HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eastern Conference Finals | Game 2 | Devils vs. Rangers | 8PM | NBCSN

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Flame Demers*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Eats View Post
The super shot blocking teams have gotten far in the playoffs in recent years, but they haven't won the Cup.

The way to beat them is by having a three layered attack. Shoot pucks from the point and have a forward there in the middle of the ice at the first shot blocking level. When the puck is loose after a block, take it from them and shovel it to the net again. If it's blocked again by the second level, have a guy waiting at the doorstep. The third forward should be waiting by the boards on the side of the ice with the puck to try and get a sharp angle shot if it's a Sykora-type player. When the puck is passed left and right, rotate the guy at the boards with the guy in the high slot.

You can beat shot blockers. It's a weak system designed to beat weak teams.
I agree with this whole statement. Here is one thing I would like to add, however its not an argument.

When you look back on the loss to carolina, tampa, and ottawa (all the years they made it to finals) i remember thinking, man, these guys block a ton of shots and the devils are having a hard time getting things through to the goalies. it just scares me.

I am positive however heading into tonights game. I felt a lot worse after the game 1 loss to philly last round. I think they have the skill, coaching staff and desire to make proper adjustments and come out with a win tonight.

I hope they do not get into early penalty trouble and we cant give them 5 pps.

If so many players are committed to blocking shots other lanes have to be open, the D needs to be creative with out getting to risky.

LETS GO DEVILS..

Old
05-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
We've had success with those lines in the past. I'm hoping we can sort of overwhelm those four.
Me too, but they've been holding up strong so far. How much can they take before they break?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
Shoot hard. If a Rag gets injured for a couple weeks, so be it.
I want to see Kovy loading up the cannon tonight. If there's anyone on the Devils whose shot they'll be afraid of, it's Kovy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
As per TG - DeBoer said he's not "married" to these line combos for tonight's game.
He always says that.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Dat avatar, my goodness.

Gold RG, pure gold.

Get under his skin, sensitive Swede will crumble like a house of cards once you score one or two on his self-confident majesty.

Aim high glove and crash the crease, it`s just a matter of time.

Also, use more pump fake shots, pass with more accuracy and even more importantly, move your feet.

#DownGoesEveryShotblockingRanger

Old
05-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Mustangs

Send a message via MSN to Mustangs
I am leaving work early tonight to watch the game at home. SO BRING YOUR A GAME!!! Lets go Devils!!!!!
You know I mean buisness when i type in capital lettters!

Old
05-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Chico Eats

Yes to pump faking shots! I really hope DeBoer is thinking about making some schematic changes because you can't treat a team with soft wingers like any other team.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:38 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Talking about the fact that shot blocking takes a toll and often comes with injury is perfectly fine. Talking about hoping someone takes a shot in the face and picks up their teeth, or gets their adam's apple crushed is not.

Site rules forbid posting about hoping for an injury on a player. Post at your own risk.
Will Marty be getting an infraction?

Old
05-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post

I want to see Kovy loading up the cannon tonight. If there's anyone on the Devils whose shot they'll be afraid of, it's Kovy.
Sykora as well. He can still fire screamers.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:42 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
Tom Gulitti ‏ @TGfireandice
Brodeur sat at a podium yesterday and answered every question. No one -- NJ/NY or national media -- asked him about that comment.

Tom Gulitti ‏ @TGfireandice
The paper that made it out that Brodeur wants Devils to shoot at Rangers' heads had 2 reporters there. Didn't ask him about that quote.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:43 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
As per TG - DeBoer said he's not "married" to these line combos for tonight's game.
oh for gods sake, im so sick of hearing about north carolina

Old
05-16-2012, 11:44 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke3026 View Post
I really need to find a more productive use of my nervous energy.

