HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1 Game Suspension for Hanzal; No Discipline for Doan or Morris

Old
05-16-2012, 09:09 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

vCash: 500
1 Game Suspension for Hanzal; No Discipline for Doan or Morris

Per Kypreos. Hanzal's hearing is scheduled for later today. No suspensions looming for Doan or Morris.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:16 AM
rajuabju

Sounds right to me.

The Doan hit was brutal, but certainly not intentional. The 5 + Game was the right and sufficient call.

I was not expecting anything on Morris (or Smith). Cheap, a bit dirty, but its the playoffs, and you cant expect Shanny to suspend everything.

Hanzal gets 1-3 games.

rajuabju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:17 AM
Cup 4 the Kings
It only took 45 yrs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Per Kypreos. Hanzal's hearing is scheduled for later today. No suspensions looming for Doan or Morris.
I agree with the no suspension for Doan, but Morris' knee on Scuds was pretty blatant and dirty. That kind of play could end a player's career. I think he should have at least received a fine if not a game or 2.

Cup 4 the Kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Slycer

I didn't even catch what Morris did, but Smith should oh-so at least get a fine.

Slycer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:36 AM
jml87

Figured this would be what happened. Still hate that ******** by Smith. He was obviously trying to injure but because it wasn't to the head, they won't do anything.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:40 AM
Cup 4 the Kings
It only took 45 yrs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
I didn't even catch what Morris did, but Smith should oh-so at least get a fine.
He intentionally stuck his knee out at Scuderi while Scuds was skating across the O-zone and took him out. Couldn't find a Youtube of it.

Cup 4 the Kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Perro

I thought that Smith and Morris may get fines, just so the NHL has more money in their players fund.
You have to think that with the brutal diving call that Brown will be given the benefit of the doubt should he and smith collide again.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:55 AM
moosehead81

Hanzal's hit was extremely dirty, Brown didn't have the puck and Hanzal certainly knew who he was targetting- should be worth 3-5 games but will likely get only one (cause it's the Coyotes and Brown didn't appear hurt blah, blah, blah) Doan also deserves at least a game, given some of the discipline doled out earlier in the season but won't cause of the above and the inconsistencies of Shanhan. Morris' knee was an intent to injure as was Smith's slash. And the ref who called the dive by Brown on the slash should try and see if he can continue to stand after getting whacked like that. Call the game properly and disregard the score or penalty situation!

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:03 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

I'll be pleased if it's 2 games. I'm expecting one.

Hanzal is a pretty key piece of the Coyotes lineup. Having him gone is a huge bonus.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Dave33
Still smiling

Quote:

Hanzal is a pretty key piece of the Coyotes lineup. Having him gone is a huge bonus.
I want 2 so that there is a good chance he doesn't get to play again this year. Dirty *******.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:22 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Hanzal has little or no history. I don't know if he is going to get more than a fine

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:27 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:

Does it really matter though? Smith was the only reason Phoenix made it to the conference finals.

Unless the Kings completely melt down, I don't see Phoenix winning 4 of 5 against the Kings. Sutter has them too focused to slow down now.

Kings have made all three opponents look silly. The excuses will never end with some of their fan bases, but people need to look at what the Kings are doing instead of what their team isn't doing. It's one thing for a coach to call out his own players because he can't admit to the press that his team is playing well and are being dominated.

Phoenix played their game in game 2 and lost 4-0. That first 10 minutes were the best they can play and it's not good enough. They can't sustain it for 60 minutes and even if they did, the Kings could still win.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:03 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Hanzal should get plenty. Send a message, 15 games.

I know that won't happen, but they should just start handing out lengthy suspensions on this stuff if they want to cut it down.

I expect he'll get one game, mainly because of the trifecta that's working in his favor; playoffs, no injury and no history. I doubt Shanny let's that hit go without a suspension since it was pretty ugly, but I doubt he gets more than a game as well.

Doan, no discipline needed. He could have let up a bit more, but Lewis turned when he seen Doan coming too. You have to protect yourself as well.

Morris, that was a terrible hit IMO, he stuck his leg way out and (it seemed to me) targetted the knee of Scuderi. Late in a game that you're already frustrated in and getting blown out (play wise, if not score wise) and you pull a hit like that? Inexcuseable. But because there was no injury, there's no discipline? Come on.

Same with Smith and his slash. Goalies get away with that crap to much.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:10 AM
tantrum4*

I think the NHL got them all right. Hanzal deserves a game, Doan doesn't, Morris doesn't even though he did attempt to knee Scuds but you can't suspend on intent if there was no contact, and Smith deserved the 2 minutes he got for slashing. Goalies chop guys all the time in front of the net, it's no different than a player getting a slashing penalty. I've always hated the way Smith plays but it's not like the took a baseball bat type swing at Brown like our assistant GM Ron Hextall did to Nillson.

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:11 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
I think the NHL got them all right. Hanzal deserves a game, Doan doesn't, Morris doesn't even though he did attempt to knee Scuds but you can't suspend on intent if there was no contact, and Smith deserved the 2 minutes he got for slashing. Goalies chop guys all the time in front of the net, it's no different than a player getting a slashing penalty. I've always hated the way Smith plays but it's not like the took a baseball bat type swing at Brown like our assistant GM Ron Hextall did to Nillson.
There was contact on Scuderi.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Mats26
Cup Champs

I am ok with Gretzel getting a hearing, let's hope its 1-2 games. But I expect Morris and Doan to be targeted next game. No way you let these guys run over your players like that. Watch for Doan to get hit hard and often , same way we did to Backes in game 3.

Mats26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:12 AM
SLang

Hanzal should get at least two. Deserves more but no history and playoffs games are historically worth 2 reg season games....so 2 games would be like a 4 game suspension.

Doan shouldn't get any. Was a 2 minute penalty board, but Trevor's bleeding so the ref has not choice but 5 and a game misconduct. It is what it is.

Smith won't get jack for that hack.

Morris won't get anything either - wasn't that egregious.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:17 AM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats26 View Post
I am ok with Gretzel getting a hearing, let's hope its 1-2 games. But I expect Morris and Doan to be targeted next game. No way you let these guys run over your players like that. Watch for Doan to get hit hard and often , same way we did to Backes in game 3.
Sutter won't allow them to be targeted in this series. He said as much last night on the post game presser. He's not going to allow bad penalties that take the Kings focus off the prize. It's quite amazing to watch.

He did, however, throw in a cryptic line, something about how now wouldn't be the right time for retaliation - "another time, another place". So If I were Morris, Doan, or Hanzal, I'd be skating with eyes in the back of my helmet during the first Kings/Coyotes game next season.....

Edit....god that NHL.com video page is such a POS.....you need the patience of a saint to find your way around it........but if you want to see the comment it's at 1:34 of the video of the Sutter presser from last night....

Last edited by SLang: 05-16-2012 at 11:27 AM.
SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:19 AM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
There was contact on Scuderi.
Not with his knee there wasn't, or Scuderi would be out with a torn ACL/MCL right now and we'd be talking about how many games Morris will be suspended for.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:32 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
He did, however, throw in a cryptic line, something about how now wouldn't be the right time for retaliation - "another time, another place". So If I were Morris, Doan, or Hanzal, I'd be skating with eyes in the back of my helmet during the first Kings/Coyotes game next season.....

Winning is the best revenge here, and hope we can escape without injuries if Tippett is going to continue condoning douchery. You'd better believe these teams' first meeting next year is gonna be ugly, though.

Hanzal deserves the hearing, but I'm pretty shocked Morris isn't even getting a lecture. I think that one was the dirtiest and most premeditated. But hell, at this point, fine Tippett

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:39 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Not with his knee there wasn't, or Scuderi would be out with a torn ACL/MCL right now
Not every knee to knee hit results in someone on the sidelines for 6 months. There was direct contact, watch it yourself:

http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/#clip680185

Morris hit is at 25 seconds.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Hanzal has little or no history. I don't know if he is going to get more than a fine
Did Bitz have a history in round one on Clifford? Hanzel should definately get at least a game.
I don't think that Smith should be suspended but would like a fine so that he builds a history. Such a hot head goalie. I wouldn't be surprised to see him fight. He is the type of player I hate on other teams but would probably cheer for if on LA.
If this was regular season I would be calling for Morris to be suspended for one as he had his knee extend a mile before the hit. Because it's the playoffs I think fine as well.
As far as Doan, I think the league should rescind the game misconduct.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:58 AM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Not every knee to knee hit results in someone on the sidelines for 6 months. There was direct contact, watch it yourself:

http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/#clip680185

Morris hit is at 25 seconds.
I've already seen it 100 times, not worthy of a suspension. Just like every Kings player that has ever gotten a kneeing penalty and didn't get suspended. But like I said before, if he did make contact with Scuderi's knee and injured him, there's no question he'd be suspended

Old
05-16-2012, 12:11 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
I've already seen it 100 times, not worthy of a suspension. Just like every Kings player that has ever gotten a kneeing penalty and didn't get suspended. But like I said before, if he did make contact with Scuderi's knee and injured him, there's no question he'd be suspended
No, you said before if he had made contact Scuds would be out with a torn ACL/MCL.

Frankly, whether or not there's injury shouldn't be the point for the NHL, not if they want to at least diminsh the occurances of these. That goes for everyone, Kings player or not. Intent is there. I know no suspension/fine/discipline will come, but that is bush league stuff. Period.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:31 PM
lumbergh

Quote:
The only thing that saved Scuderi from serious injury there is that he had no weight on his right leg, which was up off the ice at the time. It shouldn't be a question of whether Scuderi was injured. That's a dirty play straight out of Bryan Marchment school.

It shouldn't take a Jason Allison-type injury to suspend a player. If you're going to try to deter players from doing things like sticking out your knee, you must make them pay the price before an injury happens.

lumbergh is offline   Reply With Quote