HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Ironically, earlier that day, Hodgson’s teammates had playfully taped a “C” "

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-16-2012, 11:43 AM
  #51
GoTeamDom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 942
vCash: 500
I wish this new cycle would just die.

Next we're going to hear about how Hodgson's girlfriend thinks sushi is better in Buffalo.

Then we're going to have the Province selling "Team Cody" and "Team Zack" t-shirts.

What's done is done, learn from it and move on.

And to comment on the news story, it's a bunch of older vets razzing on the new kid who probably didn't have many friends on the team. Think about it as a 22 year old, the only people in his age group are Dale Weise and Chris Tanev. Of the more established players, only Edler and Hansen are under 27. And neither of them are part of the 'cool kids club.'

Honestly it's like none of you here have ever been on sports teams, had weird co-workers or remember what highschool was like. Not everyone is bros even if you're building towards the same goals.


Last edited by GoTeamDom: 05-16-2012 at 11:52 AM.
GoTeamDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:46 AM
  #52
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckmatch View Post
So, you're saying that the way he played in Buffalo with completely different linemates, in a different system, after no real practice time with a completely different organization is how he would have played here?

You're post is ridiculous by even using his Buffalo numbers to suggest that is how he would have done here. It's also ridiculous to judge him on 13 games this season.

Wow.
You must have followed Buffalo down the stretch, to see what the 'golden boy' was doing there, no?

He started with on a line with Stafford and Ennis and looked like utter garbage...They called up a kid (Foligno) with not much more 'chemistry' with the team.

They placed him on that line in place of Hodgson, and it became the leagues hottest line.

Hodgson didn't start contributing until they put a perennial 40 goal man on his line.

I dont see anything ridiculous in Tiranis' post. The 13 games that lead up the TDL were the games to judge him by. Let me guess, you'd use the 10 January games to judge him?

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:46 AM
  #53
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!
 
Eddy Punch Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chillbillyville
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
You guys are just joking, right? There's no need to call Red Light Mosquito "Red Neck Mosquito" here.

I think Mosquito brings up a pretty good point, we've beaten the Hodgson story to death. At this point, we're just flogging a dead horse. The storm troopers just make it extra special.
Yes. 100%.

I'd be surprised if he didn't see it that way too. If not, then I apologize.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:50 AM
  #54
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
You must have followed Buffalo down the stretch, to see what the 'golden boy' was doing there, no?

He started with on a line with Stafford and Ennis and looked like utter garbage...They called up a kid (Foligno) with not much more 'chemistry' with the team.

They placed him on that line in place of Hodgson, and it became the leagues hottest line.

Hodgson didn't start contributing until they put a perennial 40 goal man on his line.

I dont see anything ridiculous in Tiranis' post. The 13 games that lead up the TDL were the games to judge him by. Let me guess, you'd use the 10 January games to judge him?
Another problem was that the Sabres were one of the hotest teams in the league for a time after the trading deadline. Hard for anyone not too look good in that kind of atmosphere. Zero pressure/nothing to lose.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:55 AM
  #55
struckmatch
Registered User
 
struckmatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
You must have followed Buffalo down the stretch, to see what the 'golden boy' was doing there, no?

He started with on a line with Stafford and Ennis and looked like utter garbage...They called up a kid (Foligno) with not much more 'chemistry' with the team.

They placed him on that line in place of Hodgson, and it became the leagues hottest line.

Hodgson didn't start contributing until they put a perennial 40 goal man on his line.

I dont see anything ridiculous in Tiranis' post. The 13 games that lead up the TDL were the games to judge him by. Let me guess, you'd use the 10 January games to judge him?
How are the 13 games that lead up to the deadline "the games to judge him by" - ???

Am I missing something, was this some sort of "extra special regular season game stretch playoffs" or something?

I would judge him on the whole season, not on 10 games in January or 13 games in February.

Once again, I'm unsure how you can tell me about his stats and his play in Buffalo (where I know he struggled to start with) and expect those to communicate to me how he would have played here?

How are those two things related?

struckmatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:13 PM
  #56
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckmatch View Post
How are the 13 games that lead up to the deadline "the games to judge him by" - ???

Am I missing something, was this some sort of "extra special regular season game stretch playoffs" or something?