My apologies to MartyOwns...

awesome job, dont you apologize. the torch has been passed. we lost on the last one i did, so i stopped. the baton has been passed

Old
05-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Nova Scotia Islander

After last game with all their shot blocking the way around it is to put someone at the hash marks when the pass goes to the point you have to pass right back to the man on the boards and then across to the man in the slot that way it traps two or three guys at the point attempting to block the shot. That and shoot a couple of high shots to start the game keep them thinking that we are shoot high and or low once they are not sure where its going they wont be as quick to drop in front of it. One kovy one timer hits and Rags player in the upper body they will be leaving the game and the rest of the Rags wont be so eager to block.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Nova Scotia Islander

With kovy and parise back together it will free up alot of room for kovy to unleash his cannon and Parise to pick up the rebounds. That and it will force the rangers to change their lines a bit as well to cover those two. Now we have to hope that clarkson, Zubrus and the rest of the team can step up and score.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Luke3026
When you're burned..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
awesome job, dont you apologize. the torch has been passed. we lost on the last one i did, so i stopped. the baton has been passed
Thanks. Okay, if we win tonight, I'll continue. If we lose, hmmm.....some sort of futurespeak??

Old
05-16-2012, 11:50 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Jersey Fan View Post
After last game with all their shot blocking the way around it is to put someone at the hash marks when the pass goes to the point you have to pass right back to the man on the boards and then across to the man in the slot that way it traps two or three guys at the point attempting to block the shot. That and shoot a couple of high shots to start the game keep them thinking that we are shoot high and or low once they are not sure where its going they wont be as quick to drop in front of it. One kovy one timer hits and Rags player in the upper body they will be leaving the game and the rest of the Rags wont be so eager to block.
The Caps did this to perfection on Ovechkin's goal in Game 6.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Nova Scotia Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieharddevilsfan30 View Post
I like these lines I think one reason Pete may have to going back to the old lines is to get Elias going again because he seems to play way better when he has Sykora and Zubrus on his wings. The only question I have is why are they scratching Larsson all of a sudden?
Herold has more speed and really has played better in playoffs would be my guess. Larsson hasnt played bad but need to go with experience when you need a win.

Also Sykora didnt do anything last game. Last time I said he wasnt doing anything he scored so hope it works again. I am almost ready to say sit sykora one game and put Boulton or Janssen in to forecheck and hit hard the rangers D are banged up and with someone just out there looking to run guys over they will be coughing the puck up more.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Nova Scotia Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
The Caps did this to perfection on Ovechkin's goal in Game 6.

Look at Torts face after ovy scores the goal its almost like, OMG someone found a weakness in my system.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Devilcake

Lets get it on!!! Lgd win this plz. Why is larsson not in the lineup? I thought hecwas the best d-man last game

Old
05-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Scott04

Oooo fancy pictures.

Lets Go Devils

Old
05-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Nova Scotia Islander

The only problem with the Rangers system is yeah its great to block all those shots but it is also very tiring. So faster puck movement, fake the shot pass off to someone else and then shoot or give and goes. Every time a Rags player goes down to block a shot it uses alot of engergy to get back up and skate your ass off and then drop again to block. More puck movement. If we come out flying in the first the Rags will be burnt by the start of the second. I also think they should dress Boulton and Janssen for warmups just to play mind games with Torts. Also this will get Prust and Rupp thinking they will have to fight and throw them off a bit

Old
05-16-2012, 12:09 PM
lightsout

I shaved yesterday. Devils are 7-0 in the playoffs when I shave the day of or the day before they play. They are 1-5 (game 5 vs Flyers is the only win) when I do not.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:10 PM
Captain Lou

Send a message via AIM to Captain Lou
Every game in this series is going to come down to one or two plays. We let our guard down for 1 shift on Monday and lost because of it.

Our best chances the other night came shorthanded and that is unacceptable. The other team whose name I refuse to mention played in my mind a perfect defensive game. While that is probably not going to happen again, 2 or 3 goals is going to be the max for either team, so we need to capitalize on the few chances we are going to get.

Scoring the first goal means so much more in these low-scoring snoozefests that the other team plays. Simply because it changes the way the other team plays the game. We need that first one tonight.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Bleedred
LATEST VICTIM!

Hope Marty is good again tonight. he's due for a bad one, but he was fantastic Monday night. Though his puck handling was frightening at times.

I would like to see some screens. The Devils have a REALLY good PP for rarely screening the oppositions goaltender. I think we would be top 5 in the league if we did that more often.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:18 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 50
This game will tell me if the Devils are serious about winning or are just going to let Lundqvist be their daddy again.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:21 PM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
Well it didn't take the main board thread to implode, get locked and cleaned up now did it?

Closed Thread