HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

ISS Top 30, May 2012

Old
05-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Pierre Gotye

vCash: 500
So far Galchenyuk and Teurovainen are the two biggest wildcards of this draft.

Galchenyuk is either going to be a top 5 selection or fall much lower than people anticipate.

I imagine Teurovainen will be selected in the top 10.

At any rate, this is a very interesting draft. Clearly Murray, Yakupov, Forsberg and Grigorenko have the best talent, but then there is a plethora of defenseman behind them all of who have a different style of game attractive to all NHL teams.

Then as you progress further down the top 10 picks you have other wildcards like Faksa,Gaunce, Girgensons, Collberg or Maata, who will either end up as huge steals or big time disappointments.

On top of that, Edmonton and Toronto are both in a positions of strength where they can choose to add depth by trading down, while still addressing team needs. Edmonton would be foolish not to consider Murray. They are already fairly stocked on the top 6, but they could still add a pick or additional NHLer immediately.

Columbus is in a unique situation. The uncertainty of what will happen with Rick Nash and what he will fetch leaves a lot of questions for them. Do they select a winger to replace him, or do they look at a guy like Galchenyuk?

Montreal is also in a weird situation. They could clearly need to add some size up the middle. But it would be hard for them to ignore what Grigorenko or Forsberg would add. They could also surprised by taking Murray.

New York Islanders have needs everywhere. Will probably not trade their pick but again, which player they take will be based off a number of intangibles.

Toronto has been searching for a #1 Center forever. They could clearly explore moving this pick(especially with being tied to the Luongo and Jordan Staal rumors). Galchenyuk is such a wild-card and even though a guy like Grigorenko or Forsberg is attractive at this position it still doesn't solve long-term team needs, in terms of team size, and strength. Of course they could do something highly random and select Trouba, Dumba or Reinhart allowing Burke to move another one of his young defenseman Schenn, Gardiner, Holzer, Blacker, maybe even Percy in a deal to add somewhere else. Or possibly ship a veteran like Liles or Franson who are attractive to many NHL teams.

It will be an interesting draft for sure.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:28 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
I am not sure I follow, Brentbreakaway...are you are aware that Grigorenko is a big center (he is listed at RW in certain places, but he plays C) and Galchenyuk is a 6'2'' center?

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:50 AM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I am not sure I follow, Brentbreakaway...are you are aware that Grigorenko is a big center (he is listed at RW in certain places, but he plays C) and Galchenyuk is a 6'2'' center?
From what I understand he can play both, but has predominately been featured as a RW. But what I am saying is Montreal won't ignore drafting Forsberg or Grigorenko because of their future upside.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:41 PM
Canuck71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
So far Galchenyuk and Teurovainen are the two biggest wildcards of this draft.

Galchenyuk is either going to be a top 5 selection or fall much lower than people anticipate.
I'm sorry I may look like a "homer" here but I really don't think there's any chance Galchenyuk falls lower than people anticipate. Lowest I could possibly see him going is #6 to the Ducks but I don't see that happening. Watching him for a full season last year I liked him even more than Yakupov, his skill set is off the charts. If he played this full season I think him and Yakupov would be the clear cut #1 and #2 overall picks with the possibility of Alex going first.

Marian Hossa clone.

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 05:25 PM
Flames Fanatic
Unclenched

vCash: 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck71 View Post
I'm sorry I may look like a "homer" here but I really don't think there's any chance Galchenyuk falls lower than people anticipate. Lowest I could possibly see him going is #6 to the Ducks but I don't see that happening. Watching him for a full season last year I liked him even more than Yakupov, his skill set is off the charts. If he played this full season I think him and Yakupov would be the clear cut #1 and #2 overall picks with the possibility of Alex going first.

Marian Hossa clone.
Thats what people said about Brandon Gormley, Ryan Murphy, etc.

Players fall every year.

However, that said, I don't expect Alex to be around when Calgary picks at #14 either. I'd still love to get Faksa or Reinhart somehow.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck71 View Post

Marian Hossa clone.
Hossa is a great comparison. I saw him dominate essentially by himself in Chicago for a good season. He controls the offense and is great. An incredibly intelligent player. Yakupov really owes a lot to Galchenyuk for his 101 point season.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 05:32 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

I really don't have disagreement with this list. Might wanna put Hertl a bit higher, and Trouba is surprisingly high to me, but he is a great prospect. I think the reason Trouba doesn't get enough praise around here is because he plays in the USHL and not the CHL, most seem to follow CHL.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 06:13 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Looks like Kerdiles is on a JT Miller-esque rise. I wonder if he goes as high.
he will.

should have been ranked this high all year long.

I have been saying it all year, once the U18 tourney happens, you then see a vault in the US players..which you are seeing here. Trouba now top 5. If Matteau was playing, he would likely be top 20 as well.

I think Kerdiles is a perfect top 15-20 pick as he has offensive skill that has gone under noticed on here for a while...in a draft heavy on defense, players that pour it on by years end offensively will stand out and get picked a bit higher then expected.

Outside of Galchenyuk, all first round picks should be from the USNDP/USHL....unless a team takes a chance on Nieves in the top 30 (though Nieves played for Indiana by the end), it could all be USNDP with Schmaltz in the running as well...

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 06:27 PM
Flames Fanatic
Unclenched

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
he will.

I have been saying it all year, once the U18 tourney happens, you then see a vault in the US players..which you are seeing here. Trouba now top 5. If Matteau was playing, he would likely be top 20 as well.

I think Kerdiles is a perfect top 15-20 pick as he has offensive skill that has gone under noticed on here for a while...in a draft heavy on defense, players that pour it on by years end offensively will stand out and get picked a bit higher then expected.

Outside of Galchenyuk, all first round picks should be from the USNDP/USHL....unless a team takes a chance on Nieves in the top 30 (though Nieves played for Indiana by the end), it could all be USNDP with Schmaltz in the running as well...
Uh, I'm hoping that was an incomplete thought.

Old
05-17-2012, 06:33 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
Uh, I'm hoping that was an incomplete thought.
whats incomplete?

Old
05-17-2012, 06:40 PM
Flames Fanatic
Unclenched

Quote:
whats incomplete?
Correct me if I'm reading wrong, you're suggesting that outside of Alex Galchenyuk, the other 29 first round picks should be USNDP or the USHL.

This notably puts Yakopov, Grigorenko, Maatta, Murray, Dumba, etc. all in the 2nd round.

If that isn't what you're suggesting, then that is the incomplete thought I was pointing out.

Old
05-17-2012, 06:41 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
And I'm really not buying Gaunce... He's not talented enough to be taken top 15 IMO.
Brandon Sutter went 11th overall in his draft year despite never being a high upside type, and he's looking like a solid pick too. Teams will take very good defensive/gritty centers with mediocre offensive upside in the 10-15 range.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Brandon Sutter went 11th overall in his draft year despite never being a high upside type, and he's looking like a solid pick too. Teams will take very good defensive/gritty centers with mediocre offensive upside in the 10-15 range.
Not only that, I've been impressed by his puck protection skills and that he is always contributing, even if that isn't through a goal or an assist.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:46 PM
DJB

vCash: 8579
To me I still think that Grigorenko is the biggest wilcard here.

Massive question marks on work ethic and attitude. Big red flags for me.

Secondly, even though he played in the Q this year, if things don't start going his way once a team drafts him, I could see him bolt to teh KHL. He's going to get a huge contract offer from one of their top teams soon I beleive as well.

Not a big fan of his regardless of the KHL factor. I could easily see him fall outside the top 10.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:52 PM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

Quote:
Correct me if I'm reading wrong, you're suggesting that outside of Alex Galchenyuk, the other 29 first round picks should be USNDP or the USHL.

This notably puts Yakopov, Grigorenko, Maatta, Murray, Dumba, etc. all in the 2nd round.

If that isn't what you're suggesting, then that is the incomplete thought I was pointing out.
Americandream usually slants his posts to American prospects.

I think he meant Americans.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:54 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:

do I even really need to specify this....

Old
05-17-2012, 11:57 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
do I even really need to specify this....
They're trying to argue semantics and it's an annoying trend on HF these days

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:01 AM
Auguste McEscoffier

Edmonton is not "stacked" with top-6 forwards; far from it.

If a team wants to beat the Oilers, all they have to do is focus on whichever line RNH is anchoring, and they can call it a night.

I really wish people who know little to nothing about our team would quit claiming we are weakest defensively, which is simply not true.

Auguste McEscoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:58 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Report Spam @JWK Plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
Edmonton is not "stacked" with top-6 forwards; far from it.

If a team wants to beat the Oilers, all they have to do is focus on whichever line RNH is anchoring, and they can call it a night.

I really wish people who know little to nothing about our team would quit claiming we are weakest defensively, which is simply not true.
You are weakest defensively. Just because you offense isn't stacked doesn't mean it's not better then your defense. On offense you have Hall,RNH and Eberle this could be one of the best lines in hockey. You also have Hemsky and good prospects like Lander/MSP. On defense right now it doesn't look good after Whitney. The only prospect that you have on defense( to my knowledge) that is highely touted is Klefbom.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:23 AM
Czechexpert

Quote:
he will.

outside of final game, Kerdiles was mostly invisible offensively at championship. Based on that tournament, I donīt see enough offensive instinct/creativity to be top 6 forward in NHL.
Regarding Trouba, if you want to draft D like Orpik in top 5, than why not. However I would like to get prospect with higher upside in top 5. Thatīs my opinion.

Czechexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:39 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechexpert View Post
outside of final game, Kerdiles was mostly invisible offensively at championship. Based on that tournament, I donīt see enough offensive instinct/creativity to be top 6 forward in NHL.
Regarding Trouba, if you want to draft D like Orpik in top 5, than why not. However I would like to get prospect with higher upside in top 5. Thatīs my opinion.
luckily many scouts/gm's are seeing that offensive creativity with Kerdiles that has been seen all year long...

Old
05-18-2012, 08:40 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
They're trying to argue semantics and it's an annoying trend on HF these days
I almost felt like John Tortorella there in responding to dumb questions!

Old
05-18-2012, 09:26 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechexpert View Post
Gotta love opinions based off of tournament sized size samples.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
Quote:
I almost felt like John Tortorella there in responding to dumb questions!
Will you keep it in the room?

And Trouba has a lot more upside than to be another Orpik.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:42 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
he will.

Now I'm getting scared, you are the same guy who said Ambroz wouldn't go after the second round last year(where I predicted him to drop like a rock...tehehehe), but I agree with you a bit. I think Kerdiles belongs in the top 25. He's better than Matteau and has been skills than Girgensons of the USHL Forward crop.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote