HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

From best to worst of the 3: Roy-Broduer-Hasek!

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2004, 09:41 PM
PapaBear*

vCash: 500
From best to worst of the 3: Roy-Broduer-Hasek!

I say Roy, Broduer, Hasek. Though I love Roy and Brodeur equally. Do you think Brodeur will surpass Roys records?

Old
12-16-2004, 09:45 PM
Higgy4

At this point I would say its fairly easy. Roy, Broduer and Hasek. I do think Broduer will pass alot of Roy's records.

IF hockey ever starts up again. He is missing out on some valuable time here.

Old
12-16-2004, 09:47 PM
KOVALEV10*

He may break some of Roy's records but breaking records doesnt necessarly make you the greatest you know. Brodeur isnt even top 5 in the best goalie's list IMO.

Old
12-16-2004, 09:49 PM
PapaBear*

Roy was the master of "butterfly" goaltending!

Old
12-16-2004, 09:50 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
He may break some of Roy's records but breaking records doesnt necessarly make you the greatest you know. Brodeur isnt even top 5 in the best goalie's list IMO.
I would say he is pretty damn close. There arent many goalies in the history of the NHL that I would take over Broduer. Roy and Sawchuk are 2 off the top of my head. But then it gets tough to make that choice.

Old
12-16-2004, 09:55 PM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
I would say he is pretty damn close. There arent many goalies in the history of the NHL that I would take over Broduer. Roy and Sawchuk are 2 off the top of my head. But then it gets tough to make that choice.
IMO here are the top 5 best goalies ever in their time. (Dont care what era they played in and if they would be good today because who's to say todays goalies would be good with the old equipment that goalies had years ago, whereas now goalie's wear pads two times wider and half a heavy.)

1- Roy

2- Hasek

3- Sawchuk

4- Plante

5- Tretiak

Other great goalies have come and gone like Grant Fuhr, Billy Smith, Ken Dryden and Mike Richter.

Old
12-16-2004, 11:06 PM
Mysterion

You guys are wrong. Hasek has how many vezinas? 6? He entered the league at age 27! If he had joined at 20 when Roy did, would there be any question? Nope. Hasek was better then both at his prime, in 2005 I'd take Brodeaur over Hasek in a second though.

Old
12-16-2004, 11:27 PM
Reilly311

If Hasek was north american, he'd get a lot more respect.

Old
12-17-2004, 12:00 AM
LannysStach
Thou shall

Domink Orr

i've been watching goalies since the league had 12 teams and clearly remember showdowns btwn Dryden and Tony Esposito (and grey-haired Plante and Glenn Hall, and maskless Gumper and Eddy, but that's another post).

i've noticed that Saint Patrick has some sort of elevated super-human popularity and status among fans nowadays. i've never shared that faith. i think he and Marty are good to maybe great goalies who did play for great teams. I never saw either of them do what I saw Hasek do in terms of being a quarterback or a team captain from the goalie crease. in my opinion, he sort of did for goaltending what bobby orr did for defensemen.

and i'd love to throw out an honorable mention to the one-game-short efforts by JS Guegere a couple years ago, and Mika Kiprusoff last year -- those were two of the most amazing goaltending performances i've ever seen -- like i'd site either of them before any season by brodeur, or any by saint patrick except that first cup.

and a p. freakin s., that i just found these boards and am Blown Away by the brains-on-ice here. that one thread where the winner asks the next question!! sickly funny.

fine target shooting.

Old
12-17-2004, 12:05 AM
Aerolanche

Patrick Roy is the greatest goaltender of all time, bar none.

The only player in NHL history to win 3 Conn Smythes, yes, even including Wayne Gretzky. 4 Stanley Cups also do not hurt his resume. This proves how he is the best money goaltender of all time, he plays big when you need him to.

Without Patrick Roy, I can almost guarentee you that half of the french-born goaltenders in the NHL right now wouldn't be.

Old
12-17-2004, 12:11 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
I think Hasek's credentials outweigh Roy's accomplishments. So Hasek is my #1 pick followed up by a #2 Roy. I would Pick Brodeur to be on my team in a second but to be fair in ranking goal-keepers, he has always had a spectacular defense in helping him. One word...Scott Stevens, actually that's two words and "Scott Stevens" is rather a name. huh oh well

Old
12-17-2004, 12:25 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

As much as it pains me to say it, Hasek was the better of the three goalies IMO.

