HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

LA/PHX Game 2 - Guess the Shanabans (Hanzal faces hearing 5/16)

Old
05-16-2012, 01:28 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

vCash: 500
Hanzal: 3

Morris: 1

Smith: maybe a fine, but probably not

Doan: 0

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:43 AM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaIsHockey View Post
A one handed slash like that will not injure a player.
I'm a goalie myself, when being screened at times I do chop at a player's legs to get them off, frustrate them, or hope they turn around and retaliate.
When I'm frustrated vs a certain player, it has happened in occasion I chop at their leg harder to hurt them a little.
Maybe what Smith did was a bit more on the excessive side as he was frustrated more than anything, but apart from a bruise, that slash won't cause any more damage.
Because it was more than the typical chop a goalie takes, that's why I think a fine would be justified. All goalies are going to take a whack at a guy from time to time and I don't think anyone really has a problem with it. Like you said, this one was a bit more excessive. As for trying to get the Kings to retaliate, they didn't retaliate in the Canucks series, didn't in the Blues series, and didn't for the most part tonight. I don't think that strategy is going to work.

They showed the Morris kneeing penalty on NHL Tonight on NHLN for those that missed it. He stuck out his knee and did get a piece of Scuderi but I don't know that it was any worse than a regular kneeing penalty.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:46 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Hanzal gets 1 game because I believe I read earlier that he has no history and no injury (right now), so I think 1 game is sufficient.

The other players in question will get a eithor a fine or a slap on the wrist.

Hope Brown is Ok and there isn't an injury that he's hiding or didn't show up right away.
Man that guy was getting targeted out there.

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Palffy3314

Doan doesn't deserve a suspension. 0 games for him because Lewis turned at the last second. Hanzal isn't a repeat offender, but I think he deserves a game off. Smith went out of his way to hurt Brown, but the league probably does nothing about it (I'm not even sure if that's suspension worthy, but I definitely think it was an attempt to injure.)

Palffy3314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Dave33
Still smiling

Hanzal gets 1, maybe 2, nobody else gets anything.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:05 AM
MartyForVezina
Aspiring 1%er

So tired of hearing "it's the checking players responsibility not to hit the guy when his back is turned blah blah blah". How about it's at least partially the responsibility of the player with the puck not to suddenly turn and place himself in a vulnerable position?

I wish the NHL would wake up and not even give Doan a penalty in that situation. Here's an idea Lewis, dont quickly put your back to a player when he is a foot away from you. That's your own damn fault.

Doan - 0
Hanzal - Fine, maybe 1. That was cheap.

MartyForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:13 AM
UlaTek

Hanzal: maybe 1-2 games

Everyone else: Nothing

UlaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Azumi*

They play for the Coyotes and are important to that team. The NHL wants the Coyotes to win the cup, no way are they going to hurt their chances by suspending one of their important players.

Azumi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:14 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

If there's any it would be Hanzal and possibly for 1 game, kinda like what happened to Clifford.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:16 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Per Kypreos:

https://twitter.com/#!/RealKyper/sta...29239135535104

"Coyotes Hanzal faces #NHL discipline hearing later today. Doan major/ Morris kneeing penalty will not be questioned further."

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:17 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Per Kypreos:

https://twitter.com/#!/RealKyper/sta...29239135535104

"Coyotes Hanzal faces #NHL discipline hearing later today. Doan major/ Morris kneeing penalty will not be questioned further."
Sounds about right.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:18 AM
Fleury4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDEuph View Post
Hanzal - 0 - No history...Shanny will recognize the Canucks style Dive
Doan - 2 - Has History...Obvious injury...
Wanna bet?

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:33 AM
symbology

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I don't think Doan gets suspended. Watching it a couple of times after the game, Lewis saw him coming and turned into the boards. I'm not totally sure that it was even a penalty, but the major was definitely punishment enough. I didn't really get the impression that the hit was all that malicious.

Hanzal gets two games. That wasn't simply reckless play, it was clearly intentional. He wanted to put Brown on a stretcher, and he's lucky that he didn't or he would be joining Raffi Torres in the "No Hockey in October" club.
Lewis was not in control of the puck. He knocked it loose from the other players and it bounces behind him along the boards. He turns his head then body looking for the puck. WTF was he supposed to do in that situation? Doan was looking to lay a big hit and did not read the situation very well. Worth a penalty for sure, 5 minutes I'm okay with it. Is it worth a suspension? We will see, but I doubt it.

Shanahan will be busy for sure....

symbology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Minor Boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Sounds about right.
Actually it's not. The Morris kneeing was a clearcut intent to injure (could've easily blow out Scuderis knee) that could've put Scuderis career in jeopardy.
Out of all those situations the kneeing was the dirtiest.

Minor Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:50 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Boarding View Post
Actually it's not. The Morris kneeing was a clearcut intent to injure (could've easily blow out Scuderis knee) that could've put Scuderis career in jeopardy.
Out of all those situations the kneeing was the dirtiest.
But he didn't blow out his knee. It was an example of a kneeing penalty, but not a suspension. If brown was injured then we would all be expecting 3+ games for Hanzal. That was not a bad knee and ive seen it not called a suspension worthy play all year.

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:54 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
The ref who called Brown for a dive should not see another game
Honestly I think the ref saw the slash by Smith and his arm went up instinctively and then he realized that he was about to put the Kings on a 5-on-3 for about the next 6 minutes of the game.

Lame to not go ahead and call it as he sees it, but I think that's what happened and why Brown got a penalty.

They got the right guy in Hanzel for the disciplinary hearing as his hit was by far the most reckless.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:58 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDEuph View Post
Hanzal - 0 - No history...Shanny will recognize the Canucks style Dive
Doan - 2 - Has History...Obvious injury...
Yeah, don't think so. I know you have a lot of experience with concussive injuries to the brain though. That is fairly obvious.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:03 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

The lack of supplemental discipline against Doan is the right call. Lewis turned last second.

Hanzal will probably get 1-2. Textbook board that the league wants to get rid of, considering how fast both were moving, and the timing in which Hanzal starts pushing Brown in the danger zone.

Morris led with his knee and traveled a good distance. Seemed pretty blatant and intentional. How this goes overlooked, I have no idea.

I do think Smith should have got some supplemental discipline. It was an unprovoked slash to a poorly protected part of Brown's knee. It's not like they were battling for space or a slash to a protected area. As Milbury said, the goalies are getting a lot more protection nowadays; seems a bit strange to let the protected player take cheap shots at the opposition.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:22 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
I do think Smith should have got some supplemental discipline. It was an unprovoked slash to a poorly protected part of Brown's knee. It's not like they were battling for space or a slash to a protected area. As Milbury said, the goalies are getting a lot more protection nowadays; seems a bit strange to let the protected player take cheap shots at the opposition.
Guys run goalies ALL the time now, its way worse than before. The amount of stickwork by goalies protecting themselves is about 1/10th of what would happen when hextall or billy smith played. And its not
just the runs, in goal mouth scrambles a lot of guys just try to push the goalie around under the guise of trying to play the puck. If the league is not going to protect the goalies, I have no problem with them protecting themselves.

I know that people like to imply that the Shannaban is so capricious and arbitrary, but for once I kind of agree with the general consensus in this thread

Hanzal = gets a game, two at the max
Doan = nothing
Smith = nothing ( in terms of suspension) if they give him a fine so
as to be able to prevent this in the future as he would be a
repeat offender, then I'm okay with that as well but he is not
going to sit and its not like he is going to miss the dough.

I didn't see the knee

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:24 AM
TOML

LA pims 24mins
Phx pims 54mins

LA's league-leading power play time per game for the playoffs continues. NYR has the 2nd-most. LA-NYR finals = Bettman's wet dream = Being helped along. Cheers.

TOML

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOML View Post
LA pims 24mins
Phx pims 54mins

LA's league-leading power play time per game for the playoffs continues. NYR has the 2nd-most. LA-NYR finals = Bettman's wet dream = Being helped along. Cheers.

TOML
Yeah, those 2 teams are playing so crappy it's a wonder how they are drawing more penalties than the rest of the teams....

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:35 AM
donkers*

Quote:
LA pims 24mins
Phx pims 54mins

TOML
No, Bettman wants a Stanley Cup ring.

donkers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:36 AM
sepster

Quote:
LA pims 24mins
Phx pims 54mins

TOML
Phoenix well-deserved that huge disparity in penalties. They couldn't handle the Kings' size and speed early so they gooned it up late.

Doan deserves no further discipline.

Hanzal should be suspended a game.

Morris was the worst. Pretty hard to argue against intent or "hockey play gone wrong." That was a stupid, dangerous play and deserves be looked at. NHL drops the ball on that one....again.

sepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:53 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
Guys run goalies ALL the time now, its way worse than before. The amount of stickwork by goalies protecting themselves is about 1/10th of what would happen when hextall or billy smith played. And its not
just the runs, in goal mouth scrambles a lot of guys just try to push the goalie around under the guise of trying to play the puck. If the league is not going to protect the goalies, I have no problem with them protecting themselves.
This is true. But this isn't a case of a guy crashing the net, or attempting to play the puck. Brown skates in front of Smith never touching him or even looking at him. Smith takes a one handed chop to the back of his knee. For what? Did Brown fart in his general direction or something? It was an unprovoked swing at a guys knee in an attempt to injure in a game that was getting out of hand. Smith wasn't protecting himself, he wasn't trying to play the puck, he wasn't doing anything other than trying to take a guy out because he was frustrated. I doubt he gets anything, not even a fine, but to brush it off as Smith protecting himself is just crazy. Especially when put in the context of this game.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:04 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
This is true. But this isn't a case of a guy crashing the net, or attempting to play the puck. Brown skates in front of Smith never touching him or even looking at him. Smith takes a one handed chop to the back of his knee. For what? Did Brown fart in his general direction or something? It was an unprovoked swing at a guys knee in an attempt to injure in a game that was getting out of hand. Smith wasn't protecting himself, he wasn't trying to play the puck, he wasn't doing anything other than trying to take a guy out because he was frustrated. I doubt he gets anything, not even a fine, but to brush it off as Smith protecting himself is just crazy. Especially when put in the context of this game.
I think Smith was probably thinking, well they're already on a 5 on 3, they're not going to call me for anything, and took a chance to slow down one of the better skaters so far in these playoffs. Like others have said, a goalie would have to pretty seriously injure a skater before he gets more than a minor penalty. It is a bit ridiculous because the Kings can't do anything to try and pay Smith back because goalies are so well protected by the refs and if there's anything more than incidental contact, Smith goes down like he's been shot and the refs are buying it.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote