HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

From best to worst of the 3: Roy-Broduer-Hasek!

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2004, 11:48 AM
John Flyers Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary
Roy's two best statistical post-seasons (B-Y F-A-R) were the two years that Bourque played for the Av's in the playoffs.
That not correct.

His 1.92 GAA in 1986 is far more impressive than his 1.70 & 1.79 GAA's in the 2000 & 01 playoff years.

Old
12-17-2004, 12:53 PM
Poochie_D

roy has played both on good teams and bad. can brodeur say the same?

Old
12-17-2004, 01:31 PM
Dantonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie_D
roy has played both on good teams and bad. can brodeur say the same?
Let's have him traded so he can prove his value to internet forum critics.

Old
12-17-2004, 01:46 PM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantonius
Let's have him traded so he can prove his value to internet forum critics.
1) Roy
2) Brodeur
3) Hasek

I think people saying Hasek would get more respect if he was North-American are just looking for an excuse. These are the 3 best goalies of all time IMO. I don't count old time goalies like Tretiak & Dryden because its painfully obvious that goalies these days are much better.

Greg Millen, Greg Stefan, Rick Wamsley, Alan Bester, Daniel Berthiume, Pokey Reddick, Peter Ing, Jacques Cloutier, Tim Cheveldae, Brian Hayward, Kelly Hrudey, Tommy Soderstrom, Rick Tabaracci, Jeff Reese etc.......

Many of the goalies that played in the 80's and early 90's would not even come close to making an NHL team now.

Old
12-17-2004, 01:47 PM
se7en*

Broduer
Roy
Hasek

Old
12-17-2004, 02:29 PM
syc

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
He may break some of Roy's records but breaking records doesnt necessarly make you the greatest you know. Brodeur isnt even top 5 in the best goalie's list IMO.
and you're not biased.

Old
12-17-2004, 02:33 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 1650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield
1) Roy
2) Brodeur
3) Hasek

I think people saying Hasek would get more respect if he was North-American are just looking for an excuse. These are the 3 best goalies of all time IMO. I don't count old time goalies like Tretiak & Dryden because its painfully obvious that goalies these days are much better.

Greg Millen, Greg Stefan, Rick Wamsley, Alan Bester, Daniel Berthiume, Pokey Reddick, Peter Ing, Jacques Cloutier, Tim Cheveldae, Brian Hayward, Kelly Hrudey, Tommy Soderstrom, Rick Tabaracci, Jeff Reese etc.......

Many of the goalies that played in the 80's and early 90's would not even come close to making an NHL team now.

I think that's a pretty hard statement to make. For starters, goalies 20 years ago faced many more difficult shots in a more wide-open game. I think if you watch video it's "painfully obvious" that the modern day netminder has gear covering a much, much larger portion of the net. I'm not disrespecting modern goalies, I think it's okay to say you can't compare against generations, but quite a reach to definitevely proclaim one generation "much better" than another.

Old
12-17-2004, 02:36 PM
Bring Back Bucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
He may break some of Roy's records but breaking records doesnt necessarly make you the greatest you know. Brodeur isnt even top 5 in the best goalie's list IMO.

Then Roy's records don't put him in the top five either

I hate 2 of the 3 netminders in this thread with a passion, but I can tell you, they are all great and to declare a wide gap amongst any of the three would be to resound with the shrill of blatant homerism.

Old
12-17-2004, 02:38 PM
Reilly311

Quote:

I think people saying Hasek would get more respect if he was North-American are just looking for an excuse.

not really. I mean he's the only goalie ever to win 2 MVP's. Won the Czech republic olympic gold by himself (look at his olympic stats). Could have won 8 straight vezina trophys if it wasn't for an injury and Jim Carey.

Old
12-17-2004, 02:38 PM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Bucky
I think that's a pretty hard statement to make. For starters, goalies 20 years ago faced many more difficult shots in a more wide-open game. I think if you watch video it's "painfully obvious" that the modern day netminder has gear covering a much, much larger portion of the net. I'm not disrespecting modern goalies, I think it's okay to say you can't compare against generations, but quite a reach to definitevely proclaim one generation "much better" than another.
I don't think its a stretch at all. Grant Fuhr in his prime right now would have a hard time cracking the top 10 IMO. Again, just my opinion.

Goalies are bigger (not just the gear), they are quicker (even with more gear) and much better puck-handlers these days than they were. You are entitled to your own opinion but from watching hockey through both generations, I can say with ease that goalies today are better.

