mediocre defensively (often very lazy), not physical at all, has no grit and lacks intensity.

Yep, that's a great player.

Is Sergei Berezin on your top 5 list too?

Edit: I am not comparing Naslund to Berezin for any moron who chimes in with **** like that.

Old
12-19-2004, 03:50 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evman
One of the worst captains in the league, mediocre defensively (often very lazy), not physical at all, has no grit and lacks intensity.
And somehow he still won the Pearson in 2003.

Old
12-19-2004, 04:01 AM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield
You won't find many Flames fans that will argue that when it comes to offense, the Flames are mainly a one-man show. But you can't say the team as a whole is a one-man show, that would be ignorant.

Defence & goaltending play a huge part of a team and the Flames have some of the leagues best in both categories.

The Flames are not a one-man team. They may not have very good offensive depth, but they do have a quality group of forwards that play their roles very well. Their defence ranks in the top 5-6 in the NHL, and their goalie is top 5 IMO. Not too many teams have the 3rd & 4th line depth of the Flames, with guys like Simon, Yelle, Clark, Wiemer, Nieminen, Donovan etc....
Simon, Nieminen and Dono all played 1st line or 2nd line in the playoffs, I wouldn't call that depth. They have ALOT of 3rd to 4th line players, who are good, but they have to play some of them on the 2nd line, or even 1st line.

Old
12-19-2004, 04:04 AM
THE NEXT ONE #87

Jagr is the best forward in the nhl. even he doesn´t show it every game in the recent years. jagrs abilities are unmachted. iginla can only dream about his movement balance stickhandling playmaking skills etc.

If he is in top form he is the best. ask lemieux or gretzky. he is the best in russia.

Old
12-19-2004, 04:09 AM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

At there very best, the top 5 in the league (not counting consistency, etc)

1. Jagr
2. Bertuzzi
3. Forsberg
4. Sakic
5. Naslund/Iginla

Overall (counting consistency, etc)

1. Forsberg
2. Naslund/Sakic
3. Sakic/Naslund
4. Iginla
5. Thornton

Closed Thread