HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Question For Flyers Fans

Old
05-16-2012, 12:33 AM
Devonator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
If Kings win the cup, wouldn't Flyers fans get mocked perpetually for giving away Richards and Carter who got to raise Lord Stanley?
No because we got a huge return for those guys...indeed we smoked Columbus on the Carter Trade and we are at the very least, even with the Richards trade at this point and Simmonds and Schenn should only get better here.....and also, LA is winning because of not only Richards and Carter unless you have not noticed yet....

Devonator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:50 AM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonator View Post
we are at the very least, even with the Richards trade at this point and Simmonds and Schenn should only get better here...
huh? Even if the kings win the cup?

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:53 AM
10 ft. pole

Kings have really come from almost entirely 3 organizations aside from Scuds,Richardson, and Willie.

Drafted by LA
Flyer Player
Oiler Player
Canuck Player
Penguin Player
Avs Player

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Carter-Richards-Penner
Lewis-Stoll-King
Nolan-Fraser-Richardson

Doughty-Scuderi
Voynov-Mitchell
Greene-Martinez

Quick/Bernier

10 ft. pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:56 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Cheering for the kings.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:04 AM
danaluvsthekings

It was a trade that appears to be working out well for both teams. I don't see why people have to think one side or the other must win a trade. The deals were made with long term implications for all the teams involved. The Kings getting Carter and Richards with their long contracts, the Flyers getting a ton of young assets, and Columbus got Johnson, who's locked up for awhile too.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpyD View Post
They've been my 1B since June.

They wouldn't care. The trades are won by Holmgren regardless around here
One definitely was, the other...so so.

I'd love Hexy, Richie, Gags and Williams to win a cup, Carter not so much.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:21 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Hexy & Gagne are 2 of my favorite players ever. Richards isn't far behind, I've always liked Williams, and I'm even a Carter fan.

I think we clearly won the Carter trade but I personally think the jury is still out on the Richards deal.

I couldn't care less if fans of other teams perpetually mock the Flyers over this. Mock away. I'd like to see this Kings team win it all.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:17 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Without a doubt.
And Gagne is my favourite player period. His name needs to be on the Cup.

It's funny how many people seem to think Philly would be put on suicide watch if the Kings win it all.

nevermore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:22 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
If the Kings win the Cup, you can consider the trade good for both teams, but in no way can you consider the Flyers 'winners' until they do it twice.

However, there are a lot of people now saying that it's a good trade for both teams, who 3 months ago declared the Flyers winners of the trade with Simmonds in the midst of a career year, and Richards maybe in the midst of his worst. It can still be a good trade for both teams, but in the interim, if the Kings win the Cup, they would have to be considered winners as Richards has outplayed both Simmonds and Schenn combined in the playoffs - where the Flyers generally determine how successful their season was.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:27 AM
Lockjaw333

I'd love to see Richards and Carter win a cup, but it would burn bad. I am one of the few I guess who was really upset when the trades happened. I love the return we got, but I also LOVED Richards and never had a problem with Carter. I think we were a step or two away from a cup and the city and management gave up on the team. Its hard to imagine not winning one with Richards, Carter, Briere, Giroux down the middle...

Also love Gagne, one of my all time favorites.

However if its not gonna be the Kings, I gotta go for the Rangers. Out of everyone in the playoffs, Henrik Lundqvist deserves this cup for than anyone. He has been outstanding for years and has suffered through crap teams and gross mismanagement, but his game never wavered. That guy is the epitome of a franchise goalie and he wants it so bad. Would LOVE to see him when he gets his hands on that Cup and raises it above his head. I get goosebumps thinking about it (and thats coming from a Flyers fan!)

Lockjaw333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:32 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
It's funny how many people seem to think Philly would be put on suicide watch if the Kings win it all.
The media will need it. Even if one doesn't care about the outcome, plenty of people in this town (and beyond) would love to see those guys squirm like roaches. The city would turn on them more than they already have, if they're not completely consumed with their own bitterness.