Old
12-17-2004, 02:41 PM
Bring Back Bucky

Quote:
I don't think its a stretch at all. Grant Fuhr in his prime right now would have a hard time cracking the top 10 IMO. Again, just my opinion.

Goalies are bigger (not just the gear), they are quicker (even with more gear) and much better puck-handlers these days than they were. You are entitled to your own opinion but from watching hockey through both generations, I can say with ease that goalies today are better.
Opinion respected and noted, but having also watched hockey through both generations, I think you are dead-wrong. Doesn't mean we can't still love one another, though.

Old
12-17-2004, 02:41 PM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly311
not really. I mean he's the only goalie ever to win 2 MVP's. Won the Czech republic olympic gold by himself (look at his olympic stats). Could have won 8 straight vezina trophys if it wasn't for an injury and Jim Carey.
How many Stanley Cups ?? 1.

And Chris Osgood could have stayed in Detroit and won that cup.

Look, I'm not saying that he is not the best because some people will feel he is but for anyone to say that the reason he is not #1 is because he is a Czech, sounds like sour grapes to me.

Old
12-17-2004, 02:45 PM
Arastiroth

I simply don't see how you can't put Hasek #1 when looking at who is best (not in terms of best career). He was the single most frustrating player to watch my team to play against that I've ever seen. He was just amazing. He's the only goaltender to ever have me yell at my TV out of frustration. He was consistently a dominate force game-in game-out. The sabres would give up odd man rush after odd man rush and you could NEVER score on them. The Sabres knew you wouldn't either. I've never seen a team have so much confidence in the ability of their goalie. I hated him while he was playing, but now that he's retired (well, sorta... once he left Buffalo at least) I can look back and remember the years of frustration. Buffalo was always the team I wanted to meet least in the playoffs, all because of Hasek.

As for the #2 and #3 spot, I feel Brodeur and Roy are pretty close. I'll take Roy for #2 right now, just because he's played out his whole career and I know from day one to the last day what he'd give me. By the time Brodeur retires, I won't be surprised if he's #2 on this list, though.

Old
12-17-2004, 02:46 PM
Reilly311

Quote:
Look, I'm not saying that he is not the best because some people will feel he is but for anyone to say that the reason he is not #1 is because he is a Czech, sounds like sour grapes to me.

you don't think people are biased because of nationality? What world are you living in?

And no, Chris Osgood wouldn't have won the cup in 2002. The Wings don't win the cup if Hasek isn't playing for them.

Old
12-17-2004, 02:47 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Patrick Roy.

Martin Brodeur and Dominik Hasek are superb goaltenders with great credentials, but this is like a Jordan-NBA or Pele-soccer thing. Nobody comes close.

Old
12-17-2004, 02:53 PM
Arastiroth

Quote:
I think people saying Hasek would get more respect if he was North-American are just looking for an excuse.
While I think that played a minor part (North American's typically are more popular and tend to get a break easier by fans), I think the biggest reason Hasek isn't more well respected is he played in Buffalo. Hardly a big market or one that receives much national attention. It's similar to Washington and Bondra. Bondra didn't receive as much respect as he probably should've during his career (although this is a lesser case then Hasek's). Had Hasek played his whole career in Toronto, Montreal, Philadelphia, Detroit, etc he would've earned himself a lot more respect from fans, mostly due to increased exposure.

Old
12-17-2004, 04:05 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
How many Stanley Cups ?? 1.

And Chris Osgood could have stayed in Detroit and won that cup.

There are a lot of people that developed an irrational hate-on for Hasek because of the 1998 Olympics.

Old
12-18-2004, 06:07 PM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary
Roy's two best statistical post-seasons (B-Y F-A-R) were the two years that Bourque played for the Av's in the playoffs.

But that's nothing compared to what Doug Bodger did for Hasek... :lol
Actually Roy's best season was the year after bourque retired and the year with no forsberg. as for the playoffs he may have fell apart in gm 6 & 7 vs the wings but that same year he pitched 2 gm7 shutouts in the first 2 rounds.

