HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Brassard's late season success - sign of things to come? Or not?

Old
05-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Brassard's late season success - sign of things to come? Or not?

13 GP, 4-7-11 in February.
16 GP, 3-8-11 in March.
3 GP, 0-3-3 in April.

25 points in his final 32 games, which translates to 63 points over a full season.

Do you guys feel this will carry over to next season?

Was the key for Brassard the firing of Arniel?

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:49 AM
alphafox

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
16 GP, 3-8-11 in March.
3 GP, 0-3-3 in April.

25 points in his final 32 games, which translates to 63 points over a full season.

I think it indicates two things, Brass is developing and does have talent enough to play in the top 6. It also indicates that Brass may need a specific style of hockey and/or coaching. Brass works well when he can be creative on the ice. Strict rules don't seem to bring out his ability (Arniel) while a more loose style (Richards) let Brass shine.

alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:54 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
16 GP, 3-8-11 in March.
3 GP, 0-3-3 in April.

The guy's work ethic has never been great since he got to the league, its not something he can sustain, he had similar problems with Hitchcock towards the end too. I fully expect a decent rebound season next year, but after that? He seems to burn out on coaching extremely quickly. I expect to see the Brass we saw at the beginning on this season resurface again near the beginning or middle of the 2013-2014 season. I think he's a guy the organization would move, but the value just isn't there, deal-wise.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:22 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
I think it indicates two things, Brass is developing and does have talent enough to play in the top 6. It also indicates that Brass may need a specific style of hockey and/or coaching. Brass works well when he can be creative on the ice. Strict rules don't seem to bring out his ability (Arniel) while a more loose style (Richards) let Brass shine.
This.

If he plays the whole season at a 60+ point level how can anyone say he is not a top 6 center? I think back to his rookie season prior to the Neal fight and he was developing into a special player. Not exactly sure what happened since but he isn't the only jacket not to live up to expectations. Maybe he has found his stride under Richards and hopefully he keeps it whoever the coach is next year.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 05:45 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Much like the rest of the Blue Jackets at the end of the year, the sudden improvement at the end of the year is a consistent trend. But that does not equate to showing vast, sustained improvement.

In other words, no, I don't expect Brassard to be much different next year. I've learned my lesson with this team. Great performances at the end of the year do not translate to being sustained into the next year, especially with a lazy player like Brassard.

Here's to hoping he proves me wrong.

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:26 PM
FANonymous

Like in 8 months...

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:13 PM
FlaggerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
The guy's work ethic has never been great since he got to the league, its not something he can sustain, he had similar problems with Hitchcock towards the end too. I fully expect a decent rebound season next year, but after that? He seems to burn out on coaching extremely quickly. I expect to see the Brass we saw at the beginning on this season resurface again near the beginning or middle of the 2013-2014 season. I think he's a guy the organization would move, but the value just isn't there, deal-wise.
With all due respects from every single thing I've heard work ethic has never been Brass's problem. He's generally one of the last guys on the ice at practice, and has done everything the wanted him to, including an ill-advised weight gain last season.

Brass' issue is confidence. Sometimes people who do care take things too personally, and are the first to squeeze their stick too tight. I think he's one of those, and the doghouse Arniel locked him in only made it worse. Some people respond well to getting yelled at, and probably everyone needs that now and then, but from my sources Brass is more one of those guys who needs cheering when he's down.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
He played well under Richards, I honestly think he gets frustrated with losing. I have no idea what Arniel's approach to him was but I liked the way he responded after Arniel was fired.. Based on flashes of good play I can say with confidence he should be a solid second line center in a few years, some players take time to reach their peak.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:32 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
16 GP, 3-8-11 in March.
3 GP, 0-3-3 in April.

No, he's not available.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote