HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Would you consider Iginla in top 5 today?

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2004, 09:31 AM
wilka91*

vCash: 500
Iginla? Definetly not a top 5. Top 20 maybe.

1. Jagr
2. Forsberg
3. Fedorov
4. Brodeur
5. Kovalchuk

(I put Fedorov in no. 3 just to show I'm not too biased )

Old
12-20-2004, 12:07 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
This thread is very close to being closed. Let's post about Iginla and not about each other.

Old
12-21-2004, 12:43 AM
ZombieMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehtonen32
Can I get you to elaborate on this? I'm not trying to attack you or defend Iginla or anything, I'm just wondering what qualms you had in mind.

The thing which stands out to me as what I am concerned with (but at the same time paradoxically impressed with) is the 'trend' he showed in the playoffs with getting into fights at points where the game was over or it seemed sort of pointless to me.

There are different ways to look at what happened, and that's why I'm not too certain really how to interpret it. On one end, for example, the Ohlund fight could be seen as being a sore loser. But then again, not wanting to take losing is a great asset. So....it's difficult to type out, but basically my qualm with Iginla is I'm not sure his decision making is as bang on as it should be for a guy that I believe will soon be Canada's captain in international play.

Old
12-21-2004, 01:19 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt MacInnis
The thing which stands out to me as what I am concerned with (but at the same time paradoxically impressed with) is the 'trend' he showed in the playoffs with getting into fights at points where the game was over or it seemed sort of pointless to me.

There are different ways to look at what happened, and that's why I'm not too certain really how to interpret it. On one end, for example, the Ohlund fight could be seen as being a sore loser. But then again, not wanting to take losing is a great asset. So....it's difficult to type out, but basically my qualm with Iginla is I'm not sure his decision making is as bang on as it should be for a guy that I believe will soon be Canada's captain in international play.
The Ohlund hit was a hit from behind. That was why Iginla got mad. But I agree about the gooning it up part. He is the ring leader and the first to start a brawl if the Flames lose.

Old
12-21-2004, 02:28 AM
Phanuthier*

They go down fighting, what can I say?

I'd rather take a sore loser then a ... gracer winner I guess.

But back on topic (lets see how great my memory is), the Ohlund fight was caused by the hit from behind, the one with Hatcher (?) was your so called "gooning it up" (I agree there), SJ had Marleau wanting to go at the same time (so it wasn't Iginla that instigated it) and I believe Lecavlier wanted to go with Iginla. Now I know my memory isn't infallible, but I'm pretty sure that's what happened. In that case, I have Iginla going out to instigate a fight once (Hatcher), once retaliating for a cheap shot (Ohlund) and twice when the other guy wanted to go (Marleau, Lecavlier).

I have to wonder, when Mario Lemieux made the same statement at the World Cup, going after (Halpern?) did you think the same thing? I remember Mario making the same statement fighting some 5th or 6th defenseman, Brad Ference I believe.

Iginla makes a statement that he gets pissed off, and he shows it. I think that's pretty good leadership that he'll go down fighting - its not your Todd Bertuzzi cheapshot or Marty McSorley slash or even Niemenen running the goalie, its a fight.

Besides, I think there's a difference between a respected (generally) guy like Jarome Iginla then a guy like Tie Domi or Donald Brashear, would I be correct in saying that?

Old
12-21-2004, 09:36 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
But back on topic (lets see how great my memory is), the Ohlund fight was caused by the hit from behind, the one with Hatcher (?) was your so called "gooning it up" (I agree there), SJ had Marleau wanting to go at the same time (so it wasn't Iginla that instigated it) and I believe Lecavlier wanted to go with Iginla. Now I know my memory isn't infallible, but I'm pretty sure that's what happened. In that case, I have Iginla going out to instigate a fight once (Hatcher), once retaliating for a cheap shot (Ohlund) and twice when the other guy wanted to go (Marleau, Lecavlier).
I think you have it right.

That's what I love about the guy. In my eyes he's a total warrior. Iginla isn't the most skilled guy like a Jagr, but he uses every asset available to him to get the job done. He's a workhorse, and the guy I'd want on the ice when the game is on the line.

Old
12-22-2004, 01:30 AM
Rejean31

Iginla is in the top 3 in the league, if not number 1.

Closed Thread