I would judge him on the whole season, not on 10 games in January or 13 games in February.

Once again, I'm unsure how you can tell me about his stats and his play in Buffalo (where I know he struggled to start with) and expect those to communicate to me how he would have played here?

How are those two things related?
Because we saw him play here.

He was a .5 PPG player at best.

He clearly hadn't earned anything more than 3rd line ice and 2nd unit PP...they were even going to his PP unit more, yet he still *****ed about it.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 02:19 PM
  #57
asdfman
Weeeee
 
asdfman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Canucks had 3 big meetings with Hodgson to try and reign in the situation. They did everything in their power to appeal to him and he still requested a trade last season right after we lost in the SCF. What a joke. He's onto his 3rd or 4th agent now. The only other guy I've heard of switching agents that quickly is Kabanov.

So many blind Hodgson fanboys, it's unbelievable. How can you call yourself a Canucks fan when you seem to have a higher opinion of a spoiled rookie who couldn't wait for his opportunity?

asdfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 02:40 PM
  #58
BloatedGuppy
Registered User
 
BloatedGuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckmatch View Post
How are the 13 games that lead up to the deadline "the games to judge him by" - ???

Am I missing something, was this some sort of "extra special regular season game stretch playoffs" or something?

I would judge him on the whole season, not on 10 games in January or 13 games in February.

Once again, I'm unsure how you can tell me about his stats and his play in Buffalo (where I know he struggled to start with) and expect those to communicate to me how he would have played here?

How are those two things related?
Those who are defending him and advocating that he was the solution to all the team's offensive woes are usually using a similarly tiny stretch of time (January) to make their projections from.

He was a 20 goal, 40 point player. He basically put up near identical numbers to Chris Higgins, only in more games. If anyone thinks that was the answer to toppling a team that is now 10-1 in the post season whilst giving up a whopping 1.45 goals per game, that person is delusional.

And we can speculate all day long who the bigger baby is between Gillis, AV and Hodgson. None of us have any facts. All we have is our personal bias as to whose side of the story we choose to believe. It's not like the Canucks have never soured a relationship with a prized prospect before, and it's not like a rookie has never acted like a brat about ice time before, either. But what's done is done, guys. Why are we STILL wringing our hands over it?

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:03 PM
  #59
JuniorNelson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: E.Vancouver
Country: Australia-Aboriginal
Posts: 4,787
vCash: 500
Remember when he beat Thomas? Remember how he acted? Remember how the bench acted? There seemed to be a problem already.

I liked Hodgson. I was hoping he quickly outgrew his off ice issues. Bad advice has cost Vancouver before. Umberger got into an adversarial negotiation with Burke. It does go on. I don't think it says anything about the team management, or even the player. Its a people thing.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:12 PM
  #60
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Remember when he beat Thomas? Remember how he acted? Remember how the bench acted? There seemed to be a problem already.

I liked Hodgson. I was hoping he quickly outgrew his off ice issues. Bad advice has cost Vancouver before. Umberger got into an adversarial negotiation with Burke. It does go on. I don't think it says anything about the team management, or even the player. Its a people thing.
I dont recall? Just watched it again too.

He acted like NHL goal scorers act, the players on the ice celebrated with him, and the bench 'high 5'd' him as get skated by.

Would you elaborate on how you interpreted that.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:20 PM
  #61
The Optimist
Registered User
 
The Optimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SFU
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,197
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
If the Canucks extend AV, they might as well trade Schroeder the same day.
So if Schroeder is never traded will Hodgson fans finally accept that their golden boy perhaps does bear some responsibility?

The Optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:26 PM
  #62
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,850
vCash: 500
Next year we will hear about how he loves the fans more in Buffalo or some bs. Who cares anymore? Cody is gone, probably for the rest of his career. Let's focus on more important things for our franchise.

__________________

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:40 PM
  #63
lush
@jasonlush
 
lush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,342
vCash: 500
While the addition of the "C" on his sweater is new news, it's the only new news in that article. It's being overblown here though. Seriously, how can anybody infer what the team thought of this kid by an anecdote like that? I can't even imagine how many prank like actions and comments occur between the players on a daily basis, this seriously means less than nothing

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:48 PM
  #64
Alan Jackson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
While the addition of the "C" on his sweater is new news, it's the only new news in that article. It's being overblown here though. Seriously, how can anybody infer what the team thought of this kid by an anecdote like that? I can't even imagine how many prank like actions and comments occur between the players on a daily basis, this seriously means less than nothing
It's not even new news. See the article I linked earlier in the thread. You're right though - it's an utterly meaningless anecdote.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:16 PM
  #65
The Pucks
Registered User
 
The Pucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
It's not even new news. See the article I linked earlier in the thread. You're right though - it's an utterly meaningless anecdote.
What the news is, is the fact that Hodgson felt inclined to have it included an obviously biased article as evidence of what a great leader he is, when in fact there is a very good chance it was one of his team mates giving him a low blow.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:34 PM
  #66
Alan Jackson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
What the news is, is the fact that Hodgson felt inclined to have it included an obviously biased article as evidence of what a great leader he is, when in fact there is a very good chance it was one of his team mates giving him a low blow.
Um, Hodgson didn't write the article. You're reaching, at best.

Were his teaming busting his balls? Yes.

Is that news, or an indication of anything even worth mentioning? No.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:40 PM
  #67
The Pucks
Registered User
 
The Pucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post

Is that news, or an indication of anything even worth mentioning? No.
Thats your opinion and your entitled to it, just as its my opinion that it is worthy of discussion.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:41 PM
  #68
The Pucks
Registered User
 
The Pucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
Um, Hodgson didn't write the article. You're reaching, at best.

Were his teaming busting his balls? Yes.
Hodgson didnt write the article, but his or his families fingerprints are all over it.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:13 PM
  #69
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!
 
Eddy Punch Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chillbillyville
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTeamDom View Post
I wish this new cycle would just die.

Next we're going to hear about how Hodgson's girlfriend thinks sushi is better in Buffalo.
Dump the skank. There is no chance in hell that sushi is better in Buffalo.

I've had sushi back east where they used a whole carrot stick over julienned carrots in their California rolls. Blasphemy!

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:27 PM
  #70
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,365
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckmatch View Post
This entire situation with Cody Hodgson is a massive failing on the part of the Canucks management and coaching staff, there is no other way around it.

Our medical staff misdiagnosed him, our coach called him out in his first training camp and basically threw him under the bus, didn't trust him, didn't play him enough despite being one of our best players, and now the Canucks are airing all of this in the media and in the public forum.

I honestly don't care what you say, I understand he asked for a trade, it should never have gotten to that point. Ever. Mike Gillis should have reigned in this situation better than he did, letting it get to the point where he asks for a trade and wants to leave your organization is a failing on his part as a General Manager.

From all account, Cody was a smart hockey player with a good head on his shoulders - he had that reputation in Junior and has the support of others within the hockey industry backing this up.

We all heard when he was drafted "he's beyond his years in maturity, he's a smart player, etc" then all of a sudden when he becomes a Canuck, he has character issues and whines every day? I have a hard time saying the Canucks are innocent in all of this, in fact, I blame them more than I blame Cody Hodgson.

I think its completely clear to ANYONE that AV's strong point is definitely not bringing along young players. He simply just doesn't have it in him. If chasing away your top prospect (who is also your General Manager's first and signature draft pick) doesn't prove that to you, I feel sorry for you.

One of the dumbest responses to trading Cody was how "he was never going to have an opportunity to surpass Kelser or Henrik" - I think that Jordan Staal is doing well behind Malkin and Crosby? Last I checked depth at centre is a key reason why teams win championships right?

This trade will be completely analyzed in a few years after we see what Kassian is or isn't...but it further gutted this team offensively this year and the return (Kassian) did absolutely nothing to help us in our cause to make a deep playoff run.

The Canucks failed HARD here and if you analyze the situation, there's no way around it.
I tend to agree with everything you said. I don't really "bring the heat" to Gillis a whole lot, because I think he's a very good GM but this is one of his biggest mistakes here. Forget the Grabner trade, that actually made a whole lot of sense when it was made. To draft this great player, have his coach rip Cody publicly and stand by his coach in such a public insult...to me, if I'm Cody Hodgson I'm absolutely disgusted that my own team that is supposed to believe in me would do that. The sheer lack of trust and respect to Cody was just unprofessional, plain and simple.