Old
12-18-2004, 06:11 PM
canucksfan

Roy Brodeur Hasek

Old
12-18-2004, 06:13 PM
DRL
Streak killers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantonius
What about when Belfour outplayed Roy (two postseasons in a row)? Does that not count? Don't forget Hasek against Roy in 2002, either. The ironic thing about the 2001 Finals was how it was billed as a battle of the goaltenders, yet both pretty much sucked throughout the entire series (until Roy picked up the slack in Game 6 after Bourque made a speech to Colorado). Something tells me it was Bourque who pulled them through that entire year.

EDIT: Of course, Roy was more rested than Brodeur in 2001 and the same could be said about Hasek in 2002, which further proves how you cannot JUST use one series to support your comparison.
As far as Roy being more rested than Brodeur and Hasek, yes, as far as regular season games but Roy played in the western finals 4 years in a row, and in 2002 21 games compared to hasek's 17 or 18 games. To me that is one of his best accomplishments, consistency is Roy's trademark and that which sets him apart from the rest, he had 1 bad year in an 18 year career and that was the only year he missed the playoffs.

in 2001 finals roy had a shutout in game 1 and was very strong until the puck gaffe and the following game.

Old
12-18-2004, 06:18 PM
DRL
Streak killers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORRUS
Hasek, Brodeur, Roy

Roy didn't prove anything on the international level so that's why I put him on the third place. Goalie has to prove himself internationaly, not only in the NHL.
that's not Roy's fault, after winning the cup in 96 he wasnt even invited to world cup tournament, same as the 91 tourney, the guys putting the teams together went with their teams goalie.

in 2002 he wanted the rest for the playoffs after a short summer and after already expereincing the olympics in 98 and as far as 98, if Canada wins that shoot-out, Roy is MVP hands down for the tournament, the finland game nobody showed up including roy.

Old
12-18-2004, 06:33 PM
DRL
Streak killers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa420
You guys are wrong. Hasek has how many vezinas? 6? He entered the league at age 27! If he had joined at 20 when Roy did, would there be any question? Nope. Hasek was better then both at his prime, in 2005 I'd take Brodeaur over Hasek in a second though.
Jim Carrey has 2 vezinas

and belfour has what, none, so that arguement isn't everything.

maybe hasek wasnt good enough to play in the NHL when he was 20, ever think about that.

there is a reason roy is the youngest conn smythe winner ever, cuz he was damn good from the start of his career, you cant knock a guy for being good at a young age and say if-so-n-so played at the same age there would be no question,

heck if hasek had of started at 20 and got blitz who knows he could have been a carrey for all we know.

hasek put together the greatest 5-year by a goalie EVER, but in the long-term, over a career he ranks 3rd IMO,

Brodeur has been consistently good since he started just like Roy and for the Brodeur nay-sayers, in his early days the devils were not an elite team, brodeur made them an elite team.

the devils dont win the cup without the strong play of a young brodeur in 95.

the devils from 94-99 were no better than the sabres from 94-99

and for that matter the habs were no dynasty or powerhouse from 90-95 either.

i hate that knock on brodeur and roy, saying they always played for a great team whereas hasek played for poor-average teams, b#!!****t.

it's easier to win the vezina when you play for a weaker team,

roy 40 wins in 01 no vezina nomination,

your telling me theodore had a better year than roy in 02, yeah right, switch the teams and roy runs away with the vezina.

did hasek get any votes in 02 for the powerhouse wings, no.

wheres belfour votes when he played for the stars

brodeur got dogged for years cuz critics said his numbers were the result of the trapping devils

look at the winners in the last decade, how many played on so-called great teams?

when roy was winning the vezina the habs were not a top 5 team.

Old
12-18-2004, 07:17 PM
markov`

I'll say Hasek, Roy, Brodeur.

Hasek in his peak was unreal. Three of the greatest goaltender of all time, mainly because of the defensive era.

Old
12-18-2004, 07:26 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by markov`
I'll say Hasek, Roy, Brodeur.

Hasek in his peak was unreal. Three of the greatest goaltender of all time, mainly because of the defensive era.
I'd say Roy, Brodeur, Hasek

Hasek did not stay at the top as long as Roy, and Marty have.

Roy didn't always play in the defensive era.... in the mid 80 to the early 90's, you were considered a great goalie if your GAA was under 3.00 Roy pretty much stole 2 stanley cups on his own and won another two later on.

Marty is marty..... and his legend will still continue to grow and maybe one day pass Patrick.

Old
12-18-2004, 07:32 PM
DownFromNJ

He's not there yet, but Brodeur will retire known as the best goalie in the game's history.

But not yet.

Closed Thread