I hate the guy with a passion, but he would be #1 on that list, followed by Roy and Brodaur.

Old
12-17-2004, 12:39 AM
PecaFan

1) Sawchuk

2) Hasek
3) Brodeur
4) Roy

I shudder to think what Sawchuk could have done with today's Michelin Man equipment.

Old
12-17-2004, 01:03 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Brodeur can beat all of Roys records for all I care. Roy will still be the better goaltender in history. He outplayed Brodeur near the end of his career when Brodeur was in his prime. Roy was amazing.

Old
12-17-2004, 02:18 AM
meehan

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
I would Pick Brodeur to be on my team in a second but to be fair in ranking goal-keepers, he has always had a spectacular defense in helping him. One word...Scott Stevens, actually that's two words and "Scott Stevens" is rather a name. huh oh well
Oh so I guess Roy never had Larry Robinson or Chris Chelios or Ray Bourque or Rob Blake or Adam Foote in front of him eh?

Old
12-17-2004, 02:49 AM
Dantonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Brodeur can beat all of Roys records for all I care. Roy will still be the better goaltender in history. He outplayed Brodeur near the end of his career when Brodeur was in his prime. Roy was amazing.
What about when Belfour outplayed Roy (two postseasons in a row)? Does that not count? Don't forget Hasek against Roy in 2002, either. The ironic thing about the 2001 Finals was how it was billed as a battle of the goaltenders, yet both pretty much sucked throughout the entire series (until Roy picked up the slack in Game 6 after Bourque made a speech to Colorado). Something tells me it was Bourque who pulled them through that entire year.

EDIT: Of course, Roy was more rested than Brodeur in 2001 and the same could be said about Hasek in 2002, which further proves how you cannot JUST use one series to support your comparison.

Last edited by Dantonius: 12-17-2004 at 02:58 AM.
Old
12-17-2004, 02:57 AM
Dantonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
I think Hasek's credentials outweigh Roy's accomplishments. So Hasek is my #1 pick followed up by a #2 Roy. I would Pick Brodeur to be on my team in a second but to be fair in ranking goal-keepers, he has always had a spectacular defense in helping him. One word...Scott Stevens, actually that's two words and "Scott Stevens" is rather a name. huh oh well
One word: team.

Old
12-17-2004, 07:34 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly311
If Hasek was north american, he'd get a lot more respect.
Agreed

1. Roy
2. Hasek
3. Brodeur

Old
12-17-2004, 08:34 AM
Vlad The Impaler

This thread will not provide a concensus answer, that much I knew before even opening it

For me:

1-Hasek
2-Roy
3-Brodeur

But they're all great.

Old
12-17-2004, 08:41 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

I reserve judgment until Brodeur's career is over.

Old
12-17-2004, 09:52 AM
TORRUS

Hasek, Brodeur, Roy

Roy didn't prove anything on the international level so that's why I put him on the third place. Goalie has to prove himself internationaly, not only in the NHL.

Old
12-17-2004, 09:56 AM
Birko19

Roy holds some big records, Hasek was the better of the 3, and Brodeur has the potential to break some records, I think they're all great, but Hasek was the most dominating out of them.

Old
12-17-2004, 10:31 AM
John Flyers Fan

As good as Brodeur is, and has been at this point he's still 3rd IMO.

As for Roy vs. Hasek, Roy had the better career, but that IMO comes down to entering the league at an earlier age and playing on better teams for the most part. Hasek came later, but at his best he's the clear cut #1 IMO.

No goalie has ever played at a level that Hasek did from 1994-99.

Old
12-17-2004, 10:33 AM
trentmccleary

Hasek- Roy -Brodeur

Old
12-17-2004, 10:41 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by meehan
Oh so I guess Roy never had Larry Robinson or Chris Chelios or Ray Bourque or Rob Blake or Adam Foote in front of him eh?
Roy's two best statistical post-seasons (B-Y F-A-R) were the two years that Bourque played for the Av's in the playoffs.

But that's nothing compared to what Doug Bodger did for Hasek... :lol

Closed Thread