I don't blame management for the way they treated Cody this season, which is why I really thought we had something going. Cody was finally living up to his sky-high expectations as a prospect, scoring big goals in big games, given fair ice-time and IMO a lot of opportunities to succeed in Canuck blue. Then he was traded. Now even if I do believe everything management said about Cody, and yes, I do believe he asked for a trade. Then I still wonder why the hell that isn't a trade made this offseason, except for maybe they felt compelled to get Pahlsson NOW. The trade was a complete, out of left field thing and didn't need to be made at that point in time and really to me said they were giving up on the season in a way. I make that trade in July, August, September not in February.

It's sad that the first pick Gillis made (a beauty pick, might I add) had to be mistreated like that. But I am pretty happy with the return.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:46 PM
  #71
billvanseattle
Registered User
 
billvanseattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bellingham
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,079
vCash: 500
gonna drive down that part of the road in the middle. It seems to be utterly clear of traffic in this thread.

(I hope my point isn't too obtuse).

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:15 PM
  #72
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckmatch View Post
I think its completely clear to ANYONE that AV's strong point is definitely not bringing along young players. He simply just doesn't have it in him.
AV has his problems but that really is hardly one of them or at least it's wrong to make blanket statement like that. Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa (to a degree), Burrows, Schneider, and Hansen would disagree with you.

No doubt he 'rubbed some people the wrong way' but you're never going to please everyone in the locker room (nor should you try). Harry Neale once said, you're often going to have one-third of the team for you and one-third of the team against you. The trick is to get the remaining one-third to your side.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:02 PM
  #73
ddawg1950
Registered User
 
ddawg1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crossbar View Post
Next year we will hear about how he loves the fans more in Buffalo or some bs. Who cares anymore? Cody is gone, probably for the rest of his career. Let's focus on more important things for our franchise.
Yeah, I'm really getting the feeling he might not be back.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:51 PM
  #74
mossey3535
Registered User
 
mossey3535's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Then I still wonder why the hell that isn't a trade made this offseason, except for maybe they felt compelled to get Pahlsson NOW. The trade was a complete, out of left field thing and didn't need to be made at that point in time and really to me said they were giving up on the season in a way. I make that trade in July, August, September not in February.

It's sad that the first pick Gillis made (a beauty pick, might I add) had to be mistreated like that. But I am pretty happy with the return.
Again, lots of blame to throw around here. Gillis, CoHo, CoHo's camp, AV - they all suffered from a failure to communicate.

Cody's impact here is always going to be debatable. But his skill brought a dimension that we simply didn't have after he was gone - sure he was not a steady point-scoring player. But the kinds of goals he scored could not be duplicated by the guys left behind. And I think that was a loss we couldn't compensate for.

The reason they didn't trade CoHo in the off-season is because Kassian was available at the time because Buffalo was pushing hard to make the playoffs. The Sabres probably looked at it as trading a raw guy (and more importantly, winger) who wasn't really playing for someone like CoHo who had shown he could produce points at the NHL level and who still had room to improve. They also needed a centre.

From our side, Kassian is the type of prospect who looks like he was built to play for AV. He also fits in with the types of players that MG has drafted with the exception of the 1st round, when he went for the most skilled players available.

I am not so upset at the CoHo trade as I am that Kassian wasn't given a chance to succeed when he got here. We never really saw what he could do, and given the impact of rookies for other teams in the playoffs, I think that was a major mistake.

mossey3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:17 PM
  #75
dave babych returns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
gonna drive down that part of the road in the middle. It seems to be utterly clear of traffic in this thread.

(I hope my point isn't too obtuse).
Say what you will about those beating this dead horse from either side, at least they have the integrity to come down off the fence



Me, I think it's unfortunate what happened with Cody and certainly a lot of unfortunate things happened with him while the Canucks held his rights. To solely hold the Canucks responsible for the eventual falling out or to paint it as some kind of cascading failure going back to the original sin of Hodgson being injured training under Canucks supervision or Alain Vigneault believing what Hodgson and team doctors told him and then making comments based on said beliefs... well, it seems just a little bit silly IMO.

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.