I also don't buy the 'they weren't going to win it here' argument people make, they were in OT of Game 6 of the Finals with a minor-league goaltender, and less than a year later it was decided that it couldn't be done. That's quite the gross miscalculation. Carchidi might go into the witness protection program.

Last edited by GKJ: 05-16-2012 at 07:37 AM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:32 AM
TOCxNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hof2120 View Post
While I'm not a fan of Carter, and won't be willing to argue with anyone here as to why, I'd like the Kings to win out of all the teams left.

If I had to pick a team in the East, I'd pick the Rangers. I'd simply rather see Lundqvist win than Brodeur and Kovalchuk.
I agree with the above 100%.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:33 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00d View Post
Carter and Richards winning a Cup also means Ron Hextall wins a Cup, because he's Executive VP and Assistant GM of the Kings. I know there's more than a few fans in Philly who would love to see Hextall hoist the chalice.
and don't forget Simon Gagne who was really loved in Philly and I'm sure plenty of fans want to see him win one as well

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:37 AM
TOCxNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
If Kings win the cup, wouldn't Flyers fans get mocked perpetually for giving away Richards and Carter who got to raise Lord Stanley?
Maybe from unintelligent people. Carter/richards if they weren't traded does not equal a cup for the flyers. In fact I'd argue the flyers were a better team overall this year and will continue to get better with the new group.

Old
05-16-2012, 07:40 AM
TOCxNJ

Quote:
Impossible to know.

Grossman was had for a draft pick. Just because it was the Kings's draft pick doesn't mean it would have been impossible or unlikely for us to acquire him (don't forget we wasted a 2nd on Kubina).

Bryz could have fit under the cap with Richards and Carter. Also, statistics do not suggest Bob/Boosh would have been worse.
You're basically saying "don't think in what if's...but what if..."

Old
05-16-2012, 07:44 AM
TOCxNJ

Quote:
huh? Even if the kings win the cup?
Yes. Our return, i'd argue, was even better immediately and will continue to get better.

How do people not understand that this is a team sport. Carter/richards did not "bring the cup" to la, LOL.

sorry for the multiple posts.

Old
05-16-2012, 08:31 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
The Kings are basically a second Flyers team in the playoffs
Except you know the Kings have actually have a decent goalie. Something that's eluded the Flyers for the past two or three decades.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:28 AM
phantomphan

Ron F-ing Hextall. Go Kings!

The Flyers wanted Richards and Carter to be the linchpins and it's quite obvious they excel at being part of the wheel. Too much pressure and too little goaltending in Philly. Good luck to both of them as well as Williams and Gagne.

phantomphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Jgboys1

I am rooting for the Kings now, Anybody but the rangers. If the rangers beat the devils, then I will become a even bigger Kings fan.

Jgboys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:50 AM
who_me?

Richards
Carter
Gagne
Williams

who_me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:59 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
I'm for sure rooting for L.A. It was a mistake to pick Lavy's offensive style over Richards/Carter. There aren't many players like Richards out there and that hit on Burrowes really set the tone for the playoffs for the Kings in my mind.

flyersfan187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:20 AM
PhillyPhaithful

I have always liked LA and I think the trade worked out grey for both of us. I 100% want them to win it all I love their team.

PhillyPhaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Justified
Sack Holmgren &Amaro

vCash: 673
Of course I am, over those two evil teams from the East. Hopefully Simon Gagne could be healthy enough for the Finals and if one of the kings were to go down, he could step in. But I dont think they have had any injuries yet so who knows?

As far your 2nd question goes, Id rather not go down that road. I have more friends that Devils fans due the fact of living in New Jersey. But I dont really want to think about the scenarios. As long as the west winner wins Ill be happy.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Knight of the Realm
Go Kings Go!

I had somewhat of a hard time with LA dealing Schenn and Simmonds. Seeing Richards in the playoffs makes it easier to see them go. I do think they will be solid players for Philly in the years to come.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:49 AM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

I want Gagne to win the Cup. Seeing Richards and Carter win it will make me sick but it'll be worth it.

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote