HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Conference Semifinals Most Watched Ever

Old
05-16-2012, 02:01 AM
rangers5000

vCash: 500
Conference Semifinals Most Watched Ever

for those complaining how this playoffs is boring, and teams like new york are killing the game, seems like your in the minority

numbers are in and they don't lie, don't pass your opinions off as facts, i like facts

in round 2 numbers are up 23% from last year, and this trend continued into this round, ratings are not only up but up big

but i thought the game was so boring?

rangers5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 02:03 AM
LSnow

But did it beat rerun of Family Matters..

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 02:05 AM
rangers5000

im waiting for the spin that some of you will put on this, ignoring the real numbers and passing your opinion off as fact

rangers5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 02:07 AM
Geronimo

Where I live in California everyone has been following hockey more this year due to the newly added NBC Sports Channel. I've never seen so much Kings gear being worn as there is now.

Geronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 02:33 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Everyone's watching to see how boring the games will become

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 02:55 AM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

I've never seen New York like this over the Rangers. They're in Yankees/Mets territory right now. Not surprised viewership is up.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:07 AM
StringerBell

You cannot try to correlate viewership with entertainment factor. Just because more people are watching the playoffs this year does not mean they are more entertaining than last year. If that were the case then I cant imagine by what factor the Royal Wedding would have been deemed more entertaining than any NHL game.

Entertainment factor cannot be judged by numbers short of hooking up subjects to brain scanners and measuring a neurological response.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:08 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
game 1 of devils/rangers draws 1.28 million. Down a bit from game 1 last year (1.54).
tb+bos>ny+nj

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:12 AM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLager View Post
You cannot try to correlate viewership with entertainment factor. Just because more people are watching the playoffs this year does not mean they are more entertaining than last year. If that were the case then I cant imagine by what factor the Royal Wedding would have been deemed more entertaining than any NHL game.

Entertainment factor cannot be judged by numbers short of hooking up subjects to brain scanners and measuring a neurological response.
Conversely, if this round had really low ratings, you would be using that as proof that the games were boring.

So no matter what, you will flop around until your opinion is always right. Cute.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:12 AM
DL44

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
tb+bos>ny+nj
so.. we have condradictory numbers? or is someone missing a part of their equations? or going US only vs North America total?

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:15 AM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
so.. we have condradictory numbers? or is someone missing a part of their equations? or going US only vs North America total?
no contradicting numbers at all. The thread is about the second round. You quoted a post pertaining to the third round.

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:18 AM
El Duderino

No way, you mean to say that a conference semi-finals with LA, New York and Philly (3 of the top 5 most populous US cities) and the Capitals (who have a large following thanks to Ovechkin) along with no Canadian teams taking away from potential viewership produced high ratings? I am shocked!

El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:30 AM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Edit: Never mind. I see that discussion got deleted.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:51 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
Conversely, if this round had really low ratings, you would be using that as proof that the games were boring.

So no matter what, you will flop around until your opinion is always right. Cute.
Regardless of your apparent clairvoyance and precognition (which I find quite arrogant), I have no interest in trying to *prove* anything, as cute as it may be. All I am saying is that using viewership numbers are a terrible way to gauge entertainment level. Factors such as accessibility, marketing, interest level and population are often much more important for ratings.

The fact that more people are watching this year is a good indication that people still find playoff hockey entertaining, however it is not a good indication that they are more entertaining than last year, as many factors come into play here.

Please dont make me link the article claiming more people watched a 6am re-run of Family Matters than Pit-Phi 1st round for further evidence.

Old
05-16-2012, 04:55 AM
Temid

Quote:

Why not? You are actually implying that all those people watch playoffs cause they get bored at the screens? You cannot correlate viewership numbers with your own personal entertainment factor, but im pretty sure im not going to bed at 8pm, sleeping till midnight or 1am to watch a game from 3 to 5am getting zombie mode at work and risking some heavy flak from the missus cause im bored.

I agree with you that these matchups are not interesting or fun for some people.. fx. personally i wouldnt be watching if LA wouldnt be in the race anymore. But in overall it doesnt really matter for ice hockey as such. For league only numbers matter. More viewers means more monies, more monies means more quality and more quality means (hopefully) more viewers.. etc etc.. So in the grand scheme bigger numbers are better for whole system and i dont understand why people are upset by that?

Temid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:00 AM
Temid

Quote:
Please dont make me link the article claiming more people watched a 6am re-run of Family Matters than Pit-Phi 1st round for further evidence.
That doesnt really matter, unless you support those numbers with last years numbers with which you canl prove that last year less viewers watched FM and more watched playoffs (since we are not really comparing if FM and PO, but are comparing 2011 PO and 2012 PO.. unless im mistaken?).

Old
05-16-2012, 05:07 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

I wonder what the ratings are like in Canada. It's great that people are watching in California and Phoenix and those are some really big eastern markets that always draw well. But I know a lot of hockey fans and they aren't watching.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:09 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temid View Post
Why not? You are actually implying that all those people watch playoffs cause they get bored at the screens? You cannot correlate viewership numbers with your own personal entertainment factor, but im pretty sure im not going to bed at 8pm, sleeping till midnight or 1am to watch a game from 3 to 5am getting zombie mode at work and risking some heavy flak from the missus cause im bored.

I agree with you that these matchups are not interesting or fun for some people.. fx. personally i wouldnt be watching if LA wouldnt be in the race anymore. But in overall it doesnt really matter for ice hockey as such. For league only numbers matter. More viewers means more monies, more monies means more quality and more quality means (hopefully) more viewers.. etc etc.. So in the grand scheme bigger numbers are better for whole system and i dont understand why people are upset by that?
Not at all. I am saying that just because more people watch A than B it does not mean A is more entertaining than B. Its great that more people are watching now but that is not really indicative of whether these playoffs have been more or less exciting to the unbiased, seasoned fan.

Last edited by StringerBell: 05-16-2012 at 05:25 AM.
Old
05-16-2012, 05:11 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:

He's just saying that the amount of people watching the games has no bearing on the entertainment quality of the games and he's right. Tons of people watch baseball and baseball is still one of the most boring things to watch until the final two innings!

The amount of people doing something or caring about something only means one thing: it the poopular thing to do. Hockey has finally reached the level of indie cred it was destined to garner: very exciting sport that not a whole lot of people cared about for a long time. Hockey is the cool thing right now so it's normal to have increased viewership.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:21 AM
Barnission

Quote:
You contradict yourself without even ending your sentence.

Quote:
I don't care if the NHL is making more money. Are you saying hockey was bad in the 70s? 80s? 50s? I don't think I've ever seen hockey as a sport get better because the league is making more money. In fact, that doesn't even make any sense.

Barnission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:03 AM
Temid

Quote:
Not at all. I am saying that just because more people watch A than B it does not mean A is more entertaining than B. Its great that more people are watching now but that is not really indicative of whether these playoffs have been more or less exciting to the unbiased, seasoned fan.
Yes, i agree with that. Overall viewing numbers cant tell much about entertainment value for a specific group of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy
He's just saying that the amount of people watching the games has no bearing on the entertainment quality of the games and he's right. Tons of people watch baseball and baseball is still one of the most boring things to watch until the final two innings!
And i agree with that. I was just making a point that he was generalizing a bit to much.
Personally im slowly developing a slight to strong distaste for baseball and i would never watch a game of it. No matter who plays, no matter what they are playing for. But i wont go and say that it has no entertainmant value in general.

Old
05-16-2012, 06:10 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
On NBCSN.

An important distinction since the first round has local broadcasts.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:18 AM
Temid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnission View Post
You contradict yourself without even ending your sentence.
How am i contradicting myself? Its an honest question btw, im not a native english speaker so maybe i wrote smth wrong. You did notice that my question/statement is rhetorical right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnission View Post
I don't care if the NHL is making more money. Are you saying hockey was bad in the 70s? 80s? 50s? I don't think I've ever seen hockey as a sport get better because the league is making more money. In fact, that doesn't even make any sense.
You are missing the point. And im not sure if i want to go there, cause it wont have much to do with OP post anymore.

The OP says that this year playoffs are not boring cause lots of people are watching them. And i agree with that. I also agree that that doesnt mean they are more interesting for every1.
My point was only that if you fall into the other group that doesnt think POs are fun to watch that doesnt mean that you are in the majority. You may still have better taste than majority, you may still have more hockey knowledge that majority but in this specific instance that doesnt matter.
And unless you have some better meters how to measure entertanimant value than viewers numbers we are stuck with them. So let me ask you, how would you measure entertainman value of a hockey match? Objectivly (if that is even a word?).

Old
05-16-2012, 06:20 AM
SRTtoZ

The 1st and 2nd most populated cities in the US are represented in the playoffs. This isnt a surprise IMO. Bada ba ba ba I'm lovin it.

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:05 AM
alpine4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
But did it beat rerun of Family Matters..
??? Family Matters, as in Steve Urkle..